Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd September 2008, 12:22   #21  |  Link
Soulhunter
Bored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaBoy View Post
There was Matroska DRM discussions for a few years ago but in the current anti-DRM environment, its hard to say. I'll ping the guys on it.
Would be also interesting for personal use imo! Adult content on ya PC -vs- your kids, private content on your cellphone or laptop -vs- your class mates or working colleagues, etc... ;]

Bye

Visit my IRC channel
Soulhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 01:48   #22  |  Link
Ajax_Undone
I dont care so should you

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaBoy View Post
and Matroska menus will not be used? IE; http://www.tuaw.com/2008/09/01/apple...ractive-album/

Now integrate PictureFlow into Matroska 2.0 Menu's and you have a killer combo ;-)
Wow thats interesting can't wait
Old 5th September 2008, 00:55   #23  |  Link
BlackSharkfr

I have a small request for matroska 2.0.
That is more Stereoscopic-3D tags on video streams.

Matroska currently only supports dual-stream left and right (and what's center ?)
But since no Stereoscopic3D player can read dual-streams yet, nobody uses the feature. It's a bit of a chicken and egg issue.

I believe that if you also added single-stream tags for formats which stereo-3d videos currently use, like :
-side by side left/right and right/left
-over/under left/right and right/left
-interlaced 3D streams
Right now, users must specify to the player which configuration is used in the file, or use specific naming conventions to have it auto-detected. It's not friendly.

If matroska had these tags it could be useful and maybe act like a trojan horse for matroska file format in the Stereo-3D community.
Obviously you'd also need to contact 3d player authors to tell them about matroska and how to interact with the haali splitter, but reading an information for a format your player already needs should be much much easier to implement than writing the whole simultaneous dual stream support.
BlackSharkfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2008, 04:48   #24  |  Link
chadamir

I think people would use menus if they were from the original dvd and automated/easier to reproduce. As it stands theres no way to backup a dvd and retain the original menus but use say x264 afaik.
chadamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 11:39   #25  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Location: Lowestoft, UK (but visit lots of places with bribes [beer])
I was looking at doing the same thing with MP4, but couldn't make it work effectively. There are also no good players around for it.

Looking at another thread, what about seamless branching? If a spec was defined for it, I'm sure that'd please a lot of people backing up DVDs/HD content.
Old 9th September 2008, 12:17   #26  |  Link
Disabled

I'd like to be able to change the framerate of the video dependant on what audio stream I select - Ie have dual audio with 23.976 fps Film audio and 25fps PAL (I know the audio does not have a framerate, but its length is accordingly).
Disabled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2008, 13:15   #27  |  Link
Lele-brz

Hi,
Is there an option to multiplex with Matroska 2.0 and place the Cue at the beginning of the file. This will make possible to HTTP stream a mkv video.
thanks
Lele-brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2008, 22:06   #28  |  Link
Dreassica

Something like attaching a substream to 1 audiostream so it doesnt play with the other in a dual language audio mkv would be a nice feature to add.
Dreassica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 02:46   #29  |  Link
m0rbidini

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond
what we are seeing here more seems to me like a "i want everything, although i will not use it"
Not really. I think it's more like:

"I want a "1-click-feature-complete-DVD-backup-in-one-file" taking about 1/3 the size of the DVD and that a dumbass like me can easily use and easily play almost everywhere."

When something like this exists you'll see many people using it. I'm fortunate enough to have many TBs of storage available but I'm eager for the moment to convert the hundreds of DVD images and save TBs of storage without noticeable loss of quality and features.
m0rbidini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 08:41   #30  |  Link
littleD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disabled View Post
I'd like to be able to change the framerate of the video dependant on what audio stream I select - Ie have dual audio with 23.976 fps Film audio and 25fps PAL (I know the audio does not have a framerate, but its length is accordingly).
You can change fps of any track during muxing
littleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 09:05   #31  |  Link
Disabled

No, I want a dual audio file where one audio is in PAL length and the other is in Film length, thus the framerate has to be changed according to the audio stream I choose during playback.
Old 13th September 2008, 18:08   #32  |  Link
littleD

Can u explain what advantage is to changing fps during playback rather than set proper fps during muxing? (Apart from giving additional tough work to splitter?)
Is saving original fps the issue? Isnt fps ratio restored from track after extracting from mkv btw?
Yeah my english is bad
Old 14th September 2008, 09:09   #33  |  Link
Disabled

The thing is I have a Vid in 24fps Film with english audio and I'd like to mux my Pal audio together with the english one without resampling and transcoding any of them. Thus I have the problem that I want to have two different audios with two different lengths that should fit the same video.
Old 14th September 2008, 09:50   #34  |  Link
littleD

I ve got your point already Anyway i still claim u can do what u want in mkvmerge by otion called "stretch by". The question is: is it harmless to audio (video, sub) to set 24fps, then mux? When extracted from mkv, the pal fps will be restored? If yes, u shouldn be aware of loosing quality as muxing is not transcoding, right?
Old 14th September 2008, 10:10   #35  |  Link
Disabled

Ah ok, I know about the "stretch by" option, but it doesn't work as it should (at least the last time I tried). The Player would need to resample the audio during playback and that is not done.
Old 30th March 2009, 17:54   #36  |  Link
Egh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulhunter View Post
Would be also interesting for personal use imo! Adult content on ya PC -vs- your kids, private content on your cellphone or laptop -vs- your class mates or working colleagues, etc... ;]
There are much more powerful and reliable tools to protect sensitive data. Primary purpose of DRM is to limit file distribution. Hardly possible when open source codecs are involved

I would like to have a protection which would stop people from demuxing / ripping the tracks from MKV. But even that much is impossible to do with open source codecs (as anyone can fork them to turn this protection off).
Egh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 18:25   #37  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

please dont forget to correct that red colour issue with the new version of the splitter, if that hasnt been done already (the picture of current haali renderer is too reddish).
Thunderbolt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 17:50   #38  |  Link
Sukrim

http://forum.corecodec.com/viewtopic...1.0;wap2#p7902

Quote:
Well the plan was to announce our plans for 2.0... atm we are still working on EBML 2.0 and just finished the data store for it. I would look for a statement late Q1 of 09.... but it will be for the Matroska Foundation first.
I looked, but no statement... any updates?

/me wants to rip DVDs with menus and stuff...!
Sukrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 02:18   #39  |  Link
BetaBoy
CoreCodec Founder

It is a work in progress.... the current high adoption rate in hardware is actually slowing devel for 2.0 and allowing us to think through things some more as we move towards 2.0.

http://corecodec.com
BetaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2009, 14:10   #40  |  Link
WestFlame

So, anything new with Matroska 2.0? It's been a while since last update and still no news. :-(

Last edited by WestFlame; 21st June 2009 at 16:25.
WestFlame is offline   Reply With Quote