Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th February 2011, 20:46   #601  |  Link
HomeY_

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatKnight View Post
These m2ts files with DTS-HD MA were from Blurays.

Can anyone also reproduce this?

Bat
I can't. I've been testing with Blu-rays and all movies with DTS-HD output LPCM here.
HomeY_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 21:18   #602  |  Link
Sebastiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
I'm trying to figure out the video-does-not-start issue some people keep reporting.

Can someone reproduce it 100%?
If yes:
- What player?
- What decoders?
- What renderers?
- Any other filters in the graph?
- Sample it happens with?
Hi,
- Player Mediaportal.
- FFDShow Video Decoder / Microsoft DTV Video Or other.
- EVR Renderer.
- Screenshot link (Audio Switcher or Not is the same).

To make video appear -> Needed Seek or Pause/Play or Switch Audio Stream. (it seems related arround Audio Stream inside Lav but i'm not sure @ 100%)

Sometimes it's start or start after a few second between 5 to 60.
With MPC Splitter (MKV or MPEG) -> all always start
Also all is always working in Graphstudio.

Really hard to find why
Seb.

Screenshot1

Screenshot1
Old 10th February 2011, 01:54   #603  |  Link
mindbomb

Quote:
I've also noticed that m2ts files with DTS-HD MA tracks spllitted by LAVSplitter and decoded by LAVadio just outputs bursts of static noise. I don't know if MKV with DTS-HD MA also does the same, because I don't have any file that way.
But I do know that MKV with regular DTS plays ok.

Bat
are you sure you were using lavfsplitter?

I think i experienced this with the mpc internal splitter.
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 06:21   #604  |  Link
jmone

Did some testing of the lavc audio decoder and again - looks like a bunch of good work that has resulted in a solid decoder. The following were played from a bunch of different test files in ACI, TS, M2TS, MKV, and MPG containers and the tracks all played well with good lipsync. The following outlines the original Audio Codec --> lavc output (as reported by Reclock). The only filters used in the test were lavf Source Filter --> ffdshow Video Decoder, lavc Audio Decoder --> madVR Video Renderer, Reclock Audio Renderer.

48KHz/16Bit AC3 --> 48KHz PCM IEEE Float
48KHz True HD --> 48KHz/24Bit PCM

48KHz/20Bit DTS --> 48KHz PCM IEEE Float
48KHz/24Bit DTSMA --> 48KHz PCM IEEE Float
96KHz/24Bit DTSMA --> 48KHz PCM IEEE Float

48KHz/16Bit PCM --> 48KHz/16Bit PCM
48KHz/24Bit PCM --> 48KHz/24Bit PCM
96KHz/24Bit PCM --> 96KHz/24Bit PCM

44.1KHz/16Bit FLAC --> 44.1KHz/16Bit PCM
48KHz/24Bit FLAC --> 48KHz/24Bit PCM

44.1KHz/16Bit MP2 --> 44.1KHz/16 Bit PCM
44.1KHz MP3 --> 44.1KHz PCM IEEE Float
48KHz/4Bit ADPCM --> 48KHz/16 Bit PCM

From these results I can conclude that the lavc audio decoder is capable of outputting high bit rate (eg 96khz) and sample rate (24 bit) multi channel PCM streams. What I am unsure of is where the output is IEEE Float what internal bit depth was used AND if if the full DTS-MA was decoded or just the DTS "Core". If it is only decoding the Core (which I would expect as to my knowledge there is no open source DTS-MA decoder), can we have an option to disable this support so we can load instead the Arcsoft HD Audio decoder to handle DTS-MA?

Thanks
Nathan
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 06:45   #605  |  Link
jmone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone View Post
Thanks - I'll do some more testing and report back. I'm using JR Media Center as my Direct Show player and I can select what combination of filters for it to try to build a graph with. With a quick play, I'm getting some working really well, some where it is not connecting, and some where it is hanging. I'll give a fuller update tommorow with luck.
FYI - If I load DirectVobSub the subs stay on. They only "disapper" when just using the subs option in FFDSHOW.
Old 10th February 2011, 08:06   #606  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I might have figured out the cause of the videos not starting. The MPC-HC splitters all have some funny code to interpolate timestamps when none exist, and i didnt implement anything like that yet. The files i tested all seem to have no proper timestamps on the first few video frames, thus causing the renderer to fail, as it doesnt know when to show them.

Going to investigate some more.

Quote:
From these results I can conclude that the lavc audio decoder is capable of outputting high bit rate (eg 96khz) and sample rate (24 bit) multi channel PCM streams. What I am unsure of is where the output is IEEE Float what internal bit depth was used AND if if the full DTS-MA was decoded or just the DTS "Core". If it is only decoding the Core (which I would expect as to my knowledge there is no open source DTS-MA decoder), can we have an option to disable this support so we can load instead the Arcsoft HD Audio decoder to handle DTS-MA?
It only decodes the Core (as you can see, its the only format in your test that comes out as lower sample rate as the input, core only has 48khz). There will be options in the future to disable certain formats.

All the decoders outputting float actually decode in full 32-bit float, there is no conversion being done.
Most lossy decoders actually work internally in float, its just a matter of disabling the conversion to int16 that ffmpeg has setup for all codecs. Lossless decoders (TrueHD, FLAC) decode in integer, as you can see in the output as well.

Quote:
I've also noticed that m2ts files with DTS-HD MA tracks spllitted by LAVSplitter and decoded by LAVadio just outputs bursts of static noise. I don't know if MKV with DTS-HD MA also does the same, because I don't have any file that way.
But I do know that MKV with regular DTS plays ok.

Bat
I know that AC3Filter does not like DTS-HD MA streams, or at least did not use to like them. The MPC-HC splitters had some ugly code to rip out the HD extensions. I don't think its my job to fix broken decoders, so i don't have that.

Are you sure AC3Filter didnt sneak into the playback somewhere?

Last edited by nevcairiel; 10th February 2011 at 08:13.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 09:12   #607  |  Link
jmone

Quote:
I might have figured out the cause of the videos not starting. The MPC-HC splitters all have some funny code to interpolate timestamps when none exist, and i didnt implement anything like that yet. The files i tested all seem to have no proper timestamps on the first few video frames, thus causing the renderer to fail, as it doesnt know when to show them.

The thing that gets me is is you go a seek back to the begining these "odd" files play.

Quote:
It only decodes the Core (as you can see, its the only format in your test that comes out as lower sample rate as the input, core only has 48khz). There will be options in the future to disable certain formats.
Great news!

Thanks
Nathan
Old 10th February 2011, 09:32   #608  |  Link
jmone

Dumb Q - you have a ffmpeg based spliiter, AV, and you by any change working on a Direct Show Video Decoder as well?
Old 10th February 2011, 10:59   #609  |  Link
bjd

Quote:
I might have figured out the cause of the videos not starting.
Appreciate the time and effort going on into developing these excellent filters further

Quote:
I've also noticed that m2ts files with DTS-HD MA tracks spllitted by LAVSplitter and decoded by LAVadio just outputs bursts of static noise.
Tried on several .m2ts files and cannot replicate.
bjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 11:34   #610  |  Link
Sebastiii

Quote:

Hi

It's really nice,
Thanks,
Seb
Old 10th February 2011, 13:50   #611  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Dumb Q - you have a ffmpeg based spliiter, AV, and you by any change working on a Direct Show Video Decoder as well?
Not quite yet. Maybe one day i will. But video decoding is much more complex then audio decoding.
Old 10th February 2011, 14:01   #612  |  Link
bjd

Quote:
can we have an option to disable this support so we can load instead the Arcsoft HD Audio decoder to handle DTS-MA?
If you are using Mpc-Hc

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...12#post1475512
Old 10th February 2011, 16:32   #613  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I managed to fix two seperate issues that caused some files not to play.

One was related to the seeking code. The seek logic preferred to seek to a keyframe, but in some files seeking to time 0 does not work when the first frame starts with a slightly different time, but ffmpeg didn't set the proper start time. This seemed to primarily affect AVI files.
The second issue was treating timestamps of the value 0 as "broken" and nulling them out. Now if a file happens to start with exactly time 0 (not many do, actually), it would null this value out, and the renderer would receive an invalid time.

I'll test some more samples, maybe there are more bugs in there somewhere.
Old 10th February 2011, 17:04   #614  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

LAV DirectShow Filters 0.14
General
- The project and filters have been renamed slightly for consistency

LAV Splitter
- The settings have been moved to a different place in the Registry. You will need to re-apply them.
- Improved MPEG-TS duration calculations.
- The settings will now always be properly saved and loaded.
- Disabled the limit of 20 Streams per file.
- Fixed two seperate issues that caused files to not start playing.

LAV Audio Decoder
- Property Page for Configuration and Status has been added
- Dynamic Range Compression is now off by default, but configurable.
- Media Type creation has been improved, fixes filter connection issues.
- Processing of UINT8 Samples has been fixed.
- Fixed a crash with some Audio codecs.
- Fixed Channel Order for 7.1 Streams
- Increased the decoders Merit
- Added support for decoding QT PCM

Known issues:
- TrueHD in m2ts files cannot be decoded by LAV Audio when using the MPC-HC internal MPEG Splitter. (This will most likely never be fixed, the splitter is just doing it wrong).

Download: 32-bit & 64-bit

First off, like mentioned above:
The registry key for LAVSplitter has changed. I did not bother to write some migration logic, because there is only like 3 settings. Remember to redo them if you had something specific in there.
Also, the files have been renamed again for consistency, so remember to register the filters again with the included .bat files. (I should do an installer, huh)

This version adds a property page for the Audio Decoder. The main purpose is to get some statistics displayed, which will hopefully help in debugging.
Additionally, you can configure DRC on there.
Requantization, and therefor disabling of certain output formats, has been moved to the next version.

I hope most of the "does not start" issues have been resolved!

Last edited by nevcairiel; 10th February 2011 at 17:20.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 17:07   #615  |  Link
bjd

Old 10th February 2011, 17:42   #616  |  Link
Stebet

A small issue with the audio decoder.

It doesn't work with Expression Encoder and AC3, EE reports file type not supported.

EE works fine with AC3Filter and ffdshow (except for the fact that they don't always return exatcly the same data so 2-pass encoding using AC3 as source fails).
Old 10th February 2011, 17:52   #617  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stebet View Post
A small issue with the audio decoder.

It doesn't work with Expression Encoder and AC3, EE reports file type not supported.

EE works fine with AC3Filter and ffdshow (except for the fact that they don't always return exatcly the same data so 2-pass encoding using AC3 as source fails).
I can only guess that the EE does not like float input from the decoder. To confirm this theory, you could try the following:
In ffdshow config, turn off every output format, except Floating Point, and see if it still connects. If it doesn't, thats it.
Old 10th February 2011, 18:02   #618  |  Link
Stebet

Does the audio filter require ffdshow to be installed? Or am I misunderstanding something?

Also, another bug, and a rather serious one I think. There seems to be a big memory leak in the splitter for large MKVs.

Expression Encoder errored out pretty fast on a big 2 hour long 1080p MKV (H.264 video, AAC audio) with an out of memory error on the very first pass (I have 8GB ram, but EE is a 32bit process I think).

That does not happen with Haali's Matroska splitter (EE stays at around 400MBs)
Old 10th February 2011, 18:03   #619  |  Link
adam777

Thanks for the new version, nevcairiel.
A small, cosmetic bug - properties tab should read "LAV Splitter", not "LAVFSplitter".
adam777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 18:16   #620  |  Link
Ger

Yes, thanks indeed. I guess it's LAVS and LAVAD (or LAVA?) for short now then.

All of my previously affected AVIs start normally now.
Don't have any mkv/other files with the black screen issue so I'll leave the feedback on that to someone else.

On another note, if you want another "rare material challenge", I do actually have a weirdly muxed mov with a black screen issue, but that is not related to the newly fixed stuff. The issue in this case is that there are several video tracks listed (mjpeg, qtrle and mpeg4), and the one selected by default by the splitter (mjpeg) doesn't seem to contain any actual video, so manually changing to the highest bit rate video track (mpeg4) shows the video. I guess one or both of those listed low bit rate video tracks are actually text (shown when this file is started with the MPC-HC splitter).

Maybe the splitter can be changed to prioritize mpeg4 over mjpeg and qtrle as the default video track, or prioritize the highest bit rate video track if that makes more sense?

Another issue is that all tracks, audio, video and subs seem to be listed twice by LAVS. MediaInfo only lists them once.

FWIW, the header says "Compiled by Revver Inc. TMS v2.0", whatever that is.
Ger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter