Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 3rd March 2011, 03:13   #5861  |  Link
mark0077

Resize and degrain? read my posts above i said when the system is under stress, not when the system "never breaks a sweat" talk about the complete opposite!! I guess your not using mvtools with 16 8 and 4 blksizes then. Try that on 1080p in real time. Why do people always come and say x works for me or it always runs fine here when other people clearly say something doesn't for them. In any case does it matter what external filter one uses. The point is madvr will drop more frames than evr when the machine is on the limit. Either we must reduce the processing done outside of madvr to compensAte or madvr reduces it's processing. It seems this isn't possible so theres nothing left to discuss. It's no piece of softwares fault just a fact.

Last edited by mark0077; 3rd March 2011 at 03:17.
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 05:05   #5862  |  Link
fairchild

I think mark is referring to a frame doubling script such as this. (turns 30fps into 60fps, 24fps into 48fps etc.) I tried it once and it definitely stresses the CPU to the limit. It definitely gives the video a unique look and it's definitely a desired taste. (it kinda gives the "soap opera" effect)

SetMtmode(2,10)
source=ffdshow_source()
source=changefps(source,source,true)
# assume progressive PAL 25 fps or NTSC Film 23.976 source
backward_vec = source.MVAnalyse(blksize=16, isb = true, chroma=false, pel=1, searchparam=1, idx=1)
# we use explicit idx for more fast processing
forward_vec = source.MVAnalyse(blksize=16, isb = false, chroma=false, pel=1, searchparam=1, idx=1)
source.MVFlowFps(backward_vec, forward_vec, num=2*FramerateNumerator(source), \
den=FramerateDenominator(source), mask=0, idx=1)
distributor()

Last edited by fairchild; 3rd March 2011 at 05:07.
fairchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 05:07   #5863  |  Link
dansrfe

Ah for 1080p post-processing...Well, that's a different story. Get a more powerful cpu or overclock I guess. I won't deny that I can't post-process with heavy filters on a 1080p stream but I think that's mainly due to the fact that I'm on a C2D vs. a oc'd quad, i7, or even hexacore.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 08:42   #5864  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
How about the garbage issue you reported before? Is that reproducable with v0.42?
I haven't managed to reproduced it yet.

Quote:
You mean Aero constantly switches on/off? How often? Just a couple of times? Or all the time until you stop MPC?
Yes, Aero switches on and off. This continues until I close MPC, also the video display turns black and doesn't change.

Quote:
In what way is this different to the "endless loop"?
The whole screen turns black for a moment and then MPC and any other windows that are open redraw themselves, this occurs over a couple of seconds.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 09:14   #5865  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastplayer View Post
I'm not sure what the mean in this context...
Anyway, I've got essentially the same CPU as you: Athlon64 X2 3800+@2.4GHz, on Socket 939.
Just that I'm skeptical, since I can't reproduce the problem on a system not all that different than yours.
Your problem appears unique to only you, since no one else in this thread appears to be have high CPU issues with madVR.

Quote:
It actually doesn't matter which combinations of decoders/splitters/media players/OSs I use, the effect is the same: madVR uses twice as much CPU as other renderers.
Here's the rest of my setup:
Win7 32-bit
HD4670, CAT 11.2
MPC-HC rev2956
Haali/LAV/MPC's internal Splitter
ffdshow rev3765/DivX AVC/MPC's internal decoder
madVR 0.42 (down-/upsampling methods seem to have next to zero impact on CPU usage)
Out of curiosity, have you installed Win7 SP1?

The following are my suggestions for troubleshooting, please do all of them:

Uninstall FFDshow and DivX decoders.
Uninstall Haali, LAV, and DivX splitters.
Uninstall madVR and delete the settings.bin
Open MPC-HC and disable ALL internal filters.
Restart your computer.

Install Haali as your only splitter.
Install FFDshow as your only decoder.
Install madVR.
Playback a MKV with MPC-HC and madVR.
Open madVR settings. Set all resizers to Bilinear, Disable Fullscreen Exclusive, and set all Windowed Mode Tweaks to Don't Flush.
Close MPC-HC
Playback a MKV with MPC-HC and madVR once again.
Does the problem still exist?

If so, download Process Explorer, run as administrator, double click on MPC-HC in Process Explorer while playing an MKV in madVR, click on the Threads tab, and take a screenshot of the Threads tab (PrtScn & paste in MS Paint) when you are seeing High CPU usage. Take a screenshot of your entire Process Explorer window during high CPU usage. Navigate the menu View -> System Information and take a screenshot of the System Information window during high CPU usage. Post all three screenshots here. Hopefully that should give some insight to the cause. I'm somewhat suspecting it's a LAV or DivX MKV splitter issue. Last week when I tried LAV splitter with madVR, they didn't get along at all. If madVR.ax is really to blame, it should show with high CPU use in the Threads tab screenshot. In which case, there may be a bug of some sort which madshi needs to fix.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 3rd March 2011 at 09:27.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 10:52   #5866  |  Link
fastplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Your problem appears unique to only you, since no one else in this thread appears to be have high CPU issues with madVR.
Probably or because no one else has ProcMon/Task Manager opened at all times...
As for your troubleshooting tips, thanks, been there done that:
- This is not a codecpack-infested machine.
- Although it's not an apple-vs-apple comparison, madVR performed in XPSP3 the same as it does now in Win7 SP1.
- Most importantly: I'm perfectly happy with madVR
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 11:08   #5867  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsolidsnake86 View Post
seven x64, ffdshow and madvr 0.42
screen is black and playback go on with audio
happen only with some flv files

i don't have flv splitter in filters
very strange
Hmmm... So you probably have the internal FLV splitter disabled in MPC-HC? What happens if you enable it, does the problem then go away?

Can anybody reproduce any problems with FLV files in Windows 7? There were 2 different people reporting problems now, so it should be credible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0077 View Post
The reasoning being with the system under stress with CPU hungry avisynth scripts. Madvr will drop more frames than evr. If its not something that can be prevented then it's something they will need to deal with by reducing avisynth script CPU usage like I did until madvr doesn't drop frames.
Ok, makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Yes, Aero switches on and off. This continues until I close MPC, also the video display turns black and doesn't change.

The whole screen turns black for a moment and then MPC and any other windows that are open redraw themselves, this occurs over a couple of seconds.
Ok, I'll see if I can reproduce that. Can anybody else?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 11:46   #5868  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Ok, I'll see if I can reproduce that. Can anybody else?
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...94#post1481794

My post linked above gives a bit more info on those two issues for anyone trying to reproduce them.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 17:02   #5869  |  Link
djsolidsnake86

tried also with flv splitter, same problem
djsolidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 20:03   #5870  |  Link
dansrfe

Interestingly enough I can reproduce problems with the internal flv splitter, ffdshow and madVR. This is almost for all FLV files I have now. I thought it was a corrupt file or something but it doesn't happen with EVR-CP.
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 20:56   #5871  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Probably or because no one else has ProcMon/Task Manager opened at all times...
As for your troubleshooting tips, thanks, been there done that:
- This is not a codecpack-infested machine.
- Although it's not an apple-vs-apple comparison, madVR performed in XPSP3 the same as it does now in Win7 SP1.
- Most importantly: I'm perfectly happy with madVR
It has nothing to do with a codecpack-infested machine. It has to do with reducing the test case variables. Since madVR doesn't use +20% CPU on a X2 4800+, it shouldn't be any different on a X2 3800+. Even if madVR.ax has low CPU use, something else on your PC must have high CPU when using madVR. Decoder? Splitter? GPU driver? Windows Kernel? Hardware Interrupts? DPC? Anti-Virus? Some other random driver? There are numerous possibilities, and taking the Process Explorer screenshots I described should clearly identify what is eating the extra CPU cycles. Yet you seem to be happy with abnormally high CPU usage, and have no desire to find the cause, so I'll just drop it.
Old 3rd March 2011, 21:20   #5872  |  Link
mark0077

madshi, I know you looked into this before, but am unsure if you checked it recently. When starting a movie with madVR, I usually get between 4 and 20~ frame drops, randomly falling somewhere in between these. If the very start of the movie, ie the first second, actually contains some content, obviously we will see a noticible judder effect.

Is this something madVR can control, ie can it wait internally for a period of time for whatever causes the frame drops (buffers filling maybe?) to be completed before beginning the rendering process.. Obviously this would be very low priority but just aiming for perfection it would be great to start a clip and see 0 frame drops in the first second or two.
Old 3rd March 2011, 21:38   #5873  |  Link
Luv

cyberbeing,can you test these:

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...71&postcount=3

beyonce.at.the.bbc.1080mbaff.sample.ts 1080 "i" (50mb)
BBC.HD.Robin.Hood.S01E03.H.264.1080MBAFF.AC3.5.1-BBC.sample.ts 1080 "p" (100mb)

I have a x2 4200+ and they use 7% cpu with DXVA (WMR9)

beyonce.at.the.bbc.1080mbaff.sample.ts 1080 "i"
ZP+Coreavc2.0+madVR 0.36: ~56% cpu with deinterlacing

BBC.HD.Robin.Hood.S01E03.H.264.1080MBAFF.AC3.5.1-BBC.sample.ts 1080 "p"
~64% cpu

Last edited by Luv; 3rd March 2011 at 21:45.
Luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 23:35   #5874  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

I don't have a GPU which supports H264 hardware decoding.

beyonce.at.the.bbc.1080mbaff.sample.ts
MPC-HC + FFDshow (ffmpeg-mt + cubic interpolation deinterlacing) + Haali + madVR 0.42: ~58% CPU
MPC-HC + FFDshow (ffmpeg-mt + cubic interpolation deinterlacing) + Haali + VMR9: ~56% CPU

BBC.HD.Robin.Hood.S01E03.H.264.1080MBAFF.AC3.5.1-BBC.sample.ts
MPC-HC + FFDshow (ffmpeg-mt) + Haali + madVR 0.42: ~54% CPU
MPC-HC + FFDshow (ffmpeg-mt) + Haali + VMR9: ~52% CPU

Edit: Luv, since you read my post but didn't respond, what exactly were you curious about? Just interested in how my CPU/setup compared to yours?

Last edited by cyberbeing; 4th March 2011 at 01:21.
Old 4th March 2011, 12:22   #5875  |  Link
bjd

Don't know if anyone can point me in the right direction, but I have very frustrating issue with an XP where I start to experience serious delayed frames with MadVR after about 40 minutes of playback no matter what the source material is.

For the 40 minutes or so playback is superb, a maybe 1 or 2 dropped/delayed frames at the start of playback and that's it, but after the system has been running a while, frames start to get delayed at an alarming rate (5 a second).

A reboot always sorts it out. I have checked the GPU/CPU/Memory use with various tools and they all seem minimal, but it is like a driver somewhere on the PC goes skew whiff after a while.

The PC is XP SP3, Athlon x64 Dual 5000+, 2gb RAM, 2gb Geforce 430, multiple hard disks running on an NForce 630/7025 based motherboard. Playback is always on Mpc-Hc.

I am going to do some more investigating this weekend, but any pointers as to what in general causes the delayed frames might give me a headstart.
bjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 12:58   #5876  |  Link
mark0077

Bjd are you usIng reclock? I had issues before when using it when it didn't and still doesn't detect my monitors refresh correctly and started changing the media playback speed in weird ways. Just something to check.
Old 4th March 2011, 13:22   #5877  |  Link
bjd

I do use ReClock in bit exact mode by slaving reference clock to audio, but i still get the issue of delayed frames if I fall back to the the XP default direct sound, so I have discounted ReClock as the culprit.
bjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 13:28   #5878  |  Link
Luv

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
I don't have a GPU which supports H264 hardware decoding.

beyonce.at.the.bbc.1080mbaff.sample.ts
MPC-HC + FFDshow (ffmpeg-mt + cubic interpolation deinterlacing) + Haali + madVR 0.42: ~58% CPU
MPC-HC + FFDshow (ffmpeg-mt + cubic interpolation deinterlacing) + Haali + VMR9: ~56% CPU

BBC.HD.Robin.Hood.S01E03.H.264.1080MBAFF.AC3.5.1-BBC.sample.ts
MPC-HC + FFDshow (ffmpeg-mt) + Haali + madVR 0.42: ~54% CPU
MPC-HC + FFDshow (ffmpeg-mt) + Haali + VMR9: ~52% CPU

Edit: Luv, since you read my post but didn't respond, what exactly were you curious about? Just interested in how my CPU/setup compared to yours?
Thanks for you swiftness,cyberbeing !
Yeah,I just wanted to make sure nothing was borked on my rig.Since your cpu is about 9% more powerful than mine,your numbers make sense (At least for .264 1080p but for .264 1080i,ouch ! Seems that Coreavc outperforms very noticeably your actuel decoder.)
Still,I don't understand how you managed to evaluate the madVR cpu usage.You were speaking about a 3% but I might have completely misunderstood your post...
Luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 18:14   #5879  |  Link
pankov

now that I have access to my forum account and I can post I'm glad to report that all GUI draw issues with ZoomPlayer are fixed with v0.42

now if only I can find what's causing the access violation when going to the next file I'll be one more step closer to the home theater nirvana
pankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 18:27   #5880  |  Link
soulkeeper

I've recently installed madvr after reading for it's excellent pq (congratulations @madshi)!!
I updated today to 0.42,using mpc-hc and ffdshowand i'm going to do some tests...the resizing is done to 1280*720 in ffdshow because i use an avisynth script to interpolate 23.976->59.94....
Are there any benefits of using exclusive modein madvr?does it "bypasses" any "dirty" processes that may occur in the os during the playback?
i realize that aero is disabled when in fullscreen exclusive mode but there is an option to leave it enabled when we are not in exclusive...

Till now i used evr cp,D3d fullscreen mode and full floating point processing enabled in mpc-hc options with aero enabled...so i'd prefer to start my tests with aero enabled..

Can i do that when in exclusive mode?

Thanks!
soulkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling