Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th June 2010, 17:49   #1  |  Link
jcalcote
HTPC Enthusiast

graphedit not showing video stream in m2ts file

I've got a small m2ts file containing two streams:

VC-1 video using profile: Advanced@3, 1920x1080p, 23.976 fr
AC3 audio using profile: 192 Kbps, 48 KHz, 2 channels

I'm running 64-bit Windows 7. When I first tried to drop this file on to graphedit, nothing rendered. I installed the CCCP codec pack and can now render the audio channel in GraphEdit, but not the video. I tried using the DirectShow tweaker tool to change the VC-1 codec to ffdshow (for both 32- and 64-bit DirectShow), but - alas - to no avail.

Please help me figure out how to get DirectShow to render the VC-1 stream in my sample. If I can do this, then I think I might be able to get TMPGEnc 4.0 Xpress to accept this m2ts file as input.

Thanks in advance,
John

Last edited by jcalcote; 9th June 2010 at 19:07.
jcalcote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 19:44   #2  |  Link
jcalcote
HTPC Enthusiast

Okay - I'm really confused now.

I used TSmuxeR to split the m2ts file into the two separate streams, video and audio (which it did very nicely, btw). I then tried opening the ac3 file in graphedit - no problem. When I tried with the vc1 file, I got the usual "unknown format" error that I've been getting on windows from just about every tool I've tried. I also tried opening these files in MS Expression Encoder (3) - again, the audio opened nicely, the video - ???

Just on a whim, I used MKVmergeGUI (from mkvtoolnix) and merged the two files into a Matroska container. I then double clicked on the resulting mkv file and it opened in media player classic an began playing (both audio and video). WMP11 didn't have a clue about matroska, but that's understandable.

Strangely, I was able to drop the mkv file into MS Expression Encoder and it opened both audio and video! What gives? I was also able to drop the mkv file into GraphEdit and it created a graph for both streams. The video is being decoded by the WMVideo Decoder DMO - the audio by ffdshow Audio Decoder.

I guess I just don't understand enough yet. Why would Expression Encoder and GraphEdit be able to open mkv containers, but not the raw video stream?
jcalcote is offline   Reply With Quote