Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > DVD2AVI / DGIndex
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st March 2005, 13:05   #1  |  Link
MarcN

Interlaced or not?

Hello

I have ripped a PAL DVD with DVDDecrypter and now I want to index it with DGIndex (V 1.2.1). DGIndex reports the VOBs to be interlaced:

Frame Type: Interlaced
Frame Struct: Field
Field Order: Bottom

However the video does not look to be interlaced during playback in DGIndex, nor when I load the .avs (created by GKnot, without any deinterlacing filters turned on, of course) in VDub. So I guessed it’s actually progressive video just marked ‘interlaced’.

BUT if I stop the playback in DGIndex (pressing ESC) the still frame IS always interlaced.
Is this just a display error from DGIndex or could there be a deinterlacing filter I missed?

Thanks allot,
Marc.
MarcN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2005, 13:15   #2  |  Link
The Geek

What DVD was it ? Was it a video DVD with movie content ?

Movies are progressive, however, they can be (and maybe are) encoded interlaced. Since both fields belong to the same frame, you can weave the fields and get a perfect frame, rather than with 'true' interlaced footage, where the fields are shot at different times.

So, if it's a movie DVD, it's interlaced even though it doesn't have the comb effect.

The Geek
The Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2005, 13:40   #3  |  Link
MarcN

Oops, forgot to mention that.

Yes, it’s a movie. No apparent combing during Vdub- and DGIndex-playback, only after stopping DGIndex. Skipping through the movie with the left/right keys in DGIndex also shows no combing.

Marc
Old 1st March 2005, 14:09   #4  |  Link
The Geek

Then DGIndex displays the wrong fields when stopping. Both fields from the same frame result in a perfect frame, no combing.

The Geek
The Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2005, 14:20   #5  |  Link

Your clip is field structure. Hitting ESC does an immediate thread kill on the decode thread. I suppose that could happen between two fields of a frame, giving the result you describe. I'll add it to the work list.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2005, 16:06   #6  |  Link
MarcN

Thanks for the clarification!

Do I have to treat field structured video differently than frame structured one? I’m asking especially about the colour conversion from YV12 to YUY2. Another movie DVD (PAL) I ripped also looked progressive and was marked ‘interlaced’ but the frame structure was ‘Frame’. There I added the line

ConvertToYUY2 (interlaced=true)

to the .avs.

Was that correct and should I do the same with frame struct = ‘Field’?

Thanks
Marc
Old 1st March 2005, 16:35   #7  |  Link
scharfis_brain
brainless

do never rely on a programs output regarding interlacing.
use your eyes.

so: if there are combs visible -> interlaced / combed -> treat source interlaced
if no combs visible -> progressive -> treat source
as progressive (ignore what the program tells you!)

Don't PM me for technical support, please.
scharfis_brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2005, 16:53   #8  |  Link

Pure progressive material can be, and often is, encoded as interlaced. The key is the setting of the progressive_frame flag. When it is set to interlaced, you need to upsample to YUY2 as interlaced. The latest DGDcode has a mode which allows it to automatically upsample correctly per frame by following the progressive_frame flag. You set upConv=true.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2005, 17:20   #9  |  Link
MarcN

Thanks again!

I will let DGDcode do the colour conversion from now on.
One thing less to worry about

Marc
Old 7th March 2005, 16:29   #10  |  Link
Spyn

dgindex display interlaced for most of my PAL dvd cause only the begin credits are interlaced but the movie is not interlaced at all.
Spyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2005, 19:08   #11  |  Link
scharfis_brain
brainless

Quote:
Originally posted by neuron2
Pure progressive material can be, and often is, encoded as interlaced. The key is the setting of the progressive_frame flag. When it is set to interlaced, you need to upsample to YUY2 as interlaced. The latest DGDcode has a mode which allows it to automatically upsample correctly per frame by following the progressive_frame flag. You set upConv=true.
No!
Even interlaced subsampled YV12 with progressive Frame contents should be treaten as progressive YV12.

That was one of the reasons for me to do the motion adaptive YV12 <-> YUY2 sampling.

Don't PM me for technical support, please.
scharfis_brain is offline   Reply With Quote