Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 31st March 2004, 10:18   #1  |  Link
bond

HowTo create Variable Framerate MPEG-4 video streams in MP4

as most of you might propably already know its possible to create variable framerate video streams with mpeg-4 video
the fact why it is often not used is probably caused by the crappy avi container, which (apart from many other issues) is not able to store real variable framerate streams
now with the upcoming of far more advanced containers (like matroska and mp4) able to handle vfr, i think we should explore the possibilites of vfr far more (and i hope i can encourage some people to help me with my currently ongoing testings):

as avi and vfw (used by xvid and divx5 in vdm) doesnt seem to be able to handle vfr at all there are two possibilities to create vfr mpeg-4 video streams
1) use a directshow encoder, like the one from 3ivx (suxendrol is already working on a xvid dshow enc filter) and dont even think about touching crappy outdated avi and vfw
2) use vfw encoders, with avi workarounds, and do some smart avi->mp4 conversions:

the xvid encoder already offers the so called "frame drop ratio":
with a setting of 0 only frames get dropped which are 100% the same as the frame before, with 100 all frames are dropped
this option's name and description might be a little misleading as the frames arent really totally dropped (leading to vfr or less frames in the output), also a value of 50 doesnt mean that every second frame is affected -> frames get simply not coded, which means so called n-vops are placed in the stream
this value specifies a threshold under which, if the difference of the following frame to the previous frame is below or equal to this threshold, a frame gets not coded (see it could even be that you set a value of 50, but still no frame gets not coded)
on the decoder side, everytime when the decoder comes to such a n-vop, it displays the frame before the n-vop again, therefore its some sort of "fake vfr stream"

now with the 3ivx or MP4Box MP4 muxers these n-vops can be really dropped and real vfr mpeg-4 streams get created inside the mp4 container

small howto
1) open your to-encode source in virtualdubmod
2) go to the xvid codec settings and choose the settings as you wish and set the frame drop ratio you want to use (on my testssample it seemed that i didnt get a dropped frame with a value of 15, with 90 there were (of course) far too much dropped frames) also it seems that the frame drop ratio seems to work better when packed bitstream (b-frames) is disabled

now you can decide whether you want to use the commandline MP4Box or the 3ivx directshow muxer to create a VFR MP4 file:

MP4Box:
3) download mp4box from rarewares
4) run the following commandline:
Code:
MP4Box -import myavi.avi mymp4.mp4
3ivx:
3) install 3ivx
4) open the resulting avi in graphedit
5) remove all filters, except the source and the avi splitter, load the 3ivx mp4 muxer and the file writer (*.mp4) and connect the 3ivx muxer between avi splitter and file writer
6) enable the "compress n-vops" option in the 3ivx muxer and push play

you should now be able to enjoy and play the created variable frame rate mp4 file with every mpeg-4 decoder (xvid, divx5, ffdshow, 3ivx etc...) in any dshow based player without loosing sync with the audio aso...

edit:
note that during my testings i found that the frame drop ratio was broken in the current release candidates (koepis rc3). syskin now fixed some bugs but it seems that there are still "unfixable" problems when using it with b-frames
therefore the frame drop option in xvid will only work without b-frames from now on

edit2: added gpac's mp4box, as it offers exactly the same features as 3ivx now too

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free

Last edited by bond; 9th May 2004 at 08:59.
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2004, 10:16   #2  |  Link
bond

ok some test results on how/if mpeg-4 codecs will create not coded frames (n-vops) when two frames are the same/similar:

1) xvid (tested rc4, till rc3 no n-vops were created with the default settings (framedrop ratio on 0)!!)
- when b-frames are disabled xvid will create n-vops even if the framedrop ratio is set to 0 (which means it only drops frames that are 100% the same) a higher value will lead to that even frames which are not 100% the same can be dropped
- with b-frames enabled it doesnt output n-vops
2) 3ivx (4.5.1) outputs n-vops
3) nero digital (first version), with and without b-frames, outputs n-vops
4) divx5 (5.1.1) doesnt output n-vops
5) ffvfw (20031117) doesnt output n-vops with the default settings (i didnt find an option which could enable n-vops creation)

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis

Last edited by bond; 7th April 2004 at 10:43.
Old 7th April 2004, 11:10   #3  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Sounds interesting.

Have you any short examples you can provide a link to? I guess 2 encodes would be needed. One with variable frame rate and one without!

Cheers
Old 7th April 2004, 11:41   #4  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally posted by SeeMoreDigital
Have you any short examples you can provide a link to? I guess 2 encodes would be needed. One with variable frame rate and one without!
nope but its really easy to do yourself
simply encode a still (anime) or black scene with 3ivx or with xvid (without b-frames) and transmux with the 3ivx muxer
you can checkout with mp4ui if the stream is vfr (for example if the framerate shown is not the same as the input one of course)

during playback you will not see a difference

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 7th April 2004, 13:31   #5  |  Link
Selur

did I get it right now:

The framdrop ratio is a threshold how much a frame from his predecessor is allowed to differ to be dropped (coded as n-vob) ?

So a ratio of e.g. 0.1-1% shouldn't do much harm in normal movie? (is it even possible to enter values like 0.1?)

Cu Selur
Selur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2004, 13:39   #6  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally posted by Selur
The framdrop ratio is a threshold how much a frame from his predecessor is allowed to differ to be dropped (coded as n-vob) ?
yep
it also depends on the chosen bitrate i think (therefore i am not sure how xvid/3ivx measures the differences between two frames)

Quote:
So a ratio of e.g. 0.1-1% shouldn't do much harm in normal movie? (is it even possible to enter values like 0.1?)
who knows. this needs more testing (i only played around with a value of 90, which was too high of course)
with a value of 15 i didnt get a frame drop with rc3 (which was buggy tough)

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 7th April 2004, 13:42   #7  |  Link
Selur

thx for the answer
okay, if I find some time I'll do a littel testing

Cu Selur
Selur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2004, 20:50   #8  |  Link
RadicalEd

The actual internal value is an int, so no 0.1s. I'm still code-diving to figure out exactly how it works :|
RadicalEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2004, 00:26   #9  |  Link
BITS
Find the words to say.

this is fine and well but without B-Frames is this even worth the bother?

Wouldnt you prefer to have all frames using B-Frames than missing frames?

in a world where everybody seems to be trying to get the smoothest playback...this almost seems like a step backwards.

im off to give it a shot...who knows, but i dont think it is for ME. (Unless you can still have B-Frames someday)
Old 9th April 2004, 00:35   #10  |  Link
BoNz1

Quote:
Originally posted by BITS
im off to give it a shot...who knows, but i dont think it is for ME. (Unless you can still have B-Frames someday)
I believe that it will work with b-frames but just that this will not be added till after 1.0. Keep in mind that when this frame dropping was added it was pretty experimental and nobody used it. So, it is probably untested and might not even give great results now but it definitely could :0. BTW doesn't cartoon mode drop frames? From what I can see in vdub status window it does, and this would explain my problems with 3ivx and mp4 because I always use bframes.
BoNz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2004, 00:44   #11  |  Link
RadicalEd

The vfw "Cartoon mode" (which I've found is not the same as what xvidcore considers Cartoon Mode) is *supposed* to create more n-blocks, and I guess therefore more n-frames, but it doesn't seem to work. The core has these two functions seperate and considers vop_cartoon exclusively as Cartoon Mode. At least, that's what the comments indicate :|

So I'd like to say that it doesn't drop frames, but I'm really not sure at this point.
RadicalEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2004, 20:44   #12  |  Link
bond

i added MP4Box to the guide as it now also handles the detection and removal of encoder dropped N-VOPS and the outputting of a VFR MP4 in the same way as the 3ivx muxer

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 29th July 2004, 19:46   #13  |  Link
bond

i now tested divx5, the latest ffdshow (using libav) and 3ivx (with b-frames and without), whether they place n-vops in the stream...

divx5 and ffdshow still dont do this, 3ivx does it even with b-frames

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 19th August 2004, 12:53   #14  |  Link
lunaticmoon
Hybrid material critic

Does the display interval of a frame differ from RV10 DropDupe?

RV10 DropDupe (I think):

+----+----+----+----+---------+
drop! and a front frame stays on

True VFR:

+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
drop! and equally spaced in the section

3ivx:
?????

I want True VFR...
Old 19th August 2004, 13:28   #15  |  Link
stephanV
gone

my 3ivx doesnt have b-frames...
stephanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2005, 18:11   #16  |  Link
DeathTheSheep
<The VFW Sheep of Death>

Yes, this was a more than a year ago and it still doesn't have B-frames.

There was a test version that had them (look at the latest Doom9 codec shootout), but I have no idea why it hasn't been released yet. Come on, 3ivX5!
Old 3rd October 2005, 18:52   #17  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Yes....... whatever happened to 3ivx?

Some of the 3ivx guys used to regularly post on Doom9 and their beta looked promising!

Cheers
Old 4th October 2005, 01:13   #18  |  Link
DeathTheSheep
<The VFW Sheep of Death>

A lot more than just promising... Doom9's codec comparison showed that its performance was equal to DivX Fusion alpha at like 5 times the speed... faster than XviD even. And if that was about a year ago, imagine the quality now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Interesting indeed, Dr. House." "Oh really? What would you know, Matilda?"
Old 4th October 2005, 01:32   #19  |  Link
movax

I've heard stuff like the "3ivx MP4 splitter" and such bandied about...maybe they shifted focus? The early 3ivx's looked very promising indeed though.
movax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2005, 01:50   #20  |  Link
DeathTheSheep
<The VFW Sheep of Death>

Yes, don't even get me started on that wonderful filter set... It used to be the standard among many MPEG4 enthusiasts for muxing and splitting content in directshow.

Almost 2 years later, the filter suite is still experiencing heavy usage, despite its lack of updates (particularly in the AVC field).

The 3ivX codec supported VFR, right? So its stands to reason that its filters support it as well. An update to them as well as the codec itself will surely be beneficial to many an-ASP enthusiast (or any user of MPEG-4 in general).