Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th January 2007, 21:42   #781  |  Link
Lord_KiRon

Just an idea (I haven't bothered to read the AACS specs ) :

If we have a Tilte and Volume Keys and a disk can't we perform reverse process and calculate player key ?

In this case I believe generic decryption utility can be created that can decrypt any disk that does not blacklist that player key ...

Or am I missed something ?
Lord_KiRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 21:49   #782  |  Link
Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnezami
Right now WinDVD can decrypt all media/volume keys for all HD DVDs so far. For each HD DVD we can look into the memory dump what the decrypted volume key is. But if new HD DVDs come out with updated MKBs then this version of WinDVD can't decrypt anything and we won't be able to use its memory dump. We'll have to hack the new version of WinDVD (or PowerDVD).
You may be able to inject aka cut/paste PowerDVD's key into WinDVD to convert them again. Food for thought.
Bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 22:06   #783  |  Link
CiTay

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnezami View Post
We'll have to hack the new version of WinDVD (or PowerDVD).
First, Cyberlink and/or InterVideo have to admit that they have a security hole (Cyberlink denied it already). When they report that to AACS LA, they can do a player revocation.

But so far it remains more or less a theoretical threat for the movie industry. Who knows, if enough people hear that they can handle their HD-DVD movies more freely, it might boost popularity of HD-DVDs and make it the media of choice. The protection of DVDs is circumvented and they still sell, what's the deal with that?

And they can't carry player revocation and other restrictions too far anyway. I doubt that customers would constantly want to update their player when yet another version is compromised and all they see is an error message when they try to play that new movie. They might start to think that the paying customer is the idiot here and turn to other means of getting that movie...

Last edited by CiTay; 14th January 2007 at 22:09.
CiTay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 22:23   #784  |  Link
Syris2k4

Imho - I dont think they will bother.

Backing up HD-DVD's requires disk space, time and some know-how that 99% of consumers dont really have. So bothering to discomfort that many people would be kinda silly, specially considering how many of these players they licence. Think almost every mid range+ gfx card/Mobo.

And atm - this is making the format look muuuch better than BR to people that care about DRM etc.

As long as copies dont flood the market within the next 2/3 months - I dont see it changing, they know we will adapt anyway.
Syris2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 00:08   #785  |  Link
appleguru

Here's to hoping this will let me play the movie in OS X with DVD Player... Decrypting Batman Begins atm to find out; I'll report back
appleguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 00:13   #786  |  Link
markrb
Old fart

I am so glad there are smart people on this board.
I have tried time and time again and I cannot locate the keys in memory using winhex. I have tried searching for all the text strings listed in this thread and even looked for known keys on King Kong with no luck.

Is the key findable with a search in memory if you know the key or does it have to be translated somehow?

I can find the hash no problem so I know I have the same version that is listed in the volume key thread.

I am planning on buying some movies not listed so I might contribute, but if I can't find a known key how will I know what to look for in an unknown disc?

I guess I am just discouraged. Any help anyone can give I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 15th January 2007, 00:15   #787  |  Link
Shinigami-Sama
Solaris: burnt by the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrb View Post
I am so glad there are smart people on this board.
I have tried time and time again and I cannot locate the keys in memory using winhex. I have tried searching for all the text strings listed in this thread and even looked for known keys on King Kong with no luck.

Is the key findable with a search in memory if you know the key or does it have to be translated somehow?

I can find the hash no problem so I know I have the same version that is listed in the volume key thread.

I am planning on buying some movies not listed so I might contribute, but if I can't find a known key how will I know what to look for in an unknown disc?

I guess I am just discouraged. Any help anyone can give I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mark
the key appears and disappears so you might have to try looking for it a few times before you find it - this is because the player clears the key from memory then decrypts it again when its needed
Shinigami-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 00:42   #788  |  Link
rubycon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutach View Post
Such a blatant post about how you copy material you do not own is clearly against the spirit and intention of rule 6. I have warned users about this previously in this very sensitive thread.

Strike issued.

As well, I fail to see what a person's hair has to do with it. Please be more polite on this forum.

Regards
As far as in my conutry is related, Copying for private use from a "legally acquired original" is legitimate fair use. A rented copy is a legally accquired copy, so it is legal to make a copy of it for private use-(Is the same action as time shifting when recording from a TV).

So what's all this warnings about something that is legal in many countries?

R.
rubycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 01:45   #789  |  Link
arfster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubycon View Post
It's their forum - they can ban or warn you for whatever they like.

Given how aggressive the legal people can be wrt copyright, you can hardly blame them.
arfster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 01:55   #790  |  Link
Shinigami-Sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubycon View Post
As far as in my conutry is related, Copying for private use from a "legally acquired original" is legitimate fair use. A rented copy is a legally accquired copy, so it is legal to make a copy of it for private use-(Is the same action as time shifting when recording from a TV).

R.
This forum is currently hosted in the USA; therefore it must abide by the rules and regulations of the USA. So in order to operate the users of this forum must also abide by these rules or the forum may be subject to legal battles that would force Doom9 to close down. Please try to be more aware of the rules in the future or else you may not be here long.
Old 15th January 2007, 03:05   #791  |  Link
toytown

Quote:
This forum is currently hosted in the USA
Its hosted in france, i believe.
toytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 03:13   #792  |  Link
bass4040

Once an hd-dvd movie is on the hard drive and the correct key is used, do you still need an hdcp video card for play back?
bass4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 03:16   #793  |  Link
Shinigami-Sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by toytown View Post
Its hosted in france, i believe.
I remember doom9 saying ateme - I thought that was in the USA
hmm
just doing a lookup the IP resolves to an ampserdam company so I'm not sure anymore.

anyways this is kinda getting offtopic...
Old 15th January 2007, 03:19   #794  |  Link
Shinigami-Sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass4040 View Post
Once an hd-dvd movie is on the hard drive and the correct key is used, do you still need an hdcp video card for play back?
not if you remux the stream into a container/format that doesn't use that restriction
Old 15th January 2007, 03:26   #795  |  Link
Bystander

You would have to locate the Content Restriction Token/Flag and disable it or force it to always be "off".

This can be done by patching the player or removing it from the decoded .evo file itself.
Old 15th January 2007, 03:27   #796  |  Link
Gradius
RPC-1 to people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syris2k4 View Post
Imho - I dont think they will bother.

Backing up HD-DVD's requires disk space, time and some know-how that 99% of consumers dont really have.
So true.

Living in Mars is nice!
Gradius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 03:42   #797  |  Link
Bystander

Just a verification note and brief comment (if I may have a pass on strikes for the support to the project)

1) Van Helsing works just fine with the volume key I posted earlier.

2) Now that this project is well on it's way I can finally go buy HD DVD's and start storing them on my 10TB media server and keeping the originals safely stored in their cases. I've been waiting for this since HD was released. Looks like Blu Ray will be left in the cold *** wondering what happend when HD DVD takes off like a sky rocket now. Also the PR0n disks won't get covered in goo now that they announced HD DVD instead of Blu Ray.

Last edited by Guest; 15th January 2007 at 04:40. Reason: rule 4
Old 15th January 2007, 04:38   #798  |  Link
OverlordQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by He-Man View Post
Just wondering, isn't the movie title stored somewhere at the HD-DVD disc (maybe the disc title itself, a folder name or in some unencrypted text file) so you can automatically extract the movie title along with the hash value and date?

Not a clue, I dont have a HDDVD Drive, if somebody could tell me where that info is stored, I'd be greatly appreciated so I could add it.

Last edited by OverlordQ; 15th January 2007 at 07:24.
OverlordQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 04:41   #799  |  Link
woah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami-Sama View Post
not if you remux the stream into a container/format that doesn't use that restriction
well the movies i have i couldnt playback on my main rig as my x1800xt vcard wasnt hdcp. but after the dump to the HD it plays just fine on the x1800xt

so i would say that yes you can play them once on your drive.
woah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 04:41   #800  |  Link
Janvitos

Alot of movies are not ripping properly at the moment.
It seems like all the movies with some sort of enhanced experience content do not assemble properly after decryption.
I have ripped and tried all of my HD-DVD movies and around 1/3 of them don't play well at all (very choppy playback, image distortion).

This is a list of my movies that DON'T work properly once ripped:

- V for Vendetta
- Batman Begins
- King Kong
- Mission Impossible 3
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
- Enter the Dragon

There might be many more so i guess it's time to start working on a solution for this.
Obviously, we will need a total re-write of the BackupHDDVD program and most importantly, an experienced coder who can work this out.

Last edited by Janvitos; 15th January 2007 at 04:44.
Janvitos is offline   Reply With Quote