Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD burning
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th May 2011, 22:52   #1  |  Link
ripburnlearn

Burned Section Of a Blu-Ray - Oddities?

I always like to examine my burned media to see if there are imperfections or something odd going on. I just burned my first BD-R media recently (Optical Quantum) and I noticed some weird things (I'm using imgburn btw...). The burned discs has tiny little dots on the inner portion of the burned area, while all the other discs don't have this. All the discs have two varying colors of "burning". The inner section is lighter while the upper section of the burned disc is a darker color. Are all BD-R media like this? I run a verify command on all my BD-R burns and all of them have burned successfully.

Can anyone explain why the media has different shades of color on it?

I also wanted to say that perhaps this section of the forums should not be called "DVD Burning" but rather "Disc Burning" or something similar because the name DVD burning implys that this section isn't for Blu-Ray burning?
ripburnlearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 18:32   #2  |  Link
yetanotherid
Banned

The way I understand it a disc can be burned from start to finish while the burner slowly changes the rotational speed of the disc (constant linear velocity), or it can change the rotational speed in "zones" (Zoned Constant Linear Velocity). I think there's other methods but those are the main burning strategies. Which method is used may depend on the type of blank disc and the speed at which you're burning etc. If the zoned method is used it can produce a disc which looks something like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Zone_clv.jpg
It sounds like your burner is dividing the disc into two zones.

The tiny little dots sound like the layer of dye may not be perfect for that particular disc.
yetanotherid is offline   Reply With Quote