Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 3rd May 2010, 17:27   #2421  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
How about smooth motion? Is it still as smooth as v0.11 for you?
I can definitely see the difference between 0.9 and 0.10 (can't stand 0.9 - possibly my 9600M GT isn't fast enough to run without a queue). v0.11 seems fine so far, but I haven't had the chance to test on a higher resolution monitor to see if it will hiccup.

random edit: IMO, softcubic is too soft for me if I want to upscale something like 400p-> 1080p.

Last edited by namaiki; 3rd May 2010 at 17:31.
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 17:56   #2422  |  Link
kostik

Thanks Madshi, works great for.
Have someone noticed that when you force MADVR in the filter manager in mpc, and choose EVR CS in the output menu with D3D exclusive checked , you get the madvr work with d3d exclusive mode? it works for me! can someone explain it:?
Attached Images

kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 18:00   #2423  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
I don't know for sure. I still don't know what the exact issue is to start with. But I do have some future improvements in store, even for windowed mode. Anyway, have you only tested stability with v0.12? Or did you also test whether playback is still as smooth as v0.11?
I've tested stability and playback smoothness for a few hours..everything looks fine so far, just as smooth as b11 to my eyes in 96Hz on my CRT...I will try 48Hz on my DLP pj later

well it's the same ole VSYNC fliptime thingie: Video Frame Display Synchronization - Intel Software Network

that's the only serious problem I've had in b11, and the only presenter I know of that seems to completely overcome this issue is Beliyaal's EVR CP...it seems to wait for the right time to present the first frame, so the video is perfectly synchronized to the output...and Reclock's tight timings become easy to "follow"...because it's a very old issue with Reclock: the VR doesn't catch the fliptime properly > Reclock doesn't know and sends very tight timings(hoping for the best)> the VR is forced to drop frames soon or later(it can happen right away if it completely missed it to begin with, or it can happen after 30/45 mins because it's been slowly derivating around the fliptime )

that's my understanding of wth is going on anyway, and I'm sure Jong could get into it much more thoroughly.

OTOH, a dirty fix is to force D3D exclusive mode, which will force everyone(the OS, the graphic drivers, the VR, Reclock) to sing along and minimize the drifting around the actual fliptime.

to sum up: sometimes when I seek with Reclock, mVR completely misses the fliptime and it's a drop feast...sometimes, it's fine for 30/45' then it starts dropping frames...and sometimes it works perfectly fine for 2H in a row(but it takes quite a bit of luck )
Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
Try disable ReClock vsync correction.
it's disabled.

Last edited by leeperry; 3rd May 2010 at 19:19.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 18:03   #2424  |  Link
namaiki

kostik, can you right-click the video and get a menu? I'm pretty sure it's not exclusive. :/

Last edited by namaiki; 3rd May 2010 at 18:08.
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 18:51   #2425  |  Link
Steveo08

@madshi

when i select madvr as renderer and start a video, i get always a black screen and mpc-hc is freezing. so i have to go to the task-manager to quiet mpc-hc.
Steveo08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 19:01   #2426  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
Do you still think SoftCubic is still the best looking one madshi?
Yes, but I only ever liked it for chroma upsampling. For luma it's much too soft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
I've tested stability and playback smoothness for a few hours..everything looks fine so far, just as smooth as b11 to my eyes in 96Hz on my CRT...I will try 48Hz on my DLP pj later
Happy to hear that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo08 View Post
when i select madvr as renderer and start a video, i get always a black screen and mpc-hc is freezing. so i have to go to the task-manager to quiet mpc-hc.
Can you please create a debug log for me? Here is a special madVR 0.12 version which writes a log to C:\log.txt:

http://madshi.net/madVRdebug.rar

Simply replace the original madVR.ax file with the debug one. Then start MPC HC and let it freeze. Let it stay in frozen state for at least 10 seconds. Then terminate MPC HC. Hopefully on your PC madVR will have write access to that path? Then please upload the log somewhere, it will probably be too long to post it here. Thanks!
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 19:21   #2427  |  Link
kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
kostik, can you right-click the video and get a menu? I'm pretty sure it's not exclusive. :/

