Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 4th December 2011, 17:54   #1321  |  Link
glc650

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
The GT 520 is too slow, there is nothing you can do (except replace it)
What would be the recommended replacement? I dont care about games, just video playback.

thanks,

->g.
glc650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 11:26   #1322  |  Link
DragonQ

Gt 430.
DragonQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 20:55   #1323  |  Link
glc650

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
Gt 430.
So something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814133356

Would be that big of an improvement over my Gt 520?

Which series has enough horsepower to run with the "High-Quality Processing" option checked?
Old 5th December 2011, 22:06   #1324  |  Link
Asmodian

Yeah that is the lowest end card that can do 1080i60 CUDA decoding and deinterlacing with MadVR at full quality.

The improvement over the 520 is higher quality deinterlacing and full quality MadVR for 1080p60. The 520 is fine for 1080p24/25/30.

Last edited by Asmodian; 5th December 2011 at 22:09.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 17:17   #1325  |  Link
joeydrunk

I read somewhere that lav cuvid cant do software/hardware deinterlacing of commom cable encodes.- here:"LAV video decoder can't handle common American digital cable encodings with either software YADIF or hardware DXVA/EVR hardware deinterlacing (most video cards) because of this problem.": "program changes from 29.97 and 59.9401 while playing the exact same content, you are seeing bad metadata embedded in the signal. This is commonly referred to as the 29/59 frame rate switching issue or the 29/59 bug. Stuttering may be observed with the frame rate switches from 29.97 to 59.9401 or vice versa. This is due to the GPU changing the state of the de-interlacer/interlacer and falling behind."

Is this true and are you planning on fixing the issue? What is the best current way{software and hardware} to deinterlace these streams? Under known issues you state: "VC-1/MPEG4-ASP VFR content will most likely not play properly." Is this the same as above problem?
joeydrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 18:04   #1326  |  Link
mkanet

Part of that was my post. You are taking these quotes out of context. First see if you even have the issue described.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydrunk View Post
I read somewhere that lav cuvid cant do software/hardware deinterlacing of commom cable encodes.- here:"LAV video decoder can't handle common American digital cable encodings with either software YADIF or hardware DXVA/EVR hardware deinterlacing (most video cards) because of this problem.": "program changes from 29.97 and 59.9401 while playing the exact same content, you are seeing bad metadata embedded in the signal. This is commonly referred to as the 29/59 frame rate switching issue or the 29/59 bug. Stuttering may be observed with the frame rate switches from 29.97 to 59.9401 or vice versa. This is due to the GPU changing the state of the de-interlacer/interlacer and falling behind."

Is this true and are you planning on fixing the issue? What is the best current way{software and hardware} to deinterlace these streams? Under known issues you state: "VC-1/MPEG4-ASP VFR content will most likely not play properly." Is this the same as above problem?

Last edited by mkanet; 13th December 2011 at 18:28. Reason: grammatic
mkanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 22:26   #1327  |  Link
joeydrunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
Part of that was my post. You are taking these quotes out of context. First see if you even have the issue described.
I don't have the issue described, this stuff is my life and I like to learn as much as humanly possible. I tried not take it out of context thats why I copied everything you said word for word and put it in quotations. Please tell me where I am wromg, this is what I am trying to figure out. I am also going to buy a ceton tuner and would like to know exactly what I am getting into.

Last edited by joeydrunk; 13th December 2011 at 22:32.
Old 13th December 2011, 22:30   #1328  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
I don't have the issue described, this stuff is my life and I like to learn as much as humanly possible. I tried not take it out of context thats why I copied everything you said word for word and put it in quotations. Please tell me where I am wromg, this is what I am trying to figure out. I am also going to buy a ceton tuner and would like to know exactly what I am getting into.
Windows Media Center, that's what. The ceton is a cablecard tuner if I'm not mistaken. As such the recordings *could* be protected depending on what channel you're recording. If it's protected you're not doing much with that recording outside of MC or an MC extender. For other recordings, I assume it records in standard WTV format. I've not had a lot of luck with that format and using open source to play them. It requires a lot of MS crap to be in the chain to split it properly and all that fun nonsense. Personally I just take them and convert them to MPG. I realize this doesn't answer your questions about deinterlacing, but, I wanted to make sure you were fully aware of what a ceton tuner brings to the table. Sorry for the OT nature of my post.
Old 13th December 2011, 22:36   #1329  |  Link
joeydrunk

Quote:
Those two quotes are exactly the points I want to adress. The first quote written by you said lav dosn't work because of THIS problem. The "this" wich I have in capitals was a link you posted to the problem, wich is the second quote I adress. I didn't take the whole thing but what I have in qutorations is the main point of it.
Old 13th December 2011, 22:42   #1330  |  Link
joeydrunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Windows Media Center, that's what. The ceton is a cablecard tuner if I'm not mistaken. As such the recordings *could* be protected depending on what channel you're recording. If it's protected you're not doing much with that recording outside of MC or an MC extender. For other recordings, I assume it records in standard WTV format. I've not had a lot of luck with that format and using open source to play them. It requires a lot of MS crap to be in the chain to split it properly and all that fun nonsense. Personally I just take them and convert them to MPG. I realize this doesn't answer your questions about deinterlacing, but, I wanted to make sure you were fully aware of what a ceton tuner brings to the table. Sorry for the OT nature of my post.
Right on, thanks. Good to know.
Old 13th December 2011, 22:46   #1331  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Right on, thanks. Good to know.
NP. I've looked into them myself and opted for a TiVo Elite instead. The TiVo format being something easier to work with than WTV IMO. And for protected channels I just blast them out to my HD PVR's. Works very well. Also, since you'll be stuck in MC land for those recordings, your interlacing stuff will be handled by EVR. If you reencode it to MPG then you'll have to worry about what LAV Video is doing.
Old 13th December 2011, 23:25   #1332  |  Link
mkanet

The reason I said out of context is because I wasn't referring to just cablecards or windows media center necessarily. I don't have either and have that issue.

Quote:
Those two quotes are exactly the points I want to adress. The first quote written by you said lav dosn't work because of THIS problem. The "this" wich I have in capitals was a link you posted to the problem, wich is the second quote I adress. I didn't take the whole thing but what I have in qutorations is the main point of it.

Last edited by mkanet; 13th December 2011 at 23:27.
Old 14th December 2011, 02:49   #1333  |  Link
mkanet

Hi Joeydrunk, this is the link specfic to ceton/Windows media center. Bottom line, you will have stutter on some premium TV channels; especially Comcast unless you use one of the display cards mentioned here. SamuriHL is right, although, its pretty easy to replace the builtin mpeg2 decoder using the Media Center Decoder Utility, it will only playback the channels that don't have the copy protection flag set (Verizon FIOS doesnt enforce this flag, Comcast does). So, if you're a FIOS customer, just replace the MS DTV decoder with the Dscaler IVTC mpeg2 decoder... and you're on your way to very high quality TV playback at 24hz!

Honestly , I think the best way to do this is to just choose one of the video cards mentioned in the below link if that's an option. Although, they dont do 3/2 pulldown removal like dscaler IVTC does, it has been reported that playback is very smooth with these cards. I definitely would have bought an Nvidia GeForce GT 440 instead of a 545GT if I had access to the list of cards listed in this link.

Quote:
Old 14th December 2011, 04:27   #1334  |  Link
glc650

Quote:
I definitely would have bought an Nvidia GeForce GT 440 instead of a 545GT if I had access to the list of cards listed in this link.
Why a 440 instead of 545?
Old 14th December 2011, 07:08   #1335  |  Link
robpdotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Whether or not the content is protected should depend on how your cable company flags the channels. If done properly, any Media Center recordings should be flagged the same as a TiVo recording - if you can't play it outside of MC, then you can't transfer it from a TiVo to a PC. So, you would be stuck playing them in MC, just as you would be stuck playing them on a TiVo.

As far as playing it with open source players, you just need to use LAV Splitter and it should be no problem. The only problem is live TV - for that it is best to use the Microsoft splitter.

I rarely watch anything live, so LAV Splitter is fine for me - I use Dscaler for telecined content, and LAV Video to decode everything else. I can deinterlace the video with yadif, madVR,... nothing gives me any problems.

I have the Ceton tuner and I love it. I use it combined with a rather inexpensive Hauppage tuner, letting the Hauppage tuner handle everything that I don't need a cable card for. I had TiVo for about 10 years, but I like MC just fine (better in some ways, not as good in others) - and it's free.
AMD 6870

Last edited by robpdotcom; 14th December 2011 at 07:18.
robpdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 14:24   #1336  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpdotcom View Post
Whether or not the content is protected should depend on how your cable company flags the channels. If done properly, any Media Center recordings should be flagged the same as a TiVo recording - if you can't play it outside of MC, then you can't transfer it from a TiVo to a PC. So, you would be stuck playing them in MC, just as you would be stuck playing them on a TiVo.

As far as playing it with open source players, you just need to use LAV Splitter and it should be no problem. The only problem is live TV - for that it is best to use the Microsoft splitter.

I rarely watch anything live, so LAV Splitter is fine for me - I use Dscaler for telecined content, and LAV Video to decode everything else. I can deinterlace the video with yadif, madVR,... nothing gives me any problems.

I have the Ceton tuner and I love it. I use it combined with a rather inexpensive Hauppage tuner, letting the Hauppage tuner handle everything that I don't need a cable card for. I had TiVo for about 10 years, but I like MC just fine (better in some ways, not as good in others) - and it's free.
I have a hauppauge 950q that I use for a few recordings in MC. I have some issues trying to play them with nothing but lav filters. It could just be how mc17 builds the graph. I haven't tried it in mpc-hc. Maybe I should experiment with that some more. With the TiVo if I have a protected channel, I can simply record it using one of my HD pvr's. It'd be far more difficult in my case to do that from a ceton tuner. They look awesome and I came really close to getting one, but in the end I do love my TiVo's.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
Old 16th December 2011, 11:04   #1337  |  Link
spartan711

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvi...GPU,14274.html

Could this be of any help nevcairiel?

If you want to get access to it, I can try going through my university...
spartan711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 13:53   #1338  |  Link
aufkrawall

Can CUVID be used to decrese CPU load?
Even with it I can't play x264 lossless RGB smoothly since my Phenom II X4 is too slow for it.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 08:51   #1339  |  Link
Mikey2

LAV CUVID vs CoreAVC with NVidia SLI?

Since I have an over-clocked Quad-core CPU (Q6600 running at 3.6 GHz instead of the default of 2.4 and my FSB running at 400 MHz instead of 255...i.e. a 50% overclock) and a relatively weak set of NVidia graphic cards (2 8600GT cards running in SLI,) and since running the Video Decoding at in Software mode or hardware-mode makes no quality difference, I used to run LAV Decoder in software mode, thus freeing up my graphics cards to run madVR with the best upscaling etc and HW De-interlacing if needed.

However, I recently ran across a wonderful new AviSynth sharpener - "LSFMod" (Normal call format: "LSFMod(defaults="slow",ss_x=1.0,ss_y=1.0,strength=80)".) This sharpener is good enough to warrant HW upgrades; however, I cannot afford any right now. (It takes a lot of CPU processing power (even on my system.))

Thus in order to play-back without frame-drops I needed to free-up my CPU thus switch to HW Video decoding. However, I was having problems with LAV's CUVID [version .43 - the one integrated with the normal LAV Decoder.] But when running with CoreAVC it played back smoothly.

It took me a while to figure it out, but using GPU-Z I found that using CoreAVC [in Cuda mode] it correctly split the Video Decoding on one of my SLI'd Video-cards and put most of the rendering work on the other GPU.

However, LAV CUVID, even in SLI, it put essentially all the work onto just one of my two graphics cards!

I'd like to go back to LAV (for many reasons, like most of us here, I love LAVFilters) but I cannot (at least in HW/CUVID mode) until this is fixed. Is this a known issue? Is there something I could be doing in my setup differently?

Here are some GPU-Z screenshots, playing 720P "Kingdom of Heaven" with Avisynth's LSFMod on and MadVR set to its best upscaling (IMHO) (Softcubic 100/4-tap Spline.)

(The key parts to note are the "Video Engine Load" - that is the HW Decoding (it is completely 0 when using Software Decoding.) And the two fields above it ("GPU Load" and "Memory Controller Load" - those are the rendering loads - which cannot be helped when running a 1080P video (especially one up-scaled using MadVR...)) Notice on CoreAVC one GPU takes most of the Rendering Stuff and leaves the Decoding on the other card. But LAV CUVID throws both the decoding and the rendering on a single GPU and leaves the other card to essentially do nothing.)

LAV CUVID GPU loads
-----------------------

CUVID GPU (Video-card) #1

CUVID GPU (Video-card) #2

CoreAVC GPU loads
-----------------------

CoreAVC GPU (Video-card) #1

CoreAVC GPU (Video-card) #2

Thanks much in advance for your help!
MikeY

PS - Notice that the total percentages are much higher for CoreAVC - that is why most people agree that LAV is a better decoder and most people don't see this problem; however, the distribution of the processing over SLI is what is causing LAV to drop frames continuously while allowing CoreAVC to play without frame-drop for me.

Last edited by Mikey2; 13th January 2012 at 08:56.
Mikey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 11:38   #1340  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Can CUVID be used to decrese CPU load?
Even with it I can't play x264 lossless RGB smoothly since my Phenom II X4 is too slow for it.
At what resolutions and frame rate?

That said, as far as I'm aware no GPU supports AVC lossless anyway...