Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > HDTV / DVB / TiVo
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th December 2008, 19:46   #21  |  Link
Ventolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsj View Post
Okay another question.... I am trying to edit a few movies that I have that my wife really likes, but she really hates hearing the F-word in movies.... So I am trying to use your software to edit them out. (not really interested in getting into an arguement about editing a movie to take out language, so please leave that alone to whomever is interested in arguing)

So what is the best way to do it..... Here is what I have tried to do... I try playing the movie in the preview window, and then I just hit pause right before he says it and mark that as the end, then add that to the edits. Then I play it again until it has passed that he said it, usually only is like half a second or so... and then mark that as the beginning, and then go all the way to the end of the movie and mark that as the end and then add that to the edits. So basically I have a very small portion that is maybe 15-25 frames long that is being cut out. Well, then when I edit it and go to play it, it seems it totally misses the swear word and cuts something else out within frames from where i was trying to cut. Does this have to do with the PID's? Or the I-Frames? I tried unselecting Fix tables and timecodes, and that seemed to work, but then all I got was digital snow instead of just a clean cut...??

Any Help?
Small edits are hard to deal with as what you really want is frame accurate video. TSPE can only do I frame for the start point and P frame for the end point, so you may find your edits do not line up exactly where you want them.

However, as TSPE can process at the packet level, there is a way to edit just the audio out but leave the video intact.

This isn't so easy to do however, and will take some experimentation to get to know how to do it easily. Level of difficulty for this is 5/10.

Lets take 1 swear word as an example. You will have 3 edits:

1. The start of the movie to the beginning of the swear point (section A)
2. The swear point (section B)
3. The end of the swear point to the end of the movie (section C)

To do audio editing, set the "Frame Step" mode to be audio instead of Video (bottom left hand corner). This makes the F+ and F- buttons jump to audio frames instead of video frames.

Now do the following:
Setup section A:
1. Set the start point to the start of the movie.
2.Set the end point to the start of the swear word.
3. Click Add to add this section to the EDL.

Setup section B (the swear word):
4. Set the start point to be the start of the swear word.
5. Set the end point to the be end of the swear word.
6. In the PID list, uncheck the audio stream. (This strips out the audio stream for section B)
7. Click Add to add this section to the EDL.

Setup section C (from the end of the swear word to the end of the file)
8. Set the start point to the end of the swear word.
9. Set the end point to the end of the file.
10. In the PID list, re-check the audio stream.
11. Click Add to add this section to the EDL.

To complete the edit:
12. Turn off "Clean Video" and "Clean Audio" under "Clean Edits" from the menus.
13. Click the Edit button.

This should now copy everything up to the swear word intact, then strip the audio only for the swear word itself, then copy everything after the swear word intact.

As long as you play

Last edited by Ventolin; 27th December 2008 at 23:06.
Ventolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 21:25   #22  |  Link
rebkell

I'm trying to understand the PTS stamps, I have a common problem I'm encountering with the Hauppauge HDPVR unit, it has audio dropouts and then it resets and basically just starts a new recording at that spot in the stream, unfortunately the video usually continues for a half a dozen frames or so, before it restarts. I can pretty much cut out the bad place and maintain sync, I know exactly what I want to cut out, but I can't seem to match up the timestamps(PTS) in xport(which are exact matches for what are exactly in the ts file) with the ones you show.

For example the first PTS of the ts file is always
43843, but according to TSPE the first PTS is:
00:00:00:14 (29) 487 .. how to I match these two PTS stamps up? I'm not seeing a correlation between the two, I tried changing from PCR to PTS based in the Options->Timestamp Mode, but I didn't see any difference.

Upon looking I do see how they correlate, 487 is the ms value of 43843, is there anyway I can get the raw 43843 to show in TSPE
rebkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 22:12   #23  |  Link
Ventolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
I'm trying to understand the PTS stamps, I have a common problem I'm encountering with the Hauppauge HDPVR unit, it has audio dropouts and then it resets and basically just starts a new recording at that spot in the stream, unfortunately the video usually continues for a half a dozen frames or so, before it restarts. I can pretty much cut out the bad place and maintain sync, I know exactly what I want to cut out, but I can't seem to match up the timestamps(PTS) in xport(which are exact matches for what are exactly in the ts file) with the ones you show.

For example the first PTS of the ts file is always
43843, but according to TSPE the first PTS is:
00:00:00:14 (29) 487 .. how to I match these two PTS stamps up? I'm not seeing a correlation between the two, I tried changing from PCR to PTS based in the Options->Timestamp Mode, but I didn't see any difference.

Upon looking I do see how they correlate, 487 is the ms value of 43843, is there anyway I can get the raw 43843 to show in TSPE
Hi,

TSPE shows the PTS in a number of formats:

In the decode window you have:
Code:
PID: 0x0203
Continuity Counter: 4
PTS: 13:02:29:07 (15)	46949.304s
DTS: 13:02:29:04 (09)	46949.184s
MPEG2 Timestamp: 08:54:15:09
PES Header: 
Stream ID: 224: Video Stream: 0
PTS Ticks: 4225437376
DTS Ticks: 4225426576
Here you can see the actual PTS and DTS "ticks" of the frame. To get the actual seconds this represents, divide by 90000 (90KHz)

eg: 4225437376 / 90000 = 46949.304 seconds
Converting from seconds to actual timestamp gives you the timestamp shown at the start of the packet.

I'm not sure how xport calculates it, but I think TSPE does all xport does anyway as far as I know (but I haven't used xport in a while).

Hope that helps,

Vent
Old 27th December 2008, 22:32   #24  |  Link
rebkell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventolin View Post
Hi,
PES Header:
Stream ID: 224: Video Stream: 0
PTS Ticks: 4225437376
DTS Ticks: 4225426576[/CODE]

Here you can see the actual PTS and DTS "ticks" of the frame. To get the actual seconds this represents, divide by 90000 (90KHz)

eg: 4225437376 / 90000 = 46949.304 seconds
Converting from seconds to actual timestamp gives you the timestamp shown at the start of the packet.

I'm not sure how xport calculates it, but I think TSPE does all xport does anyway as far as I know (but I haven't used xport in a while).

Hope that helps,

Vent
Got it, it's the ticks, is there anyway to make the font bigger in the PES Header view(Packet Decode Window)? It's awfully small and difficult to read.
Old 27th December 2008, 23:01   #25  |  Link
Ventolin

Quote:
Got it, it's the ticks, is there anyway to make the font bigger in the PES Header view(Packet Decode Window)? It's awfully small and difficult to read.
Funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing when I wrote that example just now!

Added to the list!

Cheers,

Vent
Old 28th December 2008, 00:08   #26  |  Link
rebkell

Quote:
Funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing when I wrote that example just now!

Added to the list!

Cheers,

Vent
Another request, you have an NPTS button, which will jump to the next PTS no matter the PID, would it be possible to add a PPTS button, that will jump to the previous PTS no matter the PID.

I was writing out an edited file, that was 29.97FPS and it kept reporting : Detected framerate 12.500 fps. The edited file seems to be fine, but just wondering where it got the 12.5 FPS number from, or am I totally misunderstanding what it means, like I said it's no biggie because the edited file was just fine.

Another question about cutting/editing. When I set an end point, if for instance I set it on the first packet of an audio frame, will that frame be included or excluded from the edit. You also said it has I-Frame and P-Frame accuracy, so if I'm trying to fine tune my cuts, would I position the end cut on a P-Frame or just prior to the P-Frame? Sorry for all the questions, but I think I can work very well with this program, but I just want to understand how the cut points function, exactly.

Edit: Ignore the end point question, I found the option to include it or not include it in the EDL file.

Last edited by rebkell; 28th December 2008 at 01:05.
Old 28th December 2008, 01:42   #27  |  Link
Ventolin

Quote:
Another request, you have an NPTS button, which will jump to the next PTS no matter the PID, would it be possible to add a PPTS button, that will jump to the previous PTS no matter the PID.
There used to a button that did that, but the usefulness of the NPTS / PPTS buttons are a bit questionable. It's trivial to add this functionality back in, but I think that will have to wait for user customisable toolbars which is for a later release.

Quote:
I was writing out an edited file, that was 29.97FPS and it kept reporting : Detected framerate 12.500 fps. The edited file seems to be fine, but just wondering where it got the 12.5 FPS number from, or am I totally misunderstanding what it means, like I said it's no biggie because the edited file was just fine.
This looks to be a bug, can you send me a small sample file please (10MB should be enough).

Quote:
Another question about cutting/editing. When I set an end point, if for instance I set it on the first packet of an audio frame, will that frame be included or excluded from the edit. You also said it has I-Frame and P-Frame accuracy, so if I'm trying to fine tune my cuts, would I position the end cut on a P-Frame or just prior to the P-Frame? Sorry for all the questions, but I think I can work very well with this program, but I just want to understand how the cut points function, exactly.
With "Clean Edits" on, the exact edit location is automatically determined so you don't have to worry. You can do a "Test Edit Point" by right click 2 selected EDL entries. This will make a short test file with the last few seconds of the first entry together with the first few seconds of the second entry so you can see how the final edit will look. From that you can fine tune the start/end points of the edit. Note that most of the video codecs themselves have trouble moving to a B frame directly so finding the exact edit point is really a bit of trail and error.

Quote:
Edit: Ignore the end point question, I found the option to include it or not include it in the EDL file.
The "Include packet at end point" option is useful for packet accurate editing with "clean edits" off. This lets you decide if you want the current packet to be included at the end point or not. Usually if you are at an I Frame you should have this off but have it on to include the very last packet of the file. This should be on if you are merging multi-part ts files in the edl for byte-perfect merging. With "clean edits" on however, this option has no effect, which is the default behaviour.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Vent
Old 28th December 2008, 02:49   #28  |  Link
rebkell

Ahh, clean edits, ok.

Also what is the significance of Auto Find Sensitivity? I lowered it and it found some discontinuities that were giving me trouble, I lowered it to 10 and it seems to find all the bad places in this file I'm working with. What do the numbers represent? The default is 30 I believe.

I'll try to upload a piece of this file for you to look at the 12.5 FPS thing, it's just one of the standard 1080i, Hauppauge recordings.
Old 28th December 2008, 03:04   #29  |  Link
Ventolin

Quote:
Ahh, clean edits, ok.

Also what is the significance of Auto Find Sensitivity? I lowered it and it found some discontinuities that were giving me trouble, I lowered it to 10 and it seems to find all the bad places in this file I'm working with. What do the numbers represent? The default is 30 I believe.

I'll try to upload a piece of this file for you to look at the 12.5 FPS thing, it's just one of the standard 1080i, Hauppauge recordings.
If you could upload the glitch part with a bit on either side, I can have a look at the glitches you are getting at the same time. +/- 10 seconds from a glitch would be great, thanks.

The Auto Find Sensitivity adjusts the depth of the search it does when you first load a file. Higher is better but slower, though in your particular file it just so happens to pick up the glitches you have.

Cheers,

Vent
Old 28th December 2008, 03:26   #30  |  Link
rebkell

Ok, I gave you bad info, I actually don't find anything with Auto Find, the one it does when it loads a new file. It was actually Scan that finds all the problems, I think I was overlooking some bad places it was putting in the Markers tab section. I just cut out the file and demuxed it and then remuxed it and the a/v sync was pretty much dead on.

I'm sorry for the bad info I was giving, but I did learn a lot and I know my problem areas pretty well and this looks like I can fix them, I'm going to have to cut out anywhere from 6 to 8 frames to maintain sync, but it's a bad place in the file anyway, so it's really no big loss considering it was a bad place anyway. The good thing is that everytime I have an audio dropout, when the unit recovers it always starts afresh with an IDR frame and the audio is exactly 100 ms ahead of the audio.

We/you really need some of this stuff documented, I know it's a pain, but it's hard to determine some of this stuff even with trial and error, I probably would have never figured out the clean edits thing, since it seems to basically override other things.
Old 28th December 2008, 18:32   #31  |  Link
rebkell

One more feature request, when you display the Frame type in the bottom right status bar, it would be convenient if you signified if the I Slice was an IDR frame.

Another thing I've noticed, it may be by design, is that when you are navigating on the track bar and you click to the right or left of the slider, it sometimes jumps two minutes and if held down it will jump numerous times, which is all well and good, but it doesn't display any of the frames when it jumps, only the last one when it stops.

All in all, this program is really nice, it has a lot of controls and it's just a matter of learning how to use them for my needs.
Old 29th December 2008, 18:45   #32  |  Link
Ventolin

Quote:
One more feature request, when you display the Frame type in the bottom right status bar, it would be convenient if you signified if the I Slice was an IDR frame.

Another thing I've noticed, it may be by design, is that when you are navigating on the track bar and you click to the right or left of the slider, it sometimes jumps two minutes and if held down it will jump numerous times, which is all well and good, but it doesn't display any of the frames when it jumps, only the last one when it stops.

All in all, this program is really nice, it has a lot of controls and it's just a matter of learning how to use them for my needs.
Hi,
Glad to hear you are able to get your glitches sorted! I got your sample file thanks, will look into the framerate bug.

IDR frame now identified in the bottom right status corner as requested, also IF+/- jumps to IDR frames if they are present in the stream. Need to do some more testing with that though.

Documentation is important, I know, trouble is the program is in quite a state of flux at the moment, so some of the options are changing and a whole lot of others are being added. Alot of the options are there so you can turn them off if something goes wrong though, normally the option defaults are the ones you should always use. I do feel though that you shouldn't really have to RTFM if you want to know how to do something, the program should tell you or it should be obvious, so that's where I would like to head towards.

Trackbar behaviour is by design, requests are actually made for frames, but the video decoders just can't handle that level of "scrubbing" - it takes alot to decode the video let alone deal with hundreds of requests in a split second.

To aid navigation, quite a few keyboard shortcuts and mouse controls have been added. Enough to please both keyboard and mouse jockeys alike!

That with Directshow filter control will be in the next release due shortly.

Regards,

Vent
Old 29th December 2008, 19:46   #33  |  Link
rebkell

Are there any keyboard shortcuts for navigating the preview window? The trackbar control may be by design, but it jumps 2 minutes and sometimes 3 minutes, no matter how fast I click and release the mouse button. It can actually jump over an entire commercial with this behavior.

Keep up the good work, is there a new version available, you said the IDR shows up in the window, is a new beta version available for download?
Old 29th December 2008, 23:29   #34  |  Link
DreckSoft

Quote:
PAT and PMT really are essential to a Transport stream. If a capture program strips them out of a stream, then the capture program is at fault. TSPE would then need to repair the stream to fix the poor design of the capture program. What real life streams have you come across without PAT and PMTs? If a specific capture program is stripping out the PAT and PMT perhaps the authors could fix their software?
Offline Descrambler produces strange output. Till now I haven't found a program which can handle the output. The output of OD seems to be ok for the few pre-defined CAIDs but decrypting for example ORF1HD with Cryptoworks (0x0D05) creates a completely unusable file.

So a "fix my stream" would be a nice function.
DreckSoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 18:58   #35  |  Link
Ventolin

Quote:
Are there any keyboard shortcuts for navigating the preview window? The trackbar control may be by design, but it jumps 2 minutes and sometimes 3 minutes, no matter how fast I click and release the mouse button. It can actually jump over an entire commercial with this behavior.

Keep up the good work, is there a new version available, you said the IDR shows up in the window, is a new beta version available for download?
Hi, thanks, I'm looking into the trackbar sensitivity. Almost all the keyboard and mouse shortcuts are for navigation.

New public version isn't available yet, though fully paid users may have a chance to test before the next public beta is released.

Regards,

Vent
Old 30th December 2008, 19:08   #36  |  Link
Ventolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreckSoft View Post
Offline Descrambler produces strange output. Till now I haven't found a program which can handle the output. The output of OD seems to be ok for the few pre-defined CAIDs but decrypting for example ORF1HD with Cryptoworks (0x0D05) creates a completely unusable file.

So a "fix my stream" would be a nice function.
Hi,

If the output is still scrambled, there isn't anything TSPE will do to descramble the output. However, if it's a case of missing tables, there is a possiblity. Table editing support is high on the priority list, though I'm not sure it will make it to the next public beta.

If you can send me a sample, I'll see if there's anything that can be done.

Regards,

Vent
Old 31st December 2008, 01:40   #37  |  Link
robinsj

Quote:

As long as you play
Did you mean to say something after this? Seems like an incomplete statement. Thanks for those directions for editing out audio, that should work perfectly. Next thing I know, my wife will be complaining that she can't hear it, but see can see them mouth it... haha... So just thought I would ask, is there anyway out there, to blur the mouth or anything like that. I mean, I think for the most part just cutting the audio would work great, but some videos are really close up on a face or something. I know this is out of taste for some people, and like I said before, not looking to get into arguements about what I want to edit. I seriously doubt its possible, but let me know if you have any ideas....
robinsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 04:57   #38  |  Link
Ventolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsj View Post
Did you mean to say something after this? Seems like an incomplete statement. Thanks for those directions for editing out audio, that should work perfectly. Next thing I know, my wife will be complaining that she can't hear it, but see can see them mouth it... haha... So just thought I would ask, is there anyway out there, to blur the mouth or anything like that. I mean, I think for the most part just cutting the audio would work great, but some videos are really close up on a face or something. I know this is out of taste for some people, and like I said before, not looking to get into arguements about what I want to edit. I seriously doubt its possible, but let me know if you have any ideas....
I did have some text after that line, I tried to edit the post to add it in, but looks like it didn't stick. Here's the rest of the text...

"As long as you play the file as a transport stream you will maintain sync, if you demux it you will loose sync at the edit point. To fix this, just demux in separate parts for processing then reassemble afterwards."

As for blurring of mouth, a quick hand infront of the eyes works well, as does changing the video input on the TV with a quick flick of the remote. You should know exactly where the swear words are if you cut them out!

If you want to do it in the video, you'll have to re-encode with a blur filter (using a digital compositor or AVS script for the blur), or just cut the whole GOP out (from I/P frame to I frame).

Cheers,

Vent
Old 31st December 2008, 07:40   #39  |  Link
robinsj

Yeah, i figured that was gonna be the answer but thought I would ask. I honestly don't care, cutting the audio is good enough, and I absolutely don't want to re-encode. What I have been doing, is just ripping the sub titles and doing a search through those for the f words, and it gives me the timestamp right there which is within pretty much a second of when it plays... so then I just use your fine piece of software to pinpoint it and snip it out. Great detailed instructions you gave by the way. This is the reason why I was wondering if you can just enter in a time that you wanted to goto in the video? Did you add this feature, I noticed you said you were going to. Was wondering if it has been added to the downloadable file yet?
robinsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 14:19   #40  |  Link
Renzz

I downloaded TSPE yesterday along with the trial license and managed to do a few edits ok. However, today it will no longer edit. I can open files, move through them, select edit points etc, but when I click on "Edit" to do the final edit, it always immediately fails with

Error:
Index was outside the bounds of the array. at FmX1GV7Hfyex.3rSrxSTS.3I9TgLAHWw6yjYty6cd()
PID: 0, iPii: 0, ProgIndex: 0
Warning: No identified video PID found in this section.
Total time taken 0.06 seconds, write speed 0.0 MB/s

Edit complete: successfully written file with 376 bytes.

It is doing this on the file I successfully edited yesterday as well as others. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

(Oh and BTW, the email address under Help - betatest@bitstreamtools.com - is bouncing as unknown).

Last edited by Renzz; 1st January 2009 at 14:22.
Renzz is offline   Reply With Quote