Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th November 2012, 21:51   #15881  |  Link
ajp_anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaMG View Post
I use this for everything and works like a charm (give it a try):

http://micromighty.com/Products/Screen_Mode_Switch.aspx
But then it won't auto-detect the movie fps, it won't go back automatically when I close the media player, and it won't help me figure out what's causing the problem I had a few posts up. Plus it requires yet another external program instead of extending a feature that's already there.
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 22:16   #15882  |  Link
AndreaMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp_anton View Post
But then it won't auto-detect the movie fps, it won't go back automatically when I close the media player, and it won't help me figure out what's causing the problem I had a few posts up.
I'm not following youYou said you wanted madshi to add a feature to MANUALLY change the refresh rate and I simply suggested a program that does exactly that not only under MadVR but under everything, of course it does not detect the actual fps of what is going on screen, for that just use the built-in MPCHC autochange fullcreen monitor mode which in my case gives always the correct results even when MadVR fails
AndreaMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 22:24   #15883  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
It means that the DXVA2 APIs report failure for some reason. I don't know why. And it will be hard to fix without having access to such hardware. The same DXVA2 code in madVR appears to work fine for newer Intel GPUs, so I'm wondering if it's maybe a driver issue.
I'm sure I've used MadVR before on this machine (with software decoding and hardware deinterlacing) and have never seen this error before, plus EVR does deinterlacing fine. I'm using the latest drivers.

Anything I can do? Provide a sample, or let you access my laptop remotely perhaps?

Last edited by DragonQ; 30th November 2012 at 22:27.
DragonQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 22:55   #15884  |  Link
secvensor

Problems occured:
1.At adjustment the active mark on Jink in image upscaling vanishes.
2.The new screenshot option through madvr does not keep influence of external active filters.
6(3x2)GB Transcend 1426MHz
RoyalHD (64MB)[Solo6c][JPLAY]/HD7850DC22GD5V2[EIZOT965]
Seasonic X-750
VelociRaptor WD4500HLHX/16TB_STORE
secvensor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 04:47   #15885  |  Link
ajp_anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaMG View Post
I'm not following youYou said you wanted madshi to add a feature to MANUALLY change the refresh rate and I simply suggested a program that does exactly that not only under MadVR but under everything, of course it does not detect the actual fps of what is going on screen, for that just use the built-in MPCHC autochange fullcreen monitor mode which in my case gives always the correct results even when MadVR fails
I said "activating/deactivating the most appropriate refresh rate for the currently playing video". I don't want to need to know the framerate of the video, I was just asking for a way to manually change the refresh rate to the correct one chosen by madVR whenever I want.

Last edited by ajp_anton; 1st December 2012 at 04:49.
Old 1st December 2012, 10:50   #15886  |  Link
omarank

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
You're using a GTX 260? I thought only >= GTX 660 Ti could handle madVR max settings...?
Well, I think cards >= GTX 260, >= GTX 460, >= GTX 560 and >= GTX 660 should all be able to handle these settings, at least for commercially available content. My TV has native resolution of 1360x768, so madVR always has to do either upscaling or downscaling. I have tested these settings on a variety of content and haven't encountered any serious drop in performance while rendering. GTX 260 has VP2 hardware decoder. It gives up on high bitrate (>100 Mbps) H264 videos, some VC1 videos and of course those fancy 1080p 60 fps and 4k videos.

Last edited by omarank; 1st December 2012 at 10:55.
omarank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 12:30   #15887  |  Link
pie1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by italospain View Post
Can you explain the enhancements exactly.

thanks.
Just like what I have mentioned, the de-ring and de-block processes with per-pixel-adaptive algorithms. It often needs high computation power, but old-day CPUs were not powerful enough. That's why almost no one design the CPU software-based solutions for MPEG2 decoder.

About the noise reduction and image sharpening (like Darbee), I think most people here don't like it unless it does not kill the details. Fortunately the nVidia Pure Video does a good job about these parts, too.

To my eyes that I can see nVidia's Pure Video MPEG-2 decoder indeed does better jobs on handling interlaced MPEG2 video of most DVD and HDTV contents. For very high bit-rate MPEG-2 (>= 20Mbps) and most H.264 HDTV contents, however, I agree that IQ difference is not so much between software and Pure Video decoders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarank View Post
This is really strange. I am too using a GTX 260 in an old system having Pentium D Processor. I also use CUDA for decoding videos. My system is able to handle all kinds of commercially available content with the following settings: chroma upscaling - Jinc 4 taps AR, image upscaling - Jinc 3 taps AR and image downscaling - Catmull Rom AR with Linear Light. My system fails (drop frames) only while playing 1080p 60 fps videos, 4k videos etc. For these files also, it is the hardware decoder which is not able to cope up. Do you have Antialiasing and Anisotropic filtering settings in NVIDIA Control Panel not set to "use 3D Application setting"?
You are right about Jinc3 AR mode on GTX260+ partially. I have retested some contents and just realized the exact cases which GTX260+ is overloaded. For progressive contents, GTX260+ has the enough computation power.

The frame dropping only happens to interlaced contents regardless of video content's format and resolution (720x480 ~ 1920x1080 4:2:0 30fps). So it looks like the pixel-adaptive deinterlacing algorithm on GTX260+ is very computation power demanding.

ps: You can set the card to output 1920x1080 resolution to check this. My TV is 1024x1080 interlaced PDP. But I still need to set it to send out 1920x1080 signal to have best IQ. The Hitachi engineers did different tricks on handling different signal resolution + refreh rates to utilize the panel's best characteristics for this TV.

Last edited by pie1394; 1st December 2012 at 15:59.
pie1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 13:52   #15888  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp_anton View Post
Could you add a keyboard shortcut for manually activating/deactivating the most appropriate refresh rate for the currently playing video?
Why? You're the first/only one requesting this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
I'm sure I've used MadVR before on this machine (with software decoding and hardware deinterlacing) and have never seen this error before, plus EVR does deinterlacing fine. I'm using the latest drivers.

Anything I can do? Provide a sample, or let you access my laptop remotely perhaps?
Anything you can do? Yes, send me your laptop...

Ok, if you say older madVR builds might have worked, you could try different older madVR builds to find out which exact version worked and with which exact build it stopped working. Then maybe I can do something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by secvensor View Post
Problems occured:
1.At adjustment the active mark on Jink in image upscaling vanishes.
This has been reported already, but I can't reproduce it on my PC. I need a detailed step-by-step instruction to reproduce the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by secvensor View Post
2.The new screenshot option through madvr does not keep influence of external active filters.
I'm not sure what you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
I've been killing time until PotP would support PS script with mVR, comparing screenshots between EVR/mVR/HR with the 6240 MPC build using the test pattern attached to this post(mediafire refuses to accept it and they've killed all my previous uploads of it, lemme know where else I could upload it if need be).

I could never get the same colors in mVR when using YV12 so I decided to output RGB32HQ from ffdshow, I've also disabled all color conversions in mVR.

That's without processing:

-EVR -HR -mVR

They're all identical

And that's with the stock "nightvision script" set on post-scaling, and this is:

-EVR
-mVR with my display set to 0-255
-mVR with my display set to 16-235

I might be doing something wrong! But if that's not the case, improving on the existing PS script support sounds like a great idea but atm getting the exact same colors as with EVR would prove to be extremely useful if any possible please.
I've looked at the nightvision script and found it to be badly written. It actually uses the alpha channel of the renderer output to calculate its colors, and it seems the EVR alpha channel has different data than the madVR alpha channel. The alpha channel is really totally nonsense and should not be used by any sane custom shader script. The current nightvision script has this line:

Code:
float c = dot(tex2D(s0, tex), float4(0.2, 0.6, 0.1, 0.1));
Replace this line with the following to remove the incorrect alpha channel use:
Code:
float c = dot(tex2D(s0, tex), float4(0.25, 0.65, 0.1, 0.0));
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 13:59   #15889  |  Link
thedragon1

hi madshi,
i'm new
i have a laptop (with Nvidia GF GT540M) and try to use madVR. When i played the video , madVR always ran on intel graphic card (HD 3000) and sometime it loaded full (100%) then crashed. Please tell me , how to use madVR for Nvidia card ?
Thanks.
p/s i tried to set high - performace Nvidia processor (Gobal setting) in Nvidia control panel but it's not work
win 8 pro x64
thedragon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 14:31   #15890  |  Link
wanezhiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedragon1 View Post
i have a laptop (with Nvidia GF GT540M) and try to use madVR. When i played the video , madVR always ran on intel graphic card (HD 3000)
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...ostcount=10533
wanezhiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 15:13   #15891  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjd View Post
..and if you check the footer you will see a 1080p tv listed so I would assume the scaling is actually nearest neighbour (no scaling)
Sorry but I don't get your message. :/
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 15:17   #15892  |  Link
thedragon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanezhiling View Post
it's work ^^ thanks for helping ^^
thedragon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 15:21   #15893  |  Link
ajp_anton

Quote:
Why? You're the first/only one requesting this.
Right now, for debugging the problem I'm having. Also you could more easily switch back and forth to see the difference (some screens allow non-60Hz input while still displaying at 60).

But for something actually useful - changing the refresh rate takes time and sometimes messes with background programs. When watching random short videos, I'd rather just stick to 60Hz, even in fullscreen.
IMO it fits nicely with the other on/off keyboard shortcuts already present.

Last edited by ajp_anton; 1st December 2012 at 15:25.
Old 1st December 2012, 15:45   #15894  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
I've looked at the nightvision script and found it to be badly written. It actually uses the alpha channel of the renderer output to calculate its colors, and it seems the EVR alpha channel has different data than the madVR alpha channel.
oops, will try

But as you can imagine the only script that REALLY matters to me at this point is the one that does gamut mapping from AVS, I will embed it within PotP automatic profiles based on frame rate and resolution, save PotP's configuration into an .ini file, make it read-only and roll it when rolling displays = masterplan to success

Its colors when using EVR/VMR9 match pretty much exactly ddcc() even though they both use completely different code AFAIK. There are only very slight differences in the <16 and >235 regions so if you don't crush BTB and WTW anymore as you explained earlier, they might very well end up perfectly identical I guess.

The other PS scripts that would matter to me would be mirroring (but nobody bothered writing one apparently) and levels conversion.....and that's me that my custom levels/gamut/matrix filename tag feature request will be implemented at some point

PS: so, when using the following gamut mapping script:
Code:
sampler s0 : register(s0);
float4 p0 : register(c0);

static float4x4 r2r =
{
0, 0, 0, 0
};

float4 main(float2 tex : TEXCOORD0) : COLOR
{
    float4 c0 = tex2D(s0, tex);
    c0 = pow(c0, 1/0.45);
    c0 = mul(r2r, c0);
    c0 = saturate(c0);
    c0 = pow(c0, 0.45);

return c0;
}
With the 6240 build of MPC, feeding RGB32HQ(dithering disabled in ffdshow) and this script set for post-resizing:

1) untouched:

EVR CP:

mVR(dithering and all color conversions disabled):

= identical

2) aforementioned script processed:

EVR CP:

mVR(dithering and all color conversions disabled):

= not identical

Last edited by leeperry; 1st December 2012 at 18:05.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 17:30   #15895  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
The other PS scripts that would matter would be mirroring (but nobody bothered writing one apparently)
Mirroring is extremely easy:

Code:

{
  return tex2D(s0, float2(1 - tex.x, tex.y));
}
Old 1st December 2012, 18:08   #15896  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Anything you can do? Yes, send me your laptop...

Ok, if you say older madVR builds might have worked, you could try different older madVR builds to find out which exact version worked and with which exact build it stopped working. Then maybe I can do something.
Hmmm...I can't find a previous build that works, even back to 0.61.

That leaves two possibilities: a problem with the latest driver, or MadVR deinterlacing has never worked on Arrandale.
Old 1st December 2012, 18:18   #15897  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

I think it probably never worked. Don't know why...
Old 1st December 2012, 18:18   #15898  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Mirroring is extremely easy:

Code:

{
  return tex2D(s0, float2(1 - tex.x, tex.y));
}
oh my oh my, very cool stuff!

I think someone should create a separate thread with easy access to PS scripts in the OP, much like the one they have on HCFR.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 19:58   #15899  |  Link
bjd

Quote:
Sorry but I don't get your message. :/
The point I was making if you are watching 1080p source on a 1080p screen and have MadVR set to use Jinc, it will default to nearest neighbour as there is no scaling to perform so rendering times are a lot lower.

On my GT430, Jinc4 upscaling (576p/720p24 -> 1080p24) renders in around 35-40ms which is too slow really.
Old 1st December 2012, 21:34   #15900  |  Link
pirlouy
_

It won't "default nearest neighbour", it will just do no image scaling (but still chroma scaling). But even if I take 576p or 720p, there's no noticeable difference in rendering time.
Indeed, your GT430 is not able to handle Jinc (but it's a very low market GPU), the same goes for Intel HD3000. My point was not to tell all GPU can handle Jinc, but no need to get latest expensive GPU to handle current cases (except if you're a perfectionist which adds several filters).
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling