Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 6th July 2009, 21:35   #1061  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

I cannot reproduce this. I've created a chapter file with dvdxchap from ogmtools 1.5 which contains 36 entries. Then I've merged this file normally into a Matroska file (mkvmerge -o v.mkv v.avi --chapters chapters.txt). The resulting file also contains exactly 36 chapters:

Code:
[0 mosu@tionne /tmp] mkvinfo -v -v v.mkv | grep -i 'atom' | wc -l
Then I created a Matroska file without chapters (mkvmerge -o v.mkv v.avi) and used mmg's chapter editor's "save to Matroska file" function with the same chapters.txt file as before. The same result.

I don't know what MediaInfo thinks happens in that file or what exactly happens on your computer. How did you create that Matroska file?

Please re-check with mkvinfo. I don't trust other programs all that much in this regard.

What kind of a container format was your source file? If it was a MP4 file which in turn contained chapters (a single entry) then this might explain this behaviour. You can check this with "mkvmerge -i input.mp4".

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 6th July 2009, 21:50   #1062  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

Hi Moritz,

I checked with mkvinfo and it's reported there as well. This is usually my mkvmerge command line

/usr/bin/mkvmerge --attachment-mime-type image/jpeg --attachment-name Cover --attach-file "/home/neutrino/cover.jpg" -A --title "The Bank Job" --track-name 0:"The Bank Job" "/home/neutrino/The Bank Job.avi" --track-name 1:"HE-AACv1 Stereo" --language 1:en --aac-is-sbr 1:1 /home/neutrino/audio.aac --chapters "/home/neutrino/The Bank Job.chaps" -o "/home/neutrino/The Bank Job.mkv"

I only take the video from the AVI and an external audio encoded by neroAacEnc which both get muxed into mkv.

Code:
neutrino@neutrino:~> mkvinfo -v -v "The Bank Job.mkv" | grep -i 'atom' | wc -l
Old 6th July 2009, 22:00   #1063  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Upload the chapter file somewhere, please, or send me an email to moritz@bunkus.org

Old 6th July 2009, 22:04   #1064  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

Here it is http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?wemmjcmomdo

btw, could it have something to do that I use -o as last instead of as first parameter? eg, mkvmerge blablabla -o output.mkv VS mkvmerge -o output.mkv blablabla
Old 6th July 2009, 22:13   #1065  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy1 View Post
/usr/bin/mkvmerge --attachment-mime-type image/jpeg --attachment-name Cover --attach-file "/home/neutrino/cover.jpg" -A --title "The Bank Job" --track-name 0:"The Bank Job" "/home/neutrino/The Bank Job.avi" --track-name 1:"HE-AACv1 Stereo" --language 1:en --aac-is-sbr 1:1 /home/neutrino/audio.aac --chapters "/home/neutrino/The Bank Job.chaps" -o "/home/neutrino/The Bank Job.mkv"
1. The audio track in an AAC file has the ID 0, not 1. All the parameters e.g. "--track-name 1:..." will do nothing at all. mkvmerge outputs a warning for that.

2. I still cannot reproduce the problem here with the chapter file you've uploaded. AVI files do not contain chapters (or mkvmerge doesn't support reading chapters from them). So I really don't know what's wrong here. You may upload the AVI file in question to my FTP server if you want, but if not then I cannot really help you. BTW, please post the output of 'mkvmerge --identify-verbose "/home/neutrino/The Bank Job.avi"'.

Quote:
btw, could it have something to do that I use -o as last instead of as first parameter? eg, mkvmerge blablabla -o output.mkv VS mkvmerge -o output.mkv blablabla
3. No.

The following command line uses dummy files in place of your original ones, obviously:

Code:
[0 mosu@tionne ~/dl] mkvmerge --attachment-mime-type image/jpeg --attachment-name Cover --attach-file ~/files/Pictures/Desktop/gilmorewall.jpg -A --title "The Bank Job" --track-name 0:"The Bank Job" ~/prog/video/mkvtoolnix/data/v.avi --track-name 0:"HE-AACv1 Stereo" --language 0:en --aac-is-sbr 0:1 /ftp/.rip/mkv/qtmp4/aac/sbr/sample_44-2-16_HE_AAC.aac  --chapters "The Bank Job.txt" -o "The Bank Job.mkv"
[0 mosu@tionne ~/dl] mkvinfo -v -v The\ Bank\ Job.mkv| grep -i atom | wc -l

Old 6th July 2009, 22:35   #1066  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

Hi, Moritz

@1 - well, I tried both --track-name 0 and --track-name 1 on the audio.aac file and mkvmerge does not display a warning. All I see in both cases is this
Quote:
'The Bank Job - chapter 1-1.avi' track 0: Using the MPEG-4 part 10 ES video output module.
'audio.aac' track 1: Using the AAC output module.
@2 I can't upload the whole AVI file since I don't have it anymore (deleted after remuxing). However, I did encode just now the first chapter of the DVD using very fast settings and very low resolution, just for testing purposes and exported the chapters with dvdxchap (I can upload that and the chapters file in a minute). Then manually muxed everything and still I get 26 chaps instead of 25

as for the identify thing...
Code:
mkvmerge --identify-verbose "/home/neutrino/The Bank Job - chapter 1-1.avi"
File '/home/neutrino/The Bank Job - chapter 1-1.avi': container: AVI
Track ID 0: video (h264) [packetizer:mpeg4_p10_es_video]
Track ID 1: audio (PCM)
Old 6th July 2009, 22:40   #1067  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Hi, Moritz

@1 - well, I tried both --track-name 0 and --track-name 1 on the audio.aac file and mkvmerge does not display a warning. All I see in both cases is this
Then you only have a single AVI file as an input file and not a separate AAC audio file. In any case your command line does not match what you're seeing at the moment as mkvmerge's output.

Quote:
@2 I can't upload the whole AVI file since I don't have it anymore (deleted after remuxing). However, I did encode just now the first chapter of the DVD using very fast settings and very low resolution, just for testing purposes and exported the chapters with dvdxchap (I can upload that and the chapters file in a minute). Then manually muxed everything and still I get 26 chaps instead of 25
A short AVI will be enough if it shows the same problem, but please upload all the files that are part of the remuxing process.

Old 6th July 2009, 22:55   #1068  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Then you only have a single AVI file as an input file and not a separate AAC audio file. In any case your command line does not match what you're seeing at the moment as mkvmerge's output.
Now I did get a warning though, but only when using --track-name 0 and --language 0. Everything set to 1 for audio.aac does not produce a warning and shows the track name and language specified while when using 0 (and getting a warning) no track name and language are shown by mediainfo

With --track-name 0 --language 0

Code:
mkvmerge -A The\ Bank\ Job\ -\ chapter\ 1-1.avi --track-name 0:"foobar" --language 0:en audio.aac -o output.mkv                                                              
mkvmerge v2.9.7 ('Tenderness') built on Jul  2 2009 03:11:06                                       
'The Bank Job - chapter 1-1.avi': Using the AVI demultiplexer. Opening file. This may take some time depending on the file's size.                                                                    
'audio.aac': Using the Quicktime/MP4 demultiplexer.                                                
'The Bank Job - chapter 1-1.avi' track 0: Extracted the aspect ratio information from the MPEG-4 layer 10 (AVC) video data and set the display dimensions to 313/176.                                 
'The Bank Job - chapter 1-1.avi' track 0: Using the MPEG-4 part 10 ES video output module.         
Warning: 'audio.aac': A track with the ID 0 was requested but not found in the file. The corresponding option will be ignored.
The file 'output.mkv' has been opened for writing.
Progress: 100%
The cue entries (the index) are being written...
Muxing took 3 seconds.
With --track-name 1 --language 1
Code:
mkvmerge -A The\ Bank\ Job\ -\ chapter\ 1-1.avi --track-name 1:"foobar" --language 1:en audio.aac -o output.mkv
mkvmerge v2.9.7 ('Tenderness') built on Jul  2 2009 03:11:06
'The Bank Job - chapter 1-1.avi': Using the AVI demultiplexer. Opening file. This may take some time depending on the file's size.
'The Bank Job - chapter 1-1.avi' track 0: Extracted the aspect ratio information from the MPEG-4 layer 10 (AVC) video data and set the display dimensions to 313/176.
The file 'output.mkv' has been opened for writing.
Progress: 100%
The cue entries (the index) are being written...
Muxing took 6 seconds.
Also, even if no chapters file is added, mkvmerge still creates that very same chapters entry and each time it has a value of 00:00:00.097

Quote:
A short AVI will be enough if it shows the same problem, but please upload all the files that are part of the remuxing process.
Yes, doing it now. I'll upload the AVI, chapters file, audio.aac file and the muxed mkv file so you can see the chapters entries. Since you can't reproduce it on your side, I begin in thinking that it's on my machine somehow and not mkvmerge's fault

Last edited by microchip8; 6th July 2009 at 22:57.
Old 6th July 2009, 23:03   #1069  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Code:
You can stop the upload(s). The audio.aac file is actually a MP4 file and not a raw AAC file. That's why the track ID starts at 1 for you and not at 0, and that's probably where the lone chapter entry comes from. Reading chapters from MP4 files is a rather new feature, that's why you don't see the problem with older versions.

You can verify this with "mkvmerge -i audio.aac"; it should show chapters. You can turn off copying chapters from that file with the "--no-chapters" option, e.g. "mkvmerge -o ... --no-chapters audio.aac".

You'd better rename the file to audio.mp4, too

Old 6th July 2009, 23:11   #1070  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

Quote:
You can stop the upload(s). The audio.aac file is actually a MP4 file and not a raw AAC file. That's why the track ID starts at 1 for you and not at 0, and that's probably where the lone chapter entry comes from. Reading chapters from MP4 files is a rather new feature, that's why you don't see the problem with older versions.

You can verify this with "mkvmerge -i audio.aac"; it should show chapters. You can turn off copying chapters from that file with the "--no-chapters" option, e.g. "mkvmerge -o ... --no-chapters audio.aac".

You'd better rename the file to audio.mp4, too
Ahhh, now it's so clear. Yes indeed, neroAacEnc wraps the audio in mp4 and I didn't think of that so it was user "error" on my part

I'll be using --no-chapters in the future then. Thanks for the great support
Old 6th July 2009, 23:17   #1071  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

You're welcome.

Old 7th July 2009, 23:30   #1072  |  Link
sneaker_ger

I've probably found another small bug in the native mpeg4 part 2 muxing. I'd advise everyone to wait until Mosu has taken a look at it before remuxing your files.
Old 8th July 2009, 00:51   #1073  |  Link
Chumbo

I tried adding a PCM file but it keeps thinking it's an h.264/avc MPEG4 part 10 elementary stream. Here's the eac3to info for the file.
Code:
eac3to v3.16
command line: eac3to  audio.pcm -log=pcm.info.txt
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This might be a RAW/PCM file. Trying to figure out the details.
This will probably take a while. Please be patient...
The RAW/PCM file seems to be big endian.
The RAW/PCM file seems to have a bitdepth of 16 bits.
The RAW/PCM file seems to have 6 channels.
RAW/PCM, 5.1 channels, 0:00:47, 16 bits, 4608kbps, 48khz
I'm still using 2.9.5 right now.
Old 8th July 2009, 08:27   #1074  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Raw PCM files are not supported and never will be.

Old 8th July 2009, 10:59   #1075  |  Link
Tima

attachment loss after remuxing

I have two files:

1. a.mkv with one ASS track and 3 attaches fonts.
2. b.ass

Look at the following sequence:

1. add a and b into mmg
2. uncheck ASS track (from a.mkv)
3. remux the result into c.mks

After this sequence I get c.mks without attached fonts.
Don't think it's intended behaviour.

This workaround works ok:

1. add a and b into mmg
2. remux the result into t.mks
3. reset mmg; add t.mks
4. uncheck old ASS track
5. remux the result into c.mks

If this description isn't enough, I can provide all necessary test files
Old 8th July 2009, 13:36   #1076  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tima View Post
I have two files:

1. a.mkv with one ASS track and 3 attaches fonts.
2. b.ass

Look at the following sequence:

1. add a and b into mmg
2. uncheck ASS track (from a.mkv)
3. remux the result into c.mks

After this sequence I get c.mks without attached fonts.
Don't think it's intended behavior.

This workaround works ok:

1. add a and b into mmg
2. remux the result into t.mks
3. reset mmg; add t.mks
4. uncheck old ASS track
5. remux the result into c.mks

If this description isn't enough, I can provide all necessary test files
I can't reproduce it here so you may want to upload your samples.
Old 8th July 2009, 13:44   #1077  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

You might also make sure that you're testing this with mkvtoolnix 2.9.7 as I have changed the way that "track-less" files are handled in one of the latest releases due to the change how mmg presents attachments, chapters and tags present in source files.

Old 8th July 2009, 15:34   #1078  |  Link
Tima

Quote:
You might also make sure that you're testing this with mkvtoolnix 2.9.7 as I have changed the way that "track-less" files are handled in one of the latest releases due to the change how mmg presents attachments, chapters and tags present in source files.
Yes, its, 2.9.7.

Samples:
http://nwfiles.gorodok.net/a.mkv
http://nwfiles.gorodok.net/b.ass
Old 8th July 2009, 16:38   #1079  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tima View Post
OK, now I get the same behavior. It always happens when trying to only copy the attachments, but no track.
Old 8th July 2009, 17:54   #1080  |  Link
Chumbo

Quote:
Raw PCM files are not supported and never will be.
Thanks for the info. May I ask why if you don't mind? I'm curious.