Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 28th December 2005, 03:13   #221  |  Link
stax76

I've uploaded another 64 bit hotfix which searches now in both sys dirs: http://www.planetdvb.net/staxrip/StaxRip_Hotfix.zip
Old 28th December 2005, 03:16   #222  |  Link
Nrmf

so how do i install
Old 28th December 2005, 03:19   #223  |  Link
Nrmf

ok i unzipped it and clicked on .exe and downloaded what it says it was missing and now it says all application are ok
Old 28th December 2005, 03:24   #224  |  Link
Nrmf

ok look slike i get an StaxRip error Box....an error occured while processing DGIndex

edit DGIndex or send bug report
Old 28th December 2005, 08:32   #225  |  Link
stax76

@Nrmf

Probably some wrong configuration or another 64 bit bug. If you don't find a problem you can always make a bug report.

@Aladdin

Here is a thread about avi demuxing:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=104698

Last edited by stax76; 28th December 2005 at 09:27.
Old 28th December 2005, 14:58   #226  |  Link
Nrmf

well it seems that it doent generate a bug report properly either
Old 28th December 2005, 15:15   #227  |  Link
Nrmf

whats your email
Old 28th December 2005, 15:39   #228  |  Link
stax76

That's much of a problem because I cannot fix a bug without a bug report. My email address can be found in the support section of the help.
Old 28th December 2005, 15:42   #229  |  Link
Aladdin

@Stax

Simply passing a small script to VD from the command line seems to work just fine.

Code:
// $numjobs 1
// $script

VirtualDub.Open(<'\' escaped path to .avi file>,"",0);
VirtualDub.SaveWAV(<'\' escaped path to .wav file>);
VirtualDub.Close();

// $endjob
//
//--------------------------------------------------
// $done
Save to script.vcf and invoke with
Code:
VirtualDub.exe /s"script.vcf" /x
AVI2WAV seems to work just fine in most cases. Maybe you could add the use of VD as a demuxer as an option for people who prefer it or for the cases in which AVI2WAV fails.

BTW, I just noticed the fact that the files that AVI2WAV choked on contained a VBR stream doesn't seem to be the problem. Other avi files also containing such a stream are handled without a problem by AVI2WAV. I'm starting to think that if noone else has had a problem with AVI2WAV there is no need to implement an alternative at all.

Last edited by Aladdin; 28th December 2005 at 15:49.
Old 28th December 2005, 17:12   #230  |  Link
chiklit
The Ultimate Lens

This is my first post here so hopefully you won't find me to be a nuissance.

Anyway, I just tried the program out and while it seems like a good concept, I'm not to sure about the implimentation.

Some gripes I have with the program:
  • It requires .NET (I'm glad they at least partially got rid of this in Delphi 2006, but no such luck for VB). IMHO .NET is just some bloated thing Microsoft invented to try and intigrate everything but it just seems to bog prorgams written in it down.
  • Everytime you do something for the first time a help windows pops up right in front of the window you were just about to work in. This doesn't really seem necessary since there's a help button on almost every form and makes using the program for the first time really annoying.
  • When it crashes it doesn't ask where to save the debug file. I don't know about everyone else but my desktop is not a place where I'd put a file I actually want to find :P
  • This might be because I downloaded the source instead of the release, but once I tried to load a file for the first time it poped up asking me to download a bunch of programs. Most of them I already had installed but it either found the wrong version or didn't find them at all. It would be nice to be able to simply tell it the directory for each of the apps in addition to being able to download them. A download all function would also be nice. If this is different in the non-source release then just ignore this.
  • When you do something there isn't much indication that what you did had any effect. Like when I uncheck resize the resize options don't disable themselves and still allow me to change them leading to some confusion as to whether or not resize is actually disabled. Same with crop when you disable it the cropped size is still shown as different under the input file instead of the same as the original.
  • The interface is a bit counter-intuitive at least for me. It took me a couple of seconds to realize that I needed to use the next button to go forwards, I was looking for an 'Encode' button and though the next button was just to go to the next hint down at the bottom.

Now for the bugs I saw:
  • This might not be a bug but even though noise and subtitle are shown on the filters setup box they don't show up in the list on the main form.
  • When it asked me to perform a compressability test it poped open a dos window but even after a few minutes it didn't seem to be doing anything so I ended up aborting.

Suggestions:
  • It's sort of difficult to tell what encoder and muxer your using you should probably use a check menu to indicate what encoder/muxer your using. It would also be nice to have the option to change these from the main form without having to go to the menu since it's one of the most often changed settings.
  • It'd be nice to have the program recgonize irregular resolutions from the uncropped/resized original instead of just on the resize adjuster since it still let me encode even though x264 said that since one of the demensions was not divisible by 16 it might effect the compression.
  • Since you already have the box at the bottom indicating what all the buttons do you should probably also have a tooltip on the labels for things like quality and compressability saying what the numbers there indicate.
  • This might just be this one error, but when you have crop disabled and then go to crop in the menu instead of saying that the filter setup doesn't allow cropping it should say something like "You must enable crop in the filters list first." Or when you uncheck crop in the filters list disable crop in the menus options.
  • There doesn't seem to be a precise way to adjust the cropping. You might want to do something like in virtualdub with cropping so you can adjust the values more precisely.
  • I don't really know why this occurs so it might be a bug but when you switch to x264 in the encoder menu it also switches to mp4 in the muxer options if this is a bug then ignore this, but if it's a feature then the menu option should probably only do what it says since having it change both the encoder and the muxer when you only expect it to change the encoder is a bit confusing.

Sorry if I came off as a bit over critical and I understand that the program is still in testing but hopefully you found some of my suggestions useful.

Last edited by chiklit; 28th December 2005 at 17:17. Reason: Adding bullets to list.
Old 28th December 2005, 18:13   #231  |  Link
stax76

@chiklit

Thanks for your feedback. Is it possible you rush things a little bit?
Old 28th December 2005, 18:22   #232  |  Link
chiklit
The Ultimate Lens

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax
@chiklit

Thanks for your feedback. Is it possible you rush things a little bit?
You mean judging too quickly or working too fast? Or perhaps a little of both
Old 28th December 2005, 19:06   #233  |  Link
stax76

I mean for instance point 4, but there are many rushed points.

Quote:
This might be because I downloaded the source instead of the release, but once I tried to load a file for the first time it poped up asking me to download a bunch of programs. Most of them I already had installed but it either found the wrong version or didn't find them at all. It would be nice to be able to simply tell it the directory for each of the apps in addition to being able to download them. A download all function would also be nice. If this is different in the non-source release then just ignore this.
There is a Search button in the External Applications dialog to locate existing apps. This button is well documented in the help that pops up when the dialog is opened the first time, it has a tooltip like everything.
Old 28th December 2005, 19:35   #234  |  Link
chiklit
The Ultimate Lens

Quote:
I mean for instance point 4, but there are many rushed points.

There is a Search button in the External Applications dialog to locate existing apps. This button is well documented in the help that pops up when the dialog is opened the first time, it has a tooltip like everything.
Yeah, I noticed that, but I figured it'd be eaiser to configure that by just specifiying a directory like when you went to the external app menu you could pick and app and then double click under where it says path and just specifiy a path in addition to being able to use the search function to find things. I think "Searches a already installed application." should be "Searches for an already installed application." though

As for being rushed, yeah I did write that a bit hurriedly since those were only my first impressions, if there's anything else you want me to elaborate on let me know. I'd help fix some stuff myself since I've been programming in VB and Delphi for about 6 years now but since I mostly program in Delphi now I don't have Visual Studio installed.

Last edited by chiklit; 28th December 2005 at 20:00.
Old 28th December 2005, 19:59   #235  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Yeah, I noticed that, but I figured it'd be eaiser to just let the user tell the program where each specific app is like when you went to the external app menu you could pick and app and then double click under where it says path and just specifiy a path, having to go to the whole process with the search menu and having two different kinds of searchs seems like a bit much to just specify a single directory.
There is probably room for improvements but no matter how you do it it will be boring to pick up the paths. Currently I don't have a clear vision how to improve it so I hope to get feedback to clear the fog.

Quote:
double click under where it says path and just specifiy a path
You mean extending the custum control to add sort of button?
Old 28th December 2005, 20:02   #236  |  Link
chiklit
The Ultimate Lens

Quote:
You mean extending the custum control to add sort of button?
Yeah something like that. Like in avisynth's installer when you pick to install the vdub plugin you click the [...] button and tell it where the virtualdub directory is.
Old 28th December 2005, 20:16   #237  |  Link
stax76

I agree it would intuitive but still hope to find a way avoiding to mess with my custom control as it takes time. It can scroll, scale but non of the item classes can embed child controls yet.
Old 28th December 2005, 20:35   #238  |  Link
chiklit
The Ultimate Lens

You could add another button to the toolbar with something like "Specify Location"
Old 28th December 2005, 20:47   #239  |  Link
stax76

I'll add it.
Old 28th December 2005, 22:14   #240  |  Link
mulrich
n00b in trouble

I don't know if this has already been requested, but I don't have time to read through all pages now: can you add an option to hardsub? I tried to add a filter to use TextSub, but AviSynth just complained about not knowing the command.
Closed Thread

Tags
gui, h.264, h.265, hevc, mkv, x264, x265