Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 4th February 2012, 17:27   #8801  |  Link
Andy o

You don't need a "top of the line" CPU to software-decode SD MPEG-2 at all!
Old 4th February 2012, 18:33   #8802  |  Link
dann23

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
My ignore list is growing...
perhaps you can add another one
dann23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 19:49   #8803  |  Link
mindbomb

on the subject of dvd playback, this is what I do, and it works for some reason:
lav video and lav splitter don't connect
use microsoft dtv-dvd video decoder and dvd navigator instead
add ffdshow audio processor (you can even disable mixer,add 32 float output for it, so it isn't actually doing anything)

voila, the open dvd function of mpc hc now works
for some reason, having it go through another audio filter prevents macrovision errors.

renethx at avsforums detailed all the possibilities for dvd playback, including this method
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=654

Last edited by mindbomb; 4th February 2012 at 19:52.
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 20:39   #8804  |  Link
kalston

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post
I think it would be really useful to have a small section on the first page that is kept updated with what LAV will handle and what is best handled by another method, to avoid repeated questions by those who aren't in a position to read 500 pages. I don't recall any mention of DVD playback not being supported.

DVD playback is the most important thing for me right now: I have a great Bluray player, but want the ability to get the best out of my DVD collection without top of the line CPU.

I tried using ffdshow as decoder, but playback freezes on the first frame.

There are so many players, splitters, decoders, renderers and tweaks that it is confusing finding something that works for DVD and maximises the quality and adjustments necessary to cope with varying quality.
This sounds like a bug because DVD decoding really does not need a fast CPU. Even when rescaling with madVR and whatever it should be pretty light.

Otherwise, how could I have watched smooth DVDs back in the days on my 600mhz laptop?
kalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 22:02   #8805  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbomb View Post
on the subject of dvd playback, this is what I do, and it works for some reason:
lav video and lav splitter don't connect
use microsoft dtv-dvd video decoder and dvd navigator instead
add ffdshow audio processor (you can even disable mixer,add 32 float output for it, so it isn't actually doing anything)

voila, the open dvd function of mpc hc now works
for some reason, having it go through another audio filter prevents macrovision errors.

renethx at avsforums detailed all the possibilities for dvd playback, including this method
A bit of topic, but it doesn't work here with madVR. I get the Copy-Protect Fail error. Also when using ffdshow as video decoder. With and without ffdshow audio processor in the graph.
Old 4th February 2012, 22:05   #8806  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
A bit of topic, but it doesn't work here with madVR. I get the Copy-Protect Fail error. Also when using ffdshow as video decoder. With and without ffdshow audio processor in the graph.
Some people can get it to work. Others can't. Kinda frustrating.
Old 5th February 2012, 00:16   #8807  |  Link
Reino

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
...That means using the batch file will in most cases no longer be enough to get it to play stuff properly (at least for the splitter)...
Could you be a bit more specific?
Old 5th February 2012, 00:33   #8808  |  Link
mindbomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
it's pretty on topic imo, how to deal with dvds when you are primarily using madvr and lav filters, which many are.

i think you have to decrypt the dvds first? idk
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 00:49   #8809  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRoNe View Post
Could you be a bit more specific?
I cannot be specific if the specifics haven't been specified yet
The main deal is that the .ax files will no longer mess with the registry in "unsafe" ways. This makes no difference at all for the decoders, but the splitter will need extra help to get going, which the installer will provide instead.
Old 5th February 2012, 01:03   #8810  |  Link
Pepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
My ignore list is growing...
Does the board need to know your private settings. ?

You posted that for no other reason than to be antagonistic and instigate more negative posts which is on the same steps as passive agressive bullying.
Pepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 01:16   #8811  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
it's pretty on topic imo, how to deal with dvds when you are primarily using madvr and lav filters, which many are.

i think you have to decrypt the dvds first? idk
It is very much possible that ripping to harddrive makes a difference in avoiding the Copy-Protect error. I tested with an actual DVD disc. Depending on the filterset I get either Macrovision error or Copy-Protect error.
Old 5th February 2012, 02:10   #8812  |  Link
suanm

the new DXVA2 "copy back" function works very perfectly on my PC,thank you ,nevcairiel
,i like very much DXVA2 "copy-back" decoding mode
suanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 02:51   #8813  |  Link
CruNcher

Just wait for Native

@Nev
Runtime wrong Detected 2:20 min (no seek possible)

http://www.mediafire.com/?7611h5nk120y9cm

VLC = 1:37 ??? (seeking ok)
Mpc-HC Splitter = ok
Mainconcept Splitter = ok
Av splitter = fail (0:01)
Lav Splitter = fail (0:01)
Microsoft Splitter = fail (0:01)

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 5th February 2012 at 04:46.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 04:50   #8814  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepp View Post
Does the board need to know your private settings. ?

You posted that for no other reason than to be antagonistic and instigate more negative posts which is on the same steps as passive aggressive bullying.
Pepp, I think you misunderstand. This could perhaps be related to your short period of time here on this or perhaps any forum, so I'd like to make a quick post about socializing here.

There is a degree of respect that needs to be held for developers who share their work with others for nothing other than appreciation and interest. This is important Pepp, it makes people feel valued when you treat them with respect, they in turn will reciprocate this back to you, everyone wins.

What Madshi said was neither antagonistic nor negative IMO.

In fact I never in my time on the forum seen him as being either of those two things! Even when directed with somewhat harsh criticisms in what I have considered to be in a rude manner, this always spoke volumes to me as a good judge of his character.

What was said merely serves as a warning to others and was just basic socializing, I actually found the post quite humorous

Remember, these projects are created for their enjoyment, thankfully we can share in it by discussing ideas and testing new features. Please place yourself in their shoes before commenting, thanks.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 05:21   #8815  |  Link
Pepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Pepp, I think you misunderstand. This could perhaps be related to your short period of time here on this or perhaps any forum, so I'd like to make a quick post about socializing here.

There is a degree of respect that needs to be held for developers who share their work with others for nothing other than appreciation and interest. This is important Pepp, it makes people feel valued when you treat them with respect, they in turn will reciprocate this back to you, everyone wins.

What Madshi said was neither antagonistic nor negative IMO.

In fact I never in my time on the forum seen him as being either of those two things! Even when directed with somewhat harsh criticisms in what I have considered to be in a rude manner, this always spoke volumes to me as a good judge of his character.

What was said merely serves as a warning to others and was just basic socializing, I actually found the post quite humorous

Remember, these projects are created for their enjoyment, thankfully we can share in it by discussing ideas and testing new features. Please place yourself in their shoes before commenting, thanks.
To be blunt your post amounts to nothing more than brown nosing and and attempt to make obnoxious behaviour acceptable.Just because someone codes something it doesn't give them antisocial privileges over others infact they should be humble and gracious that users are intrested.

The fact that you find the instigation of negative posts towards users humorous is in fact a sad reflection on your own social defects.

Last edited by Pepp; 5th February 2012 at 05:23.
Pepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 05:49   #8816  |  Link
IanD

Quote:
Thanks for that.

I used to be able to play DVDs with MPC, but it didn't support post-processing; I could play DVDs with ffdshow, but it didn't properly support menus; with the appreciated release of LAV, I was hoping to get better playback for all codecs including DVD with an opportunity to also do processing with GPU and CPU.

One must understand that DVD playback is far more than decoding: to get the best results when upscaling to an HDTV, one must de-interlace well and post-process the video for noise and other artifacts.

There is a thread on AVSforum I believe about getting the best results for DVD upscaling, using ffdshow, but it requires a top of the line CPU due to the supersampling and avisynth processing routines included. Eventually I would like to achieve similar quality effects, but using both GPU and CPU to reduce the hardware requirements.

My Oppo 93 met all my requirements for DVD and Bluray, because it uses a Qdeo VP, but now that file playback is being eroded by the studios, I need a replacement and currently an HTPC is the likeliest candidate as none of the media players do Video Processing.

Last edited by IanD; 5th February 2012 at 05:51.
IanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 08:47   #8817  |  Link
CruNcher

@Nev

Snow playback issue

http://www.mediafire.com/?c4j4l6xoooae6c2

ffplay = ok
lav splitter + lav video = fails connection

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 09:30   #8818  |  Link
Andy o

Bleh, some moderator should take a look at the IPs of those "Jan 2012" concern trolls who suspiciously appeared after the first guy went MIA knowing that others have put that name under their ignore lists.
Old 5th February 2012, 09:57   #8819  |  Link
roytam1
Firefox User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher View Post
@Nev

Snow playback issue

ffplay = ok
Did you unregister the filters and reregister them again?
roytam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012, 10:01   #8820  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruNcher View Post
@Nev

Snow playback issue

ffplay = ok
Works just fine.