Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th October 2005, 09:31   #61  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Video Dude
I have also experienced this many times.

There are some instances where PGCEdit will remove the cell, but not reflect the changes in the GUI. For example, on a DVD project I wanted to remove 1 cell out of 10. It did not work, so I clicked the button 4 more times, still nothing. I closed (and saved) and when I reopened I found that five cells had been removed. So it did work, but did not show the changes in the GUI. (Thanks for automatically creating a backup. )

I've noticed a pattern for when it occurs for me. It seems only to happen (but not every time) after I cut and paste commands and also edit the "current domain streams attributes". Everything is fine if I remove the cells first.
Thanks for the tip. Will try to find the bug, though it's difficult when it occur only from time to time.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2005, 11:55   #62  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Yeah, it is infuriating. Right now, I am in the habit of doing Incremental backup before cell operations - especially add blank cells.

(WooHoo - 1,500 totally unhelpful and useless posts!)

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2005, 13:24   #63  |  Link
zacoz

Nah, think you still have a few to go Blu, as I seem to recall at least half a dozen that were actually helpful to me.

Sorry for OT.
Old 21st October 2005, 02:51   #64  |  Link
Z-95
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ
You can delete several cells at once if they are contiguous. Just open the PGC Editor -> Remove Cells, and select Remove Cell Range. This option is relatively new, so be sure to use the latest v0.6.1.
I have also the intention to revamp completely the PGC Editor, to allow moltiple selection of cells. But it's a big work, and I have also many other things to do. Maybe this winter...
By using the Remove Cells function, it leaves the actual video content on the DVD correct? When I first used PCGedit I used remove cell and it left the unreferenced content in the vobs and I had to run it through VobBlanker to get rid of it. I use blank cell to get rid of the video and save space. Cool, no real rush, its fine now as long as I don't run into another 10+ cell PCG .
Z-95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2005, 08:40   #65  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Right. You need VobBlanker to recover the space used by the VOB cells.

However, it is possible to blank a whole domain at once in PgcEdit. See Domain -> Blank Out all PGCs in Domain. It patches the IFOs, and replace the VOB(s) by one single black frame. In the menu domain, it is even possible to remove completely the VOB, by converting all PGCs to dummies.
If you don't need to keep anything in a domain, I recommand to use this option. It's faster, and it recovers even more space than with VobBlanker.
Old 21st October 2005, 12:53   #66  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by voo_doo99
I noted that a log was displayed after the Create ISO process which also had the LB sector number included and seemed to use the same place as the create ISO when saved. Could you have the default log name set to be same as the ISO name with a suffix _log.txt to link them together for later burning reference?
Done. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 21st October 2005, 13:41   #67  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ
I will check the ~folder problem. Maybe it works only for files.
Well, I forgot I have removed the automatic exclusion of ~* files when creating the ISO. It causes problems under Linux, because ~ is expanded as the current user's home path. Anyway, your trick to move your work folders in the PgcEdit backup folder works to exclude them. So, I will not implement another solution.
Old 21st October 2005, 13:58   #68  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutach
Similar problem adding cells if you say no to updating the VOB in the backup folder. It appends 10k to the VOB but does not update the cell table. Next time you do it, you get an error of course, since the VTS is too big
I've tried to reproduce this bug, but I can't. Seems everything is normal.
When you don't backup the VOBs, the procedure continues as expected. If you use the Cancel button when requested to backup the VOBs, or in the overwrite confirmation dialog, the procedure is not executed at all. In both cases, it's normal.
Could you please explain what you did exactly?
Old 21st October 2005, 15:31   #69  |  Link
Z-95
Lurker

I have never seen this bug in my usage of the program, either in removing the checkmark to backup the VOB when blanking a cell or when leaving it marked and then saying no to overwriting the already backed up VOB. Each time it correctly updated the cells for me. Note that I have not tried leaving it checked and click no to overwrite in 0.6.1, only in 0.6.
Old 21st October 2005, 16:00   #70  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks for the confirmation.
However, blutack is talking about the Create New Blank Cell feature available in the PGC Editor. There is no checkmark to backup the VOBs. It's a dialog window that is opened when needed. I suppose you are speaking of the Blank All PGCs in Domain function.
But you're right. Since both methods are similar, the same bug should occur in both functions, or never. (But the add cell function is more complex...)
Old 21st October 2005, 20:31   #71  |  Link
Z-95
Lurker

Whoops, my bad, assumed when he said "say no to updating the VOB in the backup folder" to be him referring to blanking cells and the backing up of original VOBs.

One thing I've noticed, when the fix streams macro is run when opening the DVD, it doesn't seem to fix the problems it finds. When I reopen that DVD, it comes up with the same "there are 2 discrepancies..." no matter how many times I run the macro.

Last edited by Z-95; 21st October 2005 at 20:34.
Old 22nd October 2005, 00:36   #72  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

The fix streams macro fixes the discrepancies on the data stored in memory, but doesn't save the DVD automatically. You have to save it manually.
Old 22nd October 2005, 01:59   #73  |  Link
Z-95
Lurker

Whoa, just tried it and it works if you save it immediately, but I have run the macro and then did editing on the DVD and then saved it manually and it didn't save what the macro fixed.
Old 22nd October 2005, 06:10   #74  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

@r0lZ - all I did was try to add a few blank cells. Unofrtunately you have to do this one at a time, but so be it (maybe easier to use AddChapter for bulk adds). So, I add the forst one no probs. Saves the DVD autmatically (I think). Add another blank cell. Asks if I want to overwrite the backup VOB (I don't). Then the little 10k is added to the VOB but the cell table is not updated, so the third time around, I'm in trouble.

Regards

Old 22nd October 2005, 10:27   #75  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks. Will try this procedure...
Old 22nd October 2005, 13:18   #76  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I have updated my homepage with links to new guides (including 2 brand new german PDFs by Tobi), and to the newest plugins (including the anti-ARccOS plugin by the Mad Monk.)

See the hemepage for details...
Old 22nd October 2005, 13:51   #77  |  Link
Rippraff

Thanks r0lZ and a special thank you to Tobi as well!

Cu Rippraff
Rippraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2005, 11:32   #78  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

A note on the Anti-ARccOS plugin - it is still under development and does not work for everything out there (Episodic DVDs still require a little development). But give it a try - it works on the vast majority of ARccOS disks in circulation.

Regards

Old 25th October 2005, 04:03   #79  |  Link
E-Male
mad computer-scientist

request: 32k pad via CLI

r0lZ, could you add a cli-option (or make a seperate cli-tool) that allows just patching a VIDEO_TS folder to have the 32k padding between video_ts.ifo and .bup, so it can then be used with mkisofs?
would be great to have for batch-files and front-ends
also: could you please post the correct mkisofs parameters to use after the patching?
E-Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2005, 06:58   #80  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Well, PgcEdit is a front-end for MkISOFS. And doing a little cli-tool is not easy. I will have to extract many things from the main program...

But there is a trick. When PgcEdit starts (with a DVD folder name passed as argument), it loads the DVD, and then loads the plugins. So, if you want, copy PgcEdit somewhere in a new directory, and create a little plugin to save automatically the DVD just after it has been loaded. Be sure to enable the 32K gap option, and enable expert mode to suppress the confirmation dialogs. If you call this copy of PgcEdit, it will load the DVD, and save it with the 32K gaps, then exit.
However, note that all setup values are saved in the same folder, regardless of which copy of PgcEdit is used. This means that you will have to leave the options above when you work with the 'normal' copy of PgcEdit. Also, PgcEdit may display some warnings, even when the expert mode is enabled.

The plugin should contain those lines:
Code:
set rc [::main::Write_DVD false]    ;# save DVD, and remember error code
cleanexit $rc    ;# and quit PgcEdit with error code
I have not tested the method, but it should work.

[EDIT:]
It is even possible to hardcode the setups you need in the plugin. Insert the following lines before the lines above:
Code:
set ::config(save_setups_on_exit) false
set ::config(save_BUP_with_gaps) true
set ::config(expert_mode) true
set ::config(auto_create_backup) false
set ::config(auto_fix_streams) false
set ::config(auto_launch_menubuttons_parser) false
Thanks to the first line, the setups will not be saved when the version with the plugin is used.
(I'm not sure if the last 3 lines are useful, since the DVD will be already loaded when they are executed.)

Last edited by r0lZ; 25th October 2005 at 07:22.