Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 21st May 2006, 21:11   #401  |  Link
loosenut

Cool.
Only thing I'd like to see added is a way to unpack multiple files in one go.
loosenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 12:52   #402  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

There is a frontend für universal-gui and also a gui-version of this. use the search, i don´t have the links right here for I am not at home right now, sorry.
ReinerSchweinlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 19:10   #403  |  Link
DrNein

Thanks for the java version (not keen on .net).

I have a 1.82:1 (640x352) video which should be 2.35:1 to display correctly. However, when the DAR is changed to 2.35:1, the playback stretches horizontally to match the height rather than shrinking the vertical and thus loses quality by blowing up the image.

To correct, the player must be zoomed in to 0.77 x 0.77. Of course this makes the modification useless since the display could have been corrected in the first place by zooming to 1.00 x 0.77 but the object is to avoid having to do so.

Video is DivX4, decoder is libavcodec via fddshow and players MPC and VLC. I tried another incorrect AR video with the same result. I tried MPC with the DivX decoder and it did not use the DAR. Where am I going wrong?
DrNein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2006, 16:31   #404  |  Link
idbirch2

This app is exactly what I was looking for but it says it doesn't support OpenDML files. Googling this tells me this is AVIs that are over 2GB in size. I have a huge AVI file, about 8GB, and it contains both an AC3 and DTS soundtrack. I don't have any DTS kit so want to strip the DTS out. Does anybody know what program I could use to do this?

Thanks.

edit: I found the answer, it was VirtualDub Mod, this allowed me to disable the DTS track and then save as a new AVI.

Last edited by idbirch2; 28th May 2006 at 17:36.
idbirch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2006, 19:29   #405  |  Link
DrNein

I find it hard to believe this is how DAR is supposed to work and/or that no one else has noticed?
Old 30th May 2006, 19:32   #406  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNein
Video is DivX4, decoder is libavcodec via fddshow and players MPC and VLC. I tried another incorrect AR video with the same result. I tried MPC with the DivX decoder and it did not use the DAR. Where am I going wrong?
As far as I'm aware... it's not possible to add/change "aspect ratio signalling" to DivX 4 MPEG-4 streams!

EDIT: I did some tests yesterday and it would seem it is possible to add/change "aspect ratio signalling" to DivX 4 MPEG-4 streams!

That said, I'm not sure whether DivX's own DSdec supports AR signalling detection, in the same way FFdshow and XviD's DSdecs do!

Cheers

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 31st May 2006 at 09:48.
SeeMoreDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2006, 05:10   #407  |  Link
InsulinJunkie

Quote:

I have a 1.82:1 (640x352) video which should be 2.35:1 to display correctly. However, when the DAR is changed to 2.35:1, the playback stretches horizontally to match the height rather than shrinking the vertical and thus loses quality by blowing up the image.
That would seem to me to be the expected behavior.

If you set the video to have a 2.35:1 or 16:9 ratio, you're indicating that the file is horizontally squished and needs to be 'stretched out'...
InsulinJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2006, 06:07   #408  |  Link
DrNein

DivX 4 & 5 both behave the same when the DAR is set.

A 640x352 video with the DAR set to 2.35 is then displayed as if it is 828x352 but of course the resolution isn't there. It seems to me it should be displayed as if it is 640x272 to maintain the quality (or even enhance as original was anamorphic)? I certainly know the horizontal resolution is not 828, but rather 640 as the file properties show so only the vertical can be wrong.
Old 31st May 2006, 06:34   #409  |  Link
InsulinJunkie

Quote:
A 640x352 video with the DAR set to 2.35 is then displayed as if it is 828x352 but of course the resolution isn't there.
To use the example of a DVD:

A 2.35:1 anamorphic NTSC 720x480 DVD actually would be encoded with approx. 360 lines of vertical resolution (the rest would be black bars to fit the 1.78 widescreen TV, with the 16x9 flag set).

On playback on a 16x9 TV, it then gets stretched out horizontally to fill the screen if the 16x9 flag is set. That's the type of usage the AR flags are intended for, generally. You squish the picture to max out the available resolution on the DVD, and you need a way to get it back to its normal AR.

(By comparison, that same 2.35:1 movie, but letterboxed and NOT anamorphic, would be encoded for DVD with approx. 272 lines of vertical resolution, with the rest needed for black bars - since a non-anamorphic movie would have the 4x3 flag set and need to be 'scrunched' rather than 'stretched')

Last edited by InsulinJunkie; 31st May 2006 at 06:47.
InsulinJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2006, 11:00   #410  |  Link
karellen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thubb
Hi,

i ported this excellent program to java. ....
Nice work!

I can confirm it works on Intel Macs.
I can finally get rid of my old Powerbook now - no more wating for a Universal version of mono that will run the command line version.
karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2006, 13:56   #411  |  Link
eXistenZ_69

@Moitah

Hi Moitah,

is MPEG4Modifier compatible with .NET v2.0? Your site only mentions v1.1 and I would hate to see that installing the new .NET version on my pc makes your program become unusable or behave abnormally...

Greetz,

eXistenZ_69

Last edited by eXistenZ_69; 4th July 2006 at 13:59.
eXistenZ_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2006, 14:06   #412  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

I have just .NET version 2 installed... works fine here
Old 5th July 2006, 02:30   #413  |  Link
Moitah

@eXistenZ_69: Both v1.1 and v2.0 of the .NET Framework can be installed at the same time. This is how it is on my computer and it works fine. If you were to only have v2.0 installed, it should still work, but some people have told me that it doesn't (it worked for me when I tried it on another computer in my house).
Old 31st July 2006, 01:50   #414  |  Link
Moitah

Good news. I have OpenDML support working in MPEG4 Modifier. This involved completely rewriting the AVI handling code. It's also able to read incomplete AVIs and even rebuild the index including keyframe flags. I'm not quite ready to release it yet, but soon. It will require the .NET Framework 2.0 (instead of 1.1 like the current version).
Old 31st July 2006, 07:32   #415  |  Link
ReinerSchweinlin

good news, indeed!!
ReinerSchweinlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2006, 17:11   #416  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

That's amazingly good news

Not wanting to sound ungrateful... but at sometime in the future will there any possibility of including MP4 container support too?

Cheers
Old 31st July 2006, 17:24   #417  |  Link
Moitah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital
at sometime in the future will there any possibility of including MP4 container support too?
Probably not.
Old 31st July 2006, 20:13   #418  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moitah
Probably not.
I hope you understand.... I had to ask though
Old 3rd August 2006, 10:44   #419  |  Link
cjaar

Sometime back i saw a post explaining with pictures like how to set the correct AR using mpegmodifier, explaning with the help of gspot and a video cap also... now am not finding it here...

can any1 find that post ?

Nevermid: got it
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...6%3A9+to+4%3A3

thanks
cjaar

Last edited by cjaar; 4th August 2006 at 07:12.
cjaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2006, 05:28   #420  |  Link
Moitah

1.4.0 released, see my site or the first post of this thread. Needs .NET Framework 2.0 instead of 1.1 like the older versions, if you don't have it get it here: x86 or x64.

EDIT: The feature to add packed bitstream hasn't been tested much, use it with care. The checkbox is enabled even if the video doesn't have B-VOPs, I think I'll release another version sometime to fix that.

Last edited by Moitah; 4th August 2006 at 19:19.
Moitah is offline   Reply With Quote