Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th July 2013, 19:46   #1  |  Link
Marin85

Some questions about Nic'S WMEnc interface

Hi,

I am trying to encode a VC-1 clip from an Avisynth script with Nic's WMEnc, I have read through some VC-1 codec manual with respect to the advanced settings, but I have some questions regarding the elementary options in WMEnc GUI. More specifically:

1) Under 'Video options', what does the number 'Quality' stand for? I can enter there some random number, e.g. 85 or 100 etc., but I don't know what it refers to.

2) Is 'Bitrate' given in kbps or some other unit?

3) Secs/KF stands for how frequent the encoder will insert a key-frame?

4) My understanding is that the interface will default to CBR if VBR is not selected?

5) Under VBR options one can select 'Constrained' or 'Unconstrained', I understand what these do. But there is also an option for 'Quality'. What does it refer to?

6) There is also a setting for 'VBR quality'. What is that for? Is this the equivalent of 'CRF' from x264 (i.e. variable bitrate, each frame takes as many bits as needed, final size unpredictable)?

7) Under 'Advanced options' there is a setting 'Buffer Window Size'. Is that where one specifies the VBV buffer size?

Now, I realize that some of these questions might sound awfully stupid, but my problem is that I have been trying unsuccessfully to produce a 15 Mbps encode of a 1920x1080 clip in WVC1 using that tool, getting results with bitrate ~ 700-800 kbps. So, there must be something very obvious that I am missing here.

Last edited by Marin85; 26th July 2013 at 20:12.
Marin85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 14:12   #2  |  Link
Marin85

Quote:
Originally Posted by jq963152 View Post
Just wondering:

Why VC-1?
For educational purposes

Quote:
Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 SP2 (which, according to benwaggoner, uses a better VC-1 encoder) supports AviSynth scripts as input AFAIK, see for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AviSynt...tible_programs

So, maybe use Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 SP2 instead?
Thanks for the hint, I was not aware of that and will definitely check it out.
Marin85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2013, 03:53   #3  |  Link
Númenórean

Quote:
Just wondering:

Why VC-1?

Why not H.264 (x264)?

Also:

Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 SP2 (which, according to benwaggoner, uses a better VC-1 encoder) supports AviSynth scripts as input AFAIK, see for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AviSynt...tible_programs

So, maybe use Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 SP2 instead?
are you sure you can encode "H.264" with Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 SP2?? according to MS you need to buy an upgrade.

Quote:
Please note: This free version of Expression Encoder 4 does not include support for live IIS Smooth Streaming and H.264 encoding. Some SP2 features, including GPU encoding and live template support, are also only available in Expression Encoder 4 Pro. To use these features, upgrade to Expression Encoder Pro.

Last edited by Númenórean; 18th August 2013 at 04:12.
Númenórean is offline   Reply With Quote