Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 13th February 2002, 01:39   #1  |  Link
anoney

Nandub settings

I've recently starting using nandub after having used FlaskMPEG for some time. My first rip was surprisingly good, and I was pleased with it.

However, I always have one small problem. Whenever the camera pans or scrolls in the movie (i.e. pans over landscape or characters), the playback becomes jerky. This is strange because during the action scenes, the quality is perfect (or what I percieve to be perfect at this point in my limited experience).

I've followed the guide on doom9.org meticulously, and as a result I tried to change a few settings but to no avail. The final result STILL jerks when the camera pans/scrolls during the movie. This is really getting to me as I haven't been able to find any help elsewhere, so this is my last resort.

Just to fill in a few details, I'm encoding Rurouni Kenshin OVA 01 (The Man of the Slashing Sword [29min 30sec long]) at a bitrate of 1670 and a target filesize of 350mb. Nearly all the other settings are similar or exactly as the guide quotes.

I'd really appreciate any help from you guys, and I'd appreciate it even more if someone who has encoded this movie before (successfully) could contact me and give me some help/share their settings.

Thanks in advance.
Old 13th February 2002, 01:52   #2  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I'm absolutely not into anime but I'm pretty sure what you're talking about is an anime.. and knowing that most animes are pretty fucked up (excuse my french) I'm just wondering if you used force film or if you are doing a true IVTC. The treshold of 95% film may appear a bit high but I prefer to play it safe.. so.. did you force film or ivtc and if the latter.. how did you do it? tmpg? ivtc plugin for avisynth? ivtc in nandub? decomb? greedyhma?
Old 13th February 2002, 02:10   #3  |  Link
anoney

The source is NTSC at 29.997 frames/sec. I used 'Force Film', then I IVTC'ed in TMPGEnc (as you said in your nandub divx3.11 guide). Then I proceeded to load the TMPGEnc project into nandub and then encoded. I'm not too worried about interlacing at the moment. I just wanna get my movie to run smoothly, but it won't (-_-).

Great site by the way, Doom9. It basically helped me (and I'm sure a lot of others) out tremendously. Thanks once again.
Old 13th February 2002, 03:50   #4  |  Link
manono

Hi-I don't think anywhere in Doom9's guides is there the suggestion to follow Forced Film with IVTC. Open your movie in Nandub, and then go File-File Information. Is the frame rate 19.xxxfps? There's your problem. Or check the .avi's properties for the frame rate.

So, make your .d2v without Forced Film, and then IVTC with TMPGEnc. You're almost there. I, as well as many others, have worked on this one before, as it's a classic. Good Luck.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2002, 13:54   #5  |  Link
anoney

Thankyou so much for your help manono, the problem is now corrected. So the problem was with my settings in DVD2AVI, and not with the nandub settings. I feel like an idiot now, should have read doom9's guide that little bit more carefully.

Anyway, I'm still getting a slight bit of jerkying during fast scrolling shots. For my first encode it's perfectly acceptable, but I'd rather nip it in the bud now. A friend tells me I should lower the min end of my Gauge setting, and increase the higher end of it. Any suggestions on how to smooth this out?

Thanks once again in advance.
Old 14th February 2002, 14:20   #6  |  Link
manono

Hi-I can think of 3 possible reasons for the remaining jerkiness.
1. It's in the original DVD. Have you played the same scenes in the DVD? I know of plenty of instances where fast motion pans and scrolls play jerky.
2. There's a chance that some 30fps Computer Generated material is mixed in with the 24fps hand drawn stuff. If that's true, then there's nothing you can do except live with it. But from your description, I don't think that's it.
3. TMPGEnc screwed up. Since I don't guess you want to go through it frame by frame to fix it, I might suggest you use Decomb in an .avs script generated by Gordian Knot. But there's another learning curve involved with GKnot.

If I had to guess which was causing the problems, it would be 1. followed by 3.

Can't help with the Guage settings, as I'm a lazy GKnot user. Perhaps someone else can.
manono is offline   Reply With Quote