Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th November 2018, 21:57   #1  |  Link
krzaku

madVR stuttering 4K playback

Hi. I'm having troubles playing my 4K remux files. Specifically they seem to stutter a lot when used with madVR + MPC-HC. This issue only occurs in high bitrate (remux, 70+ mbit/s) 4K files. Haven't tested regular 4K videos, but remux 1080p files (20-30 mbit/s) work fine. madVR struggles greatly, while VLC has no issues with those exact same files. Computer specs: VM machine, i7-4790k of which 6 cores are passed to the VM, GTX 1070 passed through to the VM.

The screenshot attached shows DXVA is used, but this also happens in fullscreen, where only bilinear chroma-upscaling is done. Encoder is set to hardware DXVA2.
Attached Images

krzaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2018, 23:55   #2  |  Link
huhn

can you upload the screen somewhere else?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2018, 16:17   #3  |  Link
krzaku

Here it is: https://i.imgur.com/zt3f9pv.jpg
Old 13th November 2018, 17:28   #4  |  Link
Warner306

The decoder queue is empty. The video isn't being decoded correctly. Try another form of hardware decoding, like D3D11 Automatic (Native).
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2018, 20:46   #5  |  Link
mytbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzaku View Post
Hi. I'm having troubles playing my 4K remux files. Specifically they seem to stutter a lot when used with madVR + MPC-HC. This issue only occurs in high bitrate (remux, 70+ mbit/s) 4K files. Haven't tested regular 4K videos, but remux 1080p files (20-30 mbit/s) work fine. madVR struggles greatly, while VLC has no issues with those exact same files. Computer specs: VM machine, i7-4790k of which 6 cores are passed to the VM, GTX 1070 passed through to the VM.

The screenshot attached shows DXVA is used, but this also happens in fullscreen, where only bilinear chroma-upscaling is done. Encoder is set to hardware DXVA2.
No, sir, your OSD shows DXVA decoding is NOT in effect (it should also read DXVA2 or DXVA11 next to p10, 10 bit, 4:2:0). Check your gfx card is listed under Active Hardware Accelerator in LAV filters ..are UHD (4K) and HEVC checked?

Last edited by mytbyte; 13th November 2018 at 20:59.
mytbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2018, 22:58   #6  |  Link
krzaku

Switching to D3D11 decoding worked, thanks! Any idea why it is like this? I'm sure I set DXVA2 in LAV Decoder settings, here's a screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/y6pP3ZX.png

Anyway, I still can't seem to get HDR to work properly. I set screen resolution to 4k@30hz, color settings to YCbCr422, color depth to 12 bit. Set madVR to passthrough HDR to the display. When playing a video the display switches to HDR mode, but the colors are desaturated. Here's a ctrl+j screenshot when in HDR mode: https://i.imgur.com/COxtfiW.png

Another issue is the audio seems to go out of sync over a longer period of time, any idea what this may be about?
Old 15th November 2018, 23:39   #7  |  Link
huhn

how much PCIe lanes do you get in this setup?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2018, 00:10   #8  |  Link
krzaku

Full 16 lanes.
Old 16th November 2018, 00:22   #9  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzaku View Post
Switching to D3D11 decoding worked, thanks! Any idea why it is like this? I'm sure I set DXVA2 in LAV Decoder settings, here's a screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/y6pP3ZX.png
DXVA2-CopyBack has a certain overhead in memory bandwith, add to that through a VM and it can quite possibly bottleneck decoding. D3D11 Native or DXVA2 Native are far more efficient.
Old 18th November 2018, 16:18   #10  |  Link
krzaku

Huh, I could've sworn I tried DXVA2 Native before, but I guess I didn't because selecting that now also fixes the issue I was having in the OP.

Any idea about the 2 issues I described a few posts above?