Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 16th September 2003, 11:03   #1  |  Link
Shubin

AviSynth effects plugin development.

Hi,

I tried to make plugins for AviSynth and found that it's
a lot of fun. I wrote a pseudo colorization filter that
can do a lot of things : just color tinting b/w clips;
apply "random" colors to the clip; solarization; or even
converting picture to a mess of moving color or black dots.
Of course it's a simple thing without lot of math, but looks
nice. Another filter I'm going to make is vignette/spotlight.

So I have some questions to ask :

- Am I reinventing the wheel ? Is there a library of effect filter for AVS already ?
- Where could I place plugins where others will be able to take them ? I'm not going to make my homepage now.
- Is anybody interested ?
Shubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2003, 14:46   #2  |  Link
WarpEnterprises
C64

I collected nearly all filters on
http://www.avisynth.org/~warpenterprises
You can mail me yours and I will upload them ASAP.
You can search http://www.avisynth.org if there are more filters and some docu (there will be no docu on my page if it is not in the filter ZIP)
WarpEnterprises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2003, 00:15   #3  |  Link
MrTibs

As long as you are writing special filters, would you consider porting Gimp's ReFocus plugins?

http://refocus.sourceforge.net/

http://refocus-it.sourceforge.net/
MrTibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2003, 10:15   #4  |  Link
Shubin

Thanks, I'll look at refocus plugin, but
right now my pluging development skills are far below
average. The pseudocolor plugin I wrote consists of
only about 20 lines of code, except the framework.
Shubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2003, 16:16   #5  |  Link
MrTibs

I am hardly an advanced plugin developer but so far, most of my filters consist of less then 20 lines of code (excluding framework). The trick is what you do with those twenty lines...

For my FixVHSOversharp filter, only 8 lines of code do all the work.
My LogoBlend filter really only consists of about 5 lines of code. (Of course it took quite a bit of trial and error to figure out those few lines....)

Anyway, if you look at most of the filters out there, they are quite simple considering the amazing things they do.

Just a word of encouragement...
Old 18th September 2003, 17:23   #6  |  Link
liquid217

MrTibs, im not sure if you are aware of it or not, but iterative deconvolution code has been ported to a virtualdub filter.
http://virtualdub.everwicked.com/ind...60&#entry16308
liquid217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2003, 18:17   #7  |  Link
MrTibs

Thanks, I didn't know that ReFocus had been ported. I tried to download the filter but the link doesn't work. Do you have a copy of the binary or source? Could you email it to mrtibsvideo@yahoo.com?

I'd like to see it in action.
Old 20th September 2003, 16:05   #8  |  Link
morsa
the dumbest

Well, iterative refocus works quite well.
Just I guess porting the other one would be better.I'm convinced that a simple wiener filtering would give more natural results.
Also, what about porting colorize filter from gimp, to try B&W colorization?
morsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2003, 07:28   #9  |  Link
Mug Funky
interlace this!

@ shubin:
you could also make some filters for doing compositing and keying.

i've written an avisynth script that does chroma keying faster than after effects, while giving me control over every stage, but haven't been able to make one for difference matting (maybe i haven't tried hard enough...?)

also, a simple cubic/gaussian blur filter like the one in virtualdub (ie. fast as hell) would be very useful indeed.

@ mrTibs:
i really like fixVHSoversharp! good work. i've been trying to use it to get a "filmlike" look to DV footage, and been getting some good results (obviously when combined with a bunch of other filters). one problem is with close parallel lines though - i get weird hollow lines and jaggies when certain lines get too close.

fixVHSoversharp is very useful for getting rid of the crappy processing a sub standard (all i can afford) DV camera will apply. basically, you separatefields, turn the image 90 degrees, apply your filter, then turn back.
Old 22nd September 2003, 16:19   #10  |  Link
MrTibs

@Mug Funky

I'm glad you like FixVHS. Although I didn't write it for DV source (only VHS tape) it seems to be getting most of its use that way. It seems that I need to write one for DV as well (with vertical correciton).

Anyay, what you describe as a problem is FixVHS's biggest problem. I don't know if your went to the KVCD forum linked on my FixVHS page but there you should find a lot about the filter and how it works. Still, hear are some suggestions:

- If the sproblem is specific to a limited video sequence, try using the trim statement to avoid that section. (I sometimes do this during credits.)

- You can try resizing the frame (by double) then apply FixVHS multiple times. I found this dramatically improved the results and greatly reduced the errors you describe.
i.e.

#my source was 352x480 so I resized
bicubicresize(704,480)

FixVHSOversharp(30,28,24)
FixVHSOversharp(30,28,20)
FixVHSOversharp(30,24,16)
FixVHSOversharp(30,24,12)
FixVHSOversharp(30,24,8 )

- Adjust the detection width to the spacing of the vertical lines. This is unlikely to hurt your overall result but will cause the FixVHS detection to ride peakes of the vertical lines and reduce errors. (You could also greatly shorten your detection width to partially correct the effected area and thus make it invisible further FixVHS correction - assuming your run FixVHS multiple times.)

Sorry about the silliness of how to use this filter on DV. I need to write a version for DV but I've been busy on my logo filter. If you could, send me a short video sequence for testing....mrtibsvideo@yahoo.com.
Old 22nd September 2003, 21:58   #11  |  Link
morsa
the dumbest

What would be the settings if I supersampled to 1440 x 1152?
Cause I have a man with a tie with white patterns and is getting terribly distorted.
morsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2003, 08:31   #12  |  Link
MrTibs

Without seeing the source, trial and error is your best bet. I first would try leaving the settings as they are and see how they perform after the resize. Other than that, I would play around with the detection width until the tie wasn't touched by FixVHS. If the tie isn't something like a black and white stripe, I would try playing around with minimum brightness change value in hopes to avoid the tie altogether. If that isn't possible, I would play around with the detection width until it was approximately the width of stripes on the tie. (i.e. trial and error and eye-balling)

Unfortunitly there is no magic here, just trial and error.