Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 30th October 2016, 05:00   #39901  |  Link
digitech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
I guess most people don't use the same settings and for a good reason . At the same time, my most watched material is drawn and many of it is low resolution or the lineart is a bit thick. Having really strong edge sharpening and thinning helps making the entire image look sharper / like it has a considerably better definition.
Im curious to know which are your settings to enhance anime in sd format, can you share with us?
digitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2016, 05:19   #39902  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitech View Post
Im curious to know which are your settings to enhance anime in sd format, can you share with us?
I use a combination of Avisynth and madVR, but regarding madVR, it's all about NNEDI3 really. I use 64 taps for lower resolution stuff with SSIM 1D 100% + Jinc.
madVR's line thinning can be okay when used at low values. I also generally like to use crispen edges at about ~1.0 if I remember rightly.
'Reduce ringing artifacts' is an absolute must for low res content.

Last edited by ryrynz; 30th October 2016 at 05:22.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2016, 18:40   #39903  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
So it sounds like you don't use this method Warner?
You set your video card to 2160 and only use Image Enhancements for sharpening, is that correct?

If I have this right, why do you prefer the above method not using Image Doubling?
I like to use image sharpening, and image sharpening is not as effective when supersampling (image doubling of a native source). Adding unnecessary image upscaling may actually make the image appear worse.

1.5-2x upscales are where I employ image doubling (SD -> 1080p and 720p -> 1080p).
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2016, 20:27   #39904  |  Link
JarrettH

Hope you guys didn't jinx development by sharing that 4chan thread
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 19:33   #39905  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
I like to use image sharpening, and image sharpening is not as effective when supersampling (image doubling of a native source). Adding unnecessary image upscaling may actually make the image appear worse.

1.5-2x upscales are where I employ image doubling (SD -> 1080p and 720p -> 1080p).
So you don't use image doubling on 1080p content, you set the video card to 4K and use image enhancements.

You only use image doubling on DVD and 720p is that correct?

I don't think I have this right actually as if the card is set to 4K everything is 4K....

Last edited by 70MM; 31st October 2016 at 19:38.
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 19:37   #39906  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
1.5-2x just means scaling by 1.5 or 2x, e.g. 1280x720 to 1920x1080 is upscaling by 1.5 (720*1.5 = 1080).
Old 1st November 2016, 00:42   #39907  |  Link
CarlosCaco

Quote:
So you don't use image doubling on 1080p content, you set the video card to 4K and use image enhancements.

I don't think I have this right actually as if the card is set to 4K everything is 4K....

In the specs from JVC dla-x9000 says that the projector it's not true 4K native but have a e4 shift technology that generates/emulates a 4K picture... here's the explanation:

http://eu.jvc.com/microsite/eu/dla-x...ture01.html#4k

Also you are using lumagen that accept any input resolution and if you want the processor scale the input to any resolution up to 4K...

So you have a sort of options to choose...

To me seens you have to decide what is best:
Your projector 1080p native resolution or this 4K feature that seens to be high quality (i never saw this feature so i don t know the result)

When you choose what's the best quality
You have to put the gpu and the lumagen to the same resolution so only madvr will scale the image...

Doubling in madvr is good, but depending on resolution it's a matter of taste...
In my opinion doubling a 1080 source to 4K its essencial and will be best that any other upscaling algo

But for a 720 source to a 1080 output there people that like doubling it to 1440 and downscaling to 1080 and people who see no difference to upscaling with jinc using refinements
It's a matter of taste and power...

Also with supersampling... just stay in mind that at 4K your projector its using an algorithm to process the image too

In your situation it's hard to determine what's the right setting... the only thing I can higly recommend is to set gpu and lumagen to the same resolution because doing this you garante that lumagen will not scale the image...

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
CarlosCaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 01:03   #39908  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:

I have a 1080p display.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 02:40   #39909  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosCaco View Post
In the specs from JVC dla-x9000 says that the projector it's not true 4K native but have a e4 shift technology that generates/emulates a 4K picture... here's the explanation:

http://eu.jvc.com/microsite/eu/dla-x...ture01.html#4k

Also you are using lumagen that accept any input resolution and if you want the processor scale the input to any resolution up to 4K...

So you have a sort of options to choose...

