Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 24th May 2005, 12:06   #81  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Beta 17 is up, with minor bugfixes.

@Longinus: try now, set "skip first" to 0 and see if it processes all frames.
ai4spam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2005, 16:25   #82  |  Link
Esc

Thanks for the quick response.
2) My OEM language is russian. The letter I was trying to use is not from there but from french. It's an e with a stroke above it from the default charset. But I thought that should not be a problem since you can select the charset for the subtitles. I saw a field like that in VSfilter.
When I tried to put that character on a button, it came as a question mark.
So what are you saying? I cannot have a character unless it is included in my OEM charset? That's sad.
Esc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2005, 17:00   #83  |  Link
zuggy

Quote:
Originally posted by Esc
2) My OEM language is russian. The letter I was trying to use is not from there but from french. It's an e with a stroke above it from
subrip doesn't support unicode (atm) like vsfilter does. That means you can only use fonts of Windows-installed language-support. If you install the french language layout, you'll see stroked e.
zuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2005, 20:34   #84  |  Link
Longinus

Quote:
Originally posted by ai4spam
Beta 17 is up, with minor bugfixes.
@Longinus: try now, set "skip first" to 0 and see if it processes all frames.
YAyy!
Now it works. Thank you very much for making it work soo fast (and probably something that only I will use, ever).

Again, thank you.
Longinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2005, 07:43   #85  |  Link
Kaiousama
Italian Doom9 Staff

Quote:
subrip doesn't support unicode (atm) like vsfilter does
In order to add Unicode support to subrip you need to accomplish 3 tasks:

1) change all strings declarations to widestring.
2) change all string-related function callings to the equivalent widestring-processing function. please refer to this link for useful informations.
3) change your input/visualization controls to the equivalent TntUnicodeControl (this open-source collection of unicode controls and unicode helper-functions can be downloaded from here )

I hope you are interested in supporting unicode in subrip since this application is very useful.
Old 25th May 2005, 08:15   #86  |  Link
zuggy

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiousama
In order to add Unicode support to subrip you need to accomplish 3 tasks:
Yep, I use TntUnicode already in other projects... But that means subrip will run ("only") on nt-based systems properly.
Old 25th May 2005, 09:03   #87  |  Link
Kaiousama
Italian Doom9 Staff

Quote:
But that means subrip will run ("only") on nt-based systems properly.
Unicode works properly only on unicode-supporting OS (>=winNT), running SubRip in older OS will limit its use on ANSI strings only.

Is quite phisiological this behaviour, the good thing is that you don't need separate builds for unicode and non-unicode like C/C++ (VSFilter etc..) if you use TntUnicode.

P.S. did you plan to refactor the current spaghetti-programming stle of subrip code in something more Object Oriented-style? (is quite a pain searching for something in its code).

Last edited by Kaiousama; 25th May 2005 at 09:05.
Kaiousama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2005, 09:24   #88  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Well, I've started moving to Tnt for unicode support, but it will take a while. It's unlikely that we'll start overhauling the spaghetti code, it's just too much work.
Old 25th May 2005, 10:04   #89  |  Link
zuggy

Quote:
Well, I've started moving to Tnt.
You will be lost in code while porting it into tnt!!! ...postocr correction, while-running string correction, lng files, subtitle files, ... - all have to be unicode.

And anyway is there some other tool than vsfilter that support (reading) unicode/utf subtitles?
Old 25th May 2005, 11:01   #90  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Well, controls and such aren't that bad. A new char matrix format is also needed (no biggie, working on it). The problem is saving to text, since each language has its own conventions for mapping 2-byte unicode to 1-byte ansi.
I'm thinking of adding a file like "Language.tbl" for each language, with rows of the form:
<ansi index (0..255)>:<unicode 2-byte char>
SubRip would revert to just truncating the second byte if the file for the current language is not present.
Old 25th May 2005, 12:44   #91  |  Link
zuggy

Quote:
"Language.tbl"
There are functions for this conversion --> jedi vcl.
Old 26th May 2005, 14:56   #92  |  Link
Esc

Quote:
Originally posted by zuggy
Yep, I use TntUnicode already in other projects... But that means subrip will run ("only") on nt-based systems properly.
It already doesn't run on DOS. So... life is moving on.

Quote:
Well, controls and such aren't that bad. A new char matrix format is also needed (no biggie, working on it). The problem is saving to text, since each language has its own conventions for mapping 2-byte unicode to 1-byte ansi.
I'm thinking of adding a file like "Language.tbl" for each language, with rows of the form:
<ansi index (0..255)>:<unicode 2-byte char>
SubRip would revert to just truncating the second byte if the file for the current language is not present.
I utterly support this decision! And maybe the language for conversion could default to Windows setting but be selectable. Since I use Russian OEM setting for tons of older programs, but my DVD subtitles are always in English (I am living in Texas now) with occasional appearance of non-English characters in foreign words like fiancée or naïve (hopefully you'll get these symbols correct). It's no biggie but I always wanted to keep them, being a total showoff as I am.
Esc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2005, 19:10   #93  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

@Esc: Not to rain on your parade, but you must be doing something wrong: I'm able to use "special" characters and even diacritics for some languages with no problems. Try switching the language in the OCR window and entering special characters by pressing one of the 20 buttons below the text box. This way, the current version of SubRip works without conversions in my case. Make sure your charset is the default one, then your saved files should look ok, in NotePad (with special characters).

Anyway, SubRip 1.30 with UniCode support is some 90% done, I'm ironing out the final details on ANSI-UniCode conversion for legacy ANSI support. This one will be in beta stage for a while, since by making so many changes I might have broken something.

Last edited by ai4spam; 26th May 2005 at 20:40.
Old 27th May 2005, 07:09   #94  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Does anyone have an example of UniCode subtitles that VSfilter reads? For some reason, I can't get VSfilter to work to test my own homebrew format (2-byte UniCode chars with a $FF$FE in front, as Word/NotePad saves them).
Please send them over to my email (same id @gmail), and reply here so I know I need to read it.
Thanks.

Last edited by ai4spam; 27th May 2005 at 07:20.
Old 27th May 2005, 07:50   #95  |  Link
zuggy

Quote:
Does anyone have an example
Here is one, produced by vobsub: http://zuggy.wz.cz/UnicodeSRT.zip
Old 27th May 2005, 08:14   #96  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Thanks, it looks like I was right. Now SubRip can read these kind of files, I still need to implement saving. There was so much other stuff that needed to be changed (like corrections, etc) that it looks this one will really be in beta for a while, until all the bugs I may have introduced are found and fixed .
Old 27th May 2005, 12:24   #97  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

Finally, 1.30 Beta 1 is up on the website. It introduces experimental UniCode support. Basically, you need to change the CharSet for "irregular" characters to show up. The CodePage is used for conversions when loading/saving ANSI files. And for other things like displaying the right captions on buttons. Files are saved by default as ANSI. When a file has "irregular" characters, you get a choice to save it as UniCode, or try converting it to ANSI using the current CodePage. The CodePage changes automatically when you select a charset, but you may also change it independently (sometimes the default ANSI codepage 1252 works best). Bear in mind hat only VSfilter UniCode supports UniCode subtitles, so save as ANSI if you have a choice, then check to see if you have the right conversion.
I've only tested .srt input and output, so other formats may be broken. Please test and notify us here.
Also, I think it's time the translations got an update. If anyone wants to update some language file, notify others here, then send the file to zuggy.

PS (for the 20 people who downloaded so far): My bad, I didn't test the clipboard properly. Please download again.

Last edited by ai4spam; 27th May 2005 at 21:49.
Old 27th May 2005, 14:30   #98  |  Link
bourtzovlakas
dvd.stuff.gr moderator

Thanks for the new version....
Is v.1.20 beta 17 being declared 1.20 Final?
bourtzovlakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2005, 15:18   #99  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

[OT]
Is it just me or the server of http://zuggy.wz.cz/ is very slow ? can't download the lastest beta...

Why not move SubRip at SourceForge or Berlios or anything else ?
[/OT]
Kurtnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2005, 19:49   #100  |  Link
ai4spam
Programmer

@burtzovlakas: I fixed a couple of other bugs in the meantime. I guess I could go and fix them in 1.20 too, then declare it final. The idea is to have people heavily test 1.30 for bugs I may have introduced, then move to it if it behaves nicely. I'm particularly interested if it still works under Win98 and WinME, and whether the Charset/CodePage combinations I set in by default work for all languages.

@Kurtnoise13: It may very well be, with people downloading it like crazy. SourceForge requires some maintenance effort that neither I nor zuggy have the time for at the moment. We may consider it in the future.

Last edited by ai4spam; 27th May 2005 at 21:09.