Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 18th December 2008, 05:48   #1  |  Link
ram16

convert DVD to DivX

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place. All I want to do is convert DVD disks to DivX files so as to have smaller files. I already use DVDfab Dycrypter quite successfully so I have a HDD full of ripped files also. I've tried several "converters" claiming to have this capability but so far none do. If someone can put me on the right track I'll be very grateful. Thanks.
ram16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 15:10   #2  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

autogk or avi.net.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2008, 15:31   #3  |  Link
ram16

can't find

I found plenty of info on autogk but even google won't search for avi.net. What is it?
Old 18th December 2008, 15:38   #4  |  Link

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...22avi%2enet%22
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 06:11   #5  |  Link
dat720

If you search google for avi.net the 2nd entry is the software that Sharktooth mentioned...... and if you search for "avi.net" as neuron2 suggested the same website is the 1st listing......

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...e+Search&meta= you might also want to try this particular search.
dat720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2008, 13:47   #6  |  Link
ram16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat720 View Post
If you search google for avi.net the 2nd entry is the software that Sharktooth mentioned...... and if you search for "avi.net" as neuron2 suggested the same website is the 1st listing......

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...e+Search&meta= you might also want to try this particular search.
Yes, thanks. I've tried using both AUTOGK & AVI.NET and found problems with both. There's a phrase in the AUTOGK tutorial that says VOB files must be "properly prepared" but does not elaborate. I think that's my problem with using AUTOGK. With AVI.NET I get a "runtime error" everytime I press the start button. I've recently installed a new HDD and allowed XP to update itself so I think my .NET version is current. I haven't investigated the new search path yet.
Old 19th December 2008, 15:03   #7  |  Link

Tell us what your problems were with AutoGK.
Old 19th December 2008, 16:16   #8  |  Link
ram16

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
Tell us what your problems were with AutoGK.
Well, I only got as far as step 2 where you select audio & subtitle tracks. There weren't any to select from. I went back and re-read the guide and when I got to the part about "prepared VOB files" I assumed that was my problem since I'm pretty sure there are some alternate angles etc. on this disk.
Old 19th December 2008, 20:47   #9  |  Link
ram16

Hmmm.....I got an e-mail saying Neuron2 had responded to my last post asking how I had ripped the files to my HDD. When I arrived here I found no such post. Anyway the answer is that I used DVDfab Decrypter which I have been using sucessfully for some time. A great program. It hasn't made me a coaster yet.
Old 20th December 2008, 04:37   #10  |  Link
ram16

I posted the runtime error problem on another forum and a user suggested updating my .NET files. After doing so the problem remains. Suggestions???
Old 20th December 2008, 05:05   #11  |  Link

Send a PM to len0x and politely draw his attention to this thread, mentioning you are having a problem with AutoGK. Tell him I sent you.
Old 20th December 2008, 07:58   #12  |  Link
ram16

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
Send a PM to len0x and politely draw his attention to this thread, mentioning you are having a problem with AutoGK. Tell him I sent you.

Done.
Old 23rd December 2008, 22:01   #13  |  Link
ram16

Update: I caught a virus in my new HDD & had to re-format yesterday so I decided to give AVI.NET a try on a fresh install. Guess what? No runtime error. It ran my files perfectly with one exception; NO AUDIO OR SUB-TITLES. I guess that's two problems. Any suggestions? BTW, during the course of my search I ran upon a fee based program called "fair use wizard" that converted a DVD perfectly. Only one catch (besides the price), it has to rip it's own files. It won't use files previously ripped to the HDD. It's beyond me why anybody would do that. it's fast too. It did a DVd in just over an hour on my Core 2 Duo.