Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 28th March 2013, 11:49   #1  |  Link
kolak

Yadif-mod forgotten

Has yadifmod been forgotten?
It's very good deinterlacer in terms of quality/speed ratio- has it reached its possibilities? Nothing more can be done with it?
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 19:18   #2  |  Link
Didée

What do you think that should be done about it? The spatio-temporal operating scheme of Yadif or YadifMod is pretty much complete ... I don't think there is much left that could be improved. Except for "exhaustive" methods like mo-comp assistance etc., but that's a different ballgame.

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 19:41   #3  |  Link
kolak

Maybe this is the answer, which I was looking for
Old 2nd April 2013, 15:05   #4  |  Link
bcn_246

Personally I use YadifMod(edeint=NNEDI3) for 80% of content.

I personally find the results to be far superior to TDeint (although when doing an IVTC TFM does have the upper hand). If the content is really tricky (swapping field orders etc...) QTGMC on the Fast preset rarely fails to extract good quality progressive video.

Still, it does lack some of the options for fine-tuning that other deinterlacers have. Some kind of threshold for the interlacing check would be useful, as I find that on some content Vinverse() is needed afterwards to deal with leftover scan lines.
bcn_246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013, 13:51   #5  |  Link
kolak

I do the same, but sometimes would like something bit better and as you said with more control.
Old 3rd April 2013, 19:24   #6  |  Link
Pulp Catalyst

could you share your procedure, or at least a summary when using vinverse() after you have used QTGMC, (i use MeGUI by the way)

and when you say you still get scan lines left over sometimes, is that when dealing with progressive source but does have interlace lines present in certain (random) locations.

an example would be the TV mini-series Dune (all special effect scenes were interlaced using a strange method (inverse maybe), yet video scenes were pure progressive))
Pulp Catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013, 16:23   #7  |  Link
poisondeathray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp Catalyst View Post
could you share your procedure, or at least a summary when using vinverse() after you have used QTGMC, (i use MeGUI by the way)

and when you say you still get scan lines left over sometimes, is that when dealing with progressive source but does have interlace lines present in certain (random) locations.

an example would be the TV mini-series Dune (all special effect scenes were interlaced using a strange method (inverse maybe), yet video scenes were pure progressive))

Normally you just add vinverse() for residual combing

If you want to be more selective you can apply through trims() or your own user defined masks

If the source was progressive by poorly deinterlaced (and that's what is causing the artifacts), you might try QTGMC in progressive mode
poisondeathray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013, 16:35   #8  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Further on poisondeathray post, if a lot of trims, then either ReplaceFrameSimple or ClipClop, would be a lot easier than Trim()'s.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote