Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 27th December 2007, 19:22   #241  |  Link
Quatre

now with that dts audio mkv i split into 3 mkv and tried to make a vob using mkv2vob, it said error creating ac3 from wav at the end, so it wasted all that time attempting to make the vob only to fail and now i have to start over and ultimtely may have to reget the 720p version i deleted when i got this 1080p version with dts.
Quatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2007, 00:21   #242  |  Link
3r1c

i dont think you can split dts.

ive said it before and ill say again, mkv2vob was not designed to be used with split files, so you are risking it not working by splitting.
3r1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2007, 00:52   #243  |  Link
Quatre

but it will work making one .vob from the orig .mkv? then just find a way to transfer it onto the ps3 internall hdd i guess and just cant use fat32 ext. hdd.

what sucks is after you split the dts .mkv into 2-3 files, mkv2vob acts like it will work fine, it gets to the end and says can't make ac3 from wav, or something to that effect.

or basically there should be a warning with the program that it doesn't work with dts audio so that if were depending on using this prog we avoid getting x264 mkv with dts audio and try to find a version with ac3 instead.

wait a min i have an x264 .mkv movie with dts audio that I did fine by using mkvmergegui to split the mkv into 2 and then using mkv2vob or GotSent to mux them both to .vob. both parts play fine and work on the 360 so why is this one giving me trouble? is it just because its 1080p where as the one with dts audio that worked was 720p?

that would suck cus the whole point of going through all this trouble is so as not to have to wait just for a 720p wmv to come out cus they always make them 720p to fit on a dvd9 except for some shorter stuff like animations that still fit on dvd9 even in 1080p. The dutch on the other hand not only do more 1080p wmv's but more wmvhd rels in general it seems and release stuff first... but with hard coded nl subs which basically ruin the movie for you if you dont know dutch.

but all this trouble for mkv on ps3 and having to use fat32 hdd and split files, no dts audio, no ff/rw. starting to seem less worth it. might be time to just get a dedicated hw media player that plays everything no hassle.

Last edited by Quatre; 28th December 2007 at 01:13.
Old 28th December 2007, 01:02   #244  |  Link
3r1c

the problem is not with mkv2vob, there is no way to split dts, so whatever program your using to split is creating corrupted output files.

it does work with dts, but if the dts is corrupted it can fail after going through a few steps which take a long time.

ideally the best mkv file to have is 720p with ac3.
99% of 1080p arent valid level 4.1 encodes, which will need to be transcoded.
Old 28th December 2007, 01:22   #245  |  Link
Quatre

ah and so the 1080p x264 mkv are even worse if you need to split for fat32 then because you are selecting No to transcoding and since 99% of those arent valid level 4.1 encodes and need the transcoding then they aren't going to work for splitting and not transcoding.

so like you said, ideally look for a 720p version with ac3 for use with this prog and especially if you need to split.

well that is kind of a damper then cus I was really looking for 1080p considering like I said most of the wmv are 720p catering to dvd9 even though many play from ext hdd or stream and would prefer it be 1080p.

oh well like I said between these limitations and the no ff/rw its seeming less worth it and might have to give up on the consoles and just get a dedicated player.

great work on this prog though and i still like it better then GotSent for the most part (though GS worked on a file that mkv2vob didn't).

Its prob best for tv eps that dont need to be split for us fat32 ext hdd users. or i guess for a 720p ac3 x264 mkv if you dont feel like waiting for the wmv version and dont mind splitting and not having ff/rw.

well tried the 1080p dts movie again and all seemed to work. split into 3 mkv files first and made a .vob of the first one and plays with audio on the ps3 but no video. what gives? i thought they just didnt play right on the pc either wrong speed or just audio like that. I think i've seen others say they had just audio and no video but again i thought that was just on the pc. ?_? renamed to .m2ts and it plays fine on pc with audio and video, test again on ps3 and still no video. i really give up this time.

why would the dts audio mess up the video. Like i said i seem to have a 720p mkv with dts audio that turned out fine into 2 playable .vob's. what caused this one to not work. i give up. and to think i had 2 working 720p ac3 split files of the same movie but deleted it to try the 1080p dts version.

would it work if I just used mkv2vob on the main .mkv before splitting and chose Yes to transcoding and then split that new transcoded .vob? I guess splitting the .vob doesnt' work or ppl would be doing that rather then splitting the mkv first and then making vob of each new mkv file.
prob not worth the time for me to try it just for a shot in the dark. plus not sure what prog to use to split the .vob as that file splitter prog seems only for remerging the split files, not actually using them as split files since it adds a .1 .2 .3 etc at the end of the file and just removing that to have the .vob extension i dont think works. and I have a feeling that using a prog to split the transcoded 1080p dts .vob from an x264 mkv will make split files but probably only one will work as I think i've seen happen.

Last edited by Quatre; 28th December 2007 at 02:09.
Old 28th December 2007, 02:17   #246  |  Link
3r1c

Do not click NO to transcoding unless you know what your doing.

Yes enables automatic detect, ie. it only transcodes if it needs to.

When splitting you should always select YES on the first split file, watch if it transcodes or not, then on the other parts press NO if no trancoding was done on the first part.
Old 28th December 2007, 02:23   #247  |  Link
Quatre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3r1c View Post
Do not click NO to transcoding unless you know what your doing.

Yes enables automatic detect, ie. it only transcodes if it needs to.

When splitting you should always select YES on the first split file, watch if it transcodes or not, then on the other parts press NO if no trancoding was done on the first part.
so the 1080p dts file might have worked if i hit yes to transcoding? doen't that mess it up if you dealing with split files though?

always hit yes on the first, watch if it transcodes or not and then on the others hit no if it didnt?

the instructions that come up and as i understood isthat if you are working with split files to always hit No just as it says. If it auto detects why would hitting yes on the second or third file mess anything up if it did need to transcode the first, wouldn't it need the transcode the 2nd file? why would you need to hit yes for the first, watch to see if it did need to transcode or not and then hit yes or no on the second file depending what it did on the first? does it not auto detect on the second file? so you need to watch what it does to the first and then hit yes or no accordingly for the 2nd (and 3rd if you have that many split files) I thought hitting yes on split files made it not work period and hence why any that need to be transcoded aren't going to work for splitting.

Last edited by Quatre; 28th December 2007 at 02:26.
Old 28th December 2007, 02:34   #248  |  Link
3r1c

The reason is the auto detect only works for the first file in a split mkv, because the split tools do not properly copy the headers onto the other files, so you need to watch the first file and tell mkv2vob what to do with the other files.

The fact that the video didnt work on the ps3 means it needs transcoding, so for this movie you will need to click YES to all parts.

Transcoding increases filesize of the vob by about 50% so you should make your mkv parts about 2.5gb.
Old 28th December 2007, 05:54   #249  |  Link
Quatre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3r1c View Post
The reason is the auto detect only works for the first file in a split mkv, because the split tools do not properly copy the headers onto the other files, so you need to watch the first file and tell mkv2vob what to do with the other files.

The fact that the video didnt work on the ps3 means it needs transcoding, so for this movie you will need to click YES to all parts.

Transcoding increases filesize of the vob by about 50% so you should make your mkv parts about 2.5gb.
ok thankyou for the clarification. so always click yes to transcoding and then where do I look to see if it does it or not so I know what to do for the next file(s)? in the dos screen. look to see if it says transcoding? i think i've seen it say that even when I didn't select yes to auto detect if transcoding is neccesary. So i just need to get straight on what to look for on that first file to see if it needs the transcoding or not. Hm, so that 1080p dts movie probably would have worked if I just hit yes to transcoding for all 3 files.

thanks for the headsup that it makes the file 50% larger so you dont want to make the original split mkv file size more then 2.5GB.

I guess I just was excited about the prospect of quick remuxing of the coveted x264 mkv playback on a console in this case the ps3. But nothing is perfect and now i'm realizing how much I use ff/rw.

Some ppl say just watch a movie straight through and pause is all you need. I used to be the same way but with a baby there are so many times where I miss something and need to rewind, or stop and resume later, skip by chapter and ffwd. All of which the 360 lets you do. So i guess i was really up on mkv2vob, then down on it when i ran into a few problems and now i think i'm just somehwere in the middle. I see it now as an alternative to taking 10 hrs to encode an mkv to wmv only for some time later an official ripped wmv of the same content. In fact on occasion i have taken the time to encode an mkv to wmv only for the "better" official rip from source release to come out by the time i'm done so it was wasted time. personally i dont see any quality degradation in encoing mkv to wmv but ppl call it a transcode and some say transcodes suck and degrade quality which makes me wonder if this is the case when the mkv needs transcoding also?

anyway for now, like I said, i see it as an alternative to encoding to wmv and then when and if the wmv comes out i can just get that for the ff/rw controls. but this way if i dont want to wait at least i have a way to watch it and a method that doesnt waste as muc time as encoding. Which also means i'm fine with sticking with more 720p mkv2vob's so when the wmv comes out and is usually 720p, i wont feel bad getting that and getting rid of my split 720p vobs. plus if i really want the 1080p and can get it to work then this would be one viable way.

tempted to try that same 1080p dts movie again and this time selecting yes to transcoding but I already deleted it and regot the 720p which i know works so its fine cus like i said, prob be a wmv of it soon as there already is a dutch subbed wmv of a lot of these so will soon be an english non subbed version to follow like often is the case.
Old 28th December 2007, 06:11   #250  |  Link
3r1c

is there a reason you cannot stream from network?
all you need is your pc and ps3 connected to the same router, it works fine over wireless too.
Old 28th December 2007, 06:19   #251  |  Link
Quatre

i have a wired connection but i prefer ext. hdd and not leaving the pc on. if its already on for something maybe. and i dont think it works just having it connected as it is. you have to add the file to the library of a program like wmp, or red kawa or tversity, all of which are annoying.

its not like streaming will give you ff/rw. it will just eliminate the splitting of files neccesary for fat32. ps3 should be able to read hfs+ file system (whic ipods use) as 360 can, but sony is stupid.
Old 28th December 2007, 06:39   #252  |  Link
3r1c

i use tversity, all you have to do is add a folder in tversity, then when you add a new file to that folder just refresh tversity, its only 2 clicks.
you can also copy to the ps3 internal hdd over network (i havent tried this but i see others done it)

you could also buy a bluray burner and a rewritable disc, then you have 25gb on ufs.

Last edited by 3r1c; 28th December 2007 at 06:42.
Old 28th December 2007, 07:04   #253  |  Link
Quatre

maybe i'll give tversity a try again, but i didnt like it and i dont liek streaming but yeah i'd try transfering to the ps3 internal with it maybe.
Old 28th December 2007, 07:52   #254  |  Link
Quatre

my ps3 doenst' see tversity only wmp.

edit:

ok i got it. seems to work but doesn't show the proper info for the file. ie. says 0x0 resolution. maybe once copied to the ps3 internal. may just do that from now on to avoid the painful step of splitting the file and get more compatability and be able to hit yes to auto detect if transcode is neccesary. just copy the file to the ps3 internal.

may want to get a larger 2.5" sata for inside the ps3 now. will still maybe use the fat32 ext hdd for single files <4gb and for avchd camcorder footage etc. but yeah it seems for larger files, that it would be quicker to just add the file to tversity library, turn on the ps3 and use tversity mediaserver to copy the file to ps3 hdd and done for later viewing at any time. overall its prob quicker then splitting the files, mux each file, copy to fat32 hdd.

Last edited by Quatre; 28th December 2007 at 08:36.
Old 28th December 2007, 09:03   #255  |  Link
3r1c

yeah it always says 0x0 resolution it doesnt matter.
just make sure you have transcoding set to never in tversity (settings->transcoder)
Old 28th December 2007, 09:12   #256  |  Link
Quatre

k thanks, working good so far. saves time splitting and works better with your prog

will just get new 2.5" sata soon.
Old 28th December 2007, 11:05   #257  |  Link
spida_singh

I have just tried a 1080p dts mkv file, everything looked to be ok, clicked yes to transcoding. But output file was only 253MB? Any ideas?

Regards
spida_singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2007, 11:22   #258  |  Link
Quatre

that happened to me once i think. someting didnt work. i'm doing a 1080p dts mkv now and its taking ages, so i know its transcoding. if wht 3rl1c says is true about "99% of 1080p arent valid level 4.1 encodes, which will need to be transcoded."

then its almost not worth getting the 1080p version let alone dts and what problems that causes or maybe the dts was just a problem to split.

ugh, this 1080p dts mkv is taking forever. I guess it had to transcode, i'm afraid its stuck in an infinite loop or is it supposed to take hours like this? if it has to transcode is it the same as encoding? like an mkv to wmv? if thats teh case then i mine as well have done wmv then so at least i could have ff/rw.

i guess really going to have to try to stick to 720p and pref ac3 i guess from now on. :\

Last edited by Quatre; 28th December 2007 at 12:05.
Old 28th December 2007, 21:51   #259  |  Link
msbear

Any idea to create the vob file with subtitles?? (from a srt subtitle file).
msbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2007, 22:29   #260  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

external subtitle are played by ps3, you must BURN it in video

BHH
AutoWebM: supporting WebM/VP8
buzzqw is offline   Reply With Quote