Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Linux, Mac OS X, & Co

Old 18th September 2009, 20:22   #1  |  Link
jphastings

MKV to MP4 on Mac OS X - Snow Leopard

Hi everyone, there are a number of guides out there for a variety of MKV -> MP4 conversion processes, but none of them seem to work any more.

I'd love to be able to create a workflow to convert h264 + DTS/AC3 mkv to h264 (passthru) + AAC5.1 mp4. Of course you can use mp4box to put AC3s directly into the mp4, but iTunes 9 won't play the sound (even with perian, and a custom-compiled x86_64 a52 plugin). There's also the added problem that you can't have more than one audio track in mp4 (quicktime flavour) unless they're all AAC.

So, if there's a shiny GUI tool for this conversion (no, MKVTools doesn't cope with DTS or transcode to AAC5.1) then please let me know, if not then a suitable workflow for AC3/DTS to AAC5.1?

I've been through the forums and this guide: http://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-97947.html always gives static-like output and any other guides I've found appear to be out of date.

If anything I learn here leads to a working solution I'll be sure to post it for anyone else to use - I haven't been able to find this info anywhere else!

Thanks in advance!
jphastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 20:52   #2  |  Link

Where are you getting these MKVs and what are they?
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote