Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th December 2017, 21:01   #21  |  Link
sneaker_ger

wait, what
It can't be that easy. What were they thinking? Should I stockpile these for later ebay use now?
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 21:31   #22  |  Link
BRC85sYrg

what about the LG BH14NS40?

would it be possible to read and decrypt UltraHD discs on it?

The specs say it supports BD-R QL:
http://www.lg.com/us/support/product...s/BH14NS40.pdf

Is someone who owns such a device willing to try it out and share the result?

thank you.
BRC85sYrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 21:46   #23  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRC85sYrg View Post
what about the LG BH14NS40?

would it be possible to read and decrypt UltraHD discs on it?
Hi @BRC85sYrg,

A few weeks ago I asked much the same question here: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=175009
Old 7th December 2017, 22:38   #24  |  Link
BRC85sYrg

thanks for your answer SeeMoreDigital.

I'm aware of the deuhd compatibility list.

But I think they just didn't test the drive I posted about. So my question is still unanswered.

My goal:
If the datasheet is faultless I will try to buy this now discontinued drive to test out it's lightscribe feature and at the same time have a UltraHD friendly drive with AACS 1.0.

Edit:
found a thread which explains it does work if it's a second gen BH14NS40 (SVC. Code NS50, 2015+)
source: https://club.myce.com/t/lg-wh14ns40-...d-discs/313420

Last edited by BRC85sYrg; 13th January 2018 at 13:47. Reason: was already answered in June 2016 in another forum
BRC85sYrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2017, 21:02   #25  |  Link
candela

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
wait, what
It can't be that easy. What were they thinking? Should I stockpile these for later ebay use now?
Well apparently it works according to people on makemkv forum and myce forums. I just ordered a drive in case they release some 4K movies I actually want to buy in the future
candela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2017, 23:29   #26  |  Link
KaraokeAmerica

LG Drives

I own the following LG drives:

WH14NS40 v1.01
BH10LS30 v1.00
WH16NS60 v1.00

The last one is labeled a UHD drive so I'm guessing it will not be "friendly". However, I am not sure about the other two.

I have a WH16NS40 coming next week. It would be nice to find out though that, one or more of my existing drives would work!

I also have a Plextor PX-940SA. It's not currently installed and there is no more Plextor support for it at all that I'm aware of.
KaraokeAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 19:28   #27  |  Link
MikeN

Using ANYDVD my drive gives an error which states:-

Drive supports bus encryption!
Disc wants bus encryption!
couldn't retrieve AGID (bus encryption)!
ERROR processing Blu-ray disc!

Can someone translate or have I wasted over £150 on this drive and will be unable to copy UHD discs

(apologies if this has been posted previously)
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2018, 00:03   #28  |  Link
candela

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
Using ANYDVD my drive gives an error which states:-

Can someone translate or have I wasted over £150 on this drive and will be unable to copy UHD discs

(apologies if this has been posted previously)
You can probably use DeUHD with that drive which will cost you another few $100. The VUKs are useless for you until an AACS 2.0 certificate is made public (or Redfox/MakeMkv/Dvdfab stop pretending they don't have one already)
candela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2018, 15:31   #29  |  Link
RedFox 1
RedFox Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by candela View Post
You can probably use DeUHD with that drive which will cost you another few $100. The VUKs are useless for you until an AACS 2.0 certificate is made public (or Redfox/MakeMkv/Dvdfab stop pretending they don't have one already)
Where did you get that information?
RedFox 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2018, 17:09   #30  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by candela View Post
First of all the VUK are NOT useless if you've got an UHD friendly drive. AnyDVD uses a similar approach as other tools to decrypt UHD titles based on the VUK's in the config file.

I'd also love to see your proof to where ANY redfox staff member said they had a certificate, or proof to your claims that they had one but are hiding it. You seem to be severely underestimating how difficult AACS 2.0 is and it's requirements (and dependencies like Intel SGX for certain playback methods). If redfox had a certificate i'm pretty damn sure they wouldn't be using a half baked solution such as the VUKs.

James (Lead Anydvd developer) said it himself that he only added the VUK method to keep a minor batch of ppl happy, including himself.

So, before you go make claims as to ANY party (whether it's RedFox or someone else) has a valid host certificate but are deliberately hiding it, make damn sure you've got the proof to back it up.

No software developer wants ppl to rush over to their support staff / forums with "hey, decrypting UHD title X using software Y doesn't work. Someone on forum Z said you could do it" after spending lots of cash to get the needed hardware, and having to disappoint the users.

Many of you may know Redfox 1 and myself from the Redfox forums and i am pretty damn sure they DO NOT have any valid host certificate. Both of us have direct line (as in among other things working mailboxes for the staff) to the staff and we'd know if they had.
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2018, 03:54   #31  |  Link
Maxiuca

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
I had the same issue with the Buffalo drive recommended for DeUHD. DeUHD can use a couple of drives that officially support UHD BD and AACS 2.0, so probably they've found some kind of a workaround (the demo version of DeUHD did work with that drive).

The VUK method needs an older drive that only uses AACS 1.0. I've just received my LG BE16NU50 from newegg and the decryption works with both AnyDVD and MakeMKV out-of-box.

Last edited by Maxiuca; 10th January 2018 at 03:56.
Maxiuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2018, 04:21   #32  |  Link
KaraokeAmerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxiuca View Post
I had the same issue with the Buffalo drive recommended for DeUHD. DeUHD can use a couple of drives that officially support UHD BD and AACS 2.0, so probably they've found some kind of a workaround (the demo version of DeUHD did work with that drive).

The VUK method needs an older drive that only uses AACS 1.0. I've just received my LG BE16NU50 from newegg and the decryption works with both AnyDVD and MakeMKV out-of-box.

Can you please explain this more?

I already owned two LG Blu-ray drives (I don’t have the models in front of me) but neither was one of the “friendly” models that I found in the forums that would work with the VUK method. So I bought the same NU50 drive that you just did. Haven’t even installed it yet it’s firmware revision 1.02 based on the sticker.

I also have one brand new LG Blu-ray drive that is advertised as UHD capable and comes with software to play 4K disc’s. I haven’t even tried anything with that yet Other than regular Blu-ray’s.

Are you saying that any of my LG Blu-ray drives that possibly I already have will work with the VUK method assuming I don’t upgrade the firmware?

For the record I haven’t tried actually ripping a 4K disc at all yet. I only own one and it’s guardians of the galaxy 2. I haven’t even had time to play with it.

Thanks for posting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10th January 2018, 08:11   #33  |  Link
Maxiuca

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraokeAmerica View Post
Can you please explain this more?
I'll try

I haven't dug into this very deeply, so anyone please feel free to correct my bullshit, but basically you have 3 kinds of Blu-ray drives currently available on the market (or the aftermarket):

- "old" drives that use AACS 1.0 and are not physically (and/or firmware wise) able to read the "new" UHD discs (which hold up to 66 GB on two layers or 100GB on three layers)

- "new" drives that still use AACS 1.0 but implemented some more recent Blu-ray spec (which was and might still be in development) that also included all current physical formats, including BDXL discs as well as UHD discs

- "newest" drives that are UHD certified, so basically they use AACS 2.0, follow recent BD specs, usually come with UHD software players bundled.

The VUK method (so AnyDVD/MakeMKV and the keyfile) will only work with one the "new" drives. My NU50 drive came with 1.01 firmware (and I'm keeping it that way), but I haven't seen anyone reporting those drives not working.

DeUHD probably has some additional code (they found a workaround or a loophole) and it can work with at least one of the "newest" drives (namely the Japanese Buffalo drive) to decrypt the UHD disks. Since their software can't break just any disk and you can still use some of the "new" drives with DeUHD I think their decryption method still relies on VUK keys and some "exploit" that enable the usage of the "newest" drives.

To sum it up, yeah, you should be able to rip your disk of GotG2 if you can find the VUK key matching your disk ID.

To get the disk ID you need to calculate the SHA1 checksum (hash) the AACS\Unit_Key_RO.inf file on the disc.
You can do it online (onlinemd5.com) or using your own preferred tool.

You'll find the VUK keys here: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=120988&page=26
Maxiuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2019, 23:44   #34  |  Link
KaraokeAmerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxiuca View Post
I'll try

I haven't dug into this very deeply, so anyone please feel free to correct my bullshit, but basically you have 3 kinds of Blu-ray drives currently available on the market (or the aftermarket):

- "old" drives that use AACS 1.0 and are not physically (and/or firmware wise) able to read the "new" UHD discs (which hold up to 66 GB on two layers or 100GB on three layers)

- "new" drives that still use AACS 1.0 but implemented some more recent Blu-ray spec (which was and might still be in development) that also included all current physical formats, including BDXL discs as well as UHD discs

- "newest" drives that are UHD certified, so basically they use AACS 2.0, follow recent BD specs, usually come with UHD software players bundled.

The VUK method (so AnyDVD/MakeMKV and the keyfile) will only work with one the "new" drives. My NU50 drive came with 1.01 firmware (and I'm keeping it that way), but I haven't seen anyone reporting those drives not working.

DeUHD probably has some additional code (they found a workaround or a loophole) and it can work with at least one of the "newest" drives (namely the Japanese Buffalo drive) to decrypt the UHD disks. Since their software can't break just any disk and you can still use some of the "new" drives with DeUHD I think their decryption method still relies on VUK keys and some "exploit" that enable the usage of the "newest" drives.

To sum it up, yeah, you should be able to rip your disk of GotG2 if you can find the VUK key matching your disk ID.

To get the disk ID you need to calculate the SHA1 checksum (hash) the AACS\Unit_Key_RO.inf file on the disc.
You can do it online (onlinemd5.com) or using your own preferred tool.

You'll find the VUK keys here: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=120988&page=26

Thanks! Sorry for the slow reply!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25th April 2020, 20:33   #35  |  Link
Dasa21

Hello, welcome to ask why BD Rebuilder ver. 0.61.05 still converts DTS-HD XXL 7.1CH audio to DTS 5.1CH? At the same time, I have set the original English soundtrack to 7.1ch during compression. I convert 4K movies with 85 GB to 50 GB. Please advise where I make mistakes.
Dasa21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2021, 00:23   #36  |  Link
microhunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Okay...

If you put aside the data decryption side of things. Can people extract all the data from UHD disc's with one of these LG BH16NS55 drives?

Cheers
Yes no problem. You can flash the firmware on this drive from the current firmware which should be 1.05 encrypted if it is a brand new drive.

You can crossflash this drive to Hitachi WH16NS60 on firmware 1.02mk which will be compatible with MakeMKV.

You can then backup your personal discs to a lossless format. You can backup to a MKV file or full folder backup with menus.

There is plenty of useful threads on MakeMKV for flashing this drive. Search the user asmcon who I am sure will help you out with your BH16NS55/BH16NS40 drive. If the drive is older than 2015 then you might not be able to read UHD discs. Drive Platform MT1939 is not supported. If you install MakeMKV and loaf a UHD disc in the drive you will see if your drive build is MT1959 which is supported.

Hope this helps
microhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2021, 21:00   #37  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by microhunt View Post
Yes no problem. You can flash the firmware on this drive from the current firmware which should be 1.05 encrypted if it is a brand new drive.

You can crossflash this drive to Hitachi WH16NS60 on firmware 1.02mk which will be compatible with MakeMKV.

You can then backup your personal discs to a lossless format. You can backup to a MKV file or full folder backup with menus.

There is plenty of useful threads on MakeMKV for flashing this drive. Search the user asmcon who I am sure will help you out with your BH16NS55/BH16NS40 drive. If the drive is older than 2015 then you might not be able to read UHD discs. Drive Platform MT1939 is not supported. If you install MakeMKV and loaf a UHD disc in the drive you will see if your drive build is MT1959 which is supported.

Hope this helps
Thanks. I managed to sort out how to back-up 4K UHD discs more than three years ago using an ASUS BW-16D1HT drive