Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors

Old 22nd April 2006, 09:46   #1  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

PgcEdit v7 discussion thread

PgcEdit v7.X discussion thread

Links to new versions within this thread:
Links to old discussion threads:

PgcEdit v8.0 is now released. See the new PgcEdit v8 thread.

Last edited by r0lZ; 23rd January 2007 at 09:34.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2006, 09:48   #2  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

PgcEdit v7.0 released!

PgcEdit v7.0 released!

As requested by many users (thanks, guys!) I have finally removed the useless leading "0." in the version number. The enormous gap between the latest official version 0.6.3.1 and this v7.0 doesn't mean that it's a particularly major upgrade, or that all bug are fixed.

Release notes:
  • A. Added a preview checkbox in the upper left corner of the main window. When ticked, selecting a PGC manually starts the preview automatically.
  • A. Menu Editor: New function "Edit -> Copy button position only" to copy the current button position. Paste it with "Paste Current Button".
  • A. Menu Editor: New functions "Button -> Increase / Decrease Button Number" to move the current button in the list of buttons.
  • A. New function Info -> Jumps from VMG to Current VTS to find out the global references to the current VTS. (This function doesn't show the references from the current VTS to itself.) Useful to verify if the last VTS is still referenced and to reroute the references before removing it.
  • A. Preview: In trace mode, it is now possible to blank the current cell from the preview window. In addition, when all cells of the current PGC are blanked, the user is prompted to kill the playback of the PGC.
  • A. Kill Playback: When killing the playback of a Title PGC, the user has now the option to blank all cells of the PGC, to easily strip the original cells later with FixVTS or VobBlanker. This function is similar to the option to remove the cells of a menu PGC and convert it to a dummy.
  • A. Added the menu Options -> Functions -> Kill PGC Playback -> Always remove or blank the PGC cells, to eliminate the dialog asking if the cells must be removed (for a Menu PGC) or blanked (for a Title PGC.)
  • A. PGC Editor: Added a function to delete all multi-angles cells, keeping only one angle. The Angle flags and First ILVU end value on the remaining cells are removed as well. It is then possible to strip the unused ILV cells from the VOB files with VobBlanker. It is necessary to remove all angles from the DVD or the domain that will be processed with VobBlanker, and to enable the "Fix Always VOB SYNCI/SRI Pointers in Titles" option!
    The same function can be used to remove the ILV flags and First ILVU End value in interleaved (mono-angle) PGCs.
  • A. PGC Editor -> Remove Cells: Added an option to keep the program numbers in sync with the original cells. However, when this option is enabled, it is possible that several PGs are pointing to the same cell. A warning is issued in this case, since this situation might be illegal.
  • A. Added the menu Tools -> FixVTS, to launch FixVTS with the first VOB of the current domain already loaded. Useful to strip the blanked cells from the VOBs after a cells blanking from the preview.
  • A. Domain Streams Attributes: It is now possible to remove the audio and subpic streams selectively in this dialog. The streams assignments in the PGCs of the current domain are also deleted automatically. The subsequent streams are automatically shifted if necessary. The SetSTN commands are NOT modified! (Note that this dialogue is now read-only when it is called from the PGC Editor.)
  • A. Changed the maximum number of chanels to 8 in the Audio parameters of the Domain Streams Attributes dialog, to take the new formats into account.
  • E. Calls Cross Reference and Go To Calling Command: A Root menu (that is normally callable with the remote) is now considered as unreferenced if all titles of the same VTS are unreferenced, or if all titles have the PUO to prohibit calling this menu. For the Subpic, Audio, Angle and PTT menus, all non-dummy PGCs of the same titleset are checked, including the menus. For the Title Menu, all non-dummy PGCs of the whole DVD are checked.
  • E. Burn DVD: Support for the new /TESTMODE option of ImgBurn 1.2.0.0 (for DVD-R only!)
  • E. Burn DVD: Added a button in the burn setup dialog to use the faster version of mkisofs.exe, now provided with PgcEdit (under Windows only.)
  • E. Burn DVD: Added a check to ensure that mkisofs.exe is properly configured in the Burn Setup dialog. Some guys used ImgTool.exe instead!
  • E. Burn DVD: Added an option to save automatically the Graph Data file for DVDInfoPro. The file is saved with the same name as the source ISO file, but with the .IBG extension. Requires ImgBurn 1.3 or more.
  • E. Burn DVD: Added new burn speeds in the speed selector dropdown menu.
  • E. Burn DL DVD: When a suitable cell cannot be found for the layer break, PgcEdit displays now in which cell the layer break should be. You can therefore easily use VobBlanker to split that cell.
  • E. Remap Title Numbers: Now, this function searches for SPRM(4:Title Number in Volume) in the VM commands of the DVD. If SPRM 4 is used, a warning is displayed, as it is dangerous to remap the title numbers in this case.
  • E. Menu Viewer/Edit Command button: In expert mode, the "Modify the command for the 2 (or 3) groups?" prompt is not displayed anymore, except when the original commands are not identical in all groups.
  • E. Read DVD: Added a check for illegal entries in VMG_TT_SRPT table (Title assigned to a non existing PGC or 2 Titles assigned to the same PGC.) If the bad Title is the last one in the table, it is optionally removed, but the user must still fix the VM commands, if needed.
  • E. When loading a new DVD, the Fix number of streams in VMGM/VTSI_MAT tables function do not prompt the user any more to fix the Menu domains with one subpic stream defined but never used by the menu PGCs, because it's legal and frequent on commercial DVDs, and this warning confused some users. However, this check is still made when the Fix number of streams is called from the "DVD" menu, and when opening the Domain Streams Attributes GUI.
  • E. When loading the DVD, the End Byte pointers of the tables are now verified whenever possible to avoid stupid crashes with badly authored DVDs.
  • E. PGC Editor: When editing a menu PGC, only one audio and one subpic stream is now displayed, since more streams in the menu domain is illegal.
  • F. PGC Editor - Create New Cell: Disabling the option to create the backup of the VOB file did not work.
  • F. The "New 'Play All' PGC" function was broken. Also, there is now a check to warn the user if the number of programs in the new PGC is greater than 127 or the number of chapters greater than 99.
  • F. The target of some Jump_VTS_TT and Jump_VTS_PTT was not found by the find target routine. This caused some bugs in the Go to calling command, Calls cross references, Find jumps to nowhere, Jump to target and Highlight target functions.
  • F. Trace: When the Title Menu button is pressed during playback of a VTSM menu PGC, the Title menu is now called. Previously, a Resume to Title was made. The correct behaviour in this case is uncertain, because the specs are not clear on this subject, but this behaviour seems logical and many players (though not all!) are doing this. A resume is still issued when the Title menu is pressed during playback of a VMGM menu PGC.
  • F. Trace: Small bug fixed: when a cell command was reached, it was necessary to execute it twice, and the command was logged twice as well. However, the cell command was simulated only once.
  • F. Small bug in the Jump To PGC Upon DVD Insert function, introduced in 0.6.3 fixed: the resume cell of the CallSS command inserted in the beginning of the pre-commands of the resume title was wrong.
  • F. Fixed a bug in the Info -> Jumps from VMG to Current VTS function. The Prev/Next/GoUpPGCN links of the current VTS were wrongly displayed.
  • F. Burn DL DVD: When burning a DL DVD saved by DVD Remake v3.4 (without first resaving it with PgcEdit), the computation of the layer break position was wrong. To fix this problem, the DVD (including single-layer DVDs) are saved automatically when the burn function is started.
  • W. Added several workarounds for a (possible) bug in TitleWriter: TitleWriter assigns several Title numbers to the same PGC. Now, PgcEdit should support this strange (if not illegal) way to use the VMG_TT_SRPT table.
  • W. Under Windows XP, the Windows command TSKill.exe is now used instead of PSKill.exe (which caused false positive warnings of some picky anti-virus programs). However, PSKill is still used when TSKill is not found. (The kill executable is used only by the Burn DVD function to abort the creation of the ISO image when the user clicks on the Cancel button.)

Have fun!
Old 22nd April 2006, 10:46   #3  |  Link
Humpty Dumpty

Wow!

Thank you, rOlZ!
Humpty Dumpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2006, 11:26   #4  |  Link
CoNS
reMember

Thanks a lot, r0lZ...

version 7.0 ... or 0.7 ?!?

EDIT: Ah, I saw the text on the PgcEdit homepage: "I am tired of this leading 0. in the version number. So, v0.6.3.1 is followed directly by v7.0!)" and in the post above! Normally you would move to v1.0 in this case, no? Thanks again for the new version, anyway!!

EDIT 2: I found a HUGE bug in the new version. It says "April 21, 2005" everywhere.

Last edited by CoNS; 22nd April 2006 at 11:42.
CoNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2006, 12:26   #5  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Oops! Not sure it is needed to change that, but I will do it anyway. Thanks.

[EDIT: OK, the "huge bug" is fixed. I have uploaded a new version dated April 22, 2006. The version number is still 7.0.]

Last edited by r0lZ; 22nd April 2006 at 12:43.
Old 22nd April 2006, 17:17   #6  |  Link
dirio49
JuSt a PoWer uSEr

thanks at ton. r0lZ
Old 22nd April 2006, 20:18   #7  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

YEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH BABY!!!!!! Cool man! great program, I am actually beginning to comprehend DVDs in all there complexity.
Thanks dude! You kick ass, r0lZ!
Old 22nd April 2006, 21:32   #8  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks for your enthousiasm, Merlin7777 aka "Beginning to Understand"! BTW, have you tried the trace mode? It's useful to understand how the navigation works.

And thanks also to you, Humpty Dumpty, CoNS and dirio49!
Old 22nd April 2006, 22:25   #9  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

You know, I haven't really tried the trace mode. I don't understand how it works. Hahahahah!!!!!

Seriously, I will look into it. I am sure there is a description or guide to it around here some where. When I turn it on, things blink and windows open. Yay!
Huh, I will try out the trace mode and follow that link about DVD Glossary terms on you website. Thanks for you work man! You rule!
Old 23rd April 2006, 07:52   #10  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

More brilliancy from you r0lZ. Many many many thanks!!!

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2006, 08:53   #11  |  Link
Guddi

Thanks for the great work! This prog is a true lifesaver...
Guddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2006, 08:53   #12  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin7777
You know, I haven't really tried the trace mode. I don't understand how it works. Hahahahah!!!!!
Go to trace mode and click the Run button. That's all. Simple, no?
Oh, yes, there are some things to learn if you want to become a power user, but that's not requested by the PgcEdit license agreement! Hahahahah!!!!!
Old 23rd April 2006, 15:03   #13  |  Link
jsoto
Just a Member

A new toy!. Thanks, r0lZ.

jsoto
jsoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2006, 15:41   #14  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

r0lZ your changelog was so extensive (and intimidating) that I hesitated to try the new version. But it is very comfortable and worked perfectly with my usual workflow (I like to "Jump to PGC" and "Kill Playback" of stuff on my backups).

Anyway it continues to work great so
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2006, 15:51   #15  |  Link
AlienX69
Interstellar Traveler

First, PgcEdit RULES !!!!! Donated yesterday, hope everyone else does the same to keep this GREAT tool supported !!!

Now the dumb Alien has a question ?
I saw the following in the 7.0 Ver History
==============================================
A. Preview: In trace mode, it is now possible to blank the current cell from the preview window. In addition, when all cells of the current PGC are blanked, the user is prompted to kill the playback of the PGC.
==============================================
I have always wanted to Blank single cells in a Title set without blanking ALL the cells and without having to run VOBB afterwards. Like in the case where the FBI cell resides in the same VTS as the Main movie (see attach)

The preview window still looks the same, looks like no change, my version is v2.3 (see attached). I deleted the PgcEdit \bin folder and let it recreate from the PgcEdit v7.0 EXE. Still the same .....

Please walk the dumb Alien through this as I would really like to learn how to blank single cells in a VTS.

THX
AX
Attached Images

AlienX69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2006, 16:50   #16  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

You have to do it in Trace mode. For technical reasons, I cannot add the blank cell feature in the preview when it is not running in trace mode.
Of course, you can also remove the cell, or blank it from the PGC Editor. (To blank it, use the VOB/Cell ID button, and select the "Create a new blank VOB cell" option.)
Of course, to remove the old, unreferenced cell from the VOB files, you have to process the domain with VobBlanker or FixVTS.

Thanks for your donation!
Old 23rd April 2006, 17:22   #17  |  Link
AlienX69
Interstellar Traveler

Well the dumb Alien still is lost ...I use trace 90% of the time ... "->>Next PB" for the first run through .... Kill or Blank as reqd, then I mark the movie with Ctrl+Shift+T to do a First Play .. Then I do a second run with "->>>Run", then "Jump to PGC upon DVD insert"

During all of the above Trace steps I still did not see in the preview window where I could blank a cell ? ? ? Am I suppose to see a NEW button on the Preview window ? Sorry for being so DUMB !!!!

EDIT: I use the ~ to Open/Start the Preview Window
EDIT2: I forgot to mention, yesterday when I DL the .zip version, it was ver 0.6.3 inside ?

PS: I do understand the second method you mentioned

AX

Again, I can't say thanks enough for this GREAT tool ... I would be lost without it !!!!!

Last edited by AlienX69; 23rd April 2006 at 17:43.
Old 23rd April 2006, 18:05   #18  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Well, if you are still using v0.6.3, you will not have the blank cell checkbox in the preview. Download v7 again, and retry.

Also, you must use the preview from the trace, not with the ~ key. Enable the automatic preview mode with the play checkbox to the right of the trace menus, and run the trace.
In trace mode, each cell is played one at a time. In the preview window, you can enable the "Blank this cell" checkbox to blank the current cell.
Old 23rd April 2006, 18:33   #19  |  Link
AlienX69
Interstellar Traveler

I am using 7, what I meant in the previous post is I first DL'd the .zip, when I opened/installed ... it was still version 0.6.3, I then DL'd the .exe one and then I got ver 7.0 (yesterday) .....

But now that you clarified that I was checking the WRONG check box I now see the LIGHT !!!!!!!

THX ... rOlZ .... you RULE !!!!! Keep up the GREAT work !!!

Attached a .jpg for others to view if they need to know how to use this NEW feature (check box in the bottom right)

AX

EDIT: All this time I've been using ~ ..... Dumb Alien
Attached Images

Last edited by AlienX69; 24th April 2006 at 00:53.
Old 24th April 2006, 00:49   #20  |  Link
tomlomeo

Dear r01Z....i just installed your new version of PgcEdit v 7.0..I've been following a guide on how to make a simple menu for, let's say 2 or 3 movies that were reauthored with Dvd Shrink..... can you recommend a simple guide to accomplish just this issue.....since i can to different chapters and subtitles with my remote control....thank you
tomlomeo is offline   Reply With Quote