Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 6th December 2006, 19:28   #81  |  Link
Isochroma

Yes, WMV2 offers the highest encoding speed (many times that for WMV3) and probably the best speed per unit quality of any codec ever made. Not only that but it has the fastest decoding (faster than ASP/WMV3, and would be faster than AVC except for the CoreAVC decoder).
Isochroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 00:00   #82  |  Link
Isochroma

Not only does WMV2 offer the best Speed/Quality ratio, but after careful comparison this morning, I've found that it offers equal or superior quality in high- and mid-motion scenes to x264 rev.602 (latest) at constant quantizer 18 with all other quality options cranked to max except CABAC. Here's the specs, sorry I already deleted the screenshots but the source was HDTV .TS 1920x1080 scaled down to 1368x768 using Lanczos4resize().

The WMV file was about 31MB, the x264 about 32MB, and of course WMV2 using Nic's ran at about 5fps, while x264 managed .5-.6fps. Needless to say, scaling back the quality options in x264 to obtain more speed quickly degraded the quality to significantly below WMV2 level.

WMV:

Format: WMV2 in WMV
Mode: Quality VBR, 100
FPS: 23.976
Advanced Options: all default, except:
1. Lookahead: 16 frames
2. Macroblock Mode Cost Method: RD Cost
3. Motion Search Range: +1023.75/-1024.0 H, +255.75/-256.0 V
4. Motion Vector Coding Method: Horizontal
5. NumBFrames: 1
6. Minimum/Maximum Complexity: Fastest
7. Buffer Windows Size: 60000
(Note: I have a feeling most of these options don't affect WMV2, but I've verified that Complexity does work on both WMV1/2 and significantly decreases CPU usage on playback, while minimally affecting quality)

x264: (Tabs are in MeGUI, only changed items are shown)

<Main Tab>
Format: AVC1 in MP4
Mode: Const. Quantizer
Quantizer: 18
Profile: High Profile
Deblocking: Enabled
<RC and ME Tab>
Chroma M.E.: on
M.E. Range: 16
M.E. Algorithm: Exhaustive
Subpixel Refinement: 7
<Advanced Tab>
CABAC: off
No Dct Decimation: on
No Fast P-Skip: on
Macroblock Options: Custom (all checked)
B-Frames: 1
RDO for B-frames: on
Weighted B-Prediction: on
Bidirectional M.E.: on
B-frame mode: Temporal

Last edited by Isochroma; 7th December 2006 at 04:05.
Old 7th December 2006, 00:53   #83  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isochroma View Post
Not only does WMV2 offer the best Speed/Quality ratio, but after careful comparison this morning, I've found that it offers equal or superior quality in high- and mid-motion scenes to x264 rev.602 (latest) at constant quantizer 18 with all other quality options cranked to max except CABAC.
Seriously? OK, even I can't believe that. Sounds like time for sharing screenshots and video samples!

Quote:
(Note: I have a feeling most of these options don't affect WMV2, but I've verified that Complexity does work on both WMV2/3 and significantly decreases CPU usage on playback, while minimally affecting quality)
You are correct. The registry tweaks only affect WMV9, and only the newest (v11) builds at that.
zambelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2006, 04:08   #84  |  Link
Isochroma

So in addition to thanking Nic for the excellent tool, I'd like to thank Microsoft for some fine engineering on WMV2, and of course also some minus feedback on WMV3, due to its very low speed/unit quality ratio.

Thanks to Nic's WMVEnc + WMV2, I'm now transcoding one .ts per day, and so can finally make progress on the backlog of 100+ encodes waiting to go!

After encoding, the .WMV is loaded into Graphedit and the video stream sent to Gabest's latest MatroskaMuxer, instead of the WMVDecoder. Then the AC3 is muxing in a secondary step with MKVToolnix. This is because Gabest's MM doesn't fill in all the details (display size) and hasn't been updated in a while.

Also, I tried Haali's latest muxer but it screws up and doesn't set the framerate atom, so the mkv's can't be demuxed and play at the wrong framerate.

Last edited by Isochroma; 7th December 2006 at 04:10.
Old 7th December 2006, 04:59   #85  |  Link
killerhex

wmv3 is wmv v9
killerhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 16:09   #86  |  Link
Taxidermista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
Is this wonderful easy tool still being developed? If yes, it would be great if you could add the support of pixel aspect ratio. To me it seems essential to be able to set the aspect ratio of the encoded video.
Ditto. I would like to encode some 16:9 hd video at 1440x1080. Is this supported yet?
Old 1st April 2007, 16:13   #87  |  Link
Eastermeyer
Happy Easter!

I would like to Encode 2pass ABR at 8112kbps (just like an ordinary XviD 2pass).

So i check "Use Multipass Encoding". Do i have to check VBR , too ?

And for the Bitrate , do i have to enter 8112 or 8112000 ?
Old 9th June 2007, 12:57   #88  |  Link
snrsuave

Does WMNicEnc work on Vista? I can't get it to work. It crashes each time I hit the encode button. I've tried running it as administrator and in XP compatibility mode, but I've had no luck.
snrsuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 04:11   #89  |  Link
adrianmak

To encode in VC-1 format, should I select the WMV9 Advanced profile in WMEnc ?
adrianmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 10:37   #90  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

You can, but main and simple are also VC-1. You don't need advanced unless you need some of its features, like interlaced encoding.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 07:59   #91  |  Link
musicman2311

this is a nice tool - would it be possible to include essential information in the bitstream such as aspect ratio ?
musicman2311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007, 23:03   #92  |  Link
wallstreetcrash

This is a great tool! Thanks to the maker

I just wanted to ask a few questions on settings.
If I just want 2-ch audio @ 192kbs, should I use WMA 9.2 or WMA10 Pro? Is one quicker than the other, if so which one? Or if they are the same, I should use WMA10 I suppose?

And there are tons of Video codecs, I'm stuck on which one to use.

WMV 9
WMV V8
WMV 9 Image
WMV 9.1 Image
WMV 9 Advanced Profile

Which one uses VC-1?
And which one is the best quality-time ratio? I'm not too fussed about quality as I will be encoding TV shows, and then they will be disposed off and not for a collection, wondering which codec to use. WMV V8 will be quickest right?

Also, I am not bothered about size, so what bitrate do I use and what quality, and do I use VBR?

Basically, I convert weekly a few MKV TV shows of mine, and would like about 20fps encoding on my P4 3.4GHz 1GB RAM machine.

Thanks, hope I can get some help
wallstreetcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2007, 00:02   #93  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

Reading the VC-1 sticky will shed light on your questions, but the short answer is: WMV9 is VC-1 Simple/Main, and WMV9 AP is VC-1 Advanced profile.
Old 3rd November 2007, 12:26   #94  |  Link
wallstreetcrash

Thanks, so I'll use WMV V8 i.e. WMV2
And WMA 9.2 for audio.

But last question is the quality settings.
Next to bitrate, it has a quality setting, what does this do?
And if I don't care about size, should I use VBR?

I want to convert a 1GB mkv TV show.

Thanks.
wallstreetcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2007, 09:41   #95  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

No to take away any thunder from Nic, but WMNicEnc is a little out of date by now - it might be easier and more intuitive to use WMCmd.vbs or WME9+PowerToy for your encoding. The options and context help are more accurate in those tools.