Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 31st July 2006, 13:26   #21  |  Link
DDogg
Retired, but still around

Quote:
AC3 retention is added, along with extra video resolutions.
Nice work as always, Mr_Odwin! I'm thinking FAVC may take the dual prize of being one of the best working solutions available as well as one of the most unappreciated (seemingly) application around You really have added some astounding functionality. I hope you continue this project.
DDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2006, 22:26   #22  |  Link
Holomatrix
Still Kick'n

Seems like a handy little progy if I could get it to work

I get an error right off the bat;
http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/5055/favchb8.jpg
Any idea as to what I'm doing wrong? Just testing a little AVI file to NTSC DVD conversion. Thanks
Config.ini;
D:\FAVC Output

Last edited by Holomatrix; 31st July 2006 at 22:33.
Holomatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2006, 09:21   #23  |  Link
Mr_Odwin
FAVC Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holomatrix
Seems like a handy little progy if I could get it to work

I get an error right off the bat;
http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/5055/favchb8.jpg
Any idea as to what I'm doing wrong? Just testing a little AVI file to NTSC DVD conversion. Thanks
Config.ini;
D:\FAVC Output
Do you have avisynth v 2.56a or greater installed? It seems that the first file you are trying to convert isn't being read/opened correctly by avisynth. Does FAVC work correctly with any other avi files?

E.g. This file works perfectly on my computer using FAVC:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FVT1VQSV

Last edited by Mr_Odwin; 1st August 2006 at 09:57.
Mr_Odwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2006, 20:46   #24  |  Link
Holomatrix
Still Kick'n

That was it. I was having an Avisynth issue. Thanks
Old 2nd August 2006, 08:18   #25  |  Link
jethro

Looks like a very nice program!

But:
Can somebody tell me why I get this error?

Quote:
System.InvalidCastException: Conversion from string "29.969999" to type 'Double' is not valid. ---> System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
Using defaults. This crash happens with every AVI file.
jethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2006, 09:59   #26  |  Link
Mr_Odwin
FAVC Man

Every avi file? Even the one I posted above?
Any chance you could post a piece of a clip that fails?
http://www.megaupload.com/ is easy to use, and I can access it at work, unlike rapidshare.
Old 3rd August 2006, 08:16   #27  |  Link
jethro

The crash happens with every AVI file no matter what (codec framerate) it is.
After video analysis is fininshed there's message notifying about occurence of "unhandled exception" with options to continue or quit.
Depending on framerate of the file the "conversion from string <framerate>" part changes accordingly (i.e. "25.000000", 23.976025" etc).

I downloaded and installed latest NET framework 2.0 but it didn't help.

Is it just me or has somebody else got this error too?
Old 3rd August 2006, 10:17   #28  |  Link
Mr_Odwin
FAVC Man

Jethro, can you try this build of the exe please? Just replace the existing exe in the FAVC folder. If this causes trouble for anyone else then just say. All seems to work fine at my end.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8FDQTH6H
Old 4th August 2006, 12:25   #29  |  Link
jethro

works!

Thanks for helping.

The exe showed the same error, unfortunately.

I managed to resolve the problem by changing windows regional settings to English (US). Strangely, it was enough. It shows no error now. I think the problem with conversion was due to different decimal separator.
Now I can try to play with the app
Old 4th August 2006, 12:45   #30  |  Link
Mr_Odwin
FAVC Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro
Thanks for helping.

The exe showed the same error, unfortunately.

I managed to resolve the problem by changing windows regional settings to English (US). Strangely, it was enough. It shows no error now. I think the problem with conversion was due to different decimal separator.
Now I can try to play with the app
What were your regional settings previously? In your previous regional settings are decimals normally a comma instead of a period? Why did you go down this route? Any clues?
Old 4th August 2006, 14:27   #31  |  Link
jethro

Yes, it was comma. Most of European countries (I' ve checked just now) use comma.
As I did some (very) basic programming a while ago (and still do from time to time) I think I remembered a similar problem I had with converting strings to numbers.
NET framework seems to be retrieving somehow the windows regional settings and I just had a bit of luck to try changing them.
Old 4th August 2006, 14:38   #32  |  Link
jethro

Just wanted to say that the program is working great and I am amazed that it is so easy now to make DVDs out of AVIs with your tool. The whole process always seemed complicated and time consuming to me to really get down to it.
Now it is one-button-only operation!
Old 4th August 2006, 17:00   #33  |  Link
Mr_Odwin
FAVC Man

Thanks for the kind words. I've been further tinkering and I think the exe at the link below may work for your previous regional settings. Care to try it out for me?

