Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 14th January 2005, 08:28   #121  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

True. You found a bug, I'm not checking the postcommands looking for goto's...

jsoto
jsoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2005, 09:44   #122  |  Link
CoNS
reMember

@Sir Didymus: Ok, thanks for explaining, now I get it!

@jsoto: Just to be 100 % sure, what happens if I try to replace a PGC with a new one which has for example one less audio stream and one more subtitle stream than the original? Does VobBlanker choke on it and report an error or mess up the output?

(I'm aware that if the new PGC is imported correctly, I have to manually edit the attributes for the streams afterwards, so that the .ifo corresponds with the actual streams in the new PGC)

What about subtitle colours in the replacement process? Are they taken from the .ifo for the new PGC and put into the old disc structure, or are the old colours kept?
CoNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2005, 15:23   #123  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CoNS
@jsoto: Just to be 100 % sure, what happens if I try to replace a PGC with a new one which has for example one less audio stream and one more subtitle stream than the original? Does VobBlanker choke on it and report an error or mess up the output?
Currently, VobBlanker does nothing. That means, no checks, no warnings, no complains, no errors. You have to adjust manually the IFOs to get a properly authored Title. The only thing VobBlaniker currently does is to check the Video attributes; If they not match, a warning is poped-up and the user is allowed to change the original ones in one click.
BTW, I'm thinking in doing the same attribute checks for audio as it is done in video, but not for subpictures. The reason is clear, audio packs should be detected at the beginning of the replacing VOB, but subs can be only a few packs and, in the worst case, at the end of the VOB, so I should read completely the VOB, and it will be very time consuming, or I have to read the newly authored IFO, which is currently unused.

Quote:
What about subtitle colours in the replacement process? Are they taken from the .ifo for the new PGC and put into the old disc structure, or are the old colours kept?
The original ones are used. In fact, the IFOs of the newly athored DVD are unused (not opened by VobBlanker). Cell positions are read directly from the VOB.

jsoto

Last edited by jsoto; 14th January 2005 at 15:26.
Old 16th January 2005, 06:17   #124  |  Link
liquidrave

So where can I download the vob blanking program from? I can't seem to find the link.
liquidrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2005, 06:23   #125  |  Link
2COOL
PGC Navigator in Training

'Doh! It's right above you in jsoto's signature block.
Old 17th January 2005, 22:22   #126  |  Link
Surf
Senior Kindergarten

Hi Jsoto,

I hope you would explain this to a layman:

I am making up a simple example on cells. A movie, with 20 cells, each cell with 10 (lba?) sectors. The reason you don't implement the cell cutting is because each cell has an info that says "Hey, I am cell #5 and I am supposed to display sector #51 to 60..." ?? Is it for this reason it is not possible to cut sector #53 to #58? It looks this way for VOBblanker would only cut the start and the end..?

The reason for my interest is this: my ultimate backup goal is of course 100%. If I can have access to cutting at the cell levels I would do so, rudelessly getting rid of some scenes are would never be missed. All movies have these moments, don't they? For example, the last few sectors of Cell#5 and the first few of the next Cell#6.

Also is it possible for make the cutting more precise? As in typing the sector field the number exactly? This would be nice too...

Cheers,
Surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2005, 00:19   #127  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

I hope my English will be enough to explain... If not, please ask again.
Quote:
The reason you don't implement the cell cutting is because each cell has an info that says "Hey, I am cell #5 and I am supposed to display sector #51 to 60..." ??
No, this is not the problem. VobBlanker fixes the sector numbering, in the VOB and also in IFOs.

There are three things you have to take into account:
a) the cells in a PGC "usually" play in seamless mode, so SCR is "continuous" between the cells. Even more, due a/v delay, the audio to be played at the end of a cell could be in the firsts packs of the next one and viceversa. So cutting part of cells is only safe at the beginning or at the end of a PGC, but not in the middle.

b) Presentation Times (PTSs). Again, in a seamless PGC these times are continuous between cells.

c) Cell Elapsed times. These counters are zero in the beginning of a cell. They are managed by VobBlanker when cutting PGCs

So, cutting a Cell "in the middle" needs to change the mode from seamless to discontinuous and also adjustments in all these VOB parameters. Currently VobBlanker is not modifying SCR nor PTSs.

Quote:
Also is it possible for make the cutting more precise? As in typing the sector field the number exactly?
No, the minimum cut is at VOBU level.
A Cell is made of VOBUs, each one containing one GOP (well, not sure if one VOBU can have more than one GOP). A VOBU starts with a Nav pack and a GOP starts in a I-frame. So, you have to cut/keep the whole VOBU, otherwise you have to recode and remux again.

jsoto
Old 18th January 2005, 08:25   #128  |  Link
lovelegend

Sometimes I need to do this:
1) Replace PGC 1 with aaa.vob (they have the same number of cells)
2) Blank out cell # 1, 3, 5 of PGC 1
For now I need to do this in two separated steps, but is it possible to combine them into one (i.e., If I select PGC 1 and blank out cell # 1, 3, 5, and then press replace to replace it with aaa.vob, then it will copy all cells in aaa.vob but cell #1, 3, 5)?
lovelegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2005, 09:44   #129  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

@lovelegend
Well, cell replace is an option...
- Use VobEdit or VobBlanker to split the PGC in different files
- Use VobBlanker Cell replace/cell blank feature.
But in any case it will take some time.....

No, I'm not going to support this kind of things. IMHO they are not so usual and you have at least one way to do them...

jsoto

Last edited by jsoto; 18th January 2005 at 09:49.
Old 18th January 2005, 21:32   #130  |  Link
Surf
Senior Kindergarten

Quote:
the minimum cut is at VOBU level.
Having just re-visited TMPgenc site, I think me gets it. Their program cut at MPEG level, yours at VOB level. Pardone me on the lack of technical terms.

Thanks for the enlightenment Dr. Soong of VOBblanker
Surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2005, 08:58   #131  |  Link
Sir Didymus

@jsoto

It's just a very minor and silly post [even dubtful to report such a negligible thing...]. It seems (in the logging alone) the #cells is indexed on a "+1" basis...

I mean the following:

Code:
VTS 01: Processing VOB (Titles)
VTS 01: Replacing PGC 01 by C:\Temp\NEW_TS_01\VTS_01_1.VOB
     Cells to be replaced=16
     Replacing Cell # 2, VID=1  CID=1
     Replacing Cell # 3, VID=1  CID=2
     Replacing Cell # 4, VID=1  CID=3
     Replacing Cell # 5, VID=1  CID=4
     Replacing Cell # 6, VID=1  CID=5
     Replacing Cell # 7, VID=1  CID=6
     Replacing Cell # 8, VID=1  CID=7
     Replacing Cell # 9, VID=1  CID=8
     Replacing Cell # 10, VID=1  CID=9
     Replacing Cell # 11, VID=1  CID=10
     Replacing Cell # 12, VID=1  CID=11
     Replacing Cell # 13, VID=2  CID=1
     Replacing Cell # 14, VID=2  CID=2
     Replacing Cell # 15, VID=2  CID=3
     Replacing Cell # 16, VID=2  CID=4
     Replacing Cell # 17, VID=2  CID=5
VTS 01: Processing IFO (Titles)
Please consider the function carried out (the cell replacement) work perfectly...

Cheers,
SD
Sir Didymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2005, 09:00   #132  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

Yep, I've already noticed it. Currently fixed in 1.6.0.4 (still not released...)

jsoto
Old 20th January 2005, 16:02   #133  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

How to cut when cells are re-used

@jsoto

I have a DVD where the main movie is title 1 and also title 2 (haven't quite figured out why they did this, yet). They share the same VCIDs (i.e. they are not widescreen and fullscreen versions).

Now, I have no need for the credits and want to cut. But I can't! The "mark" buttons for start and end markers are greyed out - I assume this is because the cells are reused.

How do I get round this? Must I delete title 2 and change all references to it in the DVD to title 1? (This is not all that easy to do as the VTS also has titles 3, 4, and 5 - which are blanked, but referenced). Or is there a way to cut the cells?

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2005, 16:11   #134  |  Link
hf

I think only the second set of vcids is marked as reused.
You should be able to cut title1, but not title2 because
title2's cells are the ones that are reused.
hf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2005, 22:09   #135  |  Link
sweetness

hi blutach,
my bet is to extract the title 1 cell(s), make ifos and cut them, then replace them into title 2. this will change the VCIDs so that it is not shared any more with title 1.
don't know what you want blanked or kept, so you might have to play around with it.

BTW your dvd might get bigger too.
Old 20th January 2005, 23:36   #136  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

Re: How to cut when cells are re-used

Quote:
Originally posted by blutach
I have a DVD where the main movie is title 1 and also title 2 (haven't quite figured out why they did this, yet). They share the same VCIDs
It's "normal" if you want to have two different ends i.e...

Quote:

Now, I have no need for the credits and want to cut. But I can't! The "mark" buttons for start and end markers are greyed out - I assume this is because the cells are reused.
Nope, VobBlanker should allow you to do it, with some restrictions.:
Code:
dlgPreview.m_BEnableCut=FALSE;
if (theApp.m_iAction[nItemVTS][nItemT]==KEEP ||
    theApp.m_iAction[nItemVTS][nItemT]==CUT)
dlgPreview.m_BEnableCut=TRUE;
Please check if your PGC is marked as keep or cut before opening the preview dlg.

RESTRICTIONS:
When cutting a PGC, the already processed cells are skipped, let's say, if a Cell also belongs to PGC1, it will be processed (kept, blanked or cutted during PGC1 processing) and any selection done on it in PGC2 will be ignored.

Quote:

Or is there a way to cut the cells?
No at the moment.

jsoto
Old 20th January 2005, 23:42   #137  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sweetness
my bet is to extract the title 1 cell(s), make ifos and cut them, then replace them into title 2. this will change the VCIDs so that it is not shared any more with title 1.
Nope. Replacing PGCs keep the original VID/CID (the ones in the original IFOs)

jsoto
Old 21st January 2005, 00:17   #138  |  Link
Gang$ta

THX,for this tool,

it rocks, KUTGW
Gang$ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2005, 00:27   #139  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

@everyone

Thanks for the responses.

Couple of things. I did manage to get it working - don't know what was wrong the first time. I suspect I probably had "Process titles" unticked, LOL. Title 2 is adjusted automatically, after Title 1 is processed (as hf says, all Title 2's cells are marked as reused).

@jsoto - they are not different endings - there is no menu entry to indicate this and the VCIDs are absolutely the same. The only difference is that in Title 2, there are a number of cell commands scattered throughout the title. I will look at the original, but, again, I suspect that this is a thing where perhaps an extra refers back to a particular scene in the title. I wouldn't have authored it that way, but that's they way it's done.

Finally, I have cut at the start and the end. I understand fully why the flag should be set in the last 2 cells as 2 plus LB (BTW: DVD Shrink changes these to type 10 and the disk stops dead at the 2nd last cell (the last chapter) unless I change the flag back to 2 plus LB - very strange. I need to press next chapter to get it going again).

What I can't understand is why, when cutting from the beginning (I took the 1st minute of intros out), all the cells are now marked 2 plus LB.

Best regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.

Last edited by blutach; 21st January 2005 at 00:37.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2005, 00:56   #140  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blutach
What I can't understand is why, when cutting from the beginning (I took the 1st minute of intros out), all the cells are now marked 2 plus LB.
Mmmm, I don't understand.... But what is true is that the selection in the second PGC is ignored in terms of the VOB, but not regarding the IFO... (I know this is not a good behaviour, but it is the default...) So, if you select to completely cut the PGC #2, all cells in PGC 2 will be marked as 2 plus LB, but the PGC 2 will be in the VOB and the sectors will be correctly updated in PGC2.
jsoto