Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 25th September 2006, 18:00   #61  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo_by View Post
Hi guys, does anybody can explain it or comment: "Windows Media Encoder Studio Edition Beta 1 supports only the WMV9 Advanced Profile codec. Note that this is a different codec than the WMV9 Advanced Profile codec that shipped with the Windows Media Format SDK 9.5. Specifically, the Studio Edition version uses the WVC1 FourCC code instead of WMVA, and requires a newer version of the decoder." It is written here : http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...usingsehd.aspx
It's more or less explained here:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=112634
and here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...#CodecVersions
zambelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 08:59   #62  |  Link
Romeo_by
Video encoding amateur

As far as I understood that from MS link the newest version of the codec and it's features is only avaliable under 2k3 and WMF 11 SDK or WME SE Beta. Am I right?
Romeo_by is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 16:58   #63  |  Link
HookedOnTV

What effect should changing the "Quality" setting in the "Video Options" area have? I'm trying to increase encoding speed. I've tried encodes at 100, 90 and 50 and they all took the same amount of time.
HookedOnTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 21:46   #64  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo_by View Post
As far as I understood that from MS link the newest version of the codec and it's features is only avaliable under 2k3 and WMF 11 SDK or WME SE Beta. Am I right?
Correct. The newest version of the codec is currently only available for XP, Vista and W2K3.
Old 26th September 2006, 21:52   #65  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookedOnTV View Post
What effect should changing the "Quality" setting in the "Video Options" area have? I'm trying to increase encoding speed. I've tried encodes at 100, 90 and 50 and they all took the same amount of time.
Quality setting is valid only in CBR modes and 1-pass VBR mode. It's irrelevant in 2-pass VBR mode.
In 1-pass VBR mode it sets the constant quality of the video, which affects the overall compression ratio. In more technical terms, it sets the QP (picture quantizer) for the video.
In CBR modes, Quality is also known as "Video Smoothness", and it controls whether the encoder will drop frames in order to meet the quality bar for each frame at a given bitrate (more important for streaming than for offline encoding). The default setting typically works for all content, but if you get dropped frames, you can try lowering the value.

A complexity level setting exists for WMV codecs which controls the speed/quality ratio, but I don't think Nic has it implemented.
Old 26th September 2006, 22:02   #66  |  Link
Nic

Quote:
A complexity level setting exists for WMV codecs which controls the speed/quality ratio, but I don't think Nic has it implemented.
It is implemented under the Advanced Options dialog. It's the last option marked "Minimum/Maximum complexity".

-Nic
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 23:12   #67  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic View Post
It is implemented under the Advanced Options dialog. It's the last option marked "Minimum/Maximum complexity".
Oh, sorry, I forgot you did add it.

@HookedOnTV: The default value is 3. Increasing to 4 should give you a decent quality boost, but will be about 80% slower. Complexity 5 will be even slower - and I personally don't think it's worth the extra time.
Old 27th September 2006, 03:32   #68  |  Link
HookedOnTV

So to increase speed I should lower to maybe 2? I'm comparing between using this and x264 w/MeGUI. So far this takes about 3 times as long. I'm having a hard time believing VC-1 should take this long. I must be doing something wrong.
HookedOnTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2006, 12:17   #69  |  Link
Nic

sh0dan sent me a patch to make WMNicEnc's options easier to use (the comboboxes don't just list obscure numbers that you have to look up now).

I applied and uploaded to: http://nic.dnsalias.com

No other changes (unless I broke something)

-Nic
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 06:39   #70  |  Link
Pookie

Nic - No message, just posting appreciation for your great apps. Respect.
Pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 10:34   #71  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic View Post
sh0dan sent me a patch to make WMNicEnc's options easier to use (the comboboxes don't just list obscure numbers that you have to look up now).

I applied and uploaded to: http://nic.dnsalias.com
Nice work, Sh0dan!

Some comments.

"Video Type" should actually be "VideoType". The online documentation is wrong and will hopefully be corrected soon.

The values for "VideoType" should be as follows:
  • Progressive
  • Frame Interlaced
  • Field Interlaced
  • Auto Frame/Field Interlaced
  • Auto Frame Interlaced/Field Interlaced/Progressive

The setting is only valid if interlaced encoding has been enabled on the codec via IPropertyBag. Nic hasn't actually enabled this in the encoder yet, so until that's done - VideoType will not really work properly in WMNicEnc.

Let's say interlaced encoding support was implemented... Here's how it would work. "Default" would default to Progressive for progressive, and to Field Interlaced for interlaced video encoding. When "VideoType" is set, it affects how images are encoded in the video. In all cases source is assumed to be frame-based video. Frame Interlaced will encode each input frame as one interlaced frame. Field Interlaced option will encode each input frame as a pair of fields. This doesn't imply bobbed playback. It merely means that each frame is stored as two fields, rather than a single frame. The two auto modes try to pick the most efficient method for compressing each input frame. VideoType=4 is best suited for mixed mode content.

One more comment...

Encoder complexity range is not hard-coded. It's based on a max value retrieved from the codec property bag. So defining a descriptive value for 0-5 is probably the wrong way to go about it. A better way might be to describe 0 as "fastest" and MAX as "slowest" - and everything inbetween the user can figure out.
Old 12th October 2006, 18:47   #72  |  Link
affter333

HI:

Really need better and detailed explanations on those
profile parameters.

for example: force overlap, what does it do? Some kind
of temporal smoothing?

And what are those default values of the default settings? are they on or off ? 1 or 0 ?

thanks ..
affter333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2006, 05:26   #73  |  Link
leiming2006

WMV9
Tick "VBR" and then select "constrained" or "unconstrained". "VBR Quality" affect nothing?

And in mutipass, tick VBR and select "constrained" or "unconstrained". It output "part, part and part" video.

Is there anything I have set wrong? Who can tell me how can I use the VBR "constrained" and "unconstrained"?
Thanks
leiming2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2006, 01:21   #74  |  Link
tominator

I just started learning about WMNicEnc and havn't had time to try it as much as I want yet. I do have some quick questions though:

From what Ive understood it does not have support for creating files with support for multiple video streams. Might that be a function we can expect any time soon?

Is there a way to queue jobs? If not, may that be a function to expect?

Are there any plans for making it able to load seperate audio and video sources?

Thanks.
tominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2006, 00:42   #75  |  Link
dohcmark8

Thanks for the great update. I tried it out for VC-1 encoding and its nice.

Although, any plans to include a status bar with remaining time and current fps?
dohcmark8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2006, 00:59   #76  |  Link
affter333

Can it open AVIs ? not just avs.
affter333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 14:20   #77  |  Link
sjchmura

SO the default AP settings = according to the MS documents linked above - activate most if not all of the highest quality setting settings - correct? So is there any other option to choose other than "Compression Optimization type" is set to optimal. So only of we disable this do the other settings actually matter - correct?
sjchmura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 23:02   #78  |  Link
Isochroma

First, I'd like to thank Nic for this wonderful tool! I'm using it to make WMV2 encodes of HD videos.

I've some suggestions for new features in the next version, here they are:

1. Settings - no profiles needed, but it would be nice to store the last used encode settings in an .ini or regkey.

2. Priority - Low/Med/High, etc.
3. FPS indicator for encode rate
4. ETA calculation
5. Pause/Resume button
Isochroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2006, 07:25   #79  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchmura View Post
SO the default AP settings = according to the MS documents linked above - activate most if not all of the highest quality setting settings - correct? So is there any other option to choose other than "Compression Optimization type" is set to optimal. So only of we disable this do the other settings actually matter - correct?
Sorry I missed this earlier.
All settings included in the "Compression Optimization Type = 1" preset can be overridden by explicitly defining them. So you can have CompOpt=1 AND have Motion Match = 1, even though in CompOpt=1 it gets set to -1.

Anyway, "highest quality" is a subjective term. Compression Optimization Type = 1 does offer quality improvements, but it also smooths out some areas of the image due to dquant perceptual optimizations being enabled. If you're looking for more of an archival quality setting, I recommend:

Motion Match = Hadamard
Motion Search Range = Auto
Motion Search Level = True Chroma or Auto True Chroma
LoopFilter = On
Old 6th December 2006, 07:26   #80  |  Link
zambelli
Doom9ing since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isochroma View Post
First, I'd like to thank Nic for this wonderful tool! I'm using it to make WMV2 encodes of HD videos.
WMV2? As in "WMV v8"?