Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 22nd August 2011, 17:37   #1121  |  Link
yesgrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher View Post
Clocks aren't the major Power Consumption factor Voltages are
Is there any tool that allows changing the voltages?
yesgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 00:05   #1122  |  Link
ryrynz

You could edit the BIOS with Nibitor to do that.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 00:43   #1123  |  Link
BatKnight

This is getting offtopic.
Please go mess with your graphic cards on a newer thread.

Bat
LAV Filters
BatKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 07:49   #1124  |  Link
roozhou

Hi nevcairiel,
About timestamps mess of ASP, why don't you try using timestamps from upstream(demuxers)? You can store incoming PTS in a fifo and always assign decoded frames with smallest PTS. Using average duration to calculate PTS is not a good idea even for cfr content because some files may have fake fps stored in the container or bitstream.
roozhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 08:01   #1125  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Its impossible to match the frames to the input timestamps, because the decoder does not let me know if it dropped a frame to avoid artifacts (after seeks, when a reference frame is missing), so it would end up in a desync.
People should just use a software codec for MPEG4-ASP.

Also, if files contain fake header infos, i consider those broken files, and will not spend time trying to fix them.

I'm open to suggestions, but a simple FIFO doesn't work, because of the problem mentioned above.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 25th August 2011 at 08:13.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 08:28   #1126  |  Link
roozhou

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Its impossible to match the frames to the input timestamps, because the decoder does not let me know if it dropped a frame to avoid artifacts (after seeks, when a reference frame is missing), so it would end up in a desync.
People should just use a software codec for MPEG4-ASP.

Also, if files contain fake header infos, i consider those broken files, and will not spend time trying to fix them.

I'm open to suggestions, but a simple FIFO doesn't work, because of the problem mentioned above.
Will it drop frames in the middle of playback, or only after seeks? If it's latter, we can assume the first frame decoded after seek has correct pts and drop timestamps before this point.
Old 25th August 2011, 08:39   #1127  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

On a healthy file it should not drop anything during playback. It just drops frames when its obvious that the frame would be corrupted - trying to decode a P/B frame without having the reference frames.

Assuming the first frame it outputs was a I frame, and B frames are present, it would still re-order the frames internally, and PTS might not equal DTS.
B frames are quite annoying.

I could do something like scanning the MPEG4 Headers myself and just drop any frames after a seek until i see a I frame, or something like that.
Wonder if that would work for VC-1 as well....

Last edited by nevcairiel; 25th August 2011 at 09:01.
Old 25th August 2011, 09:05   #1128  |  Link
roozhou

Did you try AVC-in-AVI or AVC-in-MKV using VFW mode(avi_mui_gui always produces such files). I am afraid they will suffer from similar problems.
Old 25th August 2011, 09:11   #1129  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I don't particularly care for non-spec compliant MKV files. If you create such a file, its your own fault. There is only one proper way to mux H264 in MKV, and doing it another way will not only break this decoder, it'll probably output wrong timestamps with pretty much every decoder.

For H264 in AVI, at least there is only one way to do it, even if its ugly, and you can switch the processing mode on the file extension. But its not supported by LAV CUVID, and i have no plans to change that anytime soon.
Old 25th August 2011, 09:34   #1130  |  Link
roozhou

Quote:
I don't particularly care for non-spec compliant MKV files. If you create such a file, its your own fault. There is only one proper way to mux H264 in MKV, and doing it another way will not only break this decoder, it'll probably output wrong timestamps with pretty much every decoder.
All video codecs can be stored in MKV using VFW mode. ASP and H264 are similar, both have native mode and VFW mode. mkvmerge uses VFW mode for ASP by default, until you add the hidden option "--engage native_mpeg4".
Old 25th August 2011, 09:48   #1131  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

"Can" doesn't mean you should. I'm just saying that alot of decoders will probably choke when you feed it such a file, and therefor is not recommended, and no-one should expect it to work properly. But this is really beside the point of the original discussion.
Old 1st September 2011, 03:27   #1132  |  Link
robpdotcom

I'd like some advice if someone doesn't mind:

I'm thinking of upgrading my GPU, partly because of LAV CUVID and the ability to use HW deinterlacing with madVR. It seems that the GTS450 is a favorite. Aside from the HW deinterlacing/decoding, should I expect any other performance increase over my ATI 5750?
AMD 6870
robpdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 05:26   #1133  |  Link
Mangix
Audiophile

yes. it has faster tesselation units and higher clocks.
Mangix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 06:17   #1134  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

The GTS450 might have higher 3D performance then the 5750, however you won't notice anything of that unless you actually play games or use other 3D applications.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 1st September 2011 at 06:53.
Old 1st September 2011, 12:51   #1135  |  Link
Redemption80

Good thing i read through most of these pages over the last few days, was about to get a GT520, but hearing about the poor de-interlacing performance made me rethink that.

nevcairiel, have to say thanks for this and the splitter/audio decoders, video quality has never been better or smoother.
Also made me switch from using SPDIF for audio, and back to analog so i could use TMT's dtsdecoder
All working flawlessly in MPC-HC with MadVR which i have just started testing, and also flawless in MediaPortal which gets used more often due to it being more girlfriend friendly

One thing though to you, or Madshi, if the majority of my files are full BluRay/HDDVD rips with some BBCHD H264 1080i/50 streams as well, is it worse losing the user friendliness and pretty GUI of MediaPortal and using MPC-HC and MadVR instead?
Redemption80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 12:59   #1136  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Only you can really judge if its worth it for you.

You can get decent results if you use ffdshows high-quality RGB conversion instead of letting your renderer deal with it, and the quality difference to madVR won't be that obvious anymore.
So if you really want to use the GUI, for a minimal quality loss i would setup something like LAV CUVID for decoding and deinterlacing, then ffdshow as a post-processor with HQ RGB conversion.

Its too bad that there are so few players with a nice 10ft GUI that support madVR.
Old 1st September 2011, 13:13   #1137  |  Link
Redemption80

Yeah, does seem like a dumb question when it’s my eyes, just that I wasn’t really seeing a huge difference in most of the stuff I was testing, but I do need to mess with MadVR more as I while I have had it installed for a while not, only recently started to use it.

Might try that out later on with ffdshow, thanks for the suggestion, with EVR on MediaPortal I’ve got lots of breathing space performance wise anyway on both GPU and CPU.

Yeah it is too bad, but it seems one side of the HTPC scene is going for all out quality, and the other side is prioritising ease of use and convenience.
Redemption80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011, 02:10   #1138  |  Link
robpdotcom

Quote:
The GTS450 might have higher 3D performance then the 5750, however you won't notice anything of that unless you actually play games or use other 3D applications.
It won't be used for games, but how about upscaling via madvr?

Currently, I get tons of dropped frames when I upscale 720p60 to 1080p60, unless I use exclusive mode. And even in exclusive mode, I can forget about subtitles. Would the 450 perform better in that situation?
AMD 6870
robpdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011, 07:03   #1139  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I would've thought the 5750 would be fast enough for that as well.
You can easily test if the GPU is the bottleneck by just lowering the scaling algorithms, and see if the problem goes away.

That said, my 450 can downscale 1080p60 when in window mode without frame drops. I don't have a way to test upscaling, really.

With ATI/AMD, it might also be a driver thing, i remember reading some thread about 60fps issues...

Last edited by nevcairiel; 2nd September 2011 at 07:06.
Old 2nd September 2011, 13:52   #1140  |  Link
jmartinr

Quote:
Originally Posted by roozhou View Post
All video codecs can be stored in MKV using VFW mode. ASP and H264 are similar, both have native mode and VFW mode. mkvmerge uses VFW mode for ASP by default, until you add the hidden option "--engage native_mpeg4".
Would you happen to know a way to remux h246 (VFW) in AVI to it's native mode in MKV or MP4?