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CM1LKZRO
Old 6th August 2006, 10:32   #34  |  Link
jethro

Your tinkering was succesful .

BTW:Megaupload doesn't work here most of the day (It says: All download slots for your country are taken). I like rapidshare with rapget program as it doesn't require visiting pages I don't want to visit, no needless waiting, no typing hard-to-recognize letters (vide: rapidshare).
Old 11th August 2006, 17:07   #35  |  Link
Mr_Odwin
FAVC Man

Links in the first post have been updated to the newest version of FAVC - 0.51. Because of recent developments with ImgBurn it is now possible to burn a DVD without first creating an iso file, saving much time. Also, TV overscan may optionally be accounted for; 16 pixels around the edge of the video will not be used if this is the case. (Works perfectly for my TV. )
Old 21st August 2006, 15:52   #36  |  Link
DDogg

Download links are presently dead. If somebody has .051 complete at hand, would appreciate an alternate DL, or an email to ddog1953 at yahoo Com
Old 21st August 2006, 16:56   #37  |  Link
Mr_Odwin
FAVC Man

An e-mail from my old ISP this morning:
Quote:
Hi James,

after monitoring your bandwidth over the past few days, your site is continuing to attract over 500MB of data transfer per day. I'm sorry to have to tell you we will be unable to continue to host your website based on your account type and level of traffic. It would appear that the majority of traffic is for the FAVC files, sadly we cannot provide a mirror service for this download.

You can still FTP and transfer your site to your chosen destination.

Regards
Steve

It should be a temporary thing until I can get some more space sorted out. In the mean time here's a temporary location for 0.60 which has provisional support for mov, asf, wmv and avs files.

http://rapidshare.de/files/30230321/FAVC.exe.html
Old 21st August 2006, 17:56   #38  |  Link
DDogg

I think this is actually good news. It clearly shows people are using this excellent program and the low amount of post activity is simply because it works so darn well and is not causing the normal "Wah! it don't work right!" posts.

Great job.

Here is a thought I had today. Some of the folks have puttered around with splitting the avs and using multiple instances of QEnc to encode and then reassemble. Sounds like nearly more hassle that is is worth, BUT

In your case it may be an interesting area as you are prebatching multiple encodes with the bitrates already calculated and then running the encodes sequentially. I wonder if it would be simple to launch 2 at a time (if a checkmark requested it)? As a point of reference, my machine (Pentium 930 Dual running at 4.5 gHz) will run 2 instances of QEnc using trimmed AVS's, each around 55 fps.

I have not thought this out in any detail and bring it up simply as a conversation point.

Last edited by DDogg; 21st August 2006 at 18:16.
Old 21st August 2006, 21:35   #39  |  Link
Mr_Odwin
FAVC Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDogg
I think this is actually good news. It clearly shows people are using this excellent program and the low amount of post activity is simply because it works so darn well and is not causing the normal "Wah! it don't work right!" posts.

Great job.

Here is a thought I had today. Some of the folks have puttered around with splitting the avs and using multiple instances of QEnc to encode and then reassemble. Sounds like nearly more hassle that is is worth, BUT

In your case it may be an interesting area as you are prebatching multiple encodes with the bitrates already calculated and then running the encodes sequentially. I wonder if it would be simple to launch 2 at a time (if a checkmark requested it)? As a point of reference, my machine (Pentium 930 Dual running at 4.5 gHz) will run 2 instances of QEnc using trimmed AVS's, each around 55 fps.

I have not thought this out in any detail and bring it up simply as a conversation point.

*Adds to ever-growing to-do list*
Thanks for the good comments.

I've now got some working links for 0.60 up in the first post.
Old 22nd August 2006, 06:07   #40  |  Link
DDogg

Tinkering around a little -

> Selected 2 avi's and specified 1/2 D1
> Manually stopped the encode that was auto started with title.bat
> Split your title.bat into 3 batch files
> Ran movie1.bat and movie2.bat at the same time - both encoded simultaneously at 95 fps each
> Seems do-able and the mpgs were ok, but the non video encoding steps may need to remain sequential as there was heavy I/O thrashing even on my striped arrays