Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 13th February 2003, 08:13   #1  |  Link
FranchiseJuan

DVD2SVCD cutting short Band Of Brothers Episodes.

I am backing up my Band Of Brothers DVDs, and I would like to make some SVCDs of it. I have run into a strange problem. No matter which method I try, the end SVCD is much shorter then the original. I have even encoded Divx versions just to check and it encoded fine with the right lenghth.

I have tried:
Ripping with DVD Decrypter
Ripping with V srip
Ripping with DVD2SVCD internal rutines
Encoding to Divx and then encoding AVI2SVCD
Encoding with CCE2.5 or TMPG
Encoding with safe mode
Encoding with Bicubic, Simple or bilinier resize.

I am completely out of ideas.

Any help would be apreciated.
Old 13th February 2003, 19:53   #2  |  Link
VidHack

Band of Brothers is a Multi-PGC DVD, so there are 2 episodes per disk. In DVD2SVCD you chose 1 (PGC) episode to encode so unless you join both episodes VOBS and create a new IFO to select, or remove the .IFO and load in the correct vobs manually, you will end up short. By "Short" I assume you mean, only 1 episode is getting encoded? I did B.O.B. onto DVDr and helped a friend to do it onto SVCD so its do-able, but he wanted 1 episode per disk, and used Frame selection to cut out the interviews before the episode begins. The question then is 'how do you want it?'

VidHack
Old 14th February 2003, 01:12   #3  |  Link
FranchiseJuan

Thanks for the reply but I guess I was not clear on what I was getting. I am selecting one Episode to encode and ripping internally so as to only get the one episode per disk. However when I try to encode an episode, that is say one hour, I get a file and a bin image that is only 40 minutes long, with sections missing from the encoded episode.

Anyone ever had that before?
Old 14th February 2003, 04:56   #4  |  Link
markrb
Old fart

When you play the ripped VOB's with PowerDVD or WinDVD is it all there?

Mark
Old 14th February 2003, 06:16   #5  |  Link
FranchiseJuan

No that is my point. When I play it with power DVD, there is only 30 to 40 minutes of the episode there. There are sections of the episode missing. It is in different spots in different episodes. Is there some kind of new copy protection scheme that precents the DVDs being ripped? They play ok in my DVD player, and if Encoded into Divx it is fine as well!

When encoding with TMPG, on the second pass there it shows that it goes through all the episode (to the end eg: 65 minutes), but the resulting MPEG 2 file is only shown to have 30 minutes of video in Power DVD.

I have encoded over 200 tv episodes from various sources to SVCD and this is the first time that I have had this kind of problem.
Old 14th February 2003, 08:53   #6  |  Link
hoozdapimp
lost in space

are you sure part of it is missing? I know PowerDVD doesn't always display the right time, especially when you skip around in the video.
hoozdapimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2003, 18:14   #7  |  Link
FranchiseJuan

after watching through a few of the encoded svcds on my DVD player, I have found that you are right Hoozdapimp. Man all the time wasted, and it was just Power DVD.

Stupid PowerDVD.....

Thanks for all your help.
Old 8th March 2003, 02:19   #8  |  Link
maitai

In my quest to backup Disk 1 from BOB, I was only able to create 1 episode on a SVCD using DVD2SVCD. Now I am using DVD Decrypter to rip the disk, and end up with two directories - VIDEO_TS and VIDEO_TS2. From here I am not sure how to load the files from VIDEO_TS2 into DVD2SVCD to end up with the cue/bin files and consequently burn them. Am I even on the right track? - Thanks.
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2003, 03:54   #9  |  Link
markrb
Old fart

Don't tack onto a thread that is not the same problem as yours.

Also don't use DVD Decrypter with DVD2SVCD we do not support it here and it can cause many problems.

Use the dropdown and select the right time length on the conversion tab using Internal routines to rip.

Mark