Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th February 2009, 21:16   #1  |  Link
Paddy97

DVD Rebuilder - Green stuff and bad crop

Can anyone please help me out with this problem. DVD Rebuilder Pro ( latest build ) creates AVS files that produces the following problems in the picture. Therefore the encodes also look like this.

The picture gets cropped wrong and there is green stuff in the bottom of the picture. I have a brand new PC and just reinstalled DVD Rebuilder and I get this. Where should I start looking for problems?

http://www.fenrisulven.se/dvdrberr1.jpg

http://www.fenrisulven.se/dvdrberr2.jpg

Any help appreciated.
Paddy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 17:31   #2  |  Link
martinreed

Green flickering at bottom of film

I am creating iPod versions of all of my favourite films and I am also getting the green stuff at the bottom of the MP4, but only on certain films.

I have processed about 250 films so far and only five have this effect: Bourne Ultimatum, Fool's Gold, Hancock, Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and Scary Movie 4, but the effect does make the film unwatchable.

The effect looks like an audio level display, constantly changing in amplitude. However, I've had a look at several of the films and the effect does not seem to be related either to volume level or to display brightness intensity.

I have also tried different sources of the same film, for example my two-disc UK original, a two-disc German original (I am working in Switzerland) and a single-disc German original, but all end out with the same result. I am mystified.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance...
DVD-RB Pro 1.28.2, incidentally, on Windows XP with IE7 but otherwise all latest patches
martinreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2009, 22:22   #3  |  Link
jdobbs

It looks like a bad rip to me.
Old 2nd December 2009, 02:09   #4  |  Link
martinreed

Well, I use exactly the same technique from start to finish: I activate AnyDVD (always the latest version), rip the disc using Imgburn (I have four different DVD drives in case the disc throws up a read error in my main one), mount the ISO in Daemon Tools and then rebuild from there, and for all of the other films it has worked perfectly.

I have tried three different original discs of Pirates of the Caribbean 2, all with the same end result, and have just tried mounting Pirates 2 and Scary Movie 4 in Daemon Tools and playing via WinDVD 9 and both play perfectly, without any green flicker. My feeling is that there has to be something that these films have in common, but I'm not video-technical, so I wouldn't even know where to start.
Old 2nd December 2009, 03:29   #5  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

Have you tried to rip to image directly with anydvd?

/LD
LowDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 06:05   #6  |  Link
chainring

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinreed View Post
Well, I use exactly the same technique from start to finish: I activate AnyDVD (always the latest version), rip the disc using Imgburn (I have four different DVD drives in case the disc throws up a read error in my main one), mount the ISO in Daemon Tools and then rebuild from there, and for all of the other films it has worked perfectly.
Ripping with Imgburn? I'm not in front of a PC right now (on the Mac), but does Imgburn have a selection in I/O settings for using the ElbyCDIO.sys driver? If not, I would revert to using DVD Decrypter, which does have that selection. Or, try as LowDead stated and rip from AnyDVD.

Code:
DVD Decrypter settings when using AnyDVD for decryption:

General:
unticked "Remove Macrovision Protection"
unticked "Check for Structure Srotection"

ISO Read Mode:
unticked all marks except "Create MDS file"

CSS:
selected "None" as "CSS Cracking Method"
unticked "Detect Mastering Errors" in the CSS tab (should be deselected by default)

I/O:
selected "ElbyCDIO - Elaborate Bytes" as "Interface"

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=160187
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1229938&postcount=26
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 17:59   #7  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinreed View Post

I have tried three different original discs of Pirates of the Caribbean 2, all with the same end result, and have just tried mounting Pirates 2 and Scary Movie 4 in Daemon Tools and playing via WinDVD 9 and both play perfectly, without any green flicker. My feeling is that there has to be something that these films have in common, but I'm not video-technical, so I wouldn't even know where to start.
I agree -- but the point is: are they ripping correctly? The original post says "creates an AVS with these problems" -- the AVS only frame serves what is ripped, it doesn't do any processing. It decodes and presents the picture that is in the ripped source.

That means the blocks are there in the rip -- before DVD-RB is even executed.
Old 2nd December 2009, 22:39   #8  |  Link
ggtop

it is also a mystery to me why you use AnyDVD and Imgburn/DVDDecrypter to rip your discs. But you have to know...
I've seen the green stuff on some German releases (R2), e.g. "Free Rainer - Dein Fernseher lügt". If I remember correcty RipIt4Me couldn't process that title and FabDecrypter ended with no errors, but Preview in VobBlanker showed these green bars. I don't know how this copy protection is called but AnyDVD could handle this. I always load my rips into VobBlanker (and PGCEdit) to verify the rip, because sometimes the rippers produce non-standard output (exclude RipIt..if it states that there were no problems there are none )

Please try another method to rip your disc to make sure which of your apps make problems: AnyDVD, ImgBurn or DaemonTools???

ggtop
ggtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 22:43   #9  |  Link
martinreed

chainring, thanks for the tip about the DVD Decrypter configuration file. I had been using ImgBurn to rip in preference to DVD Decrypter on the basis that maybe AnyDVD and DVD Decrypter's decryption capabilities would clash, but because IMGBurn doesn't have any decryption capabilities, I assumed that it would just see an unprotected disc as presented to it by AnyDVD.

LowDead, I didn't know that AnyDVD actually had a ripping capability, I thought it was just a transport layer, but thanks also for the tip.

jdobbs and ggtop, you were right, it was something to do with the rip. I am now using DVD Fab Decrypter to rip the main movie to a folder, which bypasses all the AnyDVD, ImgBurn and Daemon Tools components, and all my iPod movies now come out perfectly.

Thanks everyone for your help!