To me seens you have to decide what is best:
Your projector 1080p native resolution or this 4K feature that seens to be high quality (i never saw this feature so i don t know the result)
if the lens native resolution is 1080p and it is doing 4 shifts per image the image resolution is true UHD. it is just losing a lot of brightness. kinda like a CRT.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 21:31   #39910  |  Link
Mr. Durden

Hi everyone,

I'm just curious. Does anybody use the "black bar detection" feature for automatic screen masquerading in your projector setups? MadVR reliable detects the actual aspect ratio and also sends this info optional to the media player (JRiverMC in my case). So it might be possible to adjust motorized screens to respective aspect ratio. I tried jriver http commands, but I don't think this info is available there. In madVR OSD the aspect ratio is shown, but I don't know how to get hands on this info. Maybe someone could give me a hint. It would be great if mediaplayer or better madVR could send UDP Broadcast with current movie aspect ratio. This might be a very cool additional feature for madVR.

Any thoughts on this?

best regards from Berlin,

Stefan
Mr. Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2016, 23:09   #39911  |  Link
huhn

madVR already support this.

it can control the anamorphic lens of your projector.

go to device -> "your projector" set it to digital projector go to properties set the ip address of your projector.

the rest is under screen config
Old 2nd November 2016, 00:26   #39912  |  Link
Mr. Durden

:-) ah ok thanks, I wasn't really aware of this. I have a Sony projector with support for SDAP, SDCP, DDDP and Crestron Room View protocol. I will have a look into this, maybe a place to start for me.

But rather than controlling the projector lens I wan't to control my motorized screen. I don't want to scretch/compress the original picture. I have a screen with a motorized black border, which can be controlled via IR resp. my home automation system (http get, UDP broadcast, e.g.). It would be much easier to control if madVR would have a option to just UDP Broadcast aspect ratio.

greetings,

Stefan
Mr. Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 21:41   #39913  |  Link
Dodgexander

I've tried to search in the thread but couldn't find anything.

Any idea why my present queue is always at 0 or 1/8?

The strange thing is, I am running in fullscreen windowed mode and if something overlays the screen (such as right clicking or having a windows explorer window open in front of the player) the queue fills. Close it so the video is at front again and the queue disappears again.

I am not using fullscreen exclusive mode.

I have reset settings to default in madvr
I have tried setting everything to bilinear in madVR and the same happens
I have updated MadVR to the latest version.

It never happened before on older versions so I'm not sure what has changed.

There are rarely frame drops but its kind of weird

I am using a 576p 25fps test file upscaling to my laptops resolution of 1600x800. I have a i3230M with intel HD4000 graphics but I have also tried using the cuvid decoder in LAV video from the laptops Geforce 650m. The same occurs.

Last edited by Dodgexander; 2nd November 2016 at 22:11.
Dodgexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2016, 22:28   #39914  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgexander View Post
Any idea why my present queue is always at 0 or 1/8?
Do you use F.lux or something similar? Close all non essential apps to find the culprit.
Old 2nd November 2016, 22:45   #39915  |  Link
Dodgexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Do you use F.lux or something similar? Close all non essential apps to find the culprit.
Thankyou very much. f.luxx. You're right. I can't believe I didn't think of that especially when it was mentioned already earlier in the thread.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Dodgexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 10:15   #39916  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Why does F.Lux do that anyway? It should just be periodically setting the LUT being used for the display, right? I have a little homemade program to keep my LUT active (some games deactivate it when they open), and it doesn't cause problems with madVR.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 11:20   #39917  |  Link
ryrynz

I think it must have something to do with the layered window it uses. Switching to safe mode or switching to movie mode during playback also prevents the present queue from staying at 0-1.
Old 3rd November 2016, 15:41   #39918  |  Link
mario_O

If I enable 'full screen exclusive mode' when I'm watching a film, and then press 'Esc' or 'F11' to go to the desktop or change some settings, I get a black screen. I can hear the audio but I can't do anything else. The only way to close MPC-HC without getting the black screen is by hitting alt+f4. Using latest version and latest Nvidia drivers. Any ideas?

edit- nevermind, I was using an outdated version of madvr. Didn't know the latest version of MPC-HC used an old version of madvr (2014 i think). Dowloaded the latest madvr and everything works great.

Last edited by mario_O; 5th November 2016 at 16:57.
mario_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 21:07   #39919  |  Link
tony359

Hi,
Any help on my query on black bar detection which is not working on my system?

See http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...68#post1784168

Thanks
Tony
tony359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 21:22   #39920  |  Link
huhn

it doesn't work with DXVA native.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling