Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 11th January 2012, 00:21   #8001  |  Link
hissatsu

Issue with blu-ray playback

I'm having an issue with seamless blu-ray playback, using every version of LAV Filters after 0.39. When it switches from one m2ts in the mpls playlist to the next, the screen goes black, but audio continues playing. To get the video back, I have to seek. If I skip chapters forward or back to the point where the m2ts starts, this does not occur; it only happens during normal playback.

I'm using MPC-HC with MadVR. I've tried every version of LAV Filters through 0.44, and I've tried every version of MadVR for the past few months and many builds of MPC-HC, along with other renderers (EVR-CP, Haali), and no setting makes any difference other than going back to LAV Filters 0.39 or earlier. I'd really like to use a newer version, but something appears to have changed with the splitter after that point.
hissatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 01:00   #8002  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber-Mav View Post
yes my cpu can handle xvid playback fine, i just thought i would test it to see if it works. i though the lavcuvid had mpeg4-asp hardware decode working.

could be my graphics driver, im using 275.33. may need to update not sure.
The old LAV CUVID used to, but it was dropped, so don't bother trying other drivers if it's just to test this.
Old 11th January 2012, 01:15   #8003  |  Link
blexley

Newbie question

Is it best to use MPC-HC with LAV Filters. ?
blexley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 02:13   #8004  |  Link
rica

For video: If you have an nVidia; yes. However, if you have an Ati no; since no DXVA support exists on LavVideo yet.
For audio: If you pass-through LPCM or pass-through decoded HD audio; yes. No cons, but pros, I mean.
As for splitter: My favorite, (And don't forget; this project is based on the splitter, mainly.)

Last edited by rica; 11th January 2012 at 02:24.
rica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 03:48   #8005  |  Link
shimaflarex

I've noticed more glitched audio issues due to high CPU usage on LAV Splitter than with Haali.
Is there a way to change the priorities? Maybe lowering the video decoder priority?
Using Reclock with WASAPI.
shimaflarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 05:15   #8006  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by rica View Post
As for splitter: My favorite, (And don't forget; this project is based on the splitter, mainly.)
i like to see the enhancement of the splitter but i cant use it at the moment, cause the splitter doesent support ordered chapters.
its on the todolist but with Low prio.

i hope Nev will implement this feature soon.

the tray icon feature is on the todolist too.
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 06:45   #8007  |  Link
blexley

Quote:
Originally Posted by rica View Post
For video: If you have an nVidia; yes. However, if you have an Ati no; since no DXVA support exists on LavVideo yet.
For audio: If you pass-through LPCM or pass-through decoded HD audio; yes. No cons, but pros, I mean.
Thanks

It's only for an Nvidia card on a desktop computer with stereo speakers but i wasn't sure if MPC-HC was best or another player such as MSplayer.
Old 11th January 2012, 08:54   #8008  |  Link
Mangix
Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by blexley View Post
Newbie question

Is it best to use MPC-HC with LAV Filters. ?
i do and i love it. just make sure to disable all the internal filters or just disable the ones you don't want.
Mangix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 11:11   #8009  |  Link
blexley

Thanks Mangix

Guys i've found a newbies MPC-HC LAV Filters install guide with pictures.

If i paste it up can you check through it to see if it is accurate to follow as i'm unsure about it suggesting Haali’s Media Splitter instead of LAV Splitter and such.Plus it seems biased towards HD content and i wish to be able to play as many formats and containers of SD and HD as possible.

Thanks.
Old 11th January 2012, 11:11   #8010  |  Link
blexley

Setup guide for MPC-HC + madVR

This method will result in significantly more image quality and performance than using CCCP (or anything ffdshow-based, really), so if you’re struggling to play back Hi10P anime, or even regular 1080p, consider trying this. MadVR is updated constantly and uses a very new version of libav for decoding, giving it much more speed than the ridiculously outdated ffdshow-tryouts project, as well as the even more ridiculously CCCP codec pack that is based on it.

Step Zero: Prerequisites

1. Uninstall ALL instances of MPC-HC, CCCP, ffdshow, madVR, Haali, K-lite, CoreAVC etc. you might have on your system.This is a clean guide that requires no other prerequisites to function, and ideally should have none installed either.

Step One: Downloading and Installation

1. Download and install the latest version of MPC-HC (you want the .exe version for an installer) Note: Get the 32-bit version ONLY! The 64-bit version is incompatible with madVR and will not function at all.
http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/downlo...lassic-hc.html

2. Install the LAV Filters. These are necessary for decoding video and audio. Take care while installing to deselect the LAV Splitter:

3. Obtain and install the latest version of Haali’s Media Splitter as LAV Splitter v0.42 still doesn’t support segment linking yet, so playing series releases that have OP/ED as seperate video files won’t playback in each of the episodes.
http://haali.su/mkv/MatroskaSplitter.exe

4. Note: You can skip this step if your PC isn’t very powerful!
Download the latest version of madVR and extract it anywhere you like. Run install.bat inside the folder. DO NOT DELETE THE FOLDER AFTERWARDS, madVR lives inside it and does not copy itself anywhere else. Move it somewhere sensible before installing, for example C:\Program Files\madVR.
Note: Make sure you’re logged in as an Administrator when running this! Do not right click and “run as admin”, log in as admin and run it normally!
http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Step Two: Configuration

1. Open up MPC-HC’s options menu. Under “Internal Filters”, disable everything. You can leave some of the ones on the left active, but make sure you’ve disabled all of the ones not selected here:

2. Under Playback, enable “Auto-load subtitles”

3. Under Subtitles, make sure “Allow animation when buffering” is enabled, and “Maximum texture resolution” is set to “Desktop”:

4. Under Output, choose “madVR” as renderer.
Note: If you skipped madVR, or you’re experiencing lagging, frame drops or poor performance in general, set this to “EVR Custom Pres.”, “Haali Renderer” or “VMR-9 (renderless)” instead – try them in that order until you find one that works.

5. Make sure the LAV Video is selected as default decoder. If in doubt, go to external filters, choose “Add Filter”, select LAV Video Decoder and switch it to “Prefer”:

6. After making the above changes, restart MPC-HC and play back any file. You should notice the madVR icon in the system tray. Right click this to access the settings:

Once inside, disable the “fullscreen exclusive mode” under Rendering -> General Settings. I recommend leaving this off unless you are having playback problems, because it prevents you from taking screenshots and makes the transition to fullscreen very ugly (It also messes up MPC-HC’s interface):

Step Three: Confirmation

1. Play back a Hi10P file and use Ctrl+J to enter the OSD: (If it doesn’t show up or looks completely different, doublecheck output configuration)

Correct

Incorrect

2. Finally, check the “Filters” list (in the right click menu of MPC-HC during playback) and confirm that LAV Video is being used:

Bonus: Adding ffdshow (Optional)

Adding ffdshow will allow you to use its audio decoder (for filters + a more customizable mixer), as well as using it for formats other than AVC1 (H.264), VC1 and MPEG-2. Especially for older 480p and worse content (which isn’t likely to be encoded in AVC1), you can use the ffdshow deblocking or debanding filters to attempt to improve image quality this way.

1. Install the latest ffdshow-tryouts.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffds...eric%20builds/

2. Open ffdshow’s settings dialog (Start -> All Programs -> ffdshow -> Video decoder configuration), under “DirectShow control” set the Merit to normal:

3. Go back to the internal filters menu of MPC-HC and disable all of the remaining transform filters:

4. Double check Step Three to make sure ffdshow doesn’t touch your H.264 video.
Old 11th January 2012, 13:29   #8011  |  Link
Superb

What a crappy guide.
Why use Haali and not LAV Splitter?
Why not install the x64 filters?
Why leave MPC-HC's internal source filters on? (LAV Splitter does a better job)
Why bother w/ ffdshow when you have LAV Video/Audio installed? For the audio mixer? That's it? For video post processing? Newbies don't need it.
Why turn off madVR automatic exclusive full screen mode?
Superb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 13:48   #8012  |  Link
SamuriHL

What the hell was that? Other than completely unnecessary and annoying to those of us on a mobile device. Thanks SO much for that.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
Old 11th January 2012, 13:56   #8013  |  Link
blexley

Thanks for your constructive posts on what a newbie needs to do as a step by step guide of what to adjust and alter when using MPC-HC with LAV Filters.

I'm sure every new user now has better clarification by your comment.
Old 11th January 2012, 14:08   #8014  |  Link
Superb

Instead of being sarcastic and following guides w/o knowing what each step does, simply read about the features of each project and its options. All information is available online.
There's also a "newbies" forum: http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6
Superb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 14:12   #8015  |  Link
SamuriHL

A newbie simply needs to ask and will get help. Spamming the forum with a half a page of large images simply to ask a question is seriously unnecessary. Especially since most of it had nothing to do with lav filters in the first place. To add lav filters to mpc-hc all you need to do is run the lav filters installer, go into options in mpc-hc, disable all the internal filters, go to external filters, add lav splitter, lav video, and lav audio. Set to preferred. Done. No massive post of images necessary.

Old 11th January 2012, 14:16   #8016  |  Link
blexley

How else am i supposed to ask if the guide is accurate without pasting it up for it to be read through.

Telepathy. ?

Because pasting it up got the result i was looking for that it is not accurate , though the abbrasive attitude towards a newbie that doesn't have a clue could have been left out to start with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
A newbie simply needs to ask and will get help. Spamming the forum with a half a page of large images simply to ask a question is seriously unnecessary. Especially since most of it had nothing to do with lav filters in the first place. To add lav filters to mpc-hc all you need to do is run the lav filters installer, go into options in mpc-hc, disable all the internal filters, go to external filters, add lav splitter, lav video, and lav audio. Set to preferred. Done. No massive post of images necessary.

And if that is all you need to do why is there page after page of also running MadVR and FFDshow and AC3filter. ?

It would be nice if nevcairiel added a step by step guide to the first post or to his webpage.

Last edited by blexley; 11th January 2012 at 14:23.
Old 11th January 2012, 14:28   #8017  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
How else am i supposed to ask if the guide is accurate without pasting it up for it to be read through.

Telepathy. ?

Because pasting it up got the result i was looking for that it is not accurate , though the abbrasive attitude towards a newbie that doesn't have a clue could have been left out to start with.

And if that is all you need to do why is there page after page of also running MadVR and FFDshow and AC3filter. ?

It would be nice if nevcairiel added a step by step guide to the first post or to his webpage.

Um by linking to it instead of reposting the whole thing??? Madvr is a renderer so that is fine to add. And not hard. Run the madvr install script and select it in the mpc-hc options. Ffdshow and ac3filter are most definitely not needed unless you're doing post processing...and that is not a newbie thing to be doing. See you're getting information simply by discussion rather than half a page of images. That was my point. You started with the premise that you needed a pretty guide but that isn't really needed. A simple "I'm new and need help setting up mpc-hc with lav filters" would have been sufficient.

Old 11th January 2012, 14:30   #8018  |  Link
fastplayer

Quote:
Where's the link to the source? Do you have permission of the original author of the guide? You're copying and pasting content without naming the source and giving credit.
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 14:33   #8019  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Half of that is unnecessary. Setting LAV video (and ffdshow) to preferred in the external filters options is sufficient, lowering the merit of ffdshow and deactivating the internal transform filters is not required. What is important though is deactivating the transform filters for e.g. Matroska. Also it hardly offers "significantly more image quality" than CCCP. If you want improved subtitle performance I'd rather recommend one of the new vsfilter forks like xy-vsfilter (no DS libass filter yet, sadly, only in mplayer2, VLC and whatnot).
Also why did you go out of your way to say that madVR has up-to-date libav decoders, when your guide explains using LAV Video for that?
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 14:36   #8020  |  Link
blexley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Um by linking to it instead of reposting the whole thing??? Madvr is a renderer so that is fine to add. And not hard. Run the madvr install script and select it in the mpc-hc options. Ffdshow and ac3filter are most definitely not needed unless you're doing post processing...and that is not a newbie thing to be doing. See you're getting information simply by discussion rather than half a page of images. That was my point. You started with the premise that you needed a pretty guide but that isn't really needed. A simple "I'm new and need help setting up mpc-hc with lav filters" would have been sufficient.

Thanks i now have a better understanding what i need to do.

I didn't link to the orginal guide as it is up on a couple of bitorrent sites that shares Hi10P anime and assumed links to a forum sharing would be against the rules.

Thing that is confusing me now is if i add the MadVR render doesn't that cancel out LAV filter. ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Half of that is unnecessary. Setting LAV video (and ffdshow) to preferred in the external filters options is sufficient, lowering the merit of ffdshow and deactivating the internal transform filters is not required. What is important though is deactivating the transform filters for e.g. Matroska. Also it hardly offers "significantly more image quality" than CCCP. If you want improved subtitle performance I'd rather recommend one of the new vsfilter forks like xy-vsfilter (no DS libass filter yet, sadly, only in mplayer2, VLC and whatnot).
Also why did you go out of your way to say that madVR has up-to-date libav decoders, when your guide explains using LAV Video for that?
Thanks sneaker_ger

I'm not sure why they said that about MadVR as i just copied and pasted the only step by step guide i could find at google.

All i want to do is to be able to install a mediaplyer with LAV filters to be able to play as many formats and containers as possible without all these Klite all in one codec type solutions that makes a right mess.

Last edited by blexley; 11th January 2012 at 14:44.

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter