Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 20th January 2003, 06:46   #1  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

Black Hawk Down (2-DVD Movie Split) Cheat Sheet

Black Hawk Down (2-DVD Movie Split)Cheat Sheet
Courtesy of 2CL

NOTE: Disabling Special Features Menu in Disk 1 has been added. Other changes in red.

FINAL PRODUCT DESCRIPTON:
Disk 1:
Chapters 1 – 16 only
Original menu kept
All audio and subtitles kept
No Special Features

Disk 2:
Chapters 17 – 28 only
Original menu kept
Special Features

Tools I used:
For ripping movie to harddrive: Smartripper 2.41
For editing the DVD navigations: IfoEdit 0.95
For burning the final product: ImgTool 0.95 with reallocation of files unchecked.

________________________________________________________________________________
1. Create a folder named “BHD” and three subfolders named “Files”,“Disk 1”, and “Disk 2”
________________________________________________________________________________
2. Rip ALL files to “BHD”folder
3. Region Free every IFO and save commands if region code commands were deleted.
4. Get VTS Sectors.
5. Backup all IFOs and BUPs to “Files” subfolder
6. In VIDEO_TS.IFO/VMG Overview/Menu Language Unit:, delete playbacks on all your VOB-Ids (1 to 4).

Language Menu Unit 1: [English]
Menu 1: [entry only] (Programs: 2) (Cells: 2) (uses VOB-IDs: 1) Columbia Tristar logo
Menu 2: [entry only] (Programs: 2) (Cells: 2) (uses VOB-IDs: 2) PG-13 Declaration
Menu 3: [entry only] (Programs: 2) (Cells: 2) (uses VOB-IDs: 3) FBI Warnings
Menu 4: [entry only] (Programs: 2) (Cells: 2) (uses VOB-IDs: 4) FBI Warnings

Translation: Columbia Tristar Intro Logo, PG-13 clip, and FBI warnings are bypassed.
7. Save VIDEO_TS.IFO
8. Get VTS Sectors
SPLITTING DVD

9. Select VTS_01_0.IFO and press Vob Extras button.
10. These need to be checked.
  • [X] Correct Vob-Unit (Navigation Pack) pointers in VOB-files
    [X] Correct original IFO files
    [X] Split to 2 DVD-Rs

[X] Remove P-Uops
    [X] Remove Macrovision
    [X] Remove Ilvu/Angle point.
    [X] Adjust Vob-Unit pointers.
    [X] Adjust Audio/Subp point.

[X] AutoCopy Menu-files to destination
11. Select Destination directory to your “Disk 1” sub-folder and 2nd Dest. Directory to “Disk 2”
12. Press Ok.
13. Cell 14 (part of Ch 14) is selected by IFOedit as a middle point to strip. Select Cell 19 (Ch 17) as your new split point. Now, stop and read.

Let me tell the logic to picking this split point. When I played my scene selection menu, this is how the chapters are grouped on each page.

Page 1 > 1, 2, 3, 4
Page 2 > 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 3 > 9, 10, 11,12
Page 4 > 13, 14, 15, 16
Page 5 > 17, 18, 19, 20
Page 6 > 21, 22, 23, 24
Page 7 > 25, 26, 27, 28

Each chapter menu is a cell. We can disable cells. Look for the nearest page menu start chapter point from your original point. What I mean in start chapter is chapters 1, 5 ,9 ,13, 17, 21, and 25. When you access any of these pages, these are the “start” chapters of each page. In this case, since Ch 14 was picked by IFOedit, our nearest “start” chapter point was either chapter 13 or 17. The logical choice would be to pick Ch. 13. But proposed to pick Ch 17. Why? Because, we will put our special features VOBs on Disk 2 only and we want to have some space to put them there. This is pretty much a judgement call. With more experience, you will learn to pick the correct split point.

So, if our Disk 1 will contain chapters 1 to 16, we can disable the scene selection pages 5 to 7 at a later step. The same concept goes for Disk 2 with chapters 17 to 28. We will disable pages 1 to 4 in Disk 2 ‘s scene selection menu.
14. Make sure the “Correct IFO tables” is checked and press split it.
15. With Chapter 17 highlighted as new split point, press “Split it” button and let IFOedit do it’s magic. It’s going to take awhile.
16. When done, copy VIDEO_TS.VOB and VTS_01_0.VOB to Disk 1 and Disk 2 sub-folders.

DISK ONE: Chapters 1 – 16

17. Select VTS_01_0.IFO in your Disk 1 sub-folder.
18. Get VTS Sectors
19. Backup all IFOs to “Files” subfolder, replacing previous files.
20. In VTS_01_0.IFO/VTSM_PGCI_UT/PGC-Menu_8/PGC Program Map, delete the following programs one by one Start with Program 10 and work you way up. To do that, right-click and choose “Delete Program”.

PGC Program Map:
[00000151] Program_6: Entry cell number 6 [06] page 5
[00000152] Program_7: Entry cell number 7 [07] page 6
[00000153] Program_8: Entry cell number 8 [08] page 7
[00000154] Program_9: Entry cell number 9 [09]
[00000155] Program_10: Entry cell number 10 [0a]

Translation: Chapter selections for 19 – 28 are disabled.
21. In VTS_01_0.IFO/VTSM_PGCI_UT/PGC-Menu_9/PGC Command Table

1.Pre Command Set GPreg<9> mov GPreg<14> [61 00 00 09 00 0e 00 00 ]
1.Pre Command (JumpSS VMGM) Jump to VMG PGC: 5 [30 06 00 05 00 c0 00 00 ]

Translation: Special Features Menu is disabled

22. Save VTS_01_0.IFO
23. Get VTS Sectors
24. Preview and test.
25. That’s for Disk 1. Burning procedures located after Disk 2 procedures.

DISK TWO: Chapters 17 – 28

26. Copy VTS_02_*, VTS_03_*, VTS_04_* files to “Disk 2” folder.
27. Select VTS_01_0.IFO in your Disk 2 sub-folder.
28. Get VTS Sectors
29. Backup all IFOs to “Files” subfolder, replacing previous files.
30. In VTS_01_0.IFO/VTSM_PGCI_UT/PGC-Menu_8/PGC Program Map, delete the following programs one by one. Start with Program 5 and work you way up.. To do that, right-click and choose “Delete Program”.

PGC Program Map:
[0000014c] Program_1: Entry cell number 1 [01]
[0000014d] Program_2: Entry cell number 2 [02] page 1
[0000014e] Program_3: Entry cell number 3 [03] page 2
[0000014f] Program_4: Entry cell number 4 [04] page 3
[00000150] Program_5: Entry cell number 5 [05] page 4

OLD > 1.Pre Command (SetHL_BTNN) Set Button Nr: (set-val) 28 [56 00 00 00 1c 00 00 00 ]
NEW > 1.Pre Command (LinkPGCN) Link PGC 10 [20 04 00 00 00 00 00 0A ]

Translation: Chapter selections for 1 – 16 are disabled.
31. Save VTS_01_0.IFO
32. In VIDEO_TS.IFO/VMGM_MAT/First Play PGC/PGC Command Table, edit

OLD > 1.Pre Command (JumpSS VMGM) Jump to VMG PGC: 1 [30 06 00 01 00 c0 00 00 ]
NEW > 1.Pre Command (JumpTT) Jump to Title: 1 [30 02 00 00 00 01 00 00 ]

Translation: When DVD is inserted, play the movie right away. Press root menu on remote to return to main menu.
33. Save VIDEO_TS.IFO
34. Get VTS Sectors
35. Preview and Test
36. That’s for Disk 2. Time to burn.

BURNING DISKS
37. For Disk 1 & 2, I used Imgtools 0.95 with reallocation unchecked successfully.
Note: With using Imgtools, I have Nero 5.5.9.17 installed on my computer.

Last edited by 2COOL; 13th February 2003 at 09:09.
2COOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2003, 22:16   #2  |  Link
Morgano

I need some help badly, I have some problems with your guide and was wondering could you explain a bit further please.

Step 3 Says "3. Region Free every IFO and save commands if region code commands were deleted. "

Do I just click on the region free button even if I have ripped the movie to my hdd with smart ripper which has make region free ticked?

Step 6 says "6. In VIDEO_TS.IFO/VMG Overview/Menu Language Unit:, delete playbacks on all your VOB-Ids (1 to 4).

Menu 1: [entry only] (Programs: 2) (Cells: 2) (uses VOB-IDs: 1) Columbia Tristar logo
Menu 2: [entry only] (Programs: 2) (Cells: 2) (uses VOB-IDs: 2) PG-13 Declaration

Translation: Columbia Tristar Intro Logo, PG-13 clip, and FBI warnings are bypassed. "

When I open the main IFO file where is the VIDEO_TS.IFO/VMG Overview/Menu Language Unit part (I think I found something at the bottom but there are 8 menu lines there do I just click on the first and then click on delete playback? And repeat for the other 3 leaving 4 not touched?

Step 13 Says "13. Cell 14 (part of Ch 14) is selected by IFOedit as a middle point to strip. Select Cell 19 (Ch 17) as your new split point. Now, stop and read. "

I do not understand this section as I have nothing on the screen appart from some tick boxes but nothing that says chapter?

I must sound like a complete idiot, but I tend to follow things to the letter.

I thought you could just rip the main movie to HDD with IFO files and just click get VTS sectors. I have tried this but when I use Power DVD 4.0 to play the movie get an error which doesnt allow me to play the movie.

The help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Morgano
Morgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2003, 23:52   #3  |  Link
2COOL

Hi Morgano,

First of all, I only do NTSC region 1 DVD backups. It has been brought to my attention though that PAL DVDs may contain some differences, but it is still possible to use the same methods to get yours to work.

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgano
I need some help badly, I have some problems with your guide and was wondering could you explain a bit further please.

Step 3 Says "3. Region Free every IFO and save commands if region code commands were deleted. "

Do I just click on the region free button even if I have ripped the movie to my hdd with smart ripper which has make region free ticked?

I put that in there because there are cases that some region codes were still embedded. It doesn't hurt to region free again. I just do it out of habit.

Quote:
Step 6 says "6. In VIDEO_TS.IFO/VMG Overview/Menu Language Unit:, delete playbacks on all your VOB-Ids (1 to 4).

Translation: Columbia Tristar Intro Logo, PG-13 clip, and FBI warnings are bypassed. "

When I open the main IFO file where is the VIDEO_TS.IFO/VMG Overview/Menu Language Unit part (I think I found something at the bottom but there are 8 menu lines there do I just click on the first and then click on delete playback? And repeat for the other 3 leaving 4 not touched?

In your case, double left click on all menus that have VOB-IDs associated with them and view. You'll know which ones you need to delete playback on so that they are bypassed in the intro. Don't forget step 5 before you start editing/deleting.

Quote:

Step 13 Says "13. Cell 14 (part of Ch 14) is selected by IFOedit as a middle point to strip. Select Cell 19 (Ch 17) as your new split point. Now, stop and read. "

I do not understand this section as I have nothing on the screen appart from some tick boxes but nothing that says chapter?

Step 9 and 10 is pretty much straight forward. In step 10, did you check “Split to 2 DVD-Rs”? After you set your destination folders and pressed OK, you should have got your Stream List window after that. You’ll see all your chapters and cells. This is where you select your split point. When you do get your Stream List window, reread step 13 on why I selected my split. I don’t know if your chapter selection menu layout is the same as mine but you can use the same method.

Quote:

I thought you could just rip the main movie to HDD with IFO files and just click get VTS sectors. I have tried this but when I use Power DVD 4.0 to play the movie get an error which doesnt allow me to play the movie.

It doesn’t work that way. If you want to view your movie on your harddrive using PowerDVD, check this guide in Doom9 “The Basics” section. It’s in HD Playback Guide. Here’s the link. Doom9.org You can still use your Smartripper to rip all your files instead of DVD Decrypter.

Now for you to put your movie unto a DVD, you must have at these files present in your VIDEO_TS folder. VIDEO_TS.BUP, VIDEO_TS.IFO, VTS_01_0.BUP, and VTS_01_1.IFO. If your movie lies in another titleset other than titleset 1,then that must be included too. This is the bare minimum you need for an average DVD.

Last edited by 2COOL; 10th February 2003 at 01:04.
Old 10th February 2003, 19:00   #4  |  Link
Morgano

Thanks for the effort taken to reply, I will try it out tonight.

Thanks
Morgano
Morgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2003, 23:48   #5  |  Link
Ishnohiwa

"FINAL PRODUCT DESCRIPTON:
Disk 1:
Chapters 1 – 16 only
Original menu kept
No Special Features

Disk 2:
Chapters 17 – 28 only
Original menu kept
Special Features "

I got this from one of your DVD's which you had split into 2 DVD's. I'm trying like mad to split "The Bourne Identity" but it's not completely working...yet. There are a couple of things which I don't understand in the explanation and there's also the absence of 2 of the programs you're using. I'm using the "simple" Afterdawns guide for splitting a DVD-9 into 2 DVD-5's.

I've managed so far to split the DVD into 2 parts, but then the menu with bonus material seems to be screwed. I'm also wondering why you use "Get VTS vectors" after some changes to IFO files. I guess you also have to keep track on the exact chapters you move to DVD nr. 2 and change certain files in order to have them refer to the correct chapters.

I wonder if I ever manage to fully do this on my own....*sighs*

Ish
Ishnohiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2003, 03:32   #6  |  Link
2COOL

Quote:
Originally posted by Ishnohiwa
There are a couple of things which I don't understand in the explanation and there's also the absence of 2 of the programs you're using.
Quote:
"FINAL PRODUCT DESCRIPTON:
Disk 1:
Chapters 1 – 16 only
Original menu kept
No Special Features

Disk 2:
Chapters 17 – 28 only
Original menu kept
Special Features "

I've managed so far to split the DVD into 2 parts, but then the menu with bonus material seems to be screwed.
  • Are you referring to your first disk? if so, you can disable that bonus materials button now using MenuEdit, which wasn't available then. Here's the link> http://menuedit.dimad.net/home.html. If that doesn't work, check out this thread for a mirror download link > http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=51270

If you are referring to your second disk, it's possible you don't have all your bonus materials files present. I don't know what you mean by "screwed".
Quote:
I'm also wondering why you use "Get VTS vectors" after some changes to IFO files. I guess you also have to keep track on the exact chapters you move to DVD nr. 2 and change certain files in order to have them refer to the correct chapters.
  • Getting VTS sectors is only needed for standalone DVD-Players. Here's a link to Derrow's, IFOedit author, guide and explanation > Correcting start sector addresses. There are also more guides for your future references in this site. Just go to homepage and then to Guides.
Quote:
I wonder if I ever manage to fully do this on my own....*sighs*
  • Be optimistic and motivated and you will. One day, you'll be able to help someone who's in the same boat as you are now. Everybody is a newbie at one point.

Last edited by 2COOL; 19th April 2003 at 06:00.
Old 19th April 2003, 06:49   #7  |  Link
Ishnohiwa

Quote:
Originally posted by 2COOL

*blushes*...I did check the Doom9 download page, but it seems I'd checked the abbreviated part...thanks for correcting me; found the programs and will install them happily
  • Are you referring to your first disk? if so, you can disable that bonus materials button now using MenuEdit, which wasn't available then. Here's the link> http://menuedit.dimad.net/home.html. If that doesn't work, check out this thread for a mirror download link > http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=51270

If you are referring to your second disk, it's possible you don't have all your bonus materials files present. I don't know what you mean by "screwed".

Sorry, I was referring to my first disk. On the DVD there is a clip of Moby, "Extreme Ways" a very cool song. However, this one is included in the bonus material and whenever I choose this song, after splitting the whole movie on 2 DVD's it just stops doing anything. The same is valid whenever I choose for some deleted scenes from within the bonus material.
Anyway, I'll check into this again, but for now I got a little upset with myself not being able to do this and stripped the movie with DVDShrink only (level 3 if I can remember correctly) and put only the movie on one single DVD. I'm sure going to follow your guide for "Signs" which is eagerly waiting to be edited on my pc still

[b]
  • Getting VTS sectors is only needed for standalone DVD-Players. Here's a link to Derrow's, IFOedit author, guide and explanation > Correcting start sector addresses. There are also more guides for your future references in this site. Just go to homepage and then to Guides.
  • Be optimistic and motivated and you will. One day, you'll be able to help someone who's in the same boat as you are now. Everybody is a newbie at one point.
I'm sure you are familiar with Afterdawm's guide for splitting a DVD to 2 DVD's. Somewhere along the guide he says that "In older versions of these processes, you would have to correct VTS SECTORS in “Disk 1” and “Disk 2” by opening up the VTS_0x_y.ifo and VIDEO_TS.ifo in each folder with IFOEDIT, but with IFOEDIT 0.94 you do not have to."
I assumed this was also valid for IFOEDIT 0.95, but you're doing the opposite. This just confused me a bit

It's really sweet of you to spend time to answer all these questions. It's really appreciated :-)

Ish
Ishnohiwa is offline   Reply With Quote