Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th March 2014, 23:50   #24401  |  Link
MistahBonzai

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSunrise View Post
So there definitely is some change in behaviour from 0.87.4, which breaks still images for me.

I used these settings:
(1) enable "delay playback start until render queue is full"
(2) disable "enable smooth motion frame rate conversion"

Otherwise still images donīt work at all.
Image display works fine for me with "enable smooth motion frame rate conversion" not selected. Otherwise I get a black 'image' and I've not found a way to deactivate it other than close madVR.

You seem to know your way around utilizing madVR as an image viewer... I love the imagining process options that it opens up :-) So..is there a simple way of incrementing through images in a folder with a simple key push or click? I've googled and keep coming up empty...
MistahBonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 23:55   #24402  |  Link
Ceremony

Uuuh updates! Always nice! Thanks for new features and fixed!

Also, since my machine can probably handle it: Are there any special requirements (additional software, configuration) to use NEEDI3 for chroma or luma upsampling/doubling, as I get either all black luma/chroma channels or a frozen luma channel... Or lots of green.
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 00:03   #24403  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Uuuh updates! Always nice! Thanks for new features and fixed!

Also, since my machine can probably handle it: Are there any special requirements (additional software, configuration) to use NEEDI3 for chroma or luma upsampling/doubling, as I get either all black luma/chroma channels or a frozen luma channel... Or lots of green.
Are you perhaps using an Nvidia GPU? In that case you need to downgrade to the 327.23 driver, in the newer ones OpenCL doesn't work for some reason.
Shiandow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 00:21   #24404  |  Link
pirlouy
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by secvensor View Post
pirlouy
I use it as a base on 1600x1200@100mhz
Ok. You'll see a lot of people don't use NNEDI3 chroma upscaling because GPU is needed for other tasks. At least, I would not force Smooth Motion Rate always enable. The default setting is the recommended one.

Your 2nd screenshot is surprising, it looks like NNEDI3 is not used (5.12ms for 4x NNEDI3 256 seems unlikely)
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 00:27   #24405  |  Link
Ceremony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiandow View Post
Are you perhaps using an Nvidia GPU? In that case you need to downgrade to the 327.23 driver, in the newer ones OpenCL doesn't work for some reason.
awesome nvidia... Guess I'll downgrade then
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 00:37   #24406  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Indeed, it is related to smooth motion. If I disable it, still images at least show again. However, if I let the still image on for a couple of seconds, it suddenly disappears and I have a black screen again. It seems madVR 0.87.5 for some reason empties the queues after a couple of seconds, even after both keep being filled with 0.87.4.
Older madVR versions kept showing the last video frame, even after playback stopped. This is probably what you're seeing with v0.87.4. Beginning with v0.87.5 madVR now clears the video view when playback is stopped. That's probably why the screen goes black for you. This is "as intended". I understand that it's not ideal for image viewing, but then, in stopped state none of the changes you do in the madVR settings have an effect, anymore. Basically the last frame is "frozen". If you resize the media player, the frame gets stretched/distorted. So what v0.87.4 (and older) did was really not nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolfy View Post
Thanks for the new build but your workaround for FSE mode in Windows 8 doesn't work for me. It still swiths to 23.976Hz instead of 24.000Hz. The only difference I can see is when my screen is set to 60.000Hz and when I go in fullscreen, for a few seconds madVR tells my screen is in 0.000Hz and I have a lot of stutters. After a few seconds, everything works fine but it's set at 23.976Hz.

I'm under Windows 8 Pro 64 bits and I have a Geforce GTX660 327.23
Strange. It works for me in Windows 8 x64 with AMD and Intel, and another user already reported that it works for him in Windows 8 with an NVidia GPU. Anyway, can you please post a debug log where you get an incorrect refresh rate with madVR? Please let playback run for as long as necessary, until the refresh rate indicator in the debug OSD shows a first measurement. Then stop the media player and zip&upload the log somewhere. Thanks.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 00:57   #24407  |  Link
Mangix
Audiophile

I'm noticing something strange on a file that I'm playing - if i run it at 60Hz (SM on) then render times are around 9ms. If I on the other hand run it at 24Hz (SM off) then render times shoot up to 19ms. Any idea why?
Mangix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 01:01   #24408  |  Link
Werewolfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Strange. It works for me in Windows 8 x64 with AMD and Intel, and another user already reported that it works for him in Windows 8 with an NVidia GPU. Anyway, can you please post a debug log where you get an incorrect refresh rate with madVR? Please let playback run for as long as necessary, until the refresh rate indicator in the debug OSD shows a first measurement. Then stop the media player and zip&upload the log somewhere. Thanks.
Of course, here the debug log : https://www.mediafire.com/?6vqi2i5e3ng0ya7
Werewolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 01:02   #24409  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangix View Post
I'm noticing something strange on a file that I'm playing - if i run it at 60Hz (SM on) then render times are around 9ms. If I on the other hand run it at 24Hz (SM off) then render times shoot up to 19ms. Any idea why?
Maybe your GPU clocks down when doing 24p playback?
Old 7th March 2014, 01:16   #24410  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolfy View Post
Of course, here the debug log : https://www.mediafire.com/?6vqi2i5e3ng0ya7
Hmmm... According to the log, my hooks are installed correctly, but they do are not called somehow. Weird. It seems you've configured madVR to switch the display mode in the moment when you go fullscreen? What happens if you switch at the start of playback? Does that change anything? Probably not, just wondering...
Old 7th March 2014, 01:20   #24411  |  Link
MistahBonzai

Image display with SM-FRC not selected - can minimize/maximize w/o loosing image.

Quote:
Older madVR versions kept showing the last video frame, even after playback stopped. This is probably what you're seeing with v0.87.4. Beginning with v0.87.5 madVR now clears the video view when playback is stopped. That's probably why the screen goes black for you. This is "as intended". I understand that it's not ideal for image viewing, but then, in stopped state none of the changes you do in the madVR settings have an effect, anymore. Basically the last frame is "frozen". If you resize the media player, the frame gets stretched/distorted. So what v0.87.4 (and older) did was really not nice.
As noted earlier I can display an image (drag/drop into MPC-HC) using madVR with SM-FRC disabled via FSE. I can then minimize/maximize it repeatedly without loosing the image. The display does seem to briefly 'hitch' when maximizing. I assumed that was somehow due to FSE. I've captured a screen crop with the status info.

Win7 (sp1) 64-bit.
i7-3770 64-bit.
HD-7850.
MPC-HC 1.7.3.88.
LAV 0.61.0.0.
madVR v0.87.5.
XySubFilter 3.1.0.682.
Sony KDL 40W3000 (1080P/59.976)
MistahBonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 01:28   #24412  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
madVR v0.87.6 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* fixed: #090: FSE mode switched to 23Hz instead of 24Hz in Windows 8
* fixed: #127: crash when jumping to next video file on secondary monitor
* fixed: #173: overlay: exiting multiple windows in same order -> black screen
* madTPG now forces ordered dither, but you can en/disable colored & dynamic
* added support for new subtitle API ISubRenderConsumer2::Clear()
To be honest, I hadn't planned to release a new official build so quickly, but I've fixed two important bugs (one crash, one overlay related) and found one very important improvement. So I thought it would be worth a new build. The improvement is that FSE mode should hopefully work with the correct refresh rates now even in Windows 8 and 8.1. So you can finally use 23.976Hz, 24.000Hz, 59.940Hz and 60.000Hz again, and madVR should happily switch to exactly the refresh rate you want. At least it seems to work on my AMD GPU, while all older builds didn't. I think it should work for NVidia and Intel, too.

(Of course the refresh rate problem was - and still is - a serious bug in Windows 8. I've just hacked my way around it now.)
Oh thank you thank you for the refresh fix for 8.1. Watch...now that you've worked around it, the stupid update 1 coming out in a month will break it again.
Old 7th March 2014, 01:43   #24413  |  Link
Kalanoch

With the new builds (0.87.5 and 0.87.6), mpc-hc 1.7.3 (and 1.7.1) crashes immediately upon opening about 90% of the numerous video files I've tested it with. Sometimes it pops ups a "please wait a moment" dialog box (the madVR crash reporter I think, but it doesn't get a chance to finish) right before crashing. There doesn't appear to be any immediately noticeable pattern as to why some videos work but the vast majority do not. Some files will open and play fine once, but then closing and opening a second time results in a crash. Some will always work. At first I thought it was a xy-subfilter problem, but it will crash even on files that have no subtitles. If I revert back to 0.87.4, all of the problems go away.

Running Windows 7, nVidia GTX 670 with 327.23 drivers.

Edit: This is definitely an issue with windowed overlay. Disabling windowed overlay makes the new builds work correctly without crashing, but since my present times are terrible and I sometimes get frame drops if I don't use windowed overlay, that is not a workaround that I can use.

Last edited by Kalanoch; 7th March 2014 at 01:51.
Kalanoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 01:53   #24414  |  Link
seiyafan

More results:

seiyafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 02:11   #24415  |  Link
iSunrise

Quote:
Yes, Iīve read up on that when you posted 0.87.5, didnīt realize that it would effect still images, though, so thanks for the clarification. That would also explain why pausing the player doesnīt work, because the playback already stops instantly after I opened the image for madVR to display it.

Iīve also found the possible cause of why I cannot display the TIF still image in madVR, while other images like PNG generally seem to work. It seems to be related to PotPlayer. I even did a complete re-install to the current version to be sure. MPC-HC works just fine. For some strange reason PotPlayer clears the screen (the last frame shown), while MPC-HC doesnīt. Now what would you say is the "correct" behaviour? Shouldnīt playback stop clear the screen? Because in that case, PotPlayer would behave correctly, while MPC-HC doesnīt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBonzai View Post
As noted earlier I can display an image (drag/drop into MPC-HC) using madVR with SM-FRC disabled via FSE....
Found out that the issues I have are PotPlayer-related. MPC-HC works just fine, even without enabling the delay playback start setting.

Quote:
...You seem to know your way around utilizing madVR as an image viewer... I love the imagining process options that it opens up :-) So..is there a simple way of incrementing through images in a folder with a simple key push or click? I've googled and keep coming up empty...
Well, I mainly use it for testing purposes, in the case of madVR gaining new features like dithering, still images can be quite helpful in some cases.

Now, what you want to do is entirely up to the media player itself. If the media player supports directly skipping to the next file in the current directory, madVR will display it.

MPC-HC seems to support what you want, you can use PgUp/PgDn for that, while PotPlayer seems to require you to load the files into the playlist directly, before you can browse through them.

EDIT: Correction after double-checking.

Last edited by iSunrise; 7th March 2014 at 02:43.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 02:33   #24416  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Now, what you want to do is entirely up to the media player itself. If the media player supports directly skipping to the next file in the current directory, madVR will display it. However, neither MPC-HC nor PotPlayer seem to support that. The only thing you can do right now is to add them to a playlist and then (in the case of PotPlayer) press PgUp/PgDn to browse through them.
Both PotPlayer and MPC-HC support loading the next file with PgUp/PgDn.
Old 7th March 2014, 02:44   #24417  |  Link
andybkma

Noob question time: Since we are on the subject of dithering with the recent mVR build, I noticed that LAV Video also has two dithering options, Ordered & Random with Random being the default. Since it seems that "Ordered Dithering" is new and is now the default option for mVR should we change LAV also to Ordered or leave it at the default of Random? Cheers

Last edited by andybkma; 7th March 2014 at 08:46.
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 02:45   #24418  |  Link
iSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiandow View Post
Both PotPlayer and MPC-HC support loading the next file with PgUp/PgDn.
Are you sure? Because after re-testing both players, there definitely seems to be a difference of functionality. MPC-HC can directly browse through the directory with PgUp/PgDn, while PotPlayer can only do that by adding the files from a directory to the playlist.

Iīve also edited my previous post.

Last edited by iSunrise; 7th March 2014 at 02:49.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 02:49   #24419  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Quote:
You seem to know your way around utilizing madVR as an image viewer... I love the imagining process options that it opens up :-) So..is there a simple way of incrementing through images in a folder with a simple key push or click? I've googled and keep coming up empty...
Well, I mainly use it for testing purposes, in the case of madVR gaining new features like dithering, still images can be quite helpful in some cases.

Now, what you want to do is entirely up to the media player itself. If the media player supports directly skipping to the next file in the current directory, madVR will display it. However, neither MPC-HC nor PotPlayer seem to support that. The only thing you can do right now is to add them to a playlist and then (in the case of PotPlayer) press PgUp/PgDn to browse through them.
Zoom Player supports incrementing though images a folder. It also has a built-in file browser OSD. You may need to set "On Playlist Complete" to Auto-Rewind to prevent it from stopping playback and closing madVR, for the images to be displayed though.

Quote:
it seems only MPC-HC can directly browse through the directory with PgUp/PgDn
This doesn't work for me with Images, only Videos.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 02:51   #24420  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Are you sure? There definitely seems to be a difference of functionality. Because after re-testing both players, it seems only MPC-HC can directly browse through the directory with PgUp/PgDn, while PotPlayer can only do that by adding the files from a directory to the playlist.
PotPlayer can do it as well, although for some reason it isn't the default setting. You need to go to Preferences->Playback and then enable "load previous/next item in play folder".

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling