Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 14th April 2021, 20:42   #1  |  Link
crazyjpeters

Help with IVTC on lousy source material

I'm trying to transfer Family Matters dvd collection to my plex server. It's telecined 3:2 stuff. Holy cow is it garbage stuff. Even after TFM and TDecimate, it still has combing in some places noticably. The blockiness from all the MPEG2 is ugly.

I'm trying to get the aspect ratio corrected. My dvd player or my tv isn't displaying correctly, and I can't seem to get it corrected, otherwise I'd just save them as is. After trying to correct aspect ratio and IVTC, it's staying about the same size as original, and I wouldn't mind getting the video improved so I can get the size down.

Does anyone do 2-pass TIVTC?
What kind of scripts and filters is everyone using to clean up garbagey NTSC DVD live tv shows (ie not anime / cartoon).

Sorry for the noobieness. I've been out of video processing since the DivX/Xvid days, and getting my feet wet again is painful this time.
crazyjpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2021, 21:48   #2  |  Link
johnmeyer

You have to post an un-encoded sample to get able to get much help.

The TIVTC DLL for AVISynth can handle just about any telecine situation, including cleaning up residual combing. The default script is:

Code:
TFM()
TDecimate()
It sounds like this is what you're already using. If the defaults don't work, then you need to play around with pp and micmatch parameters. Also, many telecined sources are not simply 3:2 pulldown. You need to walk very carefully through several minutes of your source, at different points in the video, and do so not just one frame at a time, but one field at a time -- use separatefields() or bob().

Last edited by johnmeyer; 14th April 2021 at 21:50.
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2021, 19:24   #3  |  Link
crazyjpeters

Sorry, trying to find time to do this. Can you access this? It's probably not the worst clip, just average.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/0t177..._clip.zip/file
Old 15th April 2021, 20:59   #4  |  Link
johnmeyer

It is standard 3:2 pulldown and using TFM() TDecimate(), as I showed in the script above, works perfectly.
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2021, 02:16   #5  |  Link
crazyjpeters

Is there anything that I could be doing to remove some of the artifacts / blockiness / and minor combing that’s left over?
Old 16th April 2021, 04:16   #6  |  Link
patul

Can you try this script?

Code:
AssumeTFF()
TFM()
TDecimate()
#remove minor combing
vInverse() 

#denoise
FastDegrain()  
#deband
neo_f3kdb() 

Blur(0,1.0).Sharpen(0,0.8)
Change the denoiser and debanding filter as per your liking, I like FastDegrain because, well, it's fast. And you need to tune them according to the video itself. I typically use default, since am just a script kiddy and I don't really know the details.
patul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2021, 18:06   #7  |  Link
crazyjpeters

After fiddling with it a bit it works ok.

Since I'm pulling in MKV container MPEG2, what's the best way to deblock / dering it? Lots of scripts I see use DGindex, but I don't think that will work for me.
Old 17th April 2021, 01:26   #8  |  Link
Richard1485

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjpeters View Post
Since I'm pulling in MKV container MPEG2, what's the best way to deblock / dering it? Lots of scripts I see use DGindex, but I don't think that will work for me.
Yes, it's not a good idea to use DGIndex with MKVs. Presumably, you are using MakeMKV to rip discs; otherwise, I don't see why you'd end up with MPEG-2 in an MKV in the first place. You could simply demux the video to an elementary stream, and then use DGIndex as usual -- no problem there. Its deblocking capabilities are fine for quick work when the blocking is fairly light, and you don't want to bother with an extra plugin. I used to do that on occasion.

For more serious blocking, you can try something like Deblock_QED. It's probably worth reading the thread to find the most up-to-date build. It's been a while since I did any deblocking of MPEG-2...
Old 17th April 2021, 01:41   #9  |  Link
kedautinh12

you can use smoothD2 can deblock any blocky
kedautinh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2021, 11:50   #10  |  Link
hello_hello

My god what an awful show. Seriously, seriously awful.
I remuxed the sample as a TS file with TSMuxer so I could index with DGIndex and deblock with DGDecode. Here's some thoughts...

S2_E09_Sample.mkv

DGDecode_mpeg2source("D:\S2_E09_clip.d2v", cpu=4)
LUTDeCrawl()
TFM(pp=5, Chroma=true)
TDecimate()
MAA()
A = Last
MergeChroma(A, AwarpSharp2(A, Depth=20))
QTGMC(InputType=1, EzDenoise=1)
CropResize(624,468, 18,6,-18,-6, InDAR=15.0/11.0)
B = Last
Soothe(LSFMod(B), B)
GradFun3()
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2021, 12:25   #11  |  Link
real.finder

maybe try with this https://github.com/realfinder/AVS-St...odeblock2.avsi AutoDeblock2/AutoDeblock3

also maybe we can emulate mpeg2source deblock? since we got frame properties in d2vsource, but it will be with another deblocker since mpeg2source use BlindPP and that has no Modern port yet