Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 23rd January 2018, 08:17   #48601  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
Once you set a custom resolution and enable it (either manually in nVidia Control Panel aka NCP or with madVR) are you still able to switch into 10/12 bit color depth?
I'm on the latest fastring of Win10, and using the latest version of the Nvidia driver, using a custom res, it keeps defaulting to 8bit for me - using driver 382.53 it works as it should and defaults to 12 bit with a custom res.

K

Last edited by oldpainlesskodi; 23rd January 2018 at 08:44.
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 09:05   #48602  |  Link
Robominator

Quote:
Madshi, comparing HDR content to SDR it seems like reds a bit off, for example on the HDR version of Blade Runner 2049 the word Replicants is red on the blu-ray but pink on the 4K with HDR -> SDR conversion.
Changing settings doesn't help, this is with high quality hue and compress highlights, I found that 250 nits to be somewhat comparable between versions.
I agree , i found out the same thing.
Robominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 11:22   #48603  |  Link
austinminton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
on the HDR version of Blade Runner 2049 the word Replicants is red on the blu-ray but pink on the 4K with HDR -> SDR conversion.
I use hdr passtrough in madvr on my hdr capable TV and I also get replicants in pink. I have checked this on the uhd with a uhd player and its also in pink.

I am guessing this is on the uhd itself. Not a madvr issue.
austinminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 11:25   #48604  |  Link
ryrynz

Good to know, interesting that they'd change the colors so much between different versions at the same time of release.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 11:30   #48605  |  Link
austinminton

What is more interesting is how did you manage to spot this difference? You have eyes of a hawk!
austinminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 20:52   #48606  |  Link
Braum

When I'm playing content with a very high bitrate like UHD HDR Bluray (overall bitrate > 65 Mb/s with peak at more than 100 Mb/s) the video stutter and I'm dropping a lot of frames.

I've tried playing the file on a SSD and the issue remains.

Some UHD Bluray read flawlessly but other stutter a lot.

Any insight as to why ?

Windows 10
Madvr v0.92.10
Potplayer 64bits v1.7.7145

Intel i5 3570K
AMD 7870XT 2 Go
8GB of ram
Crucial MX100 250Go Sata 6Gb/s
Seagate Barracuda Green 2To Sata 6Gb/s
Braum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 20:54   #48607  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Most definitely running out of power to decode them. High-bitrate HEVC UHD streams require quite a lot of CPU power to decode, and your graphics card is also too old to assist in that process, so yeah. Not enough performance.
Old 23rd January 2018, 21:39   #48608  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braum View Post
When I'm playing c.....
this card, (a) I doubt this card supports 2160p output and if it does you will only get 23,976hz

(b) has no HEVC hardware decoding.

So your cpu is not only crunching through decoding HEVC but also downscaling as well.

IMHO - Best option is to pickup a cheap 4k card, the cheapest you will find used is the RX 460 or Nvidia 1030. Both should play these movies fine with madvr settings at default.

You cpu is ivy bridge so no HEVC hardware decode on there either i'm afraid.

Last edited by mclingo; 24th January 2018 at 01:06.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 22:53   #48609  |  Link
Braum

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Most definitely running out of power to decode them. High-bitrate HEVC UHD streams require quite a lot of CPU power to decode, and your graphics card is also too old to assist in that process, so yeah. Not enough performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
this card, (a) I doubt this card supports 2160p output and if it does you will only get 23,976hz

(b) has not HEVC hardware decoding.

So your cpu is not only crunching through decoding HEVC but also downscaling as well.

IMHO - Best option is to pickup a cheap 4k card, the cheapest you will find used is the RX 460 or Nvidia 1030. Both should play these movies fine with madvr settings at default.

You cpu is ivy bridge so no HEVC hardware decode on there either i'm afraid.
Indeed, the four threads of my cpu are at 100% utilization @4.41Ghz, I should have thought about it
The GPU is doing nothing. Well it's time for an upgrade !

Thank you for your answer !
Braum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 03:38   #48610  |  Link
Megalith

* "remove compression artifacts" now always runs as part of NGU (if possible)

Am I the only one who doesn't like this change? Can't this feature inadvertently soften or smear the image? (My philosophy is that imperfections in the image should be left alone if it is part of the source.)
Megalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 04:00   #48611  |  Link
ryrynz

You still have to tick to enable 'remove compression artifacts' and be running NGU (sharp only still I believe) it's just there's no option to run it separately like there used to, which makes sense as it's basically free with NGU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
1) How does NGU Sharp + the new lowest RCA strength 1 look to you? Maybe NGU Sharp (only High and Very High) should always run with RCA strength 1 now, even if RCA is turned off? Or is it still better to allow NGU Sharp + RCA off?
Best to keep it as something you enable, based on what I've seen even at 1 it ever so slightly softens the picture although one could argue this would be almost imperceptible it doesn't seem to offer much if any benefit IMO.
If it only targeted what is humanly seen as "artifacts" then it wouldn't be a problem, personally I'd find deblocker + derainbow algos more useful. In what situations does RCA offer it's best results? Anyone got any screenshots or sample to share to see it in action?

Last edited by ryrynz; 24th January 2018 at 05:02.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 10:01   #48612  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwc18 View Post
Yes. You first select a standard setting which offers 12 bit color. Then, when madvr switches modes to your custom setting (say 4K@23), it will use 12 bit color. When using HDMI 2.0, 12 bit color is not supported in 4K50 or 4K60 modes. However, the NVIDIA interface will allow you to choose 12 bit color for these modes. If you select 12 bit color for either mode, it will still use 8 bit at 4K50/60 because that is all that the HDMI connection will allow, but when you switch modes to 4K30 or below, it will use 12 bit color.
Not sure that's true, if 4k = 3840x2160, I sure can use 12 bit @50-60 hz with chroma set to @4:2:0 with GTX 960 and GT 1030...are you saying that this is not possible if you make a custom resolution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwc18 View Post
madshi,

Would you mind clarifying how to go about generating a 3D LUT for BT.2020 content mastered to the DCI-P3 colorspace (basically all UHD Blu-Rays thus far)? You mentioned before that DCI-P3 within a BT.2020 container is basically just DCI-P3. However, if I try to generate a 3DLUT for DCI-P3, wouldn't that result in wrong colors since my projector can only accept BT.2020?
My understanding is that you don't calibrate to DCI-P3 with Bt.2020 content, you always do BT.2020 LUT conversion to your screen capabilities, unless you truly have content that's DCI-P3 and that doesn'r really exist afaik...the conversion from DCI-P3 to BT.2020 or XYZ for cinema is done post-grading...there are no official DCI-P3 files

Last edited by mytbyte; 24th January 2018 at 10:16.
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 10:13   #48613  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte View Post
Not sure that's true, if 4k = 3840x2160, I sure can use 12 bit @50-60 hz with chroma set to @4:2:0 with GTX 960 and GT 1030
You never want to set Chroma to 4:2:0 though, its like the worst choice for quality. Always prefer 4:4:4/RGB in 8-bit over some 4:2:0 mode in 12-bit.
Old 24th January 2018, 12:35   #48614  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
You never want to set Chroma to 4:2:0 though, its like the worst choice for quality. Always prefer 4:4:4/RGB in 8-bit over some 4:2:0 mode in 12-bit.
Where I agree in principle I honestly can't see any difference at all in real world viewing on my 4k setup and having everything in the chain set as 4:2:0 just makes everything more simple as you're not left wondering if everything is switching properly between 444 and 420 when you are playing 4k HDR vs 4k vs 4k SDR, everything just plays using the same settings.

I dont doubt i'm losing something somewhere but convenience wins out on this occasion, however, if someone could point to a real world clip where I could definitely see a difference i may change my mind.
Old 24th January 2018, 12:56   #48615  |  Link
ashlar42

madshi, I see you explain how zoom control doesn't work when using D3D11 decoding in LAV Filters, I've also discovered that hardware deinterlacing through madVR doesn't work as well (when using 3D11 decoding).

Is this something that's going to change in the future or are there insurmountable obstacles stopping that?
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 15:52   #48616  |  Link
Statick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clammerz View Post
Advanced media players should be able to handle your zooming requirements. Zooming is usually controlled by the media player.
I'm specifically using the zoom function in MadVR because of the superior scaling algorithms compared to media players. it does the job well, except for zooming away top and bottom bars which I would prefer it did not do
Statick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 17:13   #48617  |  Link
brazen1

Quote:
Where I agree in principle I honestly can't see any difference at all in real world viewing on my 4k setup and having everything in the chain set as 4:2:0 just makes everything more simple as you're not left wondering if everything is switching properly between 444 and 420 when you are playing 4k HDR vs 4k vs 4k SDR, everything just plays using the same settings.

I dont doubt i'm losing something somewhere but convenience wins out on this occasion, however, if someone could point to a real world clip where I could definitely see a difference i may change my mind.
On the contrary, it's a nightmare and a constant switching guessing game. 4k exclusively might be one thing but start adding diversity of other types of sources like 3D and players such as PDVD and dedicated ROMS. You'll quickly find yourself MANUALLY switching Full vs Limited in your display constantly and the 'auto' setting isn't going to cut the mustard. This is because displays are unique and have a preference. For your visual test, play your good looking 4k. Then play a 1080 2D or 3D. Then play a disc in your dedicated player. After that play anything with PDVD that is locked in RGB Full. If you can't notice the difference, simply manually switch your display Full vs Limited setting during playback of each test provided you've also calibrated each. RGB Full across the board has none of these clashes because it allows Full where 420 and 422 are Limited only. There are many other differences such as Desktop vs Video modes. Although 420 is convenient for you, I don't think it's a good general practice for others.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 17:43   #48618  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen1 View Post
On the contrary, .....
no knightmares for me, no switching anything, no need to change between full and limted on anything, not sure what you are referring to.

The point of using this is that I dont have to switch anything once you got your colour space chain right.

One problem I was getting was that I'd get audio dropouts when using 444 full RGB when playing 4k stuff, mainly high bit rate and HDR stuff and far more black screens and loss of HDMI, even though it was in 23p and should not have been a bandwidth issue. 1080p playback was flawless though so it does suggest bandwidth. This happened even after checking and replacing all my cabling and ensuring my full equipment path fully supported HDMI 2.0.

I am considering taking another look at this as I'm thinking of scrapping HDR, after comparing some of the latest HDR offerings to their SDR versions they are either only slightly better or worse. Star trek 2009 looks terrible on my TV.

My TV is a first gen HDR TV how with relatively low nits so this is expected.

Last edited by mclingo; 24th January 2018 at 17:50.
Old 24th January 2018, 17:54   #48619  |  Link
brazen1

I think I made it obvious to exactly was being referred. Did you happen to test any of those scenarios or just making assumptions that you're unaffected by them? If you only see a slight difference SDR to HDR, consider what is being explained to you. Then again, perhaps your display isn't capable of the full benefits of modern sources, software, and hardware after all and no amount of massaging is going to relieve your experience.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2018, 18:46   #48620  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
The point of using this is that I dont have to switch anything once you got your colour space chain right.
I don't understand, you don't have to switch anything if you simply use 8-bit RGB, and that would be the better option.

Also your dropout issue is probably cables or devices, I have had many HDMI cables that claimed to be 2.0 but had issues. 4:2:0 uses half the bandwidth but as way to get around bad HDMI cables it seems like a horrible sacrifice in quality. We are talking about madVR here.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling