Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Programming and Hacking > Translations

Old 8th July 2003, 22:37   #1  |  Link
BloodyRipper

Polish translation?

i'm not sure what should i think about doing the polish translation of doom9's site. there's not so much demand for that, but on the other hand - i'm sure that aleksander can surely help me. what do you think - do it or maybe better not? i'm not so good at php, but i know html preety good. please help me.
BloodyRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2003, 21:44   #2  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

According to my statistics, people having coming from a .pl host are ranked 17th in the country list. Of course, that list isn't really that useful due to many ISPs using .com or .net regardless of the country of origin. But, there are successful ongoing translation projects for countries who are ranked lower than Poland. In the end you have to know if it's worth your time as my contribution will be insignificant compared to yours (I'll still try to help where I can but I don't speak Polish which severely limits my abilities to help out in such an endeavour).
Old 12th July 2003, 19:47   #3  |  Link
BloodyRipper

but what about the domain? and will i have to upload the whole project by myself? if yes, it's going to be nightmare(56kbit modem). about the domain - well, i can't afford www.doom9.pl, because i'm just 14 years old(and my pocket money is 35PLN=7,5$=8EURO). www.doom9.pl domain costs 244PLN=65$. maybe i will start translating when poland will come to the eruopean union and all the internet businnes, connection costs will go lower(i hope so). what 2 do? (like this popular polish saying - "moje serce jest w rozterce" - in english : "my heart is in a dilemma", but it sounds better in polish ;-) )
Old 12th July 2003, 21:52   #4  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

well.. you start out with a limited amount of documents to the upload won't be that huge. Furthermore, I could upload the entire collection of html, gif and jpeg files for you, and you replace the original html docs by translated ones as you or your teammates translate them. As for an own domain, you're not required to have one. In fact, only the German, Dutch and Hungarian team have their own domain so far (doom9.tk has been registered so I presume that people are still gearing up for a Turkish translation... if you guys are out there.. I'd love to hear from you), the other 6 teams all have a doom9.org subdomain. Considering the financial situation I think using polish.doom9.org, or maybe polski.doom9.org (I hope I got that right.. as I said I don't speak Polish) should do just fine. And as for a webspace, if you can't find something (friends with connections to ISPs come in handy here and you won't have to worry about traffic too much since I host the software, meaning I take the brunt of your bandwith usage anyway) we can always come to an agreement.
Old 12th July 2003, 22:32   #5  |  Link
aleksander
Someone, somewhere

Polish translation - that may be interesting.
But I'm not sure if it's a task that two of us could take.
There's a huge load of documents that would have to be translated. And one thing I hate about Polish is that it is so extremely (sometimes) hard to find a good word to express what other word (English one) has meant. There is as many different translations of one English word as many translators
Go figure!
And regarding uploading stuff, etc. I'm at T1 line, so that's not a problem for me. I'm glad I don't have to deal with Polish type of connections anymore. There's nothing like T1 and wireless...
That's it for now.
I think it would be nice to have Polish version of doom9.org...
Let's see what happens...

take care

aleksander
aleksander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2003, 23:45   #6  |  Link
BloodyRipper

well, i don't know what to think about it...that's quite a lot of work, but i'm not so mobilized - i'll try, but i don't promise. and what about the domain?
Old 12th July 2003, 23:56   #7  |  Link
BloodyRipper

sorry about that previous post - i didn't read the doom9's one. if the domain could be polish.doom9.org or polski.doom9.org(yeah, doom9 - that's right! Polski is "Polish" for Polish!!!) that would be quite fine.
Old 14th July 2003, 15:16   #8  |  Link
RobertR

Once i thought about translating one or two Doom9's guides to polish (to put on my own webpage). Sadly short after that my free time shrinked to almost null (i'm slowly recovering from this situation).

As for translations i think that people that are posting/reading forums CDR Info and/or DivX.Pl could help if You let'em know about Your idea.

I'll be glad if i can help
Old 21st July 2003, 18:58   #9  |  Link
RobertR

So?
Is there anything going on with polish translation? or polish translation project?
Old 21st July 2003, 19:29   #10  |  Link
BloodyRipper

well, i don't think so i will do the polish translation. translating gordian knot took me 4 days(it was just 64KB), so i don't want to think how long the polish translation of site will take (it's 18MB!!!). if someone would start the polish translation already - i'd participate with all mine pleasure. you know - it's always difficult to start :-/
Old 21st July 2003, 23:58   #11  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

well.. you don't have to do it all alone, but it usually takes one very commited guy to really get things going. You don't have to translate too many guides, start with a few (gknot, dvd2svcd are my favorites), then make sure you have the site groundwork all laid out, translate the news on a daily basis and use that as a starting point. Daily news are important to that people will come back to your site. Once the words spread, you should get more and more volunteers.
Old 22nd July 2003, 10:18   #12  |  Link
BloodyRipper

good advice. but a problem is that i won't be able to download & translate all the daily news every day, because i have just 56k modem and i can't surf the internet too much every day (up to 12 minutes every day). maybe i will start - i don't know.
Old 22nd July 2003, 10:48   #13  |  Link
RobertR

Every journey has a first step...

Right now i have a some spare time i can use to translate some guide(s) and i intend to do so, but i can't promise it will last for ever
Yesterday i downloaded 4 guides about dvdr and will try to translate first of them by end of this week.

As for daily news i think they are relatively easy to translate as there is not much text there.

I think that we have to start in one way or another and then try to get more people to translate various parts of Doom9 site
Old 28th July 2003, 21:53   #14  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

forever is a long time, but you don't have to have a hundred translated documents... a few key ones will suffice if you give the people a reason to come back.
It normally requires a lot of effort from very few people, the first webmaster is going to be a very busy guy in the beginning phase, but if you can split up the administrative tasks (somebody translating and uploading news, one managing the translation.. assigning documents, proofreading them, and perhaps somebody running the forum) you should manage just fine even if you cannot spend 5h a day on the project. If no new guides are to be written and no software is to be tested, I can check the entire forum twice a day and stay well below 2h work a day. Cut down the forum and you'll be below half an hour a day which isn't that much.
Old 20th August 2003, 13:28   #15  |  Link
killingspree
Newbie Forum Mod

first of: sorry i can't help you translate as i do not speak a single word of polish although i'd like to

anyway, i just wanted to add that imho the oneclickdvd backup solutions are increasingly important. so a translation of the dvdshrink guide would probably not be a bad idea

good luck with your project, if i can help in any way pls PM me and i'll see what i can do!

steVe
Old 23rd August 2003, 21:21   #16  |  Link
BloodyRipper

well, i resigned. school is coming and i'm not sure i will be able to take this task. sorry to all poles on this forum. I'VE FAILED.
Old 12th December 2022, 16:11   #17  |  Link
tradupro

Translation to polish is so complicated. I was learning how to translate in Madrid. Coudnt make a correct translation.
tradupro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2023, 19:28   #18  |  Link
VoodooFX
Banana User

Hello, my name is Voodoo Bond Smith, ^post is made by a bot, moderators don't care about them...
VoodooFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2023, 16:30   #19  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

IMNSHO the entire translations forum should be made read-only

and the Gleitz board thread should be moved to the General Discussion section.😐
Old 23rd August 2023, 19:48   #20  |  Link
kolak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyRipper View Post
well, i resigned. school is coming and i'm not sure i will be able to take this task. sorry to all poles on this forum. I'VE FAILED.
Most younger Polish people have good enough English to use doom9.
If not I would suggest first to learn it and then start using doom9
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote