Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 8th November 2012, 19:54   #12841  |  Link
mark0077

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Here is another DVD build:

http://files.1f0.de/lavf/LAVFilters-...4-g04051b3.zip

I fixed QuickSync again, and it should now work similar to Software/DXVA or CUVID.
Additionally, i also found a potential reason for the small glitch on a looping menu, so maybe it helps.
And last but not least, i tried to slightly reduce the decode latency of CUVID and DXVA2-CB when decoding DVDs, it may help with jerky playback using those modes. But i couldn't reproduce such problems.
Thanks Nev. Those changes sort of helped get CUVID + stop jerking when using avisynth on my system anyways, but it still jerks from time to time. Software mpeg2 mode works that little bit better still with avisynth so I'll personally stick with that.

Regarding looping menus, it seems better definitely, I still often see the madVR queues give a blip when the menu begins a loop. Sometimes this results in a frame drop of 2 - 8 frames usually. Not the end of the world. I see the git commit that helped this say "Avoid a full-blown decoder reset on Flush when playing a DVD". I'm just wondering is there anything else like this thats happening other than the decoder reset, that can cause the blip / madVR queue drop.
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 20:30   #12842  |  Link
petran79

see for yourselves regarding the output problem

All filters enabled

I disable RGB

I disable 8-bit

I disable 16-bit

and finally, image appears correctly!

petran79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2012, 21:03   #12843  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

@petran79

Judging by your screenshots, you probably have both xy-VSFilter (DirectVobSub) as well as PotPlayer's Internal Subtitle Renderer enabled at the same time. You should uncheck "Show Subtitles" in Pot Player's settings to disable the ISR if you are using xy-VSFilter. xy-VSFilter doesn't support 10-bit 4:4:4, so LAV Video will output dithered RGB32 (or AYUV in the next xy-VSFilter stable release) by default on such videos.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 8th November 2012 at 21:05.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 02:54   #12844  |  Link
zqever

How can I see the bitrate when I use LAV with MPC-HC?
zqever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 08:04   #12845  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zqever View Post
How can I see the bitrate when I use LAV with MPC-HC?
You cannot, its not supported.
Old 9th November 2012, 12:20   #12846  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
I'm just wondering is there anything else like this thats happening other than the decoder reset, that can cause the blip / madVR queue drop.
Well the decoder is flushed when the DVD Navigator tells us to flush. This means that a frame or two might be dropped inside the decoder which had not been delivered yet. I can't avoid this flush, because if its not done on eg. a seek, it will result in image corruption. And i don't know why the flush is triggered .. a seek, a looping menu..

I can briefly look over the events at the loop again, but not sure i can improve it much.
Old 9th November 2012, 12:25   #12847  |  Link
Skibicki

Quote:
Your sample seems to still be encrypted, please decrypt it before uploading.
Please always test that your sample works and shows the problem before uploading it, it helps to cut down on my time trying to figure things out.
I apologize for the file trouble. What do i need to check encryption on menu samples?

testing
MPC-HC
- open folder of menu files > paramount videos plays and stops > navigate menu is greyed out
- play again>pick 'title menu' from navigate menu>title is displayed
-click 'scene selection' > title screen image is frozen>move mouse around> cursor changes to hand in some spots>click and scenes will play

Last edited by Skibicki; 9th November 2012 at 12:33. Reason: attaching image
Skibicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 12:27   #12848  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

If you copied those menu files to some other place, off the disc, they should stop working, because its still encrypted. At least they don't work for me.
I tried manually decryption the VOB files, it worked for the paramount trailer, but not for the smaller files, so the menu still wouldn't work properly
Old 9th November 2012, 12:30   #12849  |  Link
Skibicki

Quote:
If you copied those menu files to some other place, off the disc, they should stop working, because its still encrypted. At least they don't work for me.
I have a new set copied with DVDFab Decrypter, now I need to check for encryption.

edit: The menu files all work except scene selection.

Last edited by Skibicki; 9th November 2012 at 12:35.
Old 9th November 2012, 12:58   #12850  |  Link
Skibicki

Quote:
I tried manually decryption the VOB files, it worked for the paramount trailer, but not for the smaller files, so the menu still wouldn't work properly
...also tested in VLC. Navigation worked. Remember you need to navigate to the title menu (alt+t) before the paramount trailer ends or it will just stop.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xal1wd95k5va4dr

Last edited by Skibicki; 9th November 2012 at 13:01.
Old 9th November 2012, 16:11   #12851  |  Link
petran79

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
@petran79

Judging by your screenshots, you probably have both xy-VSFilter (DirectVobSub) as well as PotPlayer's Internal Subtitle Renderer enabled at the same time. You should uncheck "Show Subtitles" in Pot Player's settings to disable the ISR if you are using xy-VSFilter. xy-VSFilter doesn't support 10-bit 4:4:4, so LAV Video will output dithered RGB32 (or AYUV in the next xy-VSFilter stable release) by default on such videos.
Only the opposite seems to work, namely disabling xy-vobsub filter.
thanks! at least I know the reason now.
petran79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 16:26   #12852  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibicki View Post
...also tested in VLC. Navigation worked. Remember you need to navigate to the title menu (alt+t) before the paramount trailer ends or it will just stop.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xal1wd95k5va4dr
Thanks for the sample, it works fine now.
Should be fixed in the next version. Was more annoying of a bug then i expected...
Old 9th November 2012, 18:19   #12853  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Hmm, I wanted to ask something once..
Can't recall it yet, will come back on it later.
Got it now.

Do frames still have to be copied back with CUVID & madVR instead of DXVA2 CB?
Because with the latter one RAM consumption is significantly higher, also CPU usage is a little.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 18:33   #12854  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Both CUVID and DXVA-CB need copying to the system memory from the GPU. CB might use a bit more memory because different handling of the processing flow.
Old 9th November 2012, 19:33   #12855  |  Link
aufkrawall

Thanks.

Guess I'll stick to CUVID now with a 670 since madVR Jinc makes it enter P0 state anway.
Old 9th November 2012, 19:49   #12856  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Guess I'll stick to CUVID now with a 670 since madVR Jinc makes it enter P0 state anway.
I don't think that should be happening. I just recently switched from CUVID to DXVA2 copy-back for some additional power savings now that CPU power saving is also working well in Windows 8. (in Windows 7, my system had a tendency to only switch between minimum and maximum clockspeeds, and not always clock up when required, so I just disabled all power saving options)

Using Jinc 3 with the anti-ringing filter enabled for both Chroma and Luma upscaling, my 570 stays in P8 with DXVA2 copy-back, whether I'm upscaling 360p, 480i, 576i, 720p, or 1080i content. Even upscaling 1080i content above 1080p resolution stays in P8. (though I would normally display 1080i/p at 100%)

Edit: to be clear, it starts in P0 but drops to P8 after about 10 seconds of playback. (I guess after it fills the queues?) Happens when switching to/from fullscreen exclusive mode too.

Last edited by 6233638; 9th November 2012 at 19:58.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2012, 22:53   #12857  |  Link
aufkrawall

I tested with Jinc4 AR for chroma upscaling and Lanczos8 AR for luma downscaling with 1080p30 downscaled to 720p.
GPU usage is very high, around 45% (thanks to Kepler boost still not full clock).
I can't play 4k video with that config, GPU is at 99%.

With Jinc3 and Lanczos3 everything's fine with 1080p30, stays in a low power state.
Old 9th November 2012, 23:41   #12858  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petran79 View Post
Only the opposite seems to work, namely disabling xy-vobsub filter.
thanks! at least I know the reason now.
Yes, if you wanted to have 10bit/16bit 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 output dithered to 8-bit by madVR instead of dithered by the video decoder, you would need to disable xy-VSFilter. Either way, dithering methods should be the only visual difference you'd potentially notice. The eventual plan is to support high bitdeph 4:2:2 & 4:4:4 colorspaces in xy-VSFilter, but other things have higher priority at the moment. Since you use madVR already, the new subtitle interface we've been working on will hopefully become a viable option in the near future, and allow videos of any colorspace to be used with xy-VSFilter.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 09:33   #12859  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

LAV Filters 0.53.1
Code:
LAV Video
- Fixed initial media type when YADIF is active
- Fixed an image corruption issue with DVD playback
- Improved handling of DVD menus on some discs
- Reduced decode latency with CUVID/DXVA2-CB on DVDs for smoother playback in some situations
- Added an option to toggle HW decoding for DVDs
Download: Installer (both x86/x64) -- Zips: 32-bit & 64-bit

Another pass of DVD improvements, i consider DVD playback pretty stable now.
Only known "issue" is a very small glitch that occurs when a menu animation loops, because 1-2 frames are being dropped. The way the DVD playback chain operates, i'm not sure it can be easily fixed.

Please let me know if you still encounter any DVD issues, in the menu or otherwise.
If you still have a problematic menu, you can extract only the menu from a DVD by simply zip'ing up all the IFO/BUP files, the VIDEO_TS.VOB, and all VTS_xx_0.VOBs (VTS files ending with 0 are for menus, 1 and above are content).

Have a good weekend.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 10th November 2012 at 09:44.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2012, 10:07   #12860  |  Link
Sebastiii

Thanks

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter