Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 27th January 2007, 18:45   #1  |  Link
2439rf8hasjdert4

Playing HD-DVD (.EVO) on Vista

How can one play .EVO files on Windows Vista, the best operating system in the world? I know PowerDVD 6.5 plays these files and works with XP, but it is not compatible with Vista. So which software can I use to play these files on my Vista machine?
2439rf8hasjdert4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2007, 21:56   #2  |  Link
VistaVick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2439rf8hasjdert4 View Post
How can one play .EVO files on Windows Vista, the best operating system in the world? I know PowerDVD 6.5 plays these files and works with XP, but it is not compatible with Vista. So which software can I use to play these files on my Vista machine?
Um, powerdvd 6.5 worked with vista for me, but I had some sound issues and powerdvd 7.2 works great, what problems are you having, try 7.2 anyway
VistaVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2007, 02:17   #3  |  Link
2439rf8hasjdert4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VistaVick View Post
Um, powerdvd 6.5 worked with vista for me, but I had some sound issues and powerdvd 7.2 works great, what problems are you having, try 7.2 anyway
"PowerDVD has stopped working" - that's what it says when I try to play a movie with 7.2. Does you know of any other software that works with Vista? Or maybe someone can write a software for playback .EVO files.
Old 3rd February 2007, 20:35   #4  |  Link
hd1080p

VLC is working on it.

VLC media player via ffmpeg will soon be able to play .evo files. It is playing blueray's m2ts files now. Stay tuned!!
http://www.videolan.org

Quote:
"PowerDVD has stopped working" - that's what it says when I try to play a movie with 7.2. Does you know of any other software that works with Vista? Or maybe someone can write a software for playback .EVO files.

Last edited by hd1080p; 4th February 2007 at 16:40. Reason: wrong url
hd1080p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2007, 01:08   #5  |  Link
taz291819

PD7.2 works for me with Vista Ultimate.

Let me take a shot in the dark, you using a nvidia graphics card?
taz291819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2007, 07:00   #6  |  Link
2439rf8hasjdert4

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post
PD7.2 works for me with Vista Ultimate.

Let me take a shot in the dark, you using a nvidia graphics card?
Nope, it's an ATI.

Is this a legit copy of PowerDVD you are talking about or "the one doing the rounds" if you know what I mean .
Old 5th February 2007, 08:23   #7  |  Link
agentbb007

Quote:
Nope, it's an ATI.

Is this a legit copy of PowerDVD you are talking about or "the one doing the rounds" if you know what I mean .
I'm running PowerDVD 7.1 Ultra in Vista Ultimate to play my EVO files. I can't play the movies directly from disk because my monitor isn't HDCP compliant.
agentbb007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2007, 16:51   #8  |  Link
taz291819

Quote:
Nope, it's an ATI.

The rounds.
taz291819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2007, 23:58   #9  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post
The rounds.
Striked for rule 6. Warez is not welcome here in any way, keep it on the up-and-up. (Even if you were just trying to help.)
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2007, 20:08   #10  |  Link
mkanet

Can somebody PLEASE help me to playback an EVO file in PowerDVD 7.2Ultra

I've tried dragging and dropping the file (HDintro.EVO) into the player UI, and it's completely ignored. The player also doesnt even recognize the .EVO file ext in its media file playback mode. I even went to the extent of putting the file into the BDROM local storage folder: C:\Documents and Settings\michael\Application Data\CyberLink\PowerDVD\LocalStorage\

I was so desperate that I even renamed the ext to .mpg and tried playing it back that way. All I got was a black screen and no sound... although, I could see the timebar move forward as if the file was really playing back.

I have my PC hooked up to my monitor via DVI-->HDMI. My display adapter doesnt have HDCP; which is why I installed AnyDVD-HD trial version.

Thanks so much in advanced, you would be surprised how hard it is to get a straight answer!!
mkanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2007, 03:18   #11  |  Link
mkanet

Is there a better place I can ask my question?
Old 14th March 2007, 14:00   #12  |  Link
arfster

Not really. PDVD is full of bugs for HDDVD playback. The drivers are also full of bugs wrt HDCP (even though you're not using it, can still screw things up). It's down to luck whether your combination of PDVD, windows version, driver version and graphics card play nice together.

Try disabling hardware graphics acceleration, and if that doesn't work change your video drivers.

There's a patch 7.3 you can get from Cyberlink, but it's still riddled with bugs.
arfster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2007, 22:06   #13  |  Link
kikker

Couple things I'm aware of: The cyberlink's mpeg audio decoders are buggy and can crash your system. Secondly, in Vista, I believe you must manually select your "preferred mpeg2 decoder" in the registry as the MS one takes precedent..
kikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2007, 22:11   #14  |  Link
mkanet

I really appreciate the replies back guys.

So, in a perfect world, is PowerDVD supposed to be able to playback EVO files? If everything is working, I am supposed to be able to drag and drop an EVO file right into the player's UI?
Old 14th March 2007, 22:28   #15  |  Link
Electrox3d

I couldn't even get PowerDVD BD/HD DVD edition to install in Vista...
Old 15th March 2007, 20:22   #16  |  Link
arfster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
I really appreciate the replies back guys.

So, in a perfect world, is PowerDVD supposed to be able to playback EVO files? If everything is working, I am supposed to be able to drag and drop an EVO file right into the player's UI?

Yup. That's how it works for me (except for AVC HD_DVD playback, which broke with the 7.3 patch)
arfster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2007, 20:11   #17  |  Link
Turtleggjp

In my experience, PowerDVD 7.2 plays Blu Ray stuff only, not HD-DVD. The reverse is true for PowerDVD 7.1. However, PowerDVD 7.3 seems to support both (finally ). If the 7.3 patch is free from Cyberlink, give it a try.

Matt
Turtleggjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2007, 20:51   #18  |  Link
kikker

Oh, for PDVD 7.2, you can rename the PDVDBD directory and change the PDVDHD directory to PDVDBD directory and you will now be able to play HD-DVD
kikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2007, 05:42   #19  |  Link
Turtleggjp

I haven't tried that, but I think if you do that then it calls itself 7.1, not 7.2 anymore.
Turtleggjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2009, 23:12   #20  |  Link
sxotty

So I guess VLC never got support for this? I got the HD DVD bourne identity to my HDD.

After this I can read the extras with VLC and watch them, but not the main feature. I am using ffdshow rev2633 and new VLC player.

edit:
And to be clear I own the HD-DVD and another 9 that I want to get onto a HDD and readable in case my hd dvd drive is to die. I just purchased a BR drive that is supposed to include PDVD, but it might only play BR and not HDDVD, though perhaps I can make BR ISOs that will work in the future at least.

Last edited by sxotty; 4th March 2009 at 23:26.
sxotty is offline   Reply With Quote