Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th May 2009, 00:14   #981  |  Link
rickhtoo

Quote:
i need more info..
how do you rip the dvd ?
Most were done with DVD Shrink, and is in DVD5 format. Is that a factor as to whether or not HDC can encode them properly? If so why wouldn't AutoMKV have the same effect? I'll give you any info I can to help resolve this problem. Thanks

Rick
rickhtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 00:38   #982  |  Link
Betsy25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickhtoo View Post
Most were done with DVD Shrink, and is in DVD5 format. Is that a factor as to whether or not HDC can encode them properly? If so why wouldn't AutoMKV have the same effect? I'll give you any info I can to help resolve this problem. Thanks

Rick
Do you, perhaps use the "Set Start/End frames" in DVD Shrink's reauthor mode ? It is known to be buggy and make audio go out of sync.
Betsy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 02:54   #983  |  Link
Mrsash

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzqw View Post
should give the same quality (but usually i prefer libavcodec.. usually is faster)

BHH
Ok works fine now to encode 6 channel but I chose 1460 fro size and ended up with 1.7 Gb files for the trilogy. Three movies need to fit on disc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsash View Post
Also did you have a chance to check the mpeg1 video I posted for you. It does not seem to load the audio at all? Automkv does do it though.

Some more feedback in relation to the gui. Automkv screen is much better not because I am used to it but simply all the options are on the front page mostly. In HDC if you pick another vdeo to convert the audio settings seem to default to mp3. You have to check each setting over and over to make sure you have not chosen the option somewhere. Quite a lot of clicking, not that it doesnt look good. But there I do feel ease of use is sacrificed. Hope you look into this.

thanks

Last edited by Mrsash; 30th May 2009 at 02:59.
Mrsash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 05:20   #984  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter4 View Post
I try to encode DVD to x264 in mp4 with version 1.7 and want to share my impressions.
1. AutoResize doesn't correlate with selected video size
2. Status of AVS scripts is not checked (see p.3)
3. I used FFT3DFilter and got: FFT3DFilter: Can not load FFTW3.dll! E:\temp\hdconverttox_vts_01_1.avs, line 86
4. There are no ability to auto shutdown PC via GUI after encoding finished
1) autoresize ? HDC haven't an autoresize
2)/3) while hdc is running fft3dfilter is automatically loaded in memory from \applications folder
BUT if you load manually the script you must put fft3w.dll in you system32 folder
4) just use hdconverttox.ini settings , and set shutdown=1

Quote:
Ok works fine now to encode 6 channel but I chose 1460 fro size and ended up with 1.7 Gb files for the trilogy. Three movies need to fit on disc
a make report of movie and a avinaptic analysis could help.
Moreover if you muxed into m2ts the overhead is quite variable

Quote:
Also did you have a chance to check the mpeg1 video I posted for you. It does not seem to load the audio at all? Automkv does do it though.
yes! just rename it to avi and load it to hdc (say yes when hdc want mux)

Quote:
Some more feedback in relation to the gui. Automkv screen is much better not because I am used to it but simply all the options are on the front page mostly. In HDC if you pick another vdeo to convert the audio settings seem to default to mp3. You have to check each setting over and over to make sure you have not chosen the option somewhere. Quite a lot of clicking, not that it doesnt look good. But there I do feel ease of use is sacrificed. Hope you look into this.
i'll check this but hdc settings are for sure less confusing and chaotic then automkv

BHH
AutoWebM: supporting WebM/VP8
buzzqw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 07:24   #985  |  Link
Mrsash

Quote:
a make report of movie and a avinaptic analysis could help.
Moreover if you muxed into m2ts the overhead is quite variable
Mate you give me too much credit. I have no idea how any of that is done. Should I be posting a log file like automkv or do I need to check some option in HDC to create report of movie and a avinaptic analysis
Also I let HDC handle the muxing as well, I am not sure what m2ts is either?

Quote:
yes! just rename it to avi and load it to hdc (say yes when hdc want mux)
This I will try now

Quote:
i'll check this but hdc settings are for sure less confusing and chaotic then automkv
Yes definately looks better but you end up making more mistakes. Just talking from a noob point of view,
thanks
Old 30th May 2009, 07:29   #986  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

Quote:
Mate you give me too much credit. I have no idea how any of that is done. Should I be posting a log file like automkv or do I need to check some option in HDC to create report of movie and a avinaptic analysis
Also I let HDC handle the muxing as well, I am not sure what m2ts is either?
ok... just load your input file, set your options, and in avanced options, utility, use the make report
and avinaptic report is to use on already encoded material

Quote:
Yes definately looks better but you end up making more mistakes. Just talking from a noob point of view,
please, please, point to what you think is confusing. i am willing to make hdc easier

BHH
Old 30th May 2009, 07:44   #987  |  Link
Mrsash

Quote:
ok... just load your input file, set your options, and in avanced options, utility, use the make report
and avinaptic report is to use on already encoded material

Code:
HDConvertToX v.1.7.323.2869 report

Input File: d:\the matrix.avi ( D:\The Matrix.avi )
Codec Video: 
Width / Heigh : 720 / 304
Framerate / Framecount: 23.976 / 187696
Duration(hh:mm:ss): 2:10:29
Aspect Ratio: 2.3684
Resized resolution: 720 / 304
Crop Values : 0:0:0:0
No Resize & Crop: On

Start Video Configuration ->
Encoding Settings: X264 in MKV
Encoding Preset: 7
Final Size: 1460
Priority: idle
Denoise Level: Super Light
Video Handling: Use Best Decoder
-> End Video Configuration

Start Audio Configuration ->
Audio Codec: Nero AAC Audio
Audio Bitrate/Quality: 0.4
Audio Channels: Original
MP3 Mode: vbr
Normalize: On
Audio handling: Use Eac3to as demuxer
-> End Audio Configuration

Full Audio List-> (*** mean selected)
NONE
*** D:\The Matrix.avi

-> End Full Audio List

Full Subtitle List-> (*** mean selected)
*** NONE

-> End Full Subtitle List

Mux Subtitle in MP4/MKV file: On

Start Advanced AviSynth ->
ColorMatrix: On
-> End Advanced AviSynth

AviSynth Script ->
Working with files: C:\...\HDConvertToX_1.7.323.2869\temp\hdconverttox_the matrix.avs
try {
directshowsource("d:\the matrix.avi",audio=false)
last = isRGB(last) ? ConvertToYV12(last) : last
last = isYUY2(last) ? ConvertToYV12(last) : last
ColorMatrix(mode="Rec.709->Rec.601")
hqdn3d(1)
return last
}
catch (err) {
last=BlankClip()
converttoyv12()
subtitle(err)
trim(0,1500)
}
-> End AviSynth Script
This is what I got from Make report. Edited my PC profile from it
I could not locate avinaptic report

In any case I deleted the 1.7GB files. Do I need to recode it to find out or will you be able to check it with the above info?

Quote:
please, please, point to what you think is confusing. i am willing to make hdc easier

BHH
Does not matter if you leave the gui as it is I suppose if you do then lets say I pick audio like you suggested nreo AAc 0.4 etc and added to the queue and then I went on to add another but the audio settings reverted to mp3 and I did not notice. Out of the ten times I have encoded this movie I think 3-4 times was just because I picked the wrong settings. If the settings just stick it would be excellent. I also forgot once to direct HDC to change file name when I pick another video. In Automkv when you pick a video lets say the matrix it picks save as the matrix.mkv automatically in a separate location

Suppose I wanna do three movies

Matrix 1, 2 and 3

I chose 1 and then set the options and hit add to queue
I chose 2 and then set the options and hit add to queue
and same with the third and started the queue completely oblivious that there was nothing in save file

right second time round forgot to check file name for movie ened up with matrix.mkv only. Seems it kept saving all three movie with the same name ending up with one movie

What I suggest is a save video in(to define default folder)
A blank box which automatically picks the file name according to source movie. Hope this helps

Last edited by Mrsash; 30th May 2009 at 07:58.
Old 30th May 2009, 07:44   #988  |  Link
Sharc

1. In Visual Crop the opening window cuts some of the picture (bottom, right)
2. The window for a 1920x1080 picture is huge. IIRC it had been reduced in an earlier HDC version to a more convenient size (1/2) ?

Last edited by Sharc; 30th May 2009 at 08:12.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 08:52   #989  |  Link
Sharc

Source is AVC.
I select 1-pass x264.
I do a compression test with say crf 22
a) HDC extracts the video,
b) then runs DGIndex,
c) then does the compression test and shows the expected video size. All ok so far.
Now I change crf to 21 and repeat the compression test. The whole lengthy process starts over again (video extracting, DGIndexing, compression test) although the results of steps a) and b) are already available and need not to be redone.

Can this be improved?
Old 30th May 2009, 09:54   #990  |  Link
alter4

to buzzqw
AutoMKV works "out of box" I dont need add any dlls to system32))
Quote:
2)/3) while hdc is running fft3dfilter is automatically loaded in memory from \applications folder
I have error message in encoded video and libfftw3f-3.dll present in ...HDC\applications but only when I add fftw3.dll to ...HDC\applications srcipt begin to work!
[edited] I renamed libfftw3f-3.dll to fftw3.dll and this way all are ok too. Buzzqw, Did you forget to rename dll after compilation? [/edited]
Also I noticed when path to a DVD folder on HDD contain non latin symbols (Russian in my case) DGindex doen't start its work

to Adub
Quote:
1. AutoResize doesn't correlate with selected video size
I choose smaller size of a file, automatically less video resolution is obtained

Last edited by alter4; 30th May 2009 at 12:29.
alter4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 10:10   #991  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

Okay, my basic guide is finished! Give it a look here!

It covers the very basics of using HDConvetToX for converting Blurays to a more suitable format (such as X264 in MKV). Leave all comments on the website, or feel free to contact me via PM.
Old 30th May 2009, 12:46   #992  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

Quote:
In any case I deleted the 1.7GB files. Do I need to recode it to find out or will you be able to check it with the above info?
the size problem is due to kind of audio encoding. Nero Quality is a quality encoding, and so the file size isn't fully predictable.
Only when encoding audio in CBR mode HDC is able to achive the requested file size

Quote:
I also forgot once to direct HDC to change file name when I pick another video. In Automkv when you pick a video lets say the matrix it picks save as the matrix.mkv automatically in a separate location
if you don't select a output, HDC will create one for you based on input file name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
1. In Visual Crop the opening window cuts some of the picture (bottom, right)
2. The window for a 1920x1080 picture is huge. IIRC it had been reduced in an earlier HDC version to a more convenient size (1/2) ?
3. Source is AVC.
I select 1-pass x264.
I do a compression test with say crf 22
a) HDC extracts the video,
b) then runs DGIndex,
c) then does the compression test and shows the expected video size. All ok so far.
Now I change crf to 21 and repeat the compression test. The whole lengthy process starts over again (video extracting, DGIndexing, compression test) although the results of steps a) and b) are already available and need not to be redone.

Can this be improved?
1) image are extracted using directshowsource, make sure you don't have a resizer applied
2) no. HDC has show always full frame size
3) good suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter4 View Post
to buzzqw
AutoMKV works "out of box" I dont need add any dlls to system32))

I have error message in encoded video and libfftw3f-3.dll present in ...HDC\applications but only when I add fftw3.dll to ...HDC\applications srcipt begin to work!
[edited] I renamed libfftw3f-3.dll to fftw3.dll and this way all are ok too.
thanks, will be fixed in next full package
Quote:
Also I noticed when path to a DVD folder on HDD contain non latin symbols (Russian in my case) DGindex doen't start its work
sorry pal, i cannot do anything about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub View Post
Okay, my basic guide is finished! Give it a look here!

It covers the very basics of using HDConvetToX for converting Blurays to a more suitable format (such as X264 in MKV). Leave all comments on the website, or feel free to contact me via PM.
very nice! (and correct!)

just a question: why using DirecShowSource2 ? (the haali version)
if source is avc the default decoder is dgavcdec

if dss2 faster ?

BHH
Old 30th May 2009, 14:55   #993  |  Link
Chengbin

I second the suggestion of being able to choose a default location for your encodes. The one implanted in AutoMKV is PERFECT (actually not quite because sometimes it changes to \directory\temp instead of the default \directory that I set.
Chengbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 15:02   #994  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

you can set hdc to use the input folder , or simply copy hdc to your final location

BHH
Old 30th May 2009, 18:30   #995  |  Link
Sharc

For the bitrate calculation (2-pass encoding, m2ts) HDC seems not to consider the selection of sups. The calcualted bitrate remains unaffected which can lead to oversizing, because the sups of m2ts are easily in the order of 15 ... 50 MB for each selected sup.
Old 30th May 2009, 19:03   #996  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

you are right Sharc.. but is more like 15 or 50 for sup ?

BHH
Old 30th May 2009, 19:27   #997  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

Quote:

very nice! (and correct!)

just a question: why using DirecShowSource2 ? (the haali version)
if source is avc the default decoder is dgavcdec

if dss2 faster ?

BHH
Answer, from my guide:
Quote:
The reason for this is that it will use your native DirectShow decoder installed on your system, so if you have CoreAVC or FFDShow-Tryouts installed, you will be able to use multithreaded decoding for faster performance. If you do not have a multicore system, or you don’t know what that is, then stick with the defaults.
Old 30th May 2009, 19:36   #998  |  Link
buzzqw
HDConvertToX author

good to know!

may i link your guide in first post ?

BHH
Old 30th May 2009, 20:12   #999  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
you are right Sharc.. but is more like 15 or 50 for sup ?
Well, it depends of course on the duration of the movie and on the type of sups. I have often seen that director's comments are 2x the size of the movie sup.
As a "guestimate" for .m2ts I use sup(in kB)=3.7 x movie duration in seconds, for each subtitle.
The size also depends on the resolution. For 720p I use BDSuptoSub to reduce the sups from 1080 to 720, which reduces the file size of the original sup by about 30%.
While the size of HD sups may be peanuts on a BD25, it can present a problem with BD5.

Last edited by Sharc; 30th May 2009 at 20:19.
Old 30th May 2009, 22:05   #1000  |  Link
Mrsash

Quote:
the size problem is due to kind of audio encoding. Nero Quality is a quality encoding, and so the file size isn't fully predictable.
Only when encoding audio in CBR mode HDC is able to achive the requested file size
So you are saying use CBR?
I was wondering then considering audio is encoded first should'nt HDC be able to calculate the rest for video to fill?

Quote:
if you don't select a output, HDC will create one for you based on input file name
You said move HDC to folder/drive further. But how will this work? I have videos lets say on drive D and want the resulting video on drive G are you saying move HDC to drive G and then it will default to drive G for saving resulting videos? This is a bit cumbersome approach I think.

[/QUOTE]

Tags
bluray, hdc, hdconverttox, m2ts, network media tank, playstation, x264 gui