Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Linux, Mac OS X, & Co
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd December 2002, 14:30   #1  |  Link
Master Ki Adi Mundi

Anyone using mplayer on a framebuffer?

Anyone using mplayer on a framebuffer rather than in X windows. This is possible, right? I am also wondering about the framebuffer / TV Out combination using something like a Matrox or similar.
Old 22nd December 2002, 14:43   #2  |  Link
blixi

I have used it with fbdev and directfb. So it is possible and have a good quality. If you want to use tv-out a matrox G400 is the preferable card, since it is very good suported by mplayer (the main developer is using a G400 as I've read.)

On other cards vesa-out should be a solution and on nvidia nvtvd & fb/directfb is worth a try.

Hope this helps a littlebit ...

Greets

Steffen
blixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2002, 19:50   #3  |  Link
Nosferatu
script kiddie

I was using VESA & FBDeV quite long time, but switched to Xv for good.
Both VESA & FBDeV are outdated and very slow.
FbDeV detects my Geforce as Riva TNT....no comment
If you decide to use VESA you're condemned for software scaling. F.g. you want to view movies in fullscreen mode:
./mplayer -vo vesa -vc ffodivx -screenw 1024 -screenh 768 -zoom -sws 2 -x 1024 -y <from equation below> /root/x.avi
If movie has 2.35 aspect ratio then y=1024/2.35....these calculations may be annoying for impatient people.
Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2002, 02:46   #4  |  Link
Master Ki Adi Mundi

Thanks for the replies. I assume that using the TV out on the GeForce provides a full overscan output?
Old 31st December 2002, 11:34   #5  |  Link
((( atom )))
noise is all around us...

@nosferatu:
strange.. when i use -vo vesa -fs -zoom with my tnt2-card it scales every movie with the right aspects to fullscreen and uses the least processing-power of all -vo, so my conclusion is, that that actually enables hw-scaling for my card. (tnt2)

my mplayer runs on a amd k62/400 and with software-scaling there is no way to play a 4:3 movie with res 512:xxx. blows the processor to a 100% and stutters like bob. with vesa it stays around 50%-60%, so thats a sign.

also i experienced very nice quality with both fbdev and vesa.

have you tried these settings? either the result differs enormously from card to card - wich might be - or you condemned you machine to software-scaling with -sws.

also my recommodation in terms of stability is vesa and fbdev, but different people make different experiences.

regards
Old 2nd January 2003, 16:08   #6  |  Link
Rasi

I never was able to watch a movie in fullscreen with fbdev...

always it adds black borders around the original size... só there is no scaling.

vesa didnt work either... could only start it as root.. guess that is normal, but play back doesnt start at all...

maybe the commandline is wrong?

mplayer -vo vesa -fs -zoom bla.avi
Rasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2003, 17:23   #7  |  Link
((( atom )))

@rasi

sounds like your framebuffer is set to a resolution above 640x480. when you keep it right at 640x480 you can watch every movie with that res. in fullscreen without problems.

nice one: if you load the framebuffer as a module and not with lilo, you can afterwards set different resolutions for each console. this way you don't have to stick with the uncomfortable 640x480 for the rest of your doings. also i figured, that when there is a specific framebuffer for you card, loading it sets up the correct mtrr-registers, wich really can boost up performance quite a bit and might enable you to use software-scaling sith your framebuffer also on slow machines in order to get fullscreen-output.

you commandline btw is ok and should actually work. what graficscard are you using? when it refuses to play back, what is it telling you? if it tells you nothing - most unlikely - try and put strace in front of your commandline and try to analyse the output. strace very often helps to fix problems..
Old 3rd January 2003, 01:47   #8  |  Link
Nosferatu
script kiddie

Quote:
Originally posted by ((( atom )))
@nosferatu:
strange.. when i use -vo vesa -fs -zoom with my tnt2-card it scales every movie with the right aspects to fullscreen and uses the least processing-power of all -vo...
Options -fs & -zoom give you correct aspect ratio ?
I guess I'm using outdated MPlayer
Actually SDL & Xv use least proccessing power of all video output drivers available in MPlayer.
Option -sws <value> is only software scaler type and value 3 gives experimental, fastest, high quality resizer.
I used software scaling only with VESA, situation is a bit different with FbDeV which has to be set up during kernel configuration and resolution of the console may be changed in lilo.conf
F.g. vga=791 means 1024x768x256 mode and etc...
Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2003, 05:41   #9  |  Link
((( atom )))

Quote:
situation is a bit different with FbDeV which has to be set up during kernel configuration and resolution of the console may be changed in lilo.conf
nope! -didn't get my post? lets say your card-specific framebuffer is called atyfb (for ati-cards) simply do modprobe atyfb and: voila - framebuffer switches on with mtrr set up. now all you have to do is edit /etc/fb.modes and there change the color-depth from 8 to 16, 24 or 32, because mplayer doesn't like 8bit depths. last step is: fbset [desired modename from /etc/fb.modes/] and your framebuffer will switch to that res. on that particular console. -a would do that for all of them.
Quote:
Options -fs & -zoom give you correct aspect ratio ?
yes.
Old 3rd January 2003, 19:19   #10  |  Link
Rasi

@ ((( atom )))

the error that occurs is : Segmentation fault

i tried to set a different resolution in the lilo.conf, but it always uses 800x600 whatever i tell him to use... will play around with it a bit tho... if 640x480 works thats a start...

i would prefer directfb anyway. but somehow i am to stupid.. i installed it, mplayer finds it, but there still is an error while ./configure'ing with directfb
Old 3rd January 2003, 19:42   #11  |  Link
TactX

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasi
i would prefer directfb anyway. but somehow i am to stupid.. i installed it, mplayer finds it, but there still is an error while ./configure'ing with directfb
What does it say ? Maybe we can help you with that...

"If a given distribution chooses to do something funky, we rely on users of that distribution to contribute patches to deal with their funkiness."
TactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2003, 19:44   #12  |  Link
Rasi

i will write it down.. have no net at home at the moment...
Old 3rd January 2003, 20:54   #13  |  Link
((( atom )))

well.. i won't post it again: why not load the framebuffer as a module and not during boot?!
Old 11th January 2003, 00:42   #14  |  Link
blixi

I can recommend for video playback on htpc theati rage 128. This one is particular cheap (around 40 Eur) has a real great tv-out. the tv-out is on at boot time if an tv is connected.

Problems I had during my tests so far:

1) I didn't know about the possibility to load it as module and how to configure it
2) I had a small black bar at the upper and the left side (maybe because of 1) ?
3) fbdev in cvs was broken As stated above , in current cvs it is working again.

the tip with the atyfb modul is awfull, there is too an aty128fb with mtrr support _and_ hardware acceleration. I guess I have to build my htpc fast

Greets

Steffen
blixi is offline   Reply With Quote