Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 24th August 2003, 01:40   #1  |  Link
lchiu7

Minority Report R4 - ifoedit problems so also used dvdfab

Tried to split the above DVD using ifoedit. After all the processing ended up with two disk images that produced navigation errors when played in ifoedit. Tried the usual tricks of altering First Play PGC Pre command to go to Title 1 but the error remained. Also had no joy in removing the copyright warnings or the 20th Century Fox Logos at the beginning. Finally prevailed with a bit of hack resulting in not total solution but workable

Resplit the disc with dvdfab. With dvdfab the first disc is playable (albeit with copyright warnings and studio logos) fine in ifoedit as well as a burnt disk. However the second disk gets illegal navigation errors.

Accordingly went to the second disk image created by ifoedit and edited the video_ts.ifo file as follows:

1. Altered the First Place PGC Pre command to go to the First Title. If I only do that the illegal navigation remains

2. Then went to

VMGM_PGCI_UT to each LU_1 entry looking for a Pre command in the PGC Command table. In my example for the first menu entry it looked like this

PGC Command Table:
[000000ec] Number of Pre Commands 1 [0001]
[000000ee] Number of Post Commands 0 [0000]
[000000f0] Number of Cell Commands 0 [0000]
[000000f2] Size of Command table in bytes 15 [000f]
[000000f4] 1.Pre Command (JumpTT) Jump to Title: 1 [30 02 00 00 00 01 00 00 ]

Note that I have changed the Pre Command to Jump to Title: 1

Did this for all the menu entries and voila, when the second disk is inserted it starts playing the movie as I want. The only strange behaviour is, it starts playing the movie from 60 seconds from the end of the first disk :-) In fact that 60 seconds is a separate chapter and if I press chapter forward on my remote it starts the movie at the right place, presumably at the layer break. I can only surmise that the problem is due to splitting the DVD using two different software packages and using one split from each but I can live with that

I can't bring up menus playing disk 2 but the menus are not important and most of the options can be selected on the fly with the remote control (language, titles etc.)

This is certainly the hardest disk I have had to work on so far

Larry

Just to provide more information. One one attempt I took the disc image created by DVDFab and did the above PGC editing. That also worked but created a really strange result. Upon insertion of the second disk the DVDFab menu came up saying Please Insert Disk 1. In fact this menu occurs as 11 chapters! So on pressing the skip chapter button on my DVD player 11 times and still seeing this screen, on chapter 12 the movie started at the right place! This is pretty strange and I don't pretend to understand this at all

Last edited by lchiu7; 25th August 2003 at 01:39.
lchiu7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2003, 05:36   #2  |  Link
mikewillnot

I got similar results/problems doing a dvdfab split of Spirited Away. I was unable to get the illegal navigation error to go away, but the error only comes from playing with IFO edit; the files play fine with PowerDVD. I don't know what to make of this. I think I'll try a test DVD-RW burn and see if it plays OK on the standalone.
Old 10th September 2003, 22:25   #3  |  Link
Josh

Are you using version 17.1 of dvdfab? Which version did you use?
Old 11th September 2003, 01:49   #4  |  Link
mikewillnot

DVDfab version 0.17.1
Old 11th September 2003, 05:36   #5  |  Link
Josh

Dang, too bad. I haven't had any problems with dvdfab yet. And that's burning the movie right after splitting the movie, not modifying anything else using ifoedit?
Old 11th September 2003, 15:21   #6  |  Link
mikewillnot

All I did was rip it using DVD-D, and then run DVDfab on the ripped files. I think. Sometimes I change the first play line prior to splits, but I don't recall doing that here. I tried it later, in an attempt to get rid of the illegal navigation error, but no good. BTW, I've read one or two other posts on the same DVDfab problem (no answsers, possibly another forum); I've also been discussing this backup with 2COOL in another POST.
Old 12th September 2003, 00:05   #7  |  Link
Josh

Ok. I know for Shrek and Jungle Book I changed the first play command to Jump to Video Manager Menu, and for some reason it doesn't work, I have to hit the menu button on the remote to get it to go there. other than that the movies play fine. I was wondering if that might have been the problem on yours too.
Old 12th September 2003, 02:39   #8  |  Link
lchiu7

I think my problem might be due to using two different programs to split the DVD - still having to hit the skip button 11 times was a little strange

One thing I have learnt - there is no cut and fast way of doing this work - each disk has its own challenges

Larry
lchiu7 is offline   Reply With Quote