No I get no menu when I click right ... it works exectly as if I were using evr cp with D3D!
Old 3rd May 2010, 19:26   #2428  |  Link
kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostik View Post
No I get no menu when I click right ... it works exectly as if I were using evr with D3D!
However, when I choose evr cp as output with D3D checked , I get a menu but when choosing somethibg it looks like the video is on top, and it also starts with a full screen.
Old 3rd May 2010, 19:28   #2429  |  Link
Steveo08

@madshi

i replaced your debug file, but it won't write a log file in the dir from madvr and i have write access on my htpc.
Old 3rd May 2010, 19:36   #2430  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

@Steveo08, the log is supposed to be created in "C:\log.txt" and not in the madVR dir. Have you looked at the C:\ root?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 19:37   #2431  |  Link
iSeries

Just tried 0.12. Unfortunately the same issues I had with 0.11, which are tearing at 23 / 24hz without Aero and stuttering with Aero. The only way I can get MadVR to work without issue is to disable Aero, set my TV to 50hz and use Reclock to speed up 23.976 material to 25hz.
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 20:03   #2432  |  Link
Steveo08

Quote:
@Steveo08, the log is supposed to be created in "C:\log.txt" and not in the madVR dir. Have you looked at the C:\ root?

it was my mistake, i found the log in c:

http://rapidshare.com/files/383139689/log.txt.html
Old 3rd May 2010, 20:56   #2433  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

I've run into few problems in 0.12 which also existed in 0.11.

The first is a massive stutter (Render Queue drops like a rock) during a small portion of Avatar, but only when using a 3DLUT. I suspect this issue may be the same as the one with Advent Children, which I reported to you a long time ago.

The second is with a 16:9 Anamorphic 720x480 XVID encode which only shows a black screen and the video doesn't even playback (stays on 00:00) when using madVR.

The third is a problem with a Youtube 480p H264 FLV. CoreAVC as the decoder causes a crash. FFDShow as the decoder doesn't crash, but the output has black bars on the sides (854x480 padded to 864x480). CoreAVC as the decoder to FFDSHOW RAW to madVR and everything displays correctly (854x480).

Here are the debug logs for all three problems: http://www.mediafire.com/?oo3lk4mzwcm

I've sent you a PM with links to samples of the above problems.

Edit: There is also a new 'problem' where the Render Queue never fills up beyond 7/8. With madVR 0.11, the Render Queue was always 8/8.

Edit2: I also have that 100% CPU problem when paused for a long time. Problem occurs in both 0.11 and 0.12.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 4th May 2010 at 00:13.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 21:16   #2434  |  Link
cyberlolo

Hi Madshi.

First of all, thank you for your great work. Your renderer is stunning.

But I'm still missing an option to have the output at 16-254 levels. I mean, with the current version, we have two options:

- TV Levels (16-235)
- PC Levels (0-255)

But it would be great if the renderer could offer us another option to clip BTB (all values from 0-16 as total black, and begin to grow from level 17), AND preserving WTW (all the grayscale up to 254 is showed, having top white at 254, then 253 as light gray, 252 a little bit darker, and so on...).

By now, we can achieve that by using ffdshow's levels filter, but as it works at an 8-bit level, it introduces banding. Another option will be to use the new version of cr3dlut, which yesgrey said that will support this feature, but we don't know if yesgrey will release it soon, and I think this feature is a must for achieving the best possible PQ.

Thanks in advance!
cyberlolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 21:31   #2435  |  Link
Grmpf

Hello madshi, great to see you back here in this thread !

I still got the tearing problem with 23.976/24.000hz (50.000/59.940hz are fine). HTPC is a Intel Q9950 + ATi 4770 (Win XP SP3, CCC 10.4, ZoomPlayer + CoreAVC/ffdshow + madVR + ReClock), so power shouldn't be a problem.. I tried madVR with/without anti-tearing fix and with/without ReCLock VSync Correction - no joy.

On the other hand overlay/vmr9 windowed/vmr9 renderless are working perfect (with ReClock VSync Correction) at 23.976/24.000hz.

Still hoping for the exclusive mode ;-)
Grmpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 21:35   #2436  |  Link
makakam

I use directvob sub for displaying subtitles with madVR but with some files it doesn't work, I don't know why. Oh and when i play some files with the newest mpc hc the picture looks like this
so I have to use some older version.
makakam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 21:36   #2437  |  Link
SacredCultivator

Hey,

I have one problem with this that i did with .11 as well.

But it's mainly for XviD encodes taht I noticed, as there are no problems for x264 encodes.

These apply for Animorphic encodes like cyberlolo mentioned. For Animorphic 720x480 XviD encodes, it doesn't display the correct resolution, but for H264 encode of the same file, it is displayed correctly.
When you right click on the video and check the Properties, it does say 720x480, but not 720 x 480 (AR 4:3) or 720 x 480 (AR 853:480).

I have 3DLUT enabled, tried disabling with no results as well.

So not too sure what I might be doing incorrectly or if it might just be something with madVR.

(Not too sure about the Luma down/up + Chroma sampling settings, as there are too many, but are the defaults generally pretty good?)

Thanks.
SacredCultivator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 22:41   #2438  |  Link
Peuj

Quote:

Can you please create a debug log for me? Here is a special madVR 0.12 version which writes a log to C:\log.txt:

http://madshi.net/madVRdebug.rar

Simply replace the original madVR.ax file with the debug one. Then start MPC HC and let it freeze. Let it stay in frozen state for at least 10 seconds. Then terminate MPC HC. Hopefully on your PC madVR will have write access to that path? Then please upload the log somewhere, it will probably be too long to post it here. Thanks!
Same problem for me, here's my log file:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T76COMTZ

Thanks
Peuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 22:53   #2439  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredCultivator View Post
(Not too sure about the Luma down/up + Chroma sampling settings, as there are too many, but are the defaults generally pretty good?)
The madVR upscaling and chroma defaults are very soft, but should have minimal to no aliasing or haloing/ringing, which is why madshi picked them as the defaults.

If you find the defaults too soft, try out a sharper resizer like Spline36 or Lanczos4. Don't feel like you need to restrict yourself to the defaults. Experiment around and pick whichever you think looks best to you. If you can't tell any difference between resizers, then you may as well stick to the defaults.

In terms of speed:
Very Fast: Bilinear, Nearest Neighbor
Fast: Bicubic, SoftCubic, Catmul-Rom, Mitchell-Netravali
Slow: Spline36, Lanczos3, Lanczos4
Very Slow: Spline64, Lanczos8

In terms of sharpness it should be something like the following:
-Soft-
Bilinear
SoftCubic 50
SoftCubic 60
SoftCubic 80
SoftCubic 100 (or is SoftCubic reversed with 100 being softest and 50 sharpest?)
Mitchell-Netravali
Bicubic 50
Catmul-Rom
Bicubic 60
Bicubic 75
Spline36
Lanczos3
Spline64
Lanczos4
Lanczos8
-Sharp-

Bicubic, Catmul-Rom, and Lanczos will all have moderate ringing/haloing.
The Spline resizers are designed to be as sharp as possible with minimal ringing/haloing.
I seem to remember madshi mentioning that Lanczos had less alaising but more ringing/haloing then Spline.

You can get away with choosing a softer resizer for Chroma since most detail is contained in Luma.

I personally use:
Luma Upscaling: Spline36
Luma Downscaling: Spline64
Chroma Resampling: Mitchell-Netravali

Last edited by cyberbeing; 4th May 2010 at 03:38.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 23:25   #2440  |  Link
SacredCultivator

Thanks cyberbeing for the little breakdown, shall play around with those and see what works for me, or if I even see any difference.
SacredCultivator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling