Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th February 2008, 23:16   #1  |  Link
orinoco

Audio Sync problem AutoGK 2.45

I have been trying to convert episodes of a TV show from the DVD into AVIs. The DGIndex process begins and then after a while it tells me that a Field Order Transition has been noticed, and that the audio may be out of sync.

It offers a suggestion to run a tool that presumably comes with the original DGIndex install set. If you click OK the AVI is created and 90% of the time the audio is out of sync.

Anybody seen this and know of a solution?

Last edited by orinoco; 7th February 2008 at 23:20.
orinoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 13:16   #2  |  Link
manono

Hi-

The field order problem has nothing to do with out-of-synch audio since, in any case, the length of the video remains unchanged. It would have been out-of-synch anyway.

Are you decrypting using DVD Decrypter in IFO Mode and starting with each episode in its own folder?

Also, for certain uses, ver 2.45 was broken and it might be in your best interests to upgrade to 2.48.

And as long as you have a constant asynch (out-of-synch by the same amount all the way through the video), you may as well learn how to correct the problem. It's pretty easy.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 17:03   #3  |  Link
orinoco

Manono, Thanks for the reply. As a bit of a noob at this stuff you're going to have to have to forgive me for asking dumb questions.

I decrypt the DVD using the latest version of AnyDVD so that the source files were on my hard disk. DVDDecrypter isn't in the equation at all.

Normally I don't get any errors, so when the DGIndex error popped up I automatically assumed that the out-of-sync audio was related. Certainly on the DVD there are no sound issues when viewed through CyberLink PowerDVD and on my 'set-top' player.

Is there an beginners guide to re-syncing the audio?

Will give AutoGK 2.48 a go.
Old 8th February 2008, 17:17   #4  |  Link
manono

Hi-

With the entire DVD on your hard drive, how are you getting each of the separate episodes into AutoGK? Is each episode in it's own VTS and have its own IFO? If so, then what you did should be OK. OK, here's how to fix the asynch, one way anyway:

Open the finished and out-of-synch AVI in Media Player Classic. Right-click the screen and go Options->Filter->Audio Switcher->check the "audio time shift" box, and fill in an estimate of the amount of asynch. Hit "Apply" and test it out. Negative values are to make the audio play earlier. 1000 ms= 1 second. Resume playback. Adjust until you get it right. At that point you'll know how much the audio is out of synch and how much to set the delay in VDubMod. Open the AVI in VDubMod, set the Video for Direct Stream Copy, go Streams->Stream List->Right-click the audio->Interleaving->Audio Skew Correction, and set the same delay as you found using MPC. OK your way out of there, go File->Save As, give it a new name, wait a minute or 2, and test it out.

When all done, either uncheck the box or set the audio time shift back to 0 in MPC. I understand you can do something similar using the KM Player, but I wouldn't know.
Old 8th February 2008, 18:05   #5  |  Link
orinoco

manono, here is the process I used;

Open the IFO for the single VTS that has all episodes encoded in it.
AutoGK tells me there are multiple PCGs in there and asks me to select which one I want.
I selected the longest play time that would encode all episodes into the same AVI, and planned to use VDubMP3 to then split it into individual episodes.
After that I gave it a location to save the AVI file, added the job and started it processing.

Thank for the instructions. I've copied them into a notpad file and left it in my "Useful hints" folder.
Old 22nd February 2008, 11:22   #6  |  Link
Michpaul
Interested noobie

WMP classic

Hey guys,

I am having about the same problem as Orinoco. At the moment, Just for a history, I am only concerned in making AVI's, and have made about 8 perfectly synched AVI's, but about 3-4 I haven't, for the life of me, been able to get them to synch properly no matter what dectryption tool I have used. So I am now at the point where I would love to learn how to just fix the bad AVI. I am using WMP 11 right now, and when I right click on the screen I do not get the "Options" tab. Do I need to use a different version of WMP to do your method Manono?
So far, the only movies that would not synch were: Chicken little, Pirates of the Caribbean 3, and The latest Pink Panther movie with Steve Martin. They all decrypted into PERFECT IFO's, but when I run that IFO through AutoGK, the video is either before or after the audio.

Thank you in advance for any advice and info!
Paul
Michpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 13:58   #7  |  Link
manono

Hello Michpaul and welcome to the forum,

It's not Windows Media Player, but Media Player Classic:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=403110

The KMPlayer has a similar ability to adjust the audio synch.

http://kmplayer.kde.org/
Old 22nd February 2008, 15:06   #8  |  Link
weaver4

Many of the tools that are based on avisynth (Like Autogk) seem to have audio sync problems occasionally. Most of the time these problems can be solved by the way the content is ripped; other times it can not. When these times occur I move to a tool that is based on mencoder which seem to do a better job. Two tools that you may try that are based on Memcoder are:

AutoMen and MPEG Mediator. MPEG Mediator is about 5 years old, but it is amazing on well it still works. AutoMen is a very, very basic (but good) tool.

Or you could learn the mencoder command line and encode like a Linux guru.
weaver4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2008, 20:37   #9  |  Link
Michpaul
Interested noobie

Real Close!

Manono,

I am getting real close, and thank you for the help so far. I tried everything with WMP Classic, and VDubMod, but had some problems there. Have you ever been able to fix an out of sync video so that you can't tell it was ever out of sync? Or is it always going to be, at least a little, off?

From your other topic with arrirc about PGCDemux, http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=134552 I tried that out. I ran the IFO for Pirates that I have saved on my Compter through PGCDemux, and then ended up with about 5 different VOB's. I ran the Largest VOB, just over 3G, through AutoGK, and it came out in PERFECT sync! Problem was, it was missing a little more than an hour of the video. How can I find out which VOB to use to run through AutoGK? Any idea why it would be missing some of the Video? I had AutoGK set to 1cd, so I don't see any other parts of the video anywhere. Any clue?

Thanks again, also, thanks for the info weaver4. I will check them out.
Paul

Last edited by Michpaul; 23rd February 2008 at 20:53. Reason: forgot to mention something..
Old 26th February 2008, 23:15   #10  |  Link
Michpaul
Interested noobie

It worked!!!

Hi Manono,

I just wanted you to know that I got that video to sync correctly FINALLY! I used your suggestion from the topic by arrirc, where you suggested to use DVDFab, and click on the "Main movie" tab. Such a simple solution giving me a HUGE headache, but I am now relieved! Thank you so much for all the help! I decided to place this in this topic, so not to further interrupt arrirc's questions. So arrirc, if you read this, thank you also for your input!

Later,
Paul