Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 27th August 2010, 10:22   #81  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariush View Post
... and, the moment your website has any kind of ad, it's no longer free and you have to pay (if the video is longer than 12 minutes i guess)
The articles I've read speak about websites that are free for end users, so ads wouldn't require you to pay royalties as long as the user doesn't have to pay.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 15:45   #82  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

in megui rev 1704: http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...postcount=1398
it should be enough but im not a lawyer...
please note the official megui package you download from SF, includes NO patented softwares.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 15:54   #83  |  Link

If they say yes and you serve them the binaries from a US server, aren't you in need of licensing? I don't see how a "choice screen" changes anything.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 16:04   #84  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

we should move the update server too
Old 30th August 2010, 21:53   #85  |  Link
mariush

I guess it's plausible deniability ... it's sort of the users' responsibility to abide the law. They could use a US server as proxy (forced by the company the person works in for example) but the binaries would end up to him in a country where there are no patents/ not illegal.
mariush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2010, 21:55   #86  |  Link

I think you guess wrong; that's totally implausible. All MPEGLA would have to do is download updates from the US server and it would be all over.
Old 31st August 2010, 00:38   #87  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

this is getting ridicolous... here's a list of softwares used by megui that cant be distributed in US, Japan and part of EU: http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...postcount=1400
Old 31st August 2010, 00:47   #88  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

it is also not clear to me if license of use of a particular tech is per software or per user. can someone enlight me?
lets say i have a licensed mp3 encoder, should i also pay the license for a second different mp3 encoder? i mean, not the software license but the mp3 technology license.
Old 31st August 2010, 08:03   #89  |  Link
Disabled

I can't speak for MP3, but with h264 the license is per software unit and not per user. If I buy two decoders, I have to pay two h264 licenses.
I still assume, its the same with every other license you have to buy, because how should the software distributor know if you already have a different software with a license for the format?
Disabled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2010, 12:50   #90  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disabled View Post
I can't speak for MP3, but with h264 the license is per software unit and not per user. If I buy two decoders, I have to pay two h264 licenses.
That is wrong. There is no license for the end user. The supplier is licensed and pays the royalty. MPEGLA *does not* execute a license with end users.
Old 31st August 2010, 13:18   #91  |  Link
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
That is wrong. There is no license for the end user. The supplier is licensed and pays the royalty. MPEGLA *does not* execute a license with end users.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disabled View Post
but with h264 the license is per software unit and not per user.
Ok, perhaps it was a bit unclear, but if you buy two products, both suppliers have to pay the license fee (or fall under the 100k limit). So indirectly you still pay two licenses.
Disabled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 15:50   #92  |  Link

I clarified in my first post in this thread:

Quote:
*** EDIT: As seen below, the FFMPEG project is *not* in violation, to the extent that they do not supply binaries, because source code is not a "product". I am sorry for my incorrect statement about this (which originated from a not fully clear phone conversation with MPEGLA), and for any confusion/bad feelings it may have engendered. ***
After further consideration, since my original post, though arising from a miscommunication with MPEGLA and not any malicious intent, was the trigger for the ensuing discussion that got out of hand, I've asked Doom9 to rescind all the ensuing strikes, regardless of actual rule violations that occurred.
Old 4th September 2010, 17:18   #93  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

We do have an internal process in place that should prevent issues like this from escalating. Unfortunately, the process broke down and ultimately, I'm responsable for that breakdown. On top of that, I'm afraid to admit that the strikes appeal email address has not been actively monitored for some time so even appeals that were made using the proper channels went ignored.

Therefore, I have rescinded all strikes that ensued from this issue (and ensuing suspensions), with the exception from one personal attack on a member of the moderation team - that I cannot tolerate no matter the circumstances.

I'd like to point out though that you shouldn't count on this happening in the future - the 'he started it' excuse does not fly with me, so if you have some grievances with a moderator, you really need to follow the established process (turn to another mod or contact myself or Swede).
Old 5th September 2010, 10:34   #94  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

It is really sad to see how some people abuse good will. If you don't agree how this forum is being run, by all means, go someplace else. But you cannot dictate how this place should be run, and on top of that, you should have the decency to depart quietly and not leave a trail of destruction and unwanted advertisement for your own place.
Old 5th September 2010, 16:49   #95  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9[/quote
We do have an internal process in place that should prevent issues like this from escalating.
"Escalating" isn't the problem. This shouldn't have happened to begin with.

The problem is that moderators are allowed to use their powers to intervene in issues related to their own personal activities. This means that a moderator can use their moderator powers to promote their commercial products, as was done here. As long as this isn't stopped, this problem will occur again and again: moderators should simply not be able to use their moderator powers in their own personal disputes.

As there doesn't seem to be any hope of this problem being resolved, I am not returning to Doom9. If you want me back, you will have to fix your forum. My suggestion is to start by swapping around the forum moderators so that they no longer moderate forums in which they have a vested commercial interest. But feel free to try some other method if you think it'll be easier or work better.

If at any point you believe you have resolved this issue or have a proposal for solving it, and would like me to return, you can email me, poke me on IRC, PM me at doom10, or whatever.

P.S. I don't want to run doom10. I'd rather doom9 be fixed. Also, stop deleting my posts.

Last edited by Dark Shikari; 5th September 2010 at 16:55.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 18:11   #96  |  Link
jj666

The point is Neuron2 is a moderator and you're not and the rules are clear on what should and should not be handled on the public forum and where to use PM's. Instead of everybody starting slanging matches which soon get out of hand and are impossible to moderate, it would be easier to do like Doom9 suggested and send PM's to the appropriate people next time. I'm reading here a lot but not posting much - I don't have anything against Neuron2's moderation, he does a hell of a job just filtering out the rule #6 posts and he's always been very helpful with support issues on his products. As he's man enough to admit his mistake (see the edit in post 1), it should be easy enough to bury the hatchet.

Cheers,

-jj-
jj666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 18:57   #97  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj666 View Post
The point is Neuron2 is a moderator and you're not and the rules are clear on what should and should not be handled on the public forum and where to use PM's.
Yes, and the moderator rules specifically say that what he did was against the rules -- and that what I did wasn't.

He posted in a his own thread thread, promoting his own proprietary software, that "anyone who discusses X will be struck". That banning of the topic X had no basis in the rules. Therefore, he was doing so only to protect his own interests. From the rules:

Quote:
Conflict of interest

8) Moderators must not have a vested interest when using their moderator powers.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 19:00   #98  |  Link
MatLz
I often say "maybe"...

Is possible to stay on topic ?
MPEGLA issues ?
Thx.
MatLz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2010, 19:17   #99  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
He posted in a his own thread thread, promoting his own proprietary software, that "anyone who discusses X will be struck". That banning of the topic X had no basis in the rules.
That is incorrect. I instructed that the discussion be moved to a new thread, and this very thread is the result! I did not ban any discussion. Members are free to review the original thread to see that you misrepresent reality.

Furthermore, you are inventing direct quotes that were never made by me. I never posted "anyone who discusses X will be struck". This is a plain and simple fabrication.

Last edited by Guest; 5th September 2010 at 19:29.
Old 5th September 2010, 19:27   #100  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari
I don't want to run doom10. I'd rather doom9 be fixed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari
I am no longer at Doom9. You will find me at x264's new home, doom10.org.
I wonder sir, here you are, with conflicting statements, in the very same posting(s).

If you want to "fix Doom9" why don't you carry on a PM with Doom9, rather than continue this very ugly public feuding?
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
neuron2 qed