Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 14th October 2007, 17:12   #1  |  Link
a1677c

Is AVCHD 720p possible?

Would it be possible for anyone to make a request for 720p in Nero Vision for AVCHD rendering? Right now it does 1440 x 1080 only. I did download and take a look at the latest Nero 8 but it still is the same of 1440 x 1080 only. If anyone knows of another program that allows for 720p in AVCHD let me know. I have also checked out Ulead and Vegas both don't allow for 720p either with AVCHD unless they have recently changed.

Thanks,
Will
a1677c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2007, 17:30   #2  |  Link
Bigmango

Ulead have just released their HD plugin for Moviefactory. It does SD & HD resolutions on AVCHD (as well as blu-ray & hddvd) authoring.

http://www.ulead.com/dmf/plugin.htm

They have also announced that they will release the same plugin for videostudio.

As for nero, on nero.com they have a support page for feedback, so you can send your request there.
Bigmango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2007, 19:00   #3  |  Link
a1677c

I have already tried emailing Nero and never got a response in fact I wrote to them back in March. According to others Nero does not reply to them either. Additionally I tried to write to John V on this forum but his mailbox is full. The link you gave for Ulead specifically states it does HD in 1440x1080 to 1920x1080 so it doesn’t do 720p.

Last edited by a1677c; 14th October 2007 at 19:15.
Old 18th October 2007, 01:53   #4  |  Link
Toti

Hey guys, a simple google search revealed the specs on AVCHD's website.

http://www.avchd-info.org/format/index.html

it not only tells you the resolution it supports but the bitrate and audio support.

by the way, it supports 480i, 720p, 1080i & 1080p.
Old 18th October 2007, 02:00   #5  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

nice one! it lacks the video encoder profile and level info though...
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 13:47   #6  |  Link
a1677c

I realize AVCHD supports 720p but there seems to be no software for 720p. Since I have done several AVC MP4 @ 720p I can tell you the quality is excellent from HD source material. I would like to take advantage of AVCHD because it will work in any blu-ray player & mp4 avc will not, also one can incorporate menus with AVCHD.

Last edited by a1677c; 18th October 2007 at 13:52.
Old 19th October 2007, 03:33   #7  |  Link
Toti

I haven't heard of AVCHD supporting menus but if you point me in the right direction I'll appreciated.

I have been encoding my AVCHDs with MainConcept 2.1. Quality is excellent, speed is fast for AVC but there is a but (like all MainConcept/Elecard I have used).

The video gets shorter than what it is making the audio slowly out of sync. However, it is barely noticeable but you will notice if the video is longer than 1.5 hours.

I am now encoding with CineVision as Bluray/HDDVD and it works great the cool thing is that when it finishes it produces two encodes one for bluray and the other for HD-DVD.
Old 19th October 2007, 09:09   #8  |  Link
akupenguin
x264 developer

What do you mean "no software"? AVCHD is AVC. If you can encode AVC at 720p, then you have encoded AVCHD at 720p.
akupenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2007, 16:00   #9  |  Link
Toti

Quote:
Originally Posted by akupenguin View Post
What do you mean "no software"? AVCHD is AVC. If you can encode AVC at 720p, then you have encoded AVCHD at 720p.
not really, you can't just encode AVC with any encoder and expect to play on any AVC-HD compatible player. I have encoded some AVC video that won't play on my BDP-S1, this includes AVC stream from MainConcept Reference.
Old 19th October 2007, 16:18   #10  |  Link
Bigmango

Quote:
Originally Posted by akupenguin View Post
The problem is the AVCHD authoring.

All the availalbe applications will only do AVCHD with 1440x1080 and 1920x1080 (and the new ulead plugin can now also author it with SD resolutions). If you feed them another source they will re-encode it into 1080.

But there is no app that authors 720p AVCHD, although it is in the specs. There are apps like Encore CS3 or scenarist that will author 720p blu-rays, but they don't do AVCHD.

Also, the only opensource app to author AVCHD, tsremux, is still not stable enough to do it properly (it works, but it's a pain going through trial and error). With tsremux you can take a muxed avc (self made or from an Encore Cs3 blu-ray structure for instance) and it will author the AVCHD structure. It sometimes works, but it's not reliable (you need the right avc stream, the right audio, the right muxing tool because it doesn't work with all of the muxed ts/m2ts sources, then you also need the wind to blow at the right speed and the sun to shine at the right angle, well ... you get the idea... ).

Last edited by Bigmango; 19th October 2007 at 16:24.
Old 19th October 2007, 20:47   #11  |  Link
a1677c

In Nero one can make menus for AVCHD & I am assuming in the Ulead software as well. Unfortunately neither allow for 720p. While mp4 AVC for the most part is the same as AVCHD it will not play in most blu-ray players with the exception of players like the PS3. If there would be someway to trick the blu-ray player to play my mp4 AVC encodes on dvd-9 as a AVCHD that would be great; but I don’t know how to do that. It looks like from these posts there is no software that allows for 720p AVCHD rendering even though it is in the specs.
Old 21st October 2007, 04:21   #12  |  Link
Bigmango

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1677c View Post
I have already tried emailing Nero and never got a response in fact I wrote to them back in March. According to others Nero does not reply to them either.
This is the reply I have received from nero regarding my avchd 720p request a few days ago:

Quote:
thank you for your e-mail.

I have sent a feature request to our development team. Maybe this will be possible with one of our next updates.

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best Regards,

Sven Bolz
Nero Support
I guess if more people write to them (on their support web page) we will get more attention and a better chance to get 720p AVCHD.
Old 22nd October 2007, 07:26   #13  |  Link
a1677c

Mango do you have the direct link to where you wrote to Nero? I want to write to them again requesting this feature.

Thanks,
Will
Old 22nd October 2007, 09:36   #14  |  Link
Bigmango

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1677c View Post
Mango do you have the direct link to where you wrote to Nero? I want to write to them again requesting this feature.
http://www.nero.com/eng/support-form.html
Old 30th October 2007, 06:18   #15  |  Link
a1677c

This is the response they gave me which is the same response as before. Nero simply doesn't answer emails.

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your e-mail. This is an automatic message to verify that
your e-mail has arrived and that it is currently waiting to be
processed.

To reduce your waiting period you have the option of finding the
solution to many common problems on our website:

http://support.nero.com

Thank you.
Your Nero Support Team!

NERO - BECAUSE TECHNOLOGY COUNTS
Nero AG
Im Stoeckmaedle 